• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has spent zero effort trying to sell any military action to the American public. He underestimates the effort needed with that. W spent over a year pitching the Iraq war for christ sake. Now Trump is loosely hyping two interventions on extremely short notice? Good luck with that. Especially North Korea.

And watch, we'll probably get target data from the Russians in an act of "cooperation" and they'll send coordinates of US-backed rebels by "mistake."

Russia must be very confused.

nintchdbpict000294508590.jpg

Diablos

Scorpio is wayyyy more powerful than I anticipated and Mitch just nuked SCOTUS filibuster. Bad day for us Sony fanboys and Democrats. 😕

Mirand

Welp, March was the month of domestic legislative incompetence for Trump. Looks like he saved the serious international fiascoes/wars for April.

Scorpio is wayyyy more powerful than I anticipated and Mitch just nuked SCOTUS filibuster. Bad day for us Sony fanboys and Democrats. ��

Most Sony fanboys seem too busy playing games in recent months.

Also, this is a shaky day for bicameral process, not just for democrats.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My takeaway is that Trump favors a new faction every 3-6 months and will continue to do so, nullifying his ability to push any sort of agenda or message consistently.

The chaos, it seems, often includes others, but is a result of a single, inept man.
Oh for sure. I was more observing the "globalist" slur being used for the man with the obvious Jewish surname being labeled as a "populist insult" rather than a racist one.

Why? They won't. It's gone now and it's not coming back.

Wait why? That would only hurt Democrats.

Because I don't want the Senate to become like the House the way things are now everything is by party lines. I'd rather some both parties work together than excluding the other. But that of course only works if there aren't so many extremes, and way more moderates. So I guess I should have said, reinstate it if there are saner people in office. Which probably won't happen any time soon.

Because I don't want the Senate to become like the House the way things are now everything is by party lines. I'd rather some both parties work together than excluding the other. But that of course only works if there aren't so many extremes, and way more moderates. So I guess I should have said, reinstate it if there are saner people in office. Which probably won't happen any time soon.
This is our government now. Compromise and bipartanship is dead and isn't coming back any time soon

Maxim726X

Democrats won't (and shouldn't) reinstate the filibuster.

"Now that we're in power again, let's make it harder to get anything done."

Which is precisely what every party in power will say for the rest of time.

I guess at the very least if a party does win outright, they can actually pass their agenda. Of course, if it's a shit agenda that you don't agree with it's not exactly a positive thing. Hence the point of the filibuster.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My wonder is, if in the future rather than cloture battles you need a senate majority to even get a fucking hearing for your nominee.

teiresias

Which is precisely what every party in power will say for the rest of time.

I guess at the very least if a party does win outright, they can actually pass their agenda. Of course, if it's a shit agenda that you don't agree with it's not exactly a positive thing. Hence the point of the filibuster.

This is only for SCOTUS nominees, not legislation.

My wonder is, if in the future rather than cloture battles you need a senate majority to even get a fucking hearing for your nominee.
Yes.

Our government system is broken, and will continue to be. I think "no justices unless you also hold the senate" is just how it's going to work from now on.

Our government wasn't set up for a large block of the legislation to be completely insane and self destructive.

teiresias

I mean, what's to stop them?

Regardless of the politics behind the entire thing, Gorsuch isn't really an unqualified nominee in the traditional sense, but even McConnell wants to have cover for some of the BS Ryan and the House are bound to throw his way even if only to be able to blame Democrats for its failure.

jtb

Banned
What's the Democratic argument for keeping the legislative filibuster? Which unpopular bills did the Dem house jam through in 2009?

I get why McConnell doesn't want to deal with the idiots in the GOP house caucus. But his whole schtick is obstructionism by any means necessary. The Dems have a positive, somewhat ideologically coherent policy platform.

Of course. That's the rule now.

You have to match the GOP tit-for-tat to deincentivize "bad" behavior.

Maxim726X

Yes.

Our government system is broken, and will continue to be. I think "no justices unless you also hold the senate" is just how it's going to work from now on.

Our government wasn't set up for a large block of the legislation to be completely insane and self destructive.

I mean, Cruz and his fellow Rethugs vowed to fight against every Clinton nomination if she were president, so at this point it's clear they don't give a shit about what the government was set up to do.

kirblar

What's the Democratic argument for keeping the legislative filibuster? Which unpopular bills did the Dem house jam through in 2009?

I get why McConnell doesn't want to deal with the idiots in the GOP house caucus. But his whole schtick is obstructionism by any means necessary. The Dems have a positive, somewhat ideologically coherent policy platform.
There is none.

So let me get this straight.

Dems filibustered Gosurch, then the GOP nuked the filibuster, and now they're going to have another vote for Gosurch just like that to get him on?

jtb

Banned
There is none.

Also, the filibuster is an undemocratic vestige in an inherently undemocratic legislative body. It exists to slow the legislative process and, by design, favors the status quo (and, in term, conservativism).

It strikes me that, if the optimal response is tit-for-tat, Democrats might as well get something seriously useful out of it, like a public option or immigration reform.

Maxim726X

So let me get this straight.

Dems filibustered Gosurch, then the GOP nuked the filibuster, and now they're going to have another vote for Gosurch just like that to get him on?

Yes, where they only need a majority (51 votes) to confirm.

It basically means moving forward that if you're the president and you have a majority in the senate, you can put in whatever crazy-ass ideologues you want without any system in place to stop their confirmation.

Really not good overall, but this is where we're heading as a government. And you partially have right wing media to thank for this, since they've convinced most of the country that liberals hate America and freedom, and if you work with them you should be hung for treason.

Also, the filibuster is an undemocratic vestige in an inherently undemocratic legislative body. It exists to slow the legislative process and, by design, favors the status quo (and, in term, conservativism).

It strikes me that, if the optimal response is tit-for-tat, Democrats might as well get something seriously useful out of it, like a public option or immigration reform.

This is a fair argument, but of course the next logical question to ask is what exactly would the minority party even do without any institutional procedure to exert some modicum of power? Why even be there? Just stay home.

I would've hoped that if there were a President Clinton and we had 50-51 seats and couldn't get 60 for Garland that Schumer would've gone nuclear on SCOTUS nominees. So, I don't really have a lot of outrage for this besides the fact that Garland should've gotten a hearing and vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom