• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

The president of Turkmenistan has not one, not two, but three laptops. Take that, America.

C80AoA2XYAAeA2Z.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-cross-country-tour/?utm_term=.3b43bb33a6b4

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will rally in at least five states later this month, just weeks after Perez defeated Sanders's preferred candidate to run the DNC.

”We'll be traveling — and Tom will be traveling with me — to traditionally conservative states," Sanders said. ”It's absolutely absurd that the Democratic Party has turned its back on working people in literally half the country."

”We've talked a lot about the need to compete everywhere, and when we talked about a 57-state-and-territory strategy, we meant it," Perez said.

The duo will rally in Maine on April 17 and wind through the South and Southwest until April 22, hitting Kentucky, Florida, Arizona and Nevada. More stops, and more DNC investments, are possible in Nebraska — where Democrats hope to win back the mayoralty of Omaha — and in Montana, where a Sanders-backed House candidate has begun to attract attention ahead of a special election.

might do some good.

@PoliticsWolf
Ferguson, MO's white GOP mayor won re-election on Tuesday despite the city being 2/3 black & heavily Clinton in 2016

Democrats really need more active black community outreach, recruitment, constant touchpoints.

This is unbelievable.

Wrt Syria, it would be kinda nice to have a clear goal. The measures that one would take towards ensuring civilian protection are kiiinda radically different from the measures one would take towards, yknow, removing assad/isis/whatever. So maybe start there.

No. The sanctions are in response to Russia's annexation of Crimea and its continued support of the war in eastern Ukraine.

If anything, the West needs to increase the cost on Russia for its support of Assad.

Trump apparently wasted about 80 million bucks worth of Tomahawk missiles to do nothing in particular except ratchet up tensions in Syria.

No. Maybe if we imposed new, Syria specific sanctions, and made Russian withdrawal from Syria a condition of them being raised that'd do something. We can't let Putin get anything out of this mess or he'll keep on doing it.

I, too, believe in doubling down on an action that has consistently failed to produce tangible, workable results (unless the result you wanted was "make life a bit more shit for the average russian person"). Sanctions, ho!

The truth about Syria situation is, there is no proper solution apart from going on the ground and engaging in a war with three different fronts, installing a new regime/government and then HOPING it stays.

And that needs buy in from the Arab nations.

Maxim726X

The truth about Syria situation is, there is no proper solution apart from going on the ground and engaging in a war with three different fronts, installing a new regime/government and then HOPING it stays.

It's just a shit situation all around, and it's not as if the US can just send in troops to rout Assad without political blowback.

And perhaps Trump needs to look back to recent history, because the US seems to suck at this whole nation building thing.

Pixieking

Banned

*nods* Syria is the best example we could ask for of a country needing a combined military and diplomatic multi-purpose mission, involving regime-change and a unified front of Middle-Eastern countries.

It makes me sad thinking what Hillary could be doing as POTUS - certainly she'd push for military engagement far beyond what Trump has done, but she would also be involving Turkey, Jordan and even Iran in helping combat the crisis through peace-talks or regional intervention and push-back against Russia.

Back in the real-world, this heavily reminds me of the Baltic civil war of the 90s. In that, Bill Clinton made a big leap (ironically, with Hillary pressuring him, I believe) to go all-in to try and stop the ethnic cleansing. Trump doesn't give a shit, though, so I don't know how this could go as well as that did.

chadskin

I, too, believe in doubling down on an action that has consistently failed to produce tangible, workable results (unless the result you wanted was "make life a bit more shit for the average russian person"). Sanctions, ho!

The US's response to Russia's invasion of Georgia and effective annexation of territory in 2008 was a big, beautiful, red reset button. How did that work out?

Not sanctioning behavior in gross violation of all international law is condoning it. It may not always produce immediate results but it's absolutely necessary if the West wants to maintain any shred of credibility in its rules-based international order.

If Putin cares about the quality of life of average Russian citizens, perhaps he should not annex parts of other countries' territory or continue to wage war against his neighbors.

Targeted sanctions on people and businesses are largely symbolic and are never effective. I think we need broad sanctions on Russia itself.

You're both over simplifying this. There's plenty of sanctions we can levy that the average Russian won't even notice (freezing Putin's cronies overseas accounts, that sort of thing) and the reset button worked fine until Putin seized power again.

You're both over simplifying this. There's plenty of sanctions we can levy that the average Russian won't even notice (freezing Putin's cronies overseas accounts, that sort of thing) and the reset button worked fine until Putin seized power again.

Putin controls industry as much as the government. Don't think there is much left that Putin doesn't have hands in via banks or oligarchs.

Plumbob

We'd have to commit to war, reconstruction, and sacrifice, which the international community has demonstrated pretty conclusively that it doesn't care to do. Instead we offer more dead children upon the altar of realpolitik.

I'm not convinced that war is much better for children, but hey, the devil's in the details.

Kusagari

Looking at that Cook PVI, I'm going to be beyond pissed if the Dems don't get a serious challenger for Ros-Lehtinen in 2018.

Ridiculous at the flaccid attempts to take the seat over the years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Democrats really need more active black community outreach, recruitment, constant touchpoints.

This is unbelievable.

The previous DNC was completely incompetent, and new leaders were only recently installed. They need to fix this ASAP.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm not convinced that war is much better for children, but hey, the devil's in the details.

The IC would have to go out of their way to prosecute a war as brutally and as unconcerned for cost to human life as Assad/ISIS/Russia/Trump do. Even so, I don't hold any notions about there being just wars.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The Senate is voting on Neil Gorsuch's #SCOTUS nomination.

He will get confirmed today. Trump will finally have a good friday.

pigeon

Banned
Imagine that you were a reality television producer trying to run the United States of America and wanted to make the president look tough and caring in response to a chemical weapon attack. What would you do?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That's the room they tend to watch things unfold.
It's not the same room (see doors on left hand wall). Probably mar a lago since trump is present AND they have tacky gold faux bamboo chairs.

They are all watching with baited breath to make sure Russia and Syria got everything out in time before their paper tigers missles landed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom