• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
All Trump really needs to do to pull himself out of this is to do what he actually ran on: doing super populist healthcare reform + infrastructure with Dems. Imagine the headlines. Imagine the chyrons. Go full public option/single payer. Sign some free college bill.

People don't care about the racism. That's what they voted for (certainly not the #betterway)! They just don't want this Paul Ryan Ayn Rand-fetish bullshit, and certainly not when it has the veneer of tolerance and inclusivity (reality be damned).

That's not going to work.

A terrorist attack?

Blader

Steve Benen‏ @stevebenen
Trump's approval among Republican voters in Quinnipiac's March 7 poll: 91%
In its March 22 poll: 81%
In the Quinnipiac poll out today: 79%

Jesse Ferguson‏ @JesseFFerguson
BREAKING. New Quinnipiac poll

Trump job approval

Approval - 35%
Disapprove - 57%

Men disapprove by 12 pts
White voters disapprove by 5pts

Sounds like it's time for another healthcare bill.

Nah. It'll take a disaster or time for people to feel the effects of how bad his presidency is to reach that.

Imagine a disaster happens and he goes to play golf. People will be out for blood.

Also, re: the polls, I don't think people take into account just how much Republicans were taken aback by Trump attacking the FC.

Things are starting to get insane. Trump admin/family continue to push the "fake news" spin on everything meanwhile actually promoting fake news cernovich as real news. INSANE. And then you got all these actual news reports from respected journalists called fake news by trumpsters (almost unbelieveable these still exist). INSANITY.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...writer-who-pushed-pizzagate-conspiracy-theory

President Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. tweeted praise Tuesday for writer Mike Cernovich, a promoter of the "Pizzagate" conspiracy theory, saying he deserved a Pulitzer Prize for his scoop on a story about former national security adviser Susan Rice requesting the "unmasking" of American citizens connected to Trump in intelligence reports.

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway also praised Cernovich this week, calling his interview on CBS's "60 Minutes" a "must-see ratings bonanza."

He introduced the Muslim ban after Paris, no?

The electorate is stupid and racist. Trump needs boogeymen to sustain his image of a strongman. Eh.

The Muslim ban is wildly unpopular and a huge failure for him, so I'm not really sure what you're going for here.

Trump is awful at handling things, even things that would normally help a conservative government.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The Muslim ban is wildly unpopular and a huge failure for him, so I'm not really sure what you're going for here.

Trump is awful at handling things, even things that would normally help a conservative government.

I thought I remember polling being mixed at the time.
The court overturning it and the absolutely moronic implementation of it i'm sure did not help though.

jtb

Banned

I guess.

I think Trump is scary charismatic and has deceptively good political instincts, even if he is surrounded by idiots and is, himself, an idiot. It's not unimaginable to see even someone as stubborn and stupid as Trump growing into the job.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess.

I think Trump is scary charismatic and has deceptively good political instincts, even if he is surrounded by idiots and is, himself, an idiot. It's not unimaginable to see even someone as stubborn and stupid as Trump growing into the job.

That would require him to be capable of self-reflection.

Eat shit O'Reilly.

C8lyg2IV0AAi5U4.jpg

His numbers got worse after those attacks though because he doesn't have the demeanor to handle them. I know everyone wants to compare him to Erdogan or Putin, but Trump doesn't actually have the persona of strength to use coups or attacks in his favor; he just looks whiny and desperate, which is the opposite of a strongman.

Crocodile

The problem for Trump is that the things he wants to do that aren't super racist or political suicide (UHC and infrastructure) are things none of the Republicans in Congress want to do and the only reason Trump isn't in handcuffs right now (even putting aside the Russia stuff) is because Republicans in Congress are looking the other way for all his business bullshit.

jtb

Banned
That would require him to be capable of self-reflection.

He reinvented himself after failing in the real-estate world out of desperation and necessity.

I'm not saying it's likely, but for someone who sees the world in such bleak, absolute zero-sum terms, it's a possibility. A small one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The problem for Trump is that the things he wants to do that aren't super racist or political suicide (UHC and infrastructure) are things none of the Republicans in Congress want to do and the only reason Trump isn't in handcuffs right now (even putting aside the Russia stuff) is because Republicans in Congress are looking the other way for all his business bullshit.

Does he really?
It's so difficult to tell what he actually wants to do.

New GA-6 poll:

http://www.11alive.com/news/politic...es-republican-stronghold-district-6/428494693

SurveyUSA

Ossoff: 43%
Handel: 15%
Gray: 14%
Moody: 7%
Other Candidates: 15%
Undecided: 7%

POLL BREAKDOWNS:

Support bases for each candidate split pretty evenly between mean and women. Ossoff polled slightly better with women gaining 44% of their vote compared with 40% of the male vote.

Younger voters went solidly for Ossoff: 71% compared to 14% for Handel. After that, no candidate was able to gain double digits in the 18-34 age group.

Older voters, 65+, showed only a slight preference for Ossoff at 29% compared to Handel's 24%.

With the push for turnout, all camps are pushing early voting. When asked if they're already voted, 52% of Ossoff supporters said they already voted, compared with 15% for Handel and 14% for Gray.

Independents went 40% for Ossoff, 14% for Handel, 11% for Gray, and 7% for Moody.

POLL METHOD:

11Alive commissioned the scientific poll with SurveyUSA. 900 registered voters were interviewed between 3/27/17 and 4/2/17. The poll was conducted 100% by telephone (68% landline, 32% cell phone).

Does he really?

He wants to be loved, but he also wants to destroy any who betrayed him. He sees Democrats as the enemy because they didn't vote for him but he also wants desperately for everyone to love him at the same time.

Crocodile

The Republican aversion to UHC/Single-Payer is an aberration among right-leaning parties around the world. As long a non-whites wouldn't get any benefits the alt-right are done for government programs.

Does he really?

Fair enough. Let me rephrase: The things he claimed he wanted to do during the campaign that aren't cancer to decent people are things Republicans in Congress don't want to do and he needs Republicans in Congress to keep playing ball for him so he and/or his cronies don't get dragged away in cuffs.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Suikoguy

It's like i've been telling you guys. Racists don't hate government welfare programs, they hate means tested programs because they wrongly suspect that's how minorities are stealing from white people. Most don't really have a problem with minorities getting something they know they will get an equal amount of.

If that's true, than Basic Income is not doomed by default.

The alt-right is held together by being anti-egalitarian and being illiberal. Although, that doesn't mean that they won't take issues that benefit themselves that might be liberal.

I won't be surprised if they are fine with things like being pro-net neutrality, pro government spending, anti-war, for a single payer system, and having a relaxed stance on drugs. I guess they would be similar to "brogressives", basically liberal in everything else or many things, but are skeptical or opposed to feminism and minority rights.

The thing is the alt-right as no real influence on greater part of the GOP, so their ideas will never come to pass. Unless they get rid of those men in power, but the alt-right have shown no real movement of trying to depose them unlike liberals, left-wing populist, and progressives are tying to the Democrats.

jtb

Banned
This fucking white house.

from Haberman:

.@RogerJStoneJr tells Alex Jones that Kushner is pushing anti-Bannon stories with MSNBC

That's about what he was doing before right? Looks like I was wrong to think Handel was the probable GOP nominee though.

Pity that Ossoff won't win outright :/

Little higher. Also they're trying to model LVs for a special election, which is probably one of the hardest things you can do. Look at this:

With the push for turnout, all camps are pushing early voting. When asked if they're already voted, 52% of Ossoff supporters said they already voted, compared with 15% for Handel and 14% for Gray.

This doesn't say to me that 52% of Ossoff supporters have voted (they haven't), but that they were willing to tell a pollster that they have and signal their dedicated intention to vote. You don't see that for Handel or Gray.

I think there's a decent shot he clears 50% on April 18th.

Pity that Ossoff won't win outright :/

Not saying it will happen but polling for things like Congressional run-offs has a much larger variance than a race for President or senate. There are way fewer voters so intensity is a much bigger deal. The GOP has a big built in advantage because their voters always turn out. So basically Ossoff could get anywhere from 50% to 35% and it wouldn't shock me.

DonShula

How'd this start? The lawsuit settlement?

Beyond that. Per Chris Hayes last night, (edit) NYT started cold calling women they used to see on Fox News but don't anymore, and they found one who went on the record. Then the whole thing flared up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom