• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long-time lurker here.

Just wanted to note that I've been reading these last few pages with this on in the background
lol.gif

Trump could still massively fuck up international relations. Any plan that doesn't end with him being ousted takes a huge risk on that front.

Yeah, the actual best case scenario of the GOP is that everybody connected to Trump including Trump gets involved, somebody like Ryan or Hatch end up as POTUS where they have a fighting chance to either run in 2020 as the 'clean' alternative to Trump or by holding the seat warm for a random Republican governor in 2020 who hopefully was at least hesitant about Trump.

I'm fine with Pence. At the very least he's qualified to be president and is not guilty of treason, neither of which can be said about Trump. We'll see a return to Bush era policy towards Russia, and likely new sanctions. Pence will have to essentially distance himself from Trump's presidency by being tougher on Russia than anyone.

We're discussing a hypothetical with no historical example to relate it to. This would be new territory: a president being removed from office and likely jailed for treason or criminal activity. One thing we can assume is that it'll do severe damage to the Republican Party. Will the party be killed? Of course not. Nixon didn't end the GOP either. But Nixon essentially went down by himself whereas Trump is apparently surrounded by republican officials who also sold out the country. There will be damage.

Pence will be a lame duck and won't have much of any time to get things done.

rjinaz

Pence would be extremely aggressive towards LGBt rights in particular, far more than Trump.

I seriously doubt it. If all that unfolded, Pence would spend the rest of the term keeping his head down trying to save the party. That and as the above poster just stated, he wouldn't have much time to accomplish much even if he wanted to.

royalan

I seriously doubt it. If all that unfolded, Pence would spend the rest of the term keeping his head down trying to save the party. That and as the above poster just stated, he wouldn't have much time to accomplish much even if he wanted to.

Well...Pence really wouldn't have to do much to be really aggressive toward LGBT rights, because a large swath of the country is already primed for it. All he'd have to do is have the DoJ turn a blind eye to Republicans around the country screwing us, and put up SC judges just as a religiously dogmatic as he is.

Then again, this already seems to be the game plan of the current administration, and most Republicans. So really, we'd be no more fucked under Pence than we already are.

So when is Wall Street going to realize that this administration is completely incapable of passing tax reform, or any other major legislation for that matter?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Makes zero sense to do this if he actually wants to work with these people in the future.

So when is Wall Street going to realize that this administration is completely incapable of passing tax reform, or any other major legislation for that matter?

I still think tax reform will be a much easier sell than healthcare. With GOP tax reform, it can be structured to where nearly every group gets something back.

royalan

Hmmm, just pondering aloud here...

But lets just say that Trump one day gets the Freedom Caucus so pissed that they would be willing to align with Democrats to begin impeachment proceedings.

Could Ryan stop them?

Would he at this point?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hmmm, just pondering aloud here...

But lets just say that Trump one day gets the Freedom Caucus so pissed that they would be willing to align with Democrats to begin impeachment proceedings.

Could Ryan stop them?

Would he, at this point?

You know, it's funny--the other day I joked about Ryan falling upwards and where he goes from here, stating that by historical precedent, he'll now move on to being the VP.

If Trump is actually impeached, Ryan would do that very thing.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
You know, it's funny--the other day I joked about Ryan falling upwards and where he goes from here, stating that by historical precedent, he'll now move on to being the VP.

If Trump is actually impeached, Ryan would do that very thing.

Pence can choose his VP if I am not mistaken. This is assuming Pence is not attached to anything.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
There's been another mass shooting at a Cincinnati nightclub. 1 dead and 15 injured.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/us/ohio-nightclub-shooting/

I feel like it's a bit nuts that this would be a fifth or sixth news item down the list if you consider the past week

Fuck, man. I saw this and thought "wow, I'm glad only one person died." How fucked up is that? "Only" one person.

Fuck.

Wonder how the administration is going to handle this.

I wonder how happy Paul Ryan would be if he could get the VP position alongside Pence. No more having to deal with the mess that is the Republican Congress/Senate, he pretty much gets a cushy job title and probably a lot less stress.

Gotchaye

I wonder how happy Paul Ryan would be if he could get the VP position alongside Pence. No more having to deal with the mess that is the Republican Congress/Senate, he pretty much gets a cushy job title and probably a lot less stress.

It doesn't work this way. The Speaker of the House becomes President if the President leaves office and there is no Vice President to replace him. But the Speaker does not automatically become Vice President if that office is vacant; instead the President appoints a new one with the approval of Congress -- see the 25th Amendment.

It doesn't work this way. The Speaker of the House becomes President if the President leaves office and there is no Vice President to replace him. But the Speaker does not automatically become Vice President if that office is vacant; instead the President appoints a new one with the approval of Congress -- see the 25th Amendment.
I'm aware of that. I know that Pence becomes President if Trump is out of office and was just theory crafting under the idea Pence would willingly choose Ryan.

JP_

Banned
Fuck, man. I saw this and thought "wow, I'm glad only one person died." How fucked up is that? "Only" one person.

Fuck.

Wonder how the administration is going to handle this.

Is the shooter brown? "THIS IS WHY WE NEED THE TRAVEL BAN AND WALL"

Is the shooter white? *crickets*

sazzy

CNN is showing a documentary titled, The Most Powerful Man in the World, narrated by Fareed Zakaria.

Its on Putin

kess

Just reminded that some poor university is going to have the orange blob do a commencement rally speech.

Legigh University tried this once, chose Trump, and then the deans stripped the students from choosing their own speaker.

The next year, the students wanted Bill Cosby over Carl Sagan.

NEW: Trump to sign a significant executive order Tuesday: It's on Obama's Clean Power Plan and regulations regarding coal development.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/846001046786887682

Trump is feeling emasculated so he's going to sign some EOs. I'm actually worried about the dreamers because when Trump realizes he can't pass a single policy he's going to lose his mind and hurt as many people as possible

Edit: I would honestly boycott my graduation if that turd showed up. It's not worth it.

Plinko

Pence would have to nominate him no? It's not like everyone on the line of succession moves up one spot. Either pence and trump both go down then he's president or pence would bring him as VP

Pence can choose his VP if I am not mistaken. This is assuming Pence is not attached to anything.

Right--just operating under the idea that Pence would stick with line of succession.

Today's fun game: Watching Gowdy immediately begin stumbling when he goes from stating responsible behavior and facts to spinning what he knows is bullshit or complete non sequitors on the Sunday talk shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom