• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://thenib.com/the-gop-s-big-healthcare-reveal
8pTI466.jpg

Perfect.

Tapper also defended the IPhone comment...

Also did you read the tweet chain?

Someone says it's a different context and all Tapper says is Wrong. Like that's the level of intellectual analysis CNN guys do.. They're fucking cowards and Trump isn't going to love them and let them into the Cool Kids clubhouse now matter how much they say see we're mean to the left too.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Like the only thing they saw is that Obama and Carson both referred to slaves as "immigrants"... ignoring the rest of what they were saying

Pixieking

Banned
Yup yup yup. Have some training sessions there as well as a lot of networking opportunities. If all this thing is is a platform for already prominent Dems to give speeches it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

Hoping for the former... expecting the latter. :(

Elsewhere...

Kendall Breitman‏Verified account @KendallBreitman 9m9 minutes ago

JUST NOW on @MSNBC: Jennifer Palmieri calls James Comey a "particularly infuriating character" who is "protecting his own reputation" (!!)

I would assume she'd like to call Comey many other things, but that was just what she could get away with on TV.

tbm24

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Like the only thing they saw is that Obama and Carson both referred to slaves as "immigrants"... ignoring the rest of what they were saying
It's not surprising when you remember what dominated the 2016 election news cycle was optics, nothing else. That's all people care about from what I can tell. If it sounds a certain way, that's all you need for the tweets and facebook posts that will be attached.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A few weeks ago I was asking which democrat would be the one to stand up and come to the forefront to lead into 2018/2020.

I really think Al Franken has stepped into that role. He has been public about each issue when it occurs, and was extremely vocal about the Sessions/perjury issue. I truly believe democrats need to unite behind this guy. Jason Kander has been great on Twitter, but that's about all I've seen from him.

Pixieking

Banned
Kander's pushing voting rights issues with Let America Vote. I can see him trying for some state role in 2020 - Senator again, maybe? - but it definitely looks like he's taking a separate-but-parallel road to Dem politics for now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kander's pushing voting rights issues with Let America Vote. I can see him trying for some state role in 2020 - Senator again, maybe? - but it definitely looks like he's taking a separate-but-parallel road to Dem politics for now.

Right. Different path.

I'd love to see a Franken/Kander ticket.

(MIDDLETOWN, CT) March 6, 2017 – The 2016 presidential campaign broke the mold when it comes to patterns of political advertising. But, in a new publication, the Wesleyan Media Project directors say “Not so fast” to those who argue that advertising no longer matters in elections.

The article published in The Forum: A Journal of Applied Research in Contemporary Politics (open access through mid-April 2017) shows that the presidential race featured far less advertising than the previous cycle, a huge imbalance in the number of ads across candidates, and one candidate who almost ignored discussions of policy. Yet, at the congressional level, political advertising appeared far more ordinary. The authors share lessons about advertising in the 2016 campaign, and argue that its seeming lack of effectiveness may owe to the unusual nature of the presidential campaign with one nonconventional candidate and the other using an unconventional message strategy.

http://mediaproject.wesleyan.edu/blog/2016-election-study-published/

pdf link of full study: https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/for.2016.14.issue-4/for-2016-0040/for-2016-0040.pdf

Pixieking

Banned
There is no Missouri Senate election in 2020.

Ah, yes, I'm being a dumb-ass.

Governorship is more likely if he still wants to move up in Missouri politics.

And this makes sense, if only because if he tries and fails to become Senator again in the next MO Senate election, his image is shot.

Right. Different path.

I'd love to see a Franken/Kander ticket.

That'd be interesting to see... Kander's youth would definitely energise the wing that was unenthusiastic about Kaine.

kirblar

A few weeks ago I was asking which democrat would be the one to stand up and come to the forefront to lead into 2018/2020.

I really think Al Franken has stepped into that role. He has been public about each issue when it occurs, and was extremely vocal about the Sessions/perjury issue. I truly believe democrats need to unite behind this guy. Jason Kander has been great on Twitter, but that's about all I've seen from him.
Whoever wins the primary should seriously consider him as VP.

Jeels

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

I have tremendous respect for women and the many roles they serve that are vital to the fabric of our society and our economy.
6:12 AM · Mar 8, 2017

Surejan.gif

Fuck this guy. Everything has to be about him. A more appropriate tweet would be talking about the fact that it's national women's day and maybe some of the contribution women have made, or how much work left there is done for gender equality.

But no, his tweet starts with "I". It's about him and his "respect" for women.

Agree. He's been he biggest and most consistent voice after the election. I think he could be the right guy to defeat Trump.

Vixdean

I'd love for Al Franken to make a run in the primary. His liberal credentials are unassailable and doesn't really have many scandals or political baggage. Has been great in his role as an attack dog lately.

kirblar

Dont. Run. Old. People.

I love Al but thus is clearly a losing strategy for the party. Dems win with younger candidates. Blank slates are better.

Blader

I think if a Democrat wins in 2020, Kander will likely get a cabinet role. Secretary of State, maybe?

I love Kander, but a Missouri Secretary of State with no higher political experience should not be serving as America's top diplomat. Rex Tillerson is way more qualified for that role than Kander would be.

Kander is young and charismatic and a strong speaker and someone who doesn't shy away from progressive values without ever coming off as being obnoxious or condescending about it, as liberals tend to be from time to time. I don't know if I'd want him on a ticket in 3 years, but I'd definitely rather him be a nominee's running mate -- where we can capitalize on Kander's strengths -- then toss him into a largely non-public-facing cabinet role after the fact.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why put Kander on a VP ticket? If you lose, he's associated with that loss. If you win, he's stuck in an entirely useless role that almost never serves as a successful launching point for anything. He's just not going to be useful on the national stage in 2020. If you lose in 2020, he's the back-up for 2024.

Why put Kander on a VP ticket? If you lose, he's associated with that loss. If you win, he's stuck in an entirely useless role that almost never serves as a successful launching point for anything. He's just not going to be useful on the national stage in 2020. If you lose in 2020, he's the back-up for 2024.
Yeah he's gotta go governor if he wants to run for higher office again.

Blader

Reading about Rod Rosenstein and seems like he follows Trump's pattern of nightmarish first choice, replaced with pretty solid second chance.

Plinko

You mean like how republicans blackballed Ryan after his VP loss?

Oh wait--he is now Speaker of the House.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Oh wait--he is Speaker of the House.

Right - a useless position for influencing how people see politics and the way they're likely to vote. It's not like Ryan being Speaker of the House was a game-changer in Trump's election. He made no difference at all either way. If you want to put Kander somewhere like that, be my guest. It's a complete waste, though.

State rep shocked by "insane amount of drinking" at Rhode Island capitol

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- A new state lawmaker said she’s surprised by the “insane amount of drinking” that goes on in the Rhode Island State House.

Providence Democratic Rep. Moira Walsh told local radio station WPRO-AM on Tuesday that lawmakers have “file cabinets full of booze.” She described how they recently took shots on the floor of the House of Representatives to celebrate Dominican Republic Independence Day.

“I am probably going to get in a lot of trouble for saying this, but the drinking! It is the drinking that blows my mind,” she told talk show host Matt Allen, who asked what surprised her most about being in government. “You cannot operate a motor vehicle when you’ve had two beers, but you can make laws that affect people’s lives forever when you’re half in the bag? That’s outrageous.”
Joking with WPRO’s host Tuesday about the possibility of a police checkpoint outside the legislators’ parking lot, Walsh said, “I’m going to be the person who ruined drinking at the State House. They’ll love me forever.”

You need to loosen up, baby. [/s]

Blader

Ryan was already a congressman though, and is (for some fucking reason) popular enough in his district to win re-elections for the rest of his life. Kander is still in state politics, and not even particularly high state politics, so if he's on a losing ticket he doesn't have a safe job to retreat to afterward.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I didnt watch her segment but Chris Steele coming out of hiding honestly is one of the biggest head scratchers right now. I mean Russians literally kill people like him. He is openly returning to his prior work. He compiled one of the most bombshell things ever created. I dont get what the fuck is happening. Is he gonna be surrounded by some form of heavy security at all times or something? Did he already unload all his evidence to brits or something?
He probably handed it to a number of agencies and press outlets with an "if I die clause".

Ryan was already part of leadership and had his own brand independent of Romney. Kander is a one-term Secretary of State who ran a surprisingly successful but still failed Senate campaign. Totally different situations.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Eh, there's a missing context to that...

Its funny to remember that they basically had to beg Ryan to be the speaker.

Which is this. Ryan became Speaker of the House because no one else wanted the job, lol.

My brother used to work in DC as an aide to Senator Cantwell, and from what he tells me this is also applicable to DC and every state capital.

Accurate. I didn't go to DC because of that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom