• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumbob

This is a fucking terrible take.

Obama was already elected and given the power to fill SCOTUS seats.

It's also totally legal to just appoint a hundred justices to the Supreme Court, since it has no limit on justices. The constraint of norms is meaningful and important, and lots of things you probably think are ironclad rest only on norms, so people need to take it seriously when those norms are violated. The country runs on them.

Haha if you want to break institutions court packing is definitely the way to go.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I work with a Republican and he was celebrating that they went nuclear to get Gorsuch. I pointed out it was a stolen seat and he laughed at the thought. He thought Garland was too liberal. This guy brought up gun rights, abortion, and citizens united were the main issues the GOP fights for and was ecstatic over it.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is a fucking terrible take.

Obama was already elected and given the power to fill SCOTUS seats.

It's also totally legal to just appoint a hundred justices to the Supreme Court, since it has no limit on justices. The constraint of norms is meaningful and important, and lots of things you probably think are ironclad rest only on norms, so people need to take it seriously when those norms are violated. The country runs on them.

You think it would have been better if Obama pushed RBG to retire during his term?

JDB

Banned
It's crazy to me that in a country like the USA where the result of elections means that either of two very different parties wins people still don't go out to vote at least once every four years. For the amount of 'us vs them' you see in both parties people really don't seem to give a shit about voting. Vote suppression is part of the issue, but looking from the outside in (Dutch) is still boggles my mind people don't bother voting when it's one of countries where the outcome can change things more drastically than in most other democratic countries.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's unconscionable how McConnell basically manipulated the election to be an election of a supreme court justice as well as a president. Voting for Trump was okay because you "disagree with abortion" or "want to protect our 2nd amendment". Trump was right: the election was rigged.

I mean, this is pretty much how the GOP runs every election. I guess I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Honestly, I almost wonder if the Dems would have been better served holding the Republicans to the flames with Gorsuch. Given Trump's Circumstances, they could have gone "We'll vote to appoint Gorsuch once the President is no longer underneath FBI Investigation". Force McConnell to bluster ahead and put on a SCOTUS Nominee of a potential traitor vs letting it stay vacant until the investigation proves his innocence. I mean, it's only fair to wait until we can prove the President isn't a Stooge of Russia.

How would the bombings publicly effect the Russian collusion story?

Well, that depends on whether or not this ends up being true:

9uZ0Gtt.png

https://twitter.com/AP/status/850385466570534913

This put's Trump's quick response in a different light. If you wanted to bury Russian involvement, you would want to quickly and loudly move against Assad. Then you would back off and get things back to the status quo once things calmed down.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DEMS: Haha, let's make Genghis Khan have to apologize to that Chinese warlord! He'll look weak and we shall have the moral victory.

GENGHIS KHAN: Behead everyone from here to eastern China and fill my swimming pool with blood.

DEMS: He didn't fall for it this time, but next time we'll make him look REALLY silly!

It's crazy to me that in a country like the USA where the result of elections means that either of two very different parties wins people still don't go out to vote at least once every four years. For the amount of 'us vs them' you see in both parties people really don't seem to give a shit about voting. Vote suppression is part of the issue, but looking from the outside in (Dutch) is still boggles my mind people don't bother voting when it's one of countries where the outcome can change things more drastically than in most other democratic countries.

It seems like the 18 to around the mid-high 30s demographic are not really motivated to vote or don't understand the importance.

It is quite often you see people who don't like how things work, but never vote besides complaining . If they do , it is mostly for the president and that's it. Many people have a really, really poor understanding of politics and how government works on the basic level.

pigeon

Banned
Haha if you want to break institutions court packing is definitely the way to go.

I don't want to break them, I'm just observing that they're already broken.

You think it would have been better if Obama pushed RBG to retire during his term?

I mean, probably not since the Senate would just have held two seats open then.

The West Wing does not offer solutions to this problem. The real solution is that SCOTUS seats should just not be lifetime appointments.

I don't want to break them, I'm just observing that they're already broken.

I mean, probably not since the Senate would just have held two seats open then.

The West Wing does not offer solutions to this problem. The real solution is that SCOTUS seats should just not be lifetime appointments.
I think he means from 2013-2014 when they still held the Senate.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It seems like the 18 to around the mid-high 30s demographic are not really motivated to vote or don't understand the importance.

It is quite often you see people who don't like how things work, but never vote besides complain . If they do they, it is mostly for the president and that's it. Many people have a really, really poor understanding of politics and how government works on the basic level.
Yep hell I think most of my network doesn't even know what SCOTUS is. I remember one friend had no idea what SCOTUS even stood for. And it is absurd how hard it is to get people in that age group to vote. I regret not registering to vote until 2 years ago when I was eligible since 08. I've been trying to make up for it ever since.

At least last year most people I knew voted and in some cases they all voted on the same lines I did. Of course this was after I canvassed myself and nagged to make sure they voted lol.

Otherwise I found it impossible to convince both sides people. There was nothing I could say that would have convinced 3rd party voters or non voters since people have just doubled down since the election. My favorite is a Gary Johnson voter that claims to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative yet goes silent on most major issues. When Milos was denied an opportunity to speak at Berkeley he went to defend his right to speak immediately. Well that and he still believes Republicans will do good and this guy believes and defends science. It still boggles my mind that he's still a low key Republican.

Dierce

I'm pretty sure that Russia is involved somehow when it comes to the recent use of chemical weapons by Syria. We might like to think of Putin as some mastermind dictator but he is no different that orange turd when it comes to long term strategy.

I believe Russia pushed the Syrian government to use the chemical weapons in order to have orange turd order an attack on an airfield that had been warned of an impending attack. Thus changing the media narrative from orange turd's corrupt associations with Putin's government to the US relationship with Russia being at risk.

Orange turd still is and forever will be a puppet of Russia and his master Putin.

Well, that depends on whether or not this ends up being true:

This put's Trump's quick response in a different light. If you wanted to bury Russian involvement, you would want to quickly and loudly move against Assad. Then you would back off and get things back to the status quo once things calmed down.
Ok after thinking aboout this for a while, I think that our generals are taking Trump for a ride. They want to go on a warpath with Russia (their wet dream since Soviet scare), and they have successfully made our dolt of a President follow. This is Cuban Missile Crisis but with JFK okaying strike in the Cuban base.

Yep hell I think most of my network doesn't even know what SCOTUS is. I remember one friend had no idea what SCOTUS even stood for. And it is absurd how hard it is to get people in that age group to vote. I regret not registering to vote until 2 years ago when I was eligible since 08. I've been trying to make up for it ever since.

At least last year most people I knew voted and in some cases they all voted on the same lines I did. Of course this was after I canvassed myself and nagged to make sure they voted lol.

Otherwise I found it impossible to convince both sides people. There was nothing I could say that would have convinced 3rd party voters or non voters since people have just doubled down since the election. My favorite is a Gary Johnson voter that claims to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative yet goes silent on most major issues. When Milos was denied an opportunity to speak at Berkeley he went to defend his right to speak immediately. Well that and he still believes Republicans will do good and this guy believes and defends science. It still boggles my mind that he's still a low key Republican.

I think people just do not understand the importance of voting, and to be frank not a lot of people really can explain it since it can be complicated. Bernie Sanders and Trump's win will hopefully get more people to understand the need to vote.

About the Gary Johnson voter it could be possible that the voter really hasn't settled on their beliefs yet. People say they are social liberal when in reality they only care about a very few social liberal policies.

Maybe ending net neutrality will get people to understand the implications of voting for certain candidates or not voting, because it will affect the age demographic that I mentioned by harming their pockets( that age demographic lacks decent paying jobs or they are unemployed) and drastically affect the content providers that they consume.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I think people just do not understand the importance of voting, and to be frank not a lot of people really can explain it since it can be complicated. Bernie Sanders and Trump's win will hopefully get more people to understand the need to vote.

About the Gary Johnson voter it could be possible that the voter really hasn't settled on their beliefs yet. People say they are social liberal when in reality they only care about a very few social liberal policies.

I know someone who refused to vote because he believed his vote didn't matter because of the electoral college. He cited Bush and Gore. But guess who posted a shock and utter fear after election results?. Yeah it took a punch in the face for people to show up and even then its not a guarantee.

He is hardcore libertarian through and through. Ron and Rand Paul are his political heroes. Also it took until Trump being nominated that he rejected being a Republican since he only realized they were racist when he was nominated.

I assume his approval rating will go up for the first time in forever after this weekend.

Where does his approval rating increase for a sudden missile attack?

I just don't see any of the 90% of Dems suddenly liking Trump because he approved a military attack, and any gain with independents or Republicans could theoretically get cut into by the hardcore 30% that many of whom are isolationists.

Not really sure how it affects his approval, but it's all ephemeral anyway. Criminal investigations don't get distracted by missile launches. I'd guess it goes up for a bit because lobbing a bunch of missiles from offshore is the first time-honored Presidential tradition he's paid any respect to.

Diablos

Can't help but think this shaved several years off Merrick Garland's life. He has to be screaming on the inside.

He was robbed.

I know someone who refused to vote because he believed his vote didn't matter because of the electoral college. He cited Bush and Gore. But guess who posted a shock and utter fear after election results?. Yeah it tools a punch in the face for people to show up and even then its not a guarantee.

He is hardcore libertarian through and through. Ron and Rand Paul are his political heroes. Also it took until Trump being nominated that he rejected being a Republican since he only realized they were racist when they he was nominated.

I doubt he'll remain a hardcore libertarian or he will be conflicted once net neutrality is gone.

Where does his approval rating increase for a sudden missile attack?

I just don't see any of the 90% of Dems suddenly liking Trump because he approved a military attack, and any gain with independents or Republicans could theoretically get cut into by the hardcore 30% that many of whom are isolationists.

I see him climbing into the 40s a bit.

More and more it looks like this strike was both ineffective and ill planned.

It's unconscionable how McConnell basically manipulated the election to be an election of a supreme court justice as well as a president. Voting for Trump was okay because you "disagree with abortion" or "want to protect our 2nd amendment". Trump was right: the election was rigged.

But wasn't it? Obama, Hillary, Trump, etc all were very clear about the stakes of the election in terms of the Supreme Court. Clearly one base took that more seriously than the other, and here we are.

That being said I'm not sure McConnell would honor that view if Hillary had won and republicans kept the senate. I can imagine the senate holding the seat hostage and demanding a conservative justice to replace Scalia or else (nothing).

But wasn't it? Obama, Hillary, Trump, etc all were very clear about the stakes of the election in terms of the Supreme Court. Clearly one base took that more seriously than the other, and here we are.

That being said I'm not sure McConnell would honor that view if Hillary had won and republicans kept the senate. I can imagine the senate holding the seat hostage and demanding a conservative justice to replace Scalia or else (nothing).

You don't have to imagine, McCain basically made that threat back when it seemed like Trump was going to tank.

I completely agree that Garland being blocked violated a norm, but it's stupid to say we should just go back to unwritten rules later. As a culture we worship legal shenanigans; Perry Mason might as well be a folk hero.

If there are procedures we want followed and observed, those need to be written down. Not observed in good faith (since we as a nation don't actually care about good faith anything, it's much more impressive to be sneaky).

kirblar

I completely agree that Garland being blocked violated a norm, but it's stupid to say we should just go back to unwritten rules later. As a culture we worship legal shenanigans; Perry Mason might as well be a folk hero.

If there are procedures we want followed and observed, those need to be written down. Not observed in good faith (since we as a nation don't actually care about good faith anything, it's much more impressive to be sneaky).
Add two justices, lock the number at 11. Boom.

Crocodile

Putting aside the "norm-breaking" of packing the Supreme Court, how do you pack it in a way the GOP doesn't just pack more the next time they get power?

pigeon

Banned

Sure, I agree. Not sure whether it's actually politically possible, but the SCOTUS situation is only going to get worse from here.

You can think of Garland as a constitutional crisis -- we have constitutional rules and constitutional norms, and the GOP violated a constitutional norm. Norm violations will just continue and escalate until things are resolved in some way. That resolution probably needs to include some kind of compromise that results in a restoration of normalcy. It may also need to include some formal creation of constitutional rules to govern the process more effectively.

However Garland is literally only one of four or five things going on that could be considered constitutional crises, so there's a general breakdown of norms across the American government right now and that makes it much harder to figure out how to get back to normalcy or if it can ever happen.

Putting aside the "norm-breaking" of packing the Supreme Court, how do you pack it in a way the GOP doesn't just pack more the next time they get power?

I dunno. That's the problem with violating norms. Once you start, the other side is going to match you or escalate.

To clarify, I wasn't really suggesting court-packing with my comment. I was just observing that lots of things we take for granted about SCOTUS exist only because of constitutional norms, and the existence of only nine justices is one of them.

However, since the GOP is obviously willing to violate constitutional norms, it's really not impossible that they might just pack the court if they think they're going to lose control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom