• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

giphy.gif
I don't want him to do it because fuck getting into a war with him at the helm. But I can't deny it would be extremely beneficial to kicking out Trump and the Republican majority in 2-4 years. No one has forgotten Iraq and Trump doesn't even have a the benefit of a good excuse like 9/11 or WMDs.

Blader

lol, Hatch is really slipping. Gave up the ghost in practically the same breath.

I don't really understand why McConnell is getting so many tactical genius plaudits for his handling of Garland/Gorsuch? He took a gamble and it paid off. If Hillary won and opted to rescind the Garland nomination for a firebrand left-wing justice, then we'd hear all about how McConnell just let a bipartisan consensus choice slip through his fingers for RBG 2.0.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It wasn't some great outrage when Democrats got rid of the filibuster for nominees other than Supreme Court and it's not some great outrage now that Republicans got rid of it for Supreme Court nominees.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/11/charts-explain-why-democrats-went-nuclear-filibuster

http://www.jamesjheaney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1467279_10153491101520291_1443680299_n.jpg

Take a look at how things were in 2010:

https://thinkprogress.org/gop-contr...ncreased-since-obama-took-office-d11b1b52f7a7

the majority of Obama's nominations were being blocked.

GOP just stole a supreme court seat for a generation.

Probably a slim chance, but if any of the soldiers there are looking to pick up a 7-figure investment property in Manhattan when they get back from active duty, Jared's the man to talk to.

In case you missed it, this picture is fun too. That's lil Jared with Donald's longtime bodyguard meeting with top Kurdish officials. Trump's bodyguard wore his finest Addidas jacket to mark the special occasion. Not pictured are the thought bubbles above the Kurdish leaders' heads saying stuff like, "They sent us a 36 year old real estate agent? Was the handbag designer too busy setting up her new office to swing by?"

C8lIz1kXcAAOvnk.jpg
Man that picture says everything.

Fuck Jared and fuck Trump. This is imperialist mindset where they think their white knight in shining armor can solve the issues pertaining to the deeply complicated fractures of Iraqi society. This is Sykes-Picot on drugs. Send someone who at least knows the area.

jtb

Banned
lol, Hatch is really slipping. Gave up the ghost in practically the same breath.

I don't really understand why McConnell is getting so many tactical genius plaudits for his handling of Garland/Gorsuch? He took a gamble and it paid off. If Hillary won and opted to rescind the Garland nomination for a firebrand left-wing justice, then we'd hear all about how McConnell just let a bipartisan consensus choice slip through his fingers for RBG 2.0.

But the Garland thing undoubtedly rallied conservatives around Trump's candidacy. McConnell didn't just make a gamble, he single-handedly unified the party for an election in the midst of a half-hostile takeover, half-internecine civil war.

Trump is not president if Scalia is still alive. Trump is not president if Garland is confirmed.

I guess I'm on the "brilliantly cynical tactical ploy" side of the fence. McConnell knows the base, he knows the media and he knows the electorate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Republicans rejected Trump's cuts to the NIH. Wise move.

Gee I wonder if the Russians will help us do this for oh say a lifting of sanctions?
Russians have spent huge amount of money and time securing Syria for Assad. If it weren't for them, Assad would have been worm food by now. This is setting up a conflict with Russia. Syria is Russia's trade partner and they have oil deals too.

Russians have spent huge amount of money and time securing Syria for Assad. If it weren't for them, Assad would have been worm food by now. This is setting up a conflict with Russia. Syria is Russia's trade partner and they have oil deals too.

So I mean Trump is just straight up betraying Putin? Pee tape incoming?

Surfinn

*Russia sends Trump a still frame from sex tape

Trump: "Syria is on their own."

I think Trump needs to run this by Daddy Putin first.

We are quickly approaching a situation where Trump is politically unable to help Putin, there is simply too much scrutiny on the matter now. Conversely Putin is less and less able (and probable amenable) to protect Trump.

Putin is going to become just another person that Trump used and dumped when convenient. Things are going to get weird.

Stealing the Supreme Court nominee is a separate issue though. The outrageous thing was denying Garland a hearing. Nuking the filibuster was inevitable whenever a Supreme Court nominee was filibustered, regardless of party.

If the filibuster were truly a sacred check and balance, then nuking it in the face of GOP obstruction of Obama's nominations would be an overreaction. It isn't and it wasn't. People are focusing on the wrong thing here, IMO.

studyguy

I can't...
There's like 5 or 6 comments already is he doing a press gaggle or some impromptu meeting? All his comments so far are dumb as rocks.

.@ckubeNBC
Pres. Trump says he has not spoken with Pres. Putin about the chemical attack in Syria, "but at some point I may.”

@TheStalwart
Trump foresees a possibility of 4 or more SCOTUS nominees while he's president.

@PeterAlexander
BREAKING: Pres Trump on AF1: "I think we’ve had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency."

@ddale8
Trump just now on whether Assad should leave power: "He's there, and I guess he's running things, so I guess something should happen."

@MajorCBS
On AF1 @POTUS "I don’t want to mention that, but the answer is no I haven’t.” When asked if he told lawmakers contemplating military strike

@JenniferJJacobs
Q: What do you want the Chinese to do on North Korea? Trump brings up trade. "They really do mix. We’re going to be talking about both."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eli Stokols
Eli Stokols‏ @EliStokols

TRUMP comments on ASSAD aboard AF1: "He’s there, and I guess he’s running things, so I guess something should happen.” Via pooler

OK.

Vixdean

Ummm, regime change in Syria has been the official US policy since 2011 at least. The only difference here is the Trump administration acknowledging it. They still have to face the same problem Obama did: how to do it without US boots on the ground?

DonShula

I can't...
There's like 5 or 6 comments already is he doing a press gaggle or some impromptu meeting? All his comments so far are dumb as rocks.

.@ckubeNBC
Pres. Trump says he has not spoken with Pres. Putin about the chemical attack in Syria, "but at some point I may.”

@TheStalwart
Trump foresees a possibility of 4 or more SCOTUS nominees while he's president.

@PeterAlexander
BREAKING: Pres Trump on AF1: "I think we’ve had one of the most successful 13 weeks in the history of the presidency."

@ddale8
Trump just now on whether Assad should leave power: "He's there, and I guess he's running things, so I guess something should happen."

@MajorCBS
On AF1 @POTUS "I don’t want to mention that, but the answer is no I haven’t.” When asked if he told lawmakers contemplating military strike

@JenniferJJacobs
Q: What do you want the Chinese to do on North Korea? Trump brings up trade. "They really do mix. We’re going to be talking about both."

I wonder how many conservatives read this stuff and think "this guy is weak." He speaks as if he's afraid to make a decision. He's in way over his head.

jtb

Banned
I wonder how many conservatives read this stuff and think "this guy is weak." He speaks as if he's afraid to make a decision. He's in way over his head.

I think that's what most conservatives are betting on, tbh. He's weak and easily manipulated into passing horrible legislation and getting into horrible wars.

I find it interesting r/the_donald doesn't really want a war at all. Quite a lot think it will tank his presidency and a few of them said they voted for him because Hillary would get into wars.

Maybe the shine is coming off the penny.

I actually went to see what they thought of Nunes leaving the investigation, but there wasn't anything there on that.

Trump believes he's going to get 5 appointees in 8 years? Let alone probably 4 years? Uhh... okay. Is he planning on gassing the Supreme Court building or something?

If he gets 8 years he will almost certainly get Gorsuch, Thomas's replacement, Kennedy's replacement, RBG's replacement. You just have to pray they don't start banning the minimum wage again at that point!

pigeon

Banned
This is one of those situations where even though I really wasn't convinced, and am still not convinced, that inaction in Syria was the right policy, I am confident that any aggressive action managed by Donald Trump is a terrible idea because he's too incompetent to carry out even a justifiable military action.

So this is gonna go badly.

Holmes

Republicans are spending money on ads in the final week of the KS-04 special election and expect a close(r) race (than expected).

Chumley

Banned
Those videos of children dying via sarin gas is one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen, and if Assad is responsible he needs to die immediately. I just wish we didn't have to go to war to make it happen. Regarding comparisons to Saddam, isn't this guy basically a hundred times worse? Did Saddam ever kill kids?

Also, why does Putin want to protect Assad? Forgive my ignorance.

Vixdean

I'll never understand why killing tens of civilians with gas is somehow worse than killing thousands with conventional bombs. Yeah, if you're trying to avoid collateral damage, it's obviously harder with gas, but Assad's been targeting civilians with regular bombs for years.

samn

Those videos of children dying via sarin gas is one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen, and if Assad is responsible he needs to die immediately. I just wish we didn't have to go to war to make it happen. Regarding comparisons to Saddam, isn't this guy basically a hundred times worse? Did Saddam ever kill kids?

Also, why does Putin want to protect Assad? Forgive my ignorance.

Saddam Hussein killed hundreds of thousands. Yes many of them were children.

DonShula

I'll never understand why killing tens of civilians with gas is somehow worse than killing thousands with conventional bombs. Yeah, if you're trying to avoid collateral damage, it's obviously harder with gas, but Assad's been dropping regular bombs on civilians for years.

Sadly, people can't relate to war until they see children dying with their own eyes. Then all of a sudden it's a big deal.

Plus you've got the suffering factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom