• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to take into account the political leanings of the districts. These arent statewide races. For example, that Iowa Special election was for the Senate seat that represents Davenport, the 2nd most liberal city in the state after Iowa City.
The Virginia districts were both GOP-leaning though.

If this is happening across the board then that's good news, even if it means most districts won't change hands. But think of something like GA-6, which would not have been on any list of 30 districts that would have needed to swing Democratic in 2016 to give us the House.

Clinton *only* losing Texas by 8 let Democrats sweep every office in Travis County, for example. Always room for downballot gains even if we don't take the big prize.

A war on the Korean Peninsula, on top of what's going on in the Levant and North Africa would probably equate to the worst humanitarian crisis the world has ever seen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hopefully this is all bluster and a ham-fisted negotiating method with China. Now, if Trump doesn't get to walk away claiming he got China to take some action on North Korea, I'd be worried sooner rather than later.

kirblar

The Virginia districts were both GOP-leaning though.

If this is happening across the board then that's good news, even if invariably it means most districts won't change hands.
The important thing is that if you get the % increase high enough across the board, it decimates gerrymandered districts, which are low-margin by design.

The important thing is that if you get the % increase high enough across the board, it decimates gerrymandered districts, which are low-margin by design.
Yeah, all their R+5 districts suddenly aren't safe with a D+10 electorate.

Related, Kansas' 4th early voting numbers:

Democrats: 4253 — 43.47% (-1.57%)
Republicans: 4407 — 45.04%
Unaffiliated: 1124 — 11.49%

2016:
Democrats: 65,127 — 23.25% (-29.05%)
Republicans: 146,485 — 52.30%
Unaffiliated: 68,486 — 24.45%

2016 Race:
Republican Mike Pompeo Incumbent 166,998 — 60.7%
Democratic Daniel Giroux 81,495 — 29.6%
Independent Miranda Allen 19,021 — 6.9%
Libertarian Gordon Bakken 7,737 — 2.8%

Will we win? Probably not! Would this bode well if it held in 2018 universally? Hell yeah!

Yeah, all their R+5 districts suddenly aren't safe with a D+10 electorate.

Related, Kansas' 4th early voting numbers:

Democrats: 4253 — 43.47% (-1.57%)
Republicans: 4407 — 45.04%
Unaffiliated: 1124 — 11.49%

2016:
Democrats: 65,127 — 23.25% (-29.05%)
Republicans: 146,485 — 52.30%
Unaffiliated: 68,486 — 24.45%

2016 Race:
Republican Mike Pompeo Incumbent 166,998 — 60.7%
Democratic Daniel Giroux 81,495 — 29.6%
Independent Miranda Allen 19,021 — 6.9%
Libertarian Gordon Bakken 7,737 — 2.8%

Will we win? Probably not! Would this bode well if it held in 2018 universally? Hell yeah!
numbers would've been much better if we'd run Kander 43 imo

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The three defense officials told BuzzFeed News they believe Assad may have launched Tuesday’s attack to test the president, particularly after members of his administration had indicated Assad could stay in power. Most notably, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Thursday that: "I think the status and the longer-term status of President Assad will be decided by the Syrian people."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nancyyouss...-about-face-on?utm_term=.siBYLVBYo#.ee5dXkPdY

Lovely

it's on.

@ForecasterEnten
The GA-06 trend line for the primary: Total Dem vs. Total GOP percentage of vote. Dead even right now...

C8sIl3QV0AAUuii.jpg

daedalius

The three defense officials told BuzzFeed News they believe Assad may have launched Tuesday’s attack to test the president, particularly after members of his administration had indicated Assad could stay in power. Most notably, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Thursday that: "I think the status and the longer-term status of President Assad will be decided by the Syrian people."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nancyyouss...-about-face-on?utm_term=.siBYLVBYo#.ee5dXkPdY

Lovely

We're fucked

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Lovely

No duh he was testing Trump. Assad figures he can get away with anything now. Good job Trump. Good job Rust Belt whites suffering from economic​ anxiety.

Teggy

Ignoring that many people voted for trump because they were sure he wouldn't get involved in any overseas conflicts.

pigeon

Banned
2004 is the only time in the past thirty years a Republican won the popular vote

no incumbent wartime president has ever lost reelection

Yeah, but in general we have faith that are presidents are sober, dedicated individuals who would not make the decision to go to war lightly. When we lose that faith presidents start tanking really fast.

I don't think Trump gets that benefit of the doubt.

No person without government or military experience has ever won the presidency

Yeah, but in general we have faith that are presidents are sober, dedicated individuals who would not make the decision to go to war lightly. When we lose that faith presidents start tanking really fast.

I don't think Trump gets that benefit of the doubt.
oh I'm not saying Trump invading Iran is a good idea or anything

just explaining where the idea comes from

did you forget 1988 or was that on Earth 2.
if we wait a year and a half my statement will become true without any extra elections shhhh

jtb

Banned
Desert Storm didn't get Bush re-elected. Rally around the flag definitely exists, but starting wars is really playing with fire

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, sure. I mean I think there are people in PoliGAF who have said they're worried Trump starts a war to get approval. But yeah, I think it wouldn't work.

I don't think it would work either, but I wouldn't put it past him to try if his numbers slip enough.

Nobody in this country cares enough about North Korea for a war with them to ever be popular.

But Trump doesn't know that. He likely believes they're the single biggest threat to this country, and because he believes so, it must mean 99% of the country also believes so, even if 99% of the country couldn't even point to North Korea on a map, let alone explain why they think NK is dangerous to a country that is like a million times bigger and half a planet away.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Desert Storm didn't get Bush re-elected. Rally around the flag definitely exists, but starting wars is really playing with fire
Not that I think the country wants a war right now and wouldn't backfire on Trump's re-election chances, but I'd note that the Gulf War was basically over some 20 months before Bush's loss to Clinton. I don't think the "don't change horses in midstream" factor was in effect at all.

jtb

Banned
Not that I think the country wants a war right now and wouldn't backfire on Trump's re-election chances, but I'd note that the Gulf War was basically over some 20 months before Bush's loss to Clinton. I don't think the "don't change horses in midstream" factor was in effect at all.

True. Bush's mistake was getting out so damn quick. Should've milked those 90% approvals for all he could.

W learned from the best.

sazzy

I wonder if Russia is pulling the strings behind the scenes in escalating the Syria and North Korea situation simultaneously as something the US has to respond to.

Betting time: which country will the US go to war with first? Syria or NK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom