• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha the GOP is nervous about Rep. Cramer fucking it up against Heitkamp so they're trying to get someone else to run. You might remember him being the one who defended Spicer's Nazi comments and called the House Dem women wearing white at Trump's joint session speech "ugly".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/politics/kevin-cramer-north-dakota-senate/index.html

It's a pretty storied tradition in North Dakota politics to run the worst Republican against Heitkamp and lose. I think she's only lost to Hoevern?

Makai

Because Redmond would somehow escape unscathed from a nuke going off in Seattle.
It actually might. Here's the blast radius of the NK bomb. Redmond is way to the right. Even Stinkles might come out unharmed

BXUbAEU.jpg

Then the wind blows and ruins your day, but narrowly misses Microsoft and Nintendo.

FyreWulff

It actually might. Here's the blast and fallout radii of the NK bomb. Redmond is way to the right. Even Stinkles might come out unharmed

as long as i can get some of those sweet donuts before the tidal wave from the blast takes out all transit we're good

Zukkoyaki

So Trump is at Mar-a-Lago taking the weekend off while Pence is heading to South Korea to discuss the situation in Asia.

Honestly wishing he were president right now. I know he's an awful bigot who thinks you can pray the gay away but at least he would take the job seriously.

hahaha the GOP is nervous about Rep. Cramer fucking it up against Heitkamp so they're trying to get someone else to run. You might remember him being the one who defended Spicer's Nazi comments and called the House Dem women wearing white at Trump's joint session speech "ugly".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/politics/kevin-cramer-north-dakota-senate/index.html

It's a pretty storied tradition in North Dakota politics to run the worst Republican against Heitkamp and lose. I think she's only lost to Hoevern?
If Cramer is the nominee we should go for his open House seat.

I suggest Jason Kander

dramatis

Huh, I never realized the Oval Office wasn't in the "main" White House building.
Hence, "The West Wing"

People probably also don't know that the Oval Office basically didn't exist until the 1900s, and that the modern Oval Office came into existence only from FDR onward. The famous 'Lincoln Bedroom' was actually Lincoln's office.

Mike M

Nick N
It actually might. Here's the blast radius of the NK bomb. Redmond is way to the right. Even Stinkles might come out unharmed

Then the wind blows and ruins your day, but narrowly misses Microsoft and Nintendo.
Sure, if we pretend they won't be massively impacted by the annihilation of regional infrastructure, deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, the destruction of their satellite offices, etc. etc.

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/853244524285526018

Damn can any Connecticut gaffers shed some light on why Malloy is so fucking unpopular? A 66% disapproval rating? got damn

Raised taxes heavy during his 1st term which upset conservatives and moderates, then tried to moderate himself fiscally in his 2nd term (partly to try to stop GE from moving) which led to cuts to social services which pissed off liberals. That, combined with going hard on gun control meant that he's down to basically only partisan Democrat's.

If NK did launch a missile that could reach the West Coast, lord knows how accurately it could hit its target.

It's like back in the day, the reason the Soviets made such higher yield weapons was the fact their accuracy was kinda naff, and the yield was to compensate. If they were having such problems with all their investment, I just can't imagine how accurate an NK produced ICBM (that doesn't exist) would even be.

Wag

I'm bored so I was surfing randomly and started watching some of the past Kennedy Centers Honors on YouTube. It's been held annually since '78 and the POTUS and FLOTUS always attend. Is this no more? It would be a shame if it was. 😪

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bernie annoys me greatly.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenSanders/status/853315618967359489

Ignoring that many people like white nationalism and fossil fuel jobs is setting yourself up for disappointment.

This is probably strictly accurate in the sense that there are parts of Trump's platform any specific state might reject, but it is completely foolish to think that there are not states where white nationalism and destructive privatization are not politically popular.

Yes people who voted for Trump are surprised that he lied to them. This isn't because they were innocent saps who didn't really think he'd do any of that bad stuff

It was mostly a joke about LA being awful, but I also forgot about Boeing and the multiple military bases nearby. Lewis-McChord in particular is responsible for providing support in the case of military action on the Korean peninsula.

You don't need to literally blow up the actual offices of a company with the nuke in order to debilitate them. Annihilating downtown Seattle would completely destabilize the entire surrounding region.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You guys will go off against bernie for absolutely anything. He's just trying to mobilize democrats in red states by saying they can win. What's so bad about that?

I guess you guys would prefer him to say "For this particular 2018 election we might be able to win R+7 districts! So look up where your district stands on the Cook Report, and fight if your district is that close. Go ahead and stay home if not."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You guys will go off against bernie for absolutely anything. He's just trying to mobilize democrats in red states by saying they can win. What's so bad about that?

I guess you guys would prefer him to say "For this particular 2018 election we might be able to win R+7 districts! So look up where your district stands on the Cook Report, and fight if your district is that close. Go ahead and stay home if not."

I'm really sick of the idea that progressivism is secretly popular and we haven't won all of the good things we want because we've been cheated. Its a dangerously inaccurate way of understanding American politics. There is real opposition, from real voters, to progressivism, and there are plenty of states those people do actually control

Or, to put it this way: we're not going to win every state, clearly. When we don't, the narrative can't be "but we actually were the secret majority!"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really sick of the idea that progressivism is secretly popular and we haven't won all of the good things we want because we've been cheated. Its a dangerously inaccurate way of understanding American politics. There is real opposition, from real voters, to progressivism, and there are plenty of states those people do actually control

It's no wonder Democrats suck at messaging when so many of them read so much into a small mobilization statement meant for the people that like him enough to follow him on twitter.

Not everything has to be a part of some big debate about the fundamentals of party politics.

kirblar

It's no wonder Democrats suck at messaging when so many of them read so much into a small mobilization statement meant for the people that like him enough to follow him on twitter.

Not everything has to be a part of some big debate about the fundamentals of party politics.
It's not wonder Bernie lost the south when that statement lies in stark contradiction to the entire history of the region.

Bernie thinks he's fucking Superman and the GOP is always using Kryptonite. You CANNOT win with that attitude because it doesn't acknowledge reality!

Or maybe Democrats suck at messaging because they have tried to do what Sander's is doing here for decades and it doesn't work. Do you really think that Sander's preaching to the choir is some novel tactic?

teiresias

Bernie just wants to peddle that nonsense so that when Dems don't win area​s they obviously were not going to he can blame the DNC and the "establishment." Obviously his supporters eat it up, even in here as they ask why money wasn't wasted on lost causes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is there a reason there is no thread about the TaxMarch and/or pro-trump and counter protests (antifa) going on in places like Berkeley today?

I'm scared to start a thread in case there is a reason for it (aka being deleted, etc.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

That definitely evaporates two Microsoft buildings and casa stinkles better have its sunglasses on because it is gonna get bright.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He is someone literally incapable of learning.

The fact that many places actively vote for this stuff should be obvious. Instead he just projects his own state everywhere else.

Why are you trying to force the discussion back into relitigating the primary? I thought everyone was sick of that discussion by now.

Fact of the matter is that right now he's the most popular members of congress, and him telling democrats they can win if they get active is a positive thing for democrats. Maybe that doesn't mean he's the future of the party, but I can't believe people would get upset at comments like this.

Or maybe Democrats suck at messaging because they have tried to do what Sander's is doing here for decades and it doesn't work. Do you really think that Sander's preaching to the choir is some novel tactic?

It's not preaching to the choir, it's getting people that don't vote to vote. I don't know how novel that is exactly, but I think his confidence in his message is unique and does message well, even if it's not accurate or earned.

Not that I think this particular thing is some genius move of messaging, but it seems ridiculous that people here are hating that he's doing this. What, do you want to hide away your most popular congress member? Do you want him to not give callouts to tax cuts for the rich or climate change or planned parenthood because it might not actually win red states over? What the hell do you want him to do?

Seriously, the intense hatred here for anything Bernie does is so out of proportion, and is no better than the extreme hate Hillary got from other democrats over every single thing she did.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there a reason there is no thread about the TaxMarch and/or pro-trump and counter protests (antifa) going on in places like Berkeley today?

I'm scared to start a thread in case there is a reason for it (aka being deleted, etc.)

Dunno but the fascists and antifascists are wailing on each other in Berkeley. Meanwhile shop owners pay the price as usual.

kirblar

You can't win if you don't acknowledge the state of the battlefield. You can't win if you think that there's a secret silent majority out there waiting for you when no such magical cavalry exists.

kirblar

As if tactics are decided by MSNBC interviews and twitter posts.
Bernie's delusional view of the world has been well-established via said twitter posts, cable interviews and debates.

The reason many of us react with complete vitriol is because this delusional wing of the party gained control of the Dems in the '70s and Labour this decade and it's an absolute disaster if we let it happen again. (Yes, it's worse than the current not-good status quo.) We need improvement. That is not improvement.

As for the tax day protests, the only things I've seen are from Patton Oswalt's twitter the past few days and this gem from today:
@shane_bauer

Some people set up an "empathy tent" at the pro-Trump rally in Berkeley. Totally empty.

C9evIqMVwAAhD9L.jpg:large

dramatis

When Trump was thinking about the finalists—they included New Jersey governor Chris Christie and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, along with Pence—he reviewed thick briefing binders. At the time, Kushner joked to campaign colleagues that Christie’s read like a John Grisham novel, Newt’s read like a Danielle Steel novel, and Mike Pence’s read like the Bible.
I wonder what Newt's was like

Bernie in the primary expressed confusion that the GOP got over 5% of the vote.

This is not just mobilization, it's something he believes.

And it annoys me.

So.. Are there just a large amount of alt right crazies in Berkeley that I don't know about? Or is this some kind of crazy people convergence that's going on there?

Holmes

So.. Are there just a large amount of alt right crazies in Berkeley that I don't know about? Or is this some kind of crazy people convergence that's going on there?
No. But there are millions of people in the Bay Area and the extremities. A decent sized group is bound to show up to any kind of event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom