• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump really could get 4 SCOTUS justices

Absolutely terrifying

If that happens even if Dems win in another big wave election they're going to be handicapped right out of the gate with a SCOTUS built in the GOP's image for another generation

At that point you expand the court.

Or you simply threaten to do so and the court falls in line, as they did when FDR tried to pack the court.

Diablos

I think he really does get 3 justices at least

At that point you simply expand the court.

Or you simply threaten to do so and the court falls in line, as they did when FDR tried to pack the court.
I think they'd have to do it really fast

Plus couldn't an ultra conservative SCOTUS overturn a court packing law if they deemed it unconstitutional

Plus couldn't an ultra conservative SCOTUS overturn a court packing law if they deemed it unconstitutional

The Supreme Court started with only 6 justices.

Hard to see how they would deem expanding it unconstitutional without then forcing 3 justices off the bench.

Does the constitution set a number? IIRC Meta argued there wasn't when he argued that the republicans had no constitutional duty to confirm #9. Jus that it's the senates duty to confirm if a confirmation happens

Does the constitution set a number? IIRC Meta argued there wasn't when he argued that the republicans had no constitutional duty to confirm #9. Jus that it's the senates duty to confirm if a confirmation happens

It doesn't. His argument is that they would simply make something up out of sheer partisanship.

studyguy

So this isn't terrifying at all.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/850094186321895424

C8wkJeaXcAA2oKG.jpg:large

Quick question: How many tomahawks can you throw till you're no longer allowed to call yourself non-interventionist?

Anyway, as I mentioned this morning, I could easily see Trump's approval ratings go up by 15 - 20 points after the initial airstrkes.

After that, it'll largely depend on the Syrian, Iranian and Russian response.

Joeytj

Banned
So this isn't terrifying at all.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/850094186321895424

Quick question: How many tomahawks can you throw till you're no longer allowed to call yourself non-interventionist?

Wow, Trump must be deciding between putting an end to Assad or his reputation...

You all know which is going to win in the end.

Trump can't have much of a "victory" or "win" here. Either he intervenes, going against his campaign promises, possibly making the Syrian conflict worse and even strengthening ISIS, or he further cements his image as a Putin stooge.

I'm not saying intervening is the right call here, but Trump will suffer either way, mostly because of the stupid shit he has said in the past about Syria.

Obama got a break from the public about floundering in Syria because he was straightforward about the mess and how tough the conflict is.

Trump's Tweets and past comments are coming home to roost (if that makes sense).

Chumley

Banned
Trump really could get 4 SCOTUS justices

Absolutely terrifying

If that happens even if Dems win in another big wave election they're going to be handicapped right out of the gate with a SCOTUS built in the GOP's image for another generation

He's getting 3 probably. And even if he's impeached, Pence gets to pick, and he might pick even worse ones.

This country is fucked even if Dems win in 2018 and 2020.

Diablos

Anyway, as I mentioned this morning, I could easily see Trump's approval ratings go up by 15 - 20 points after the initial airstrkes.

After that, it'll largely depend on the Syrian, Iranian and Russian response.
I think there are plenty of Americans who will just be thrilled that Trump is bombing people and won't care how other nations respond

Joeytj

Banned
I think there are plenty of Americans who will just be thrilled that Trump is bombing people and won't care how other nations respond

I don't see Trump gaining anything from this at all, actually. He might move his approvals back to 40+, but nothing beyond 48 or 50%.

No matter how horrid the scenes from Assad's chemical attack are, the world and Americans still doesn't believe bombing Syria and starting a proxy-war with Russia is a good idea.

Putin will straight up start dumping all the Trump info if this shit happens.

I fully expect this to happen, and in a way which will make things even less stable.

I imagine the Glen Greenwald folks are going to get fed a lot of Russian troll stuff and the fake news will start being anti-Trump, but still with an aim of disrupting the running of the country.

Nelo Ice

Banned
He's getting 3 probably. And even if he's impeached, Pence gets to pick, and he might pick even worse ones.

This country is fucked even if Dems win in 2018 and 2020.

O god I'll be absolutely gutted if the GOP gets more than 1 SCOTUS justice after stealing a seat from us.

...Should we be concerned that detailed language from a secret military plan to attack Syria is out in the press? Before it was even shown to the President, at that! ...Probably? On the bright side, there are still people at high enough ranks that don't want to start another world war and leak this stuff.

This is one of those situations where even though I really wasn't convinced, and am still not convinced, that inaction in Syria was the right policy, I am confident that any aggressive action managed by Donald Trump is a terrible idea because he's too incompetent to carry out even a justifiable military action.

So this is gonna go badly.

Me to a T. I've always said inaction is immoral, but without a competent CiC, this is like a baby driving an ambulance to a plane crash; the vehicle won't get there, it'll kill a lot of people (including the baby driving it), and even if it did get there, the baby doesn't know what to do on site.

Regime change with a wonk wouldn't scare me, but this would be idiotic.

So....

I put together a list of mostly local businesses in my town who are quite frankly very progressive. They'd all pretty much put up "You are safe here!" signs like they do in Seattle (working on that).

But I put this list together to shop it around to people. It's a pdf flyer that actually lists all of the businesses, including a few very good corporations. What's a good header (and subheader)? I'm not that creative but I have so far:

- Put your money where your HEART is!
- Grow Progress with Your Wallet
- Support progressive businesses in the Triad
- Safe Space Alert!

Help me out?

Yeah but it had those highly educated Kansas Citians to flip to her.
Well hopefully some educated Witchitans can also flip here. They did elect a black Democratic mayor.

Or maybe just the kids of Kansas are all going to come out as hard left-wingers because Brownback fucked them over, since it mentioned the age gap. That'd be cool.

I'm already going to be heartbroken when Quist loses by 10 points so I should probably stop getting excited here.

So....

I put together a list of mostly local businesses in my town who are quite frankly very progressive. They'd all pretty much put up "You are safe here!" signs like they do in Seattle (working on that).

But I put this list together to shop it around to people. It's a pdf flyer that actually lists all of the businesses, including a few very good corporations. What's a good header (and subheader)? I'm not that creative but I have so far:

- Put your money where your HEART is!
- Grow Progress with Your Wallet
- Support progressive businesses in the Triad
- Safe Space Alert!

Help me out?

In Mississippi, we're a bit folksy with these:
We-Dont-Discriminate-sticker_rgb.jpg

Chumley

Banned
/pol/ is absolutely freaking out about syria right now. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so frightening.

They're trying to brand it a hoax and are directly disagreeing with Trump.

I don't understand why Syria is more valuable to Russia than a relationship with Trump. I don't get it at all. Putin and his trolls will apparently go to any lengths necessary to prop Assad up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom