• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the whole article, or just the headline? They have two hopes of passing it with reconciliation.

1. The parliamentarian agrees with their expanded definition of what "directly" affects the budget

2. The vice president or majority party leader overrules the parliamentarian.

I don't know how likely either of those are of actually happening, but that's clearly their plan.

Hmm, I actually read the entire article!

1. To point one:

As Vox notes, it's pretty much impossible to pass this with reconciliation.

2. To point two:

They're not going nuclear for Trumpcare.

But wouldnt anything Rand comes up with be even worse? Like they want to go back to the time where you didnt get health insurance unless you were employed.

Most likely. Rand Paul--as a Libertarian--would rather completely gut Obamacare and instead favor some kind of community level plans where you exchange work for healthcare or some craziness.

I think he is being facetious here.

I think he's just an idiot. Likely trying to play both sides since Rand has hitched his wagon to the "this is Obamacare 2.0" crowd. It's going to fail.

lol

C6W4f47U0AADDqC.jpg:large

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I actually read the entire article!

1. To point one:

2. To point two:

The point is this was clearly intended to never even touch a 60 vote filibuster or be the reason for a nuke of the 60 vote filibuster.

There's also option 3, modify it into something that can get past the senate parliamentarian.

We are talking about an environment where Elizabeth Warren was allowed to be censored for criticizing Sessions on a crazy reading of senate rules.

The point is this was clearly intended to never even touch a 60 vote filibuster or be the reason for a nuke of the 60 vote filibuster.

There's also option 3, modify it into something that can get past the senate parliamentarian.

We are talking about an environment where Elizabeth Warren was allowed to be censored for criticizing Sessions on a crazy reading of senate rules.

The chances of them even doing super sneaky not nuclear but actually nuclear for Trumpcare is very low.

I mean, maybe they go nuclear later, but not now. And they're certainly not doing it for this bill.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The chances of them even doing super sneaky not nuclear but actually nuclear for Trumpcare is very low.

I mean, maybe they go nuclear later, but not know. And they're certainly not doing it for this bill.

It's not a super low chance at all. This has been openly talked about for months. They absolutely love the idea of partly nuking the filibuster this way because it 100% cannot be used to increase spending.

Them going forward with this bill labeled litterally titled as budget reconciliation shows their intent to use this process.

And for the record, vox doesn't even call it "nearly impossible" which is why I questioned your reading of the article. An interpretation of the rules that's "really hard to defend" and goes against senate norms is certainly not impossible with these republicans. That's exactly the words I would use to call the censuring of Warren. There was even speculation at the time that the whole Warren censure was another trial balloon for this upcoming senate rule battle on budget reconciliation.

I would be telling you to wait and see this become a really hot issue soon, but sounds like this bill is going to die in the house before any of it can happen.

Chumley

Banned
Oh my fucking god Jeffrey lord on CNN right now.

He needs to be fired. Immediately. Saying Trump is playing 3D chess by accusing Obama of wiretapping.

It's not a super low chance at all. This has been openly talked about for months. They absolutely love the idea of partly nuking the filibuster this way because it 100% cannot be used to increase spending.

Them going forward with this bill labeled litterally titled as budget reconciliation shows their intent to use this process.

And for the record, vox doesn't even call it "nearly impossible" which is why I questioned your reading of the article. An interpretation of the rules that's "really hard to defend" and goes against senate norms is certainly not impossible with these republicans. That's exactly the words I would use to call the censuring of Warren. There was even speculation at the time that the whole Warren censure was another trial balloon for this senate rule battle.

I mean, this reads like you don't understand any of the power players in the Republican caucus, the dynamics of why the filibuster is important to the current Senate leadership, or if there are even 50 votes to nuke the filibuster, but okay!!

They used budget reconciliation to repeal Obamacare, which they can do. They cannot use it to pass a new bill, unless you believe that the entire Senate is behind Ted Cruz's methods, which, lol.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh my fucking god Jeffrey lord on CNN right now.

He needs to be fired. Immediately. Saying Trump is playing 3D chess by accusing Obama of wiretapping.

lol, it's not even fooling 100% of his diehards. The whole bullshit lie he came up with backfired worse than most of his bullshit.

I read that as Trump saying Rand will eventually fall in line with Ryan's great plan because Obamacare sux worse. "With the" instead of "with a".

But it's trump words mean nothing so who knows. I hope he's bailing for entertainment purposes.

Ah, good distinction. I think my mind just assumed he meant the latter.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, this reads like you don't understand any of the power players in the Republican caucus, the dynamics of why the filibuster is important to the current Senate leadership, or if there are even 50 votes to nuke the filibuster, but okay!!

They used budget reconciliation to repeal Obamacare, which they can do. They cannot use it to pass a new bill, unless you believe that the entire Senate is behind Ted Cruz's methods, which, lol.

I am 100% not talking about them nuking the filibuster. I am talking about them stretching the rules around budget reconciliation, which can be used as a tool to get around the filibuster, but is still extremely different from nuking the filibuster as there are many other restrictions to budget reconciliation. Why do you keep conflating it like i'm talking about them nuking the filibuster? And why do you think they titled it a budget reconciliation bill if they don't plan on using budget reconciliation?

Reread that vox article to see what sort of norms I expect them to break, which are not the filibuster. I don't expect them to go full nuclear on senate rules altogether like ted cruz, but I do expect them to try to expand the definition of budget reconciliation. The senate parliamentarian isn't exactly an infallible judge, and I already said why I believe that is the case.

McConnell is clearly not a warrior for senate norms given his role in obstruction of Obama. He is potentially worried about giving up the democrats as useful cover for certain house bills not passing, but this still gives him tons of power in saying what is and is not acceptable as budget reconciliation, while still maintaining complete cover of blaming democrats when bills they don't like passes. It also has other limitations baked in to make it not benefit Democrats as much if they were to gain power.

And I think people are really overselling establishment pushback against this bill for going too far. The pushback for it going too far is almost entirely from the outside. The pushback on the inside are entirely from the ones that think this doesn't go far enough. Between worries about a blowback if they do nothing, knowledge that need the freedom caucus to pass it, and a personal want for obamacare to be repealed, this is not a bill McConnell wants to hold up.

To say otherwise seems to me like a deep misunderstanding of republican interparty dynamics and senate rules.

I don't even think this bill will get 50 votes if they tried to ram it through the Senate. We already have what like 4-5 Republican's who aren't happy with it and every Democrat against it? This is all assuming it even clears the House which I highly doubt.

I mean, the thing about Republican intraparty dynamics right now is they don't even seem to be a functional party at the federal level. That we're this far in and they've done essentially nothing with a trifecta is not a sign of strength.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
tbh this seems like your post, but I gues we'll see!

We probably wont if this fails in the House.

And I wish I least knew what your objection is since I know I'm sometimes wrong. I've probably been making a mistake trying to guess at it and arguing to that. But if you don't want to tell me why I'm wrong, whatever.

Teggy

How long until Trump tweets this theory?

Dell Cameron‏ @dellcam

So, here's where this is going: Two Russian websites & Milo Yiannopoulos have begun pushing the theory that CIA hacked the Dems.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't even think this bill will get 50 votes if they tried to ram it through the Senate. We already have what like 4-5 Republican's who aren't happy with it and every Democrat against it? This is all assuming it even clears the House which I highly doubt.

Oh please.

Portman: i dont like it!!!

*mcconnell changes a letter on the cover*

Portman: it is fixed!!!!

they are not passing up a chance to repeal obamacare. DO U PPL UNDERSTAND THAT

Someone on fox just tried to pass the idea that young people just don't want to buy insurance, but they forget that millennials can't really afford it unless they work at a place with good insurance. Not many millennials can pay 350 a month for healthcare, 500 a month for student loans, rent, cost of living, food, etc

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please.

Exactly.

I have a lot more hope in house republicans thinking good is the enemy of perfect than senate republicans actually acting on their more moderate statements.

Crocodile

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231673466 said:
Russian Maddow is working overtime. Good stuff.

Just for those curious
-more of the "dossier" got confirmed
-Chris Steele came out of hiding
-Intelligence committees are dragging their feet :/

Oh please.

The House introduced its bill without any Senate consideration with that chamber holding a 2-seat majority. Yes, there's obvious room to fuck this up, especially if they're not allowed to use reconciliation, which they probably won't be able to!

I'm just thinking about how monumentally stupid Jason Chaffetz iPhone comment really was. He's literally saying that spending on Healthcare should take precedent over literally everything that drives our economy. Nah man, who needs people buying Cars, Electronics, Homes, or going out to Eat when they could spend all of their funds on Health Insurance! I'm sure this won't cost any jobs...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The House introduced its bill without any Senate consideration with that chamber holding a 2-seat majority. Yes, there's obvious room to fuck this up, especially if they're not allowed to use reconciliation, which they probably won't be able to!

When was the last time the senate didn't dramatically disappoint you?

The freedom caucus isn't voting for something they have branded obamacare light. A full repeal has a better chance of passing

Edit: Hawaii is challenging the new ban

kirblar

Nothing's getting passed because they're completely incapable of functioning when the freedom caucus wants a full repeal and McConnell wants nothing to do with it due to it being an immediate backfire in 2018. And that's before we mention that Ryan's a ideologue and a moron.

I dunno, I think this could be passed. I'm sure changes can be made to appeal to the Freedom Caucus.

But I don't see how that would be anything other than political suicide at this point. What it would do to the healthcare market is disastrous.

I also need to see what AARP says about it.

I dunno, I think this could be passed. I'm sure changes can be made to appeal to the Freedom Caucus.

But I don't see how that would be anything other than political suicide at this point. What it would do to the healthcare market is disastrous.

I also need to see what AARP says about it.

The freedom caucus wants a straight up repeal. I'm not sure what changes besides scrapping this could make this appealing to them

sphagnum

Banned
Was there some Wiki-Leaks drop today to distract from all the Trump nonsense?

They released a whole bunch of files that detail some of the ways that the CIA spies on everyone electronically. Some people are trying to spread the idea that the CIA uses this stuff to change the appearance of where a hack came from and that the CIA were the ones who hacked the DNC and Podesta but made it look like Russia so they could blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom