• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't even muster a fake hearing for Garland. Destroyed senate norms for gorsuch. gg GOP
*party over country*

Wilsongt

At least Gorsuch is only filling an already conservative seat. If it were a liberal seat he was filling, then we could safely be in "oh my God our civil rights and liberties are fucked" mode.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
At least Gorsuch is only filling an already conservative seat. If it were a liberal seat he was filling, then we could safely be in "oh my God our civil rights and liberties are fucked" mode.
Fuck that.
It stopped being a conservative seat the moment Scalia's body got cold. This was Obama's appointment to make and it was stolen.

pigeon

Banned
SCOTUS SEATS DON'T HAVE LABELS ON THEM INDICATING WHAT IDEOLOGY TO FILL THEM WITH

People are going to lose civil rights in the next three decades but hey, loss aversion.

Plumbob

Honestly not the most outrageous thing Republicans have done in the past two decades.

They may have "stole" the seat but the behavior was legal. The remedy was at the voting booth and we failed to take it.

NeoXChaos

https://twitter.com/jamespmanley/status/850140377990537216

jim manley‏Verified account @jamespmanley 16h16 hours ago
More
jim manley Retweeted Kyle Kondik
For reasons I have never understood dems have never taken scotus as serious as republicans

https://twitter.com/LeonHWolf/status/850080834564628480
Leon Wolf‏Verified account
@LeonHWolf

A few thoughts on how completely and thoroughly the Democrats got their butts kicked politically on the Garland/Gorsuch SCOTUS fight. 1/
Leon Wolf‏Verified account @LeonHWolf 20h20 hours ago
Replying to @LeonHWolf
I'm genuinely amazed at their failure to make this a successful political issue with anyone - their base, the middle - literally anyone. 2/
More
One indication: less than an hour after McConnell went nuclear, MSNBC had moved on to other things. 3/

More
The opportunity to replace Scalia with a young liberal SHOULD HAVE been a big deal to their voters. 4/

More
Republican refusal to even hold hearings for Garland SHOULD HAVE been a huge motivator for their base. 5/

idk, Something about Hillary being no different or worse than Trump.

Crocodile

The implications of Citizen's United and the damage to the Voting Rights Act are the biggest losses progressives have suffered recently but I think they got overshadowed by the Gay Marriage victory so maybe a lot of voters got complacent? "Both Sides" was certainly in play in 2016 though and I still can't decide if that was worse than earnest Trump supporters.

daedalius

Jim Acosta‏ Verified account @Acosta 1m1 minute ago

"Senior administration official: Strike should not be interpreted as beginning of wider campaign to weaken or remove Assad."

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/850374254780706820

Good to see that there seems to be a coherent plan from the Trump admin when it comes to Syria...

so he launched a bunch of missiles, Syrians moved their shit, missiles basically did nothing, and now there is no wider plan to remove Assad.

What a fucking joke

pigeon

Banned
Honestly not the most outrageous thing Republicans have done in the past two decades.

They may have "stole" the seat but the behavior was legal. The remedy was at the voting booth and we failed to take it.

This is a fucking terrible take.

Obama was already elected and given the power to fill SCOTUS seats.

It's also totally legal to just appoint a hundred justices to the Supreme Court, since it has no limit on justices. The constraint of norms is meaningful and important, and lots of things you probably think are ironclad rest only on norms, so people need to take it seriously when those norms are violated. The country runs on them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think we need more on the court too but they would probably just stack it since they eliminated the filibuster they can do whatever they want with simple majority

Also the conservatives have ruled the court for eons so there's not much impetus to change a good thing

Wilsongt

People tried to warn voters about the SCOTUS, but nope.

Xenophobia and Bernie being cheated were more important than realizing that 5+ people could reverse policy for decades.

jtb

Banned
Every time the GOP discredited the legitimacy of Obama's presidency, they were politically rewarded for it.

This country is fucking stupid.

Wilsongt

Every time the GOP discredited the legitimacy of Obama's presidency, they were politically rewarded for it.

This country is fucking stupid.

Dems too lazy to vote/are too spread out to make a difference in the midwest.

When your base consists on young and middle aged people who can't always take off work/find time to vote on a tuesday vs An army of old people who are retired and militant Christians... Yeah.

DOWN

Banned
Do y'all listen to The Daily podcast by The NY Times? I just started to and think it's fantastic. Like a great 20 minute 60 Minutes piece on the biggest story of the day or week, each morning.

Anything similar out there?

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder if we'll finally start to see a dip in Abu Ivanka's GOP poll numbers considering how many of his supporters are upset with the Syria attack.

I could sense the far increased care about SCOTUS from republicans last year. Cruz and everybody else's intensity on the issue at the debates and during the general seemed to yield better reactions from their base. It felt like the dem base hated Scalia but stopped caring a week after.

Sibylus

Banned
This is a fucking terrible take.

Obama was already elected and given the power to fill SCOTUS seats.

It's also totally legal to just appoint a hundred justices to the Supreme Court, since it has no limit on justices. The constraint of norms is meaningful and important, and lots of things you probably think are ironclad rest only on norms, so people need to take it seriously when those norms are violated. The country runs on them.

Yup. American democracy is dead on its feet because (overwhelmingly) Republican and extremist political forces refuse to uphold norms and checks and balances. The law, the consensus system, they don't run without the consent of those who facilitate governmental function. With the shoulders shrugged and door opened to an illegitimate POTUS, a compromised SCOTUS with an illegitimate justice making contributions and dissents that are no more legitimate than he is, departments being run into the ground, and de facto one-party rule... the system has been delivered a mortal wound.

If the democrats win in 2020 and the supreme court is 6-3 republican due to someone retiring or dying I hope they say 'fuck everything' and add 3 more justices to make it 6-6, there's no actual law saying it has to be 9

jtb

Banned
I could sense the far increased care about SCOTUS from republicans last year. Cruz and everybody else's intensity on the issue at the debates and during the general seemed to yield better reactions from their base. It felt like the dem base hated Scalia but stopped caring a week after.

In retrospect, I think it's obvious that McConnell's gambit elected Trump. Even more so than Comey or Wikileaks or any other factor.

If the democrats win in 2020 and the supreme court is 6-3 republican due to someone retiring or dying I hope they say 'fuck everything' and add 3 more justices to make it 6-6, there's no actual law saying it has to be 9

an idea I like better (though probably more unfeasible... guessing it would require constitutional amendment?) is term limits.

the Supreme Court is a political body. that's fine, as long as we properly recognize its role in our democracy.

Crocodile

It was obvious what was at stake last year and the differences between the candidates couldn't have been more clear. Get better at critical thinking. If you were left-leaning and didn't vote last year, you have to hold that L for the rest of your life. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad in the end.

jtb

Banned
It's astonishing that Bush v Gore was just 16 years ago. People still aren't getting the message through their fucking skull.

It's unconscionable how McConnell basically manipulated the election to be an election of a supreme court justice as well as a president. Voting for Trump was okay because you "disagree with abortion" or "want to protect our 2nd amendment". Trump was right: the election was rigged.

It's astonishing that Bush v Gore was just 16 years ago. People still aren't getting the message through their fucking skull.

As someone who remembers that election one of the most frustrating things during the 2016 campaign was watching it play out like it did in 2000, with people saying that both sides are the same and it doesn't really matter who wins. Given what a disaster the Bush presidency was, you'd think people would learn their lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom