• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Pundits giving Trump credit for this knee jerk attack is just baffling. I don't get it at all. And Fareed Zakaria with his "Trump became president" junk?

Pundits giving Trump credit for this knee jerk attack is just baffling. I don't get it at all. And Fareed Zakaria with his "Trump became president" junk?
Trump's going to do something stupid next week and everyone saying "he finally became president" are going to look like fools, like the last seven times the media has proclaimed him a new man

Putting aside the "norm-breaking" of packing the Supreme Court, how do you pack it in a way the GOP doesn't just pack more the next time they get power?
Even if we didn't pack it with extra judges, what's to stop them from expanding the court first if we ever do get a majority of a nine-seat court?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Remember the last time he became the president?

hqdefault.jpg

Then what... like 24-48 hours later it was right back to the same old shit.

Surfinn

Lost some respect for Van after that. All he did was use someone to push a political agenda in an attempt make himself look good.

This feels just like that speech he did a few weeks into his presidency and everyone was like "TODAY HE BECAME OUR PRESIDENT" and 24 hours later more Russia stories dropped and people looked like a bunch of fools. I guess calling him a liar and a fraud every day got boring or something.

Brian Williams salivating over the rockets was disgusting though.

Crocodile

Low Bar + "Both Sides" + need for Plot Twists + Establishment kind of already wanted to do "something"/"anything" about Syria = heil Trump :/

The MSM can be so dangerous sometimes :(

Andrew Beatty‏Verified account @AndrewBeatty 39m39 minutes ago
More
In other news. AFP sources in Syria report that the base hit by Trump yesterday is already being used again to launch air strikes.

THEY'RE LAUGHING AT US

Democrats are still sucky at this Congress thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...uge-blow-to-trump_us_58e3fcc5e4b03a26a3670c30

Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) was the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s national mobilization chair in 2016. “Montana special election?” Clyburn said, when HuffPost asked if the DCCC planned to get more involved in the race. Somebody nearby told him the race was to replace Zinke. “Oh, I didn’t know about that,” Clyburn said.

Real good right there.

pigeon

Banned
Gabbard has the right idea going the other way with this

No, fucking Gabbard. She literally said "we don't even know if Assad used the chemical weapons, maybe it was the rebels." THAT IS WORSE.

Brian Schatz's statement is pretty much what I wanted. I called this morning to thank him, especially since it crosses Schumer's statement.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Lost some respect for Van after that. All he did was use someone to push a political agenda in an attempt make himself look good.

Same here. I mainly stick with print media now because I just can't handle the pundits anymore (except Angela Rye... I'll deal with some shit to see her)

NeoXChaos

Even if we didn't pack it with extra judges, what's to stop them from expanding the court first if we ever do get a majority of a nine-seat court?

and how would you even do term limits? would it be all of them up after the 10th year or make it like the Senate every year a seat ends up being up?

Teggy

Trump's going to do something stupid next week and everyone saying "he finally became president" are going to look like fools, like the last seven times the media has proclaimed him a new man

This feels just like that speech he did a few weeks into his presidency and everyone was like "TODAY HE BECAME OUR PRESIDENT" and 24 hours later more Russia stories dropped and people looked like a bunch of fools. I guess calling him a liar and a fraud every day got boring or something.

Brian Williams salivating over the rockets was disgusting though.

Low Bar + "Both Sides" + need for Plot Twists + Establishment kind of already wanted to do "something"/"anything" about Syria = heil Trump :/

The MSM can be so dangerous sometimes :(

It's like they are looking for any excuse to talk nice about him. It's just so odd.

pigeon

Banned
would they still be appointed the same way?

I assume so, yes.

This doesn't really solve the problem of leaving seats empty with a blockade, though. That needs to be solved separately. Once there are no lifetime appointments, I would seriously restrict the advise and consent power of the Senate. Maybe make them produce 60 votes to prevent seating somebody.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Let's just go with Rick Perry's (barf) idea for the Supreme Court.

20 18 year terms, staggered one appointment every 2 years (1st and third year of a presidents term.) every president gets at least 2 appointments, two term presidents would get 4 appointments.

If they die or retire before the 20 18 years the president can appoint someone to the remainder of that persons term.

Edit: Pigeon!!!1

I can't match, yeah it was 18 years. My bad. I want out of the "Rick Perry campaigned on a good idea" timeline.

No, fucking Gabbard. She literally said "we don't even know if Assad used the chemical weapons, maybe it was the rebels." THAT IS WORSE.

Brian Schatz's statement is pretty much what I wanted. I called this morning to thank him, especially since it crosses Schumer's statement.

Definitely. That medium post or whatever was......horrifying.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Note: Fareed Zakaria is a discredited serial plagiarist that is being inexplicably sheltered by CNN and his other employers. It is insulting to basic ethical standards that he was not fired. Anyone quoting Fareed Zakaria should be informed of this, there should literally never be a time that we are thinking about Fareed Zakaria besides observing this.

The US's response to Russia's invasion of Georgia and effective annexation of territory in 2008 was a big, beautiful, red reset button. How did that work out?

Not sanctioning behavior in gross violation of all international law is condoning it. It may not always produce immediate results but it's absolutely necessary if the West wants to maintain any shred of credibility in its rules-based international order.

If Putin cares about the quality of life of average Russian citizens, perhaps he should not annex parts of other countries' territory or continue to wage war against his neighbors.

The US's response to Crimea was sanctions. How did that work out?

The US has no credibility in its rules-ased international order. It has might. What little credibility you had was thrown away with Iraq, and never recovered. And wont be recovered for quite a bit more time, now that the orange fuckstick is in charge.

Thus... what is the desired outcome of the current sanctions? Are they close to achieving it?

jtb

Banned
David Frum had the right idea.

Two biases that are in favor of Trump:

1. Need to look "fair", so they'll praise him to re-establish their bona fides (be it as impartial or, if you're conservative, to re-ingratiate yourself to the base). There's no punishment for actors who act in bad faith. Rewards it, actually.

2. A need for a narrative. Constant idiocy is not a narrative, it's stagnancy. "Growing into the presidency" (or, just in general, WAR) is a narrative. Rewards Trumps's complete idiocy and lack of a coherent ideology.

Teggy

Note: Fareed Zakaria is a discredited serial plagiarist that is being inexplicably sheltered by CNN and his other employers. It is insulting to basic ethical standards that he was not fired. Anyone quoting Fareed Zakaria should be informed of this, there should literally never be a time that we are thinking about Fareed Zakaria besides observing this.

So what you're saying is he plagiarized Van Jones.

Ogodei

Yeah, Gabbard's response is right out of the Russia paid-shill-troll playbook. I've seen that shit online already, if it wasn't a hoax, it was a false flag. Yeah.

jtb

Banned
Tulsi Gabbard is literally Richard Spencer's new hero. Yeah, I'm sure she really hit the nail on the head.

She's absolutely abhorrent.

broz0rs

Personally, I've always thought Trump doesn't really have social and political opinions of his own, but rather that of people who he trusts most. If Bannon is truly done, there might be a drastic shift in his policies because the ideas that he will enforce will be from Kushner and Ivanka Trump.

Personally, I've always thought Trump doesn't really have social and political opinions of his own, but rather that of people who he trusts most. If Bannon is truly done, there might be a drastic shift in his policies because the ideas that he will enforce will be from Kushner and Ivanka Trump.

This is all because he hasn't had that much time to watch Fox News this week. Wait till he starts watching more Fox, he will realize he has to become more combative.

Slizeezyc

Education and Journalism major average GRE scores are near the bottom, which shouldn't be all that surprising to learn - https://magoosh.com/gre/2016/gre-scores-by-program-major/

Hey mannnnnn, this Journalism guy killed it, but then wised up and went into the medical field. So yeah, I was too standardized smart for it.

PS, can anyone give the toddler (see: me) a rundown on why Garland couldn't even get a hearing? I know the Turtle blocked and rejected the notion of it, but can't anyone do that, or was it because the House or Senate was a majority Republican (Was the Senate split or slightly Democratic before the election, I thought it was?)

In other words, what stopped the Democrats from doing the same before the Republicans even had a change to go "nuclear" with the Supreme Court filibuster?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The massive hypocrisy from republicans here is sickening. I wish we had a count for how many of them that were against Obama attacking Syria are now in favor of Trump doing it.

daedalius

The massive hypocrisy from republicans here is sickening. I wish we had a count for how many of them that were against Obama attacking Syria are now in favor of Trump doing it.

My wife pointed this out to me the other day.

I told her if you're republican you just don't even see hypocrisy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom