• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
To change the rules? It's possible. They would only need 3 defections. Murkowkski+Collins+other.

The impression I get every time this comes up is that senators in general really like the filibuster (makes them more important individually), don't want it removed, and resent the pressure from external sources to get rid of it. This is probably generational.

Isn't Coons voting no on Gorsuch?
Even if he is, he's voting yes on ending cloture.

I think the most possible path to Gorsuch getting past without the nuclear option is the Romney five + Bennet, Coons, and Warner. We'll see how Schumer can do with holding his caucus in line.

on the other hand, groups like Cato or Heritage or the Kochs are pumping tons of money and pressure into getting him through. I don't think they're all that threatening to Murkowski or Collins but I'm not sure if there's any other Republicans who can resist that sort of pressure. Maybe McCain?

Someone on that twitter thread said pence can't cast a tiebreaker on a rules vote before the Senate.

Anyone know if that's accurate? If so Collins and murkowski alone would be enough

Someone on that twitter thread said pence can't cast a tiebreaker on a rules vote before the Senate.

Anyone know if that's accurate? If so Collins and murkowski alone would be enough

I was actually going to ask about this because it seemed weird that the VP could have sway over rules of the Senate. I was under the impression he just breaks ties for specific votes, not on rule changes.

pigeon

Banned
HE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE A FUCKING SENATOR

oh wait what, is that true?

It's actually even worse than that because Coons could've blue slipped him, I'm pretty sure.

I don't think it's true that Pence can't break some ties. Pence is the president of the Senate. The only requirement is that he actually has to be there and presiding, I think.

It's actually even worse than that because Coons could've blue slipped him, I'm pretty sure.

I don't think it's true that Pence can't break some ties. Pence is the president of the Senate. The only requirement is that he actually has to be there and presiding, I think.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. So it'd be three votes. Fine.

Diablos

If the WH is canceling this meeting to "buy time" it just further shows how inept they all are. The IC is so far up their ass they probably don't even need this meeting just yet.

Uh what? Why's everyone mad at Chris Coons? I saw the clip and he's basically saying that:

Gorsuch is going to get a vote because Dems can't really deny him one.

It's going to have to be 60 votes.

Republicans are probably gonna try to pass him using the nuclear option and he thinks that is tragic.

He's concerned that the Senate is becoming more vindictive and reactionary.

Yeah I think McCain is the likeliest third senator here. Probably(?) doesn't have to worry about getting reeelected and SCOTUS overturned one of his key legislative accomplishments and Gorsuch is likely to uphold that ruling.

Which actually reminds me of something I'm not sure about with respect to SCOTUS rulings. If Citizens United was overturned, would McCain-Feingold go back to being law at that point or would it need to be passed again?
Uh what? Why's everyone mad at Chris Coons? I saw the clip and he's basically saying that:

Republicans are probably gonna try to pass him using the nuclear option and he thinks that is tragic.

He wants to let Gorsuch through and is complaining that Democrats are going to try and block him. He's a shitty conservative Democrat from a safe blue state and we shouldn't even have to worry about his loser ass voting for Scalia Jr.

Because he's much more conservative than he needs to be as an accidental Senator from a blue state and Delaware Democrats generally suck.

What's Spicer doing right now? Don't want to watch stream at work.

He was given a question regarding the rise of racist crime in the US. Instead of giving some kind of nice statement about it, Spicer deflected about where the "blame" was when there were claims of antisemitism in the White House.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Spicer's response was "Trump was right! You need to apologize to us!" in regards to hate crimes.

Only two of the bomb threats I recall were linked to individuals who weren't acting out of anti-semitic hate (a jilted reporter, and a Jewish individual I recall?) but this totally overlooks the increase in anti-semitic rhetoric directly related to Trump followers.

DonShula

My casual perusal of the Wikipedia "nuclear option" article indicates a majority is required for a rules change, and therefore a 50-50 split would result in no change. It isn't a "tie" per se, because it's simply not a majority.

But hey, it's the Internet, so I make no claim to accuracy. I'm certainly not educated on this.

Ac30

*Is* becoming vindictive and reactionary? That ship sailed. If they nuke the fillibuster it'll just get far, far more reactionary.

Blader

I think this is a fight the Democrats can absolutely win if they just hold steady for 2 years. Just look at how the SC was treated in 2016. Nobody voted for or against someone due to it. And eventually it'll just fade out of the news as people are going to jail and the government catches fire from not having a budget passed.

When Rome is burning, who cares about an appointment to the council?

I don't think that's really true. And honestly, how many Hillary supporters (myself included) tried to entice -- successfully or not -- Bernie supporters by saying that even if you don't like her, voting for Hillary ensures a progressive justice on the Supreme Court for the next couple decades?

I think SCOTUS had a much larger impact on this race than it has had in previous elections.

pigeon

Banned
My casual perusal of the Wikipedia "nuclear option" article indicates a majority is required for a rules change, and therefore a 50-50 split would result in no change. It isn't a "tie" per se, because it's simply not a majority.

But hey, it's the Internet, so I make no claim to accuracy. I'm certainly not educated on this.

The president of the senate, which is the Vice President, gets to vote in tied votes only. Most of the time this doesn't come up and the Vice President delegates presiding over the Senate to the president pro tempore of the Senate (always the most senior senator from the majority party), who delegates it to junior senators so they can learn parliamentary procedure and he can get some rest, but senators who are presiding don't get tiebreaking votes.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
C78iin4XgAAhC97.jpg

Chairman Burr and Vice Chairman Warner Statement on Kushner's Voluntary Participation in SSCI Investigation

All of Jared Kushner's tweets are gone: http://www.twitter.com/jaredkushner

He is getting ready.

That is just how it is always phrased and does not imply the VP cannot exercise his right to be the tiebreaking vote. I don't see any mention that there is an exception for the VP's vote in rules changes.

I don't think that's really true. And honestly, how many Hillary supporters (myself included) tried to entice -- successfully or not -- Bernie supporters by saying that even if you don't like her, voting for Hillary ensures a progressive justice on the Supreme Court for the next couple decades?

I think SCOTUS had a much larger impact on this race than it has had in previous elections.

I don't think the SCOTUS had any impact at all. It's pretty obvious trying to get liberals to vote due to the Supreme Court was pointless.

I don't think the SCOTUS situation would have changed the election at all had it gone differently.

]I think this is a fight the Democrats can absolutely win if they just hold steady for 2 years.[/B] Just look at how the SC was treated in 2016. Nobody voted for or against someone due to it. And eventually it'll just fade out of the news as people are going to jail and the government catches fire from not having a budget passed.

When Rome is burning, who cares about an appointment to the council?

The GOP will have a bigger majority in the senate come 2018, so what do you mean by this?

The GOP will have a bigger majority in the senate come 2018, so what do you mean by this?

There is no way you actually believe this when the GOP is only 3 senators up, their party is currently falling apart, and Trump is sitting at the mid 30s and falling. I don't care at all what the seats are on the map. The map for 2006 was bad for Democrats as well.

It would be unheard of. The Democrats would literally need to not even run people for the GOP to gain seats. 2018 is the Democrats' to lose, and they won't.

Stan is especially mean to The Count who he constantly tries to get deported. However, The Count often antagonizes Stan by counting how many more votes Hillary Clinton received than Donald Trump in the Presidential election. Their playful banter will surely keep viewers entertained for years to come.
this part killed me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I always wonder why they do this? It looks bad, and they can get the tweets back easily. It's just dumb.

That's why I was puzzled by Andrea Mitchell's report that staff were ordered to purge their phones. Most likely, everybody doing that has been being tracked for months now.

Either way, with Nunes doing his crazy thing, these tweets being deleted, staff being told to purge phones--something is clearly going to be happening soon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The impression I get every time this comes up is that senators in general really like the filibuster (makes them more important individually), don't want it removed, and resent the pressure from external sources to get rid of it. This is probably generational.

I would prefer if they moved back to an actual filibuster, and not the silent filibuster where they just refuse to vote for cloture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom