• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://whitehouse.gov1.info/easter-egg-roll/

Well, it appears the Easter Egg Roll is still on with Melania hosting. They're already warning on the website to keep the expectations low. I'm hoping everything will go well for the kid's sake but we all know how it goes with the current administration.

They've clearly been hiding Melania from the press, now that she's going to be hosting an event, I don't see how they're going to be able to do that.
hqdefault.jpg

obama-easter-egg-hunt.jpg
;(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You mean the 1988 Democratic Party that included John Breaux, Sam Nunn, Lloyd Bentsen, David Boren, and James Exon in the Senate caucus? Or had future Republican Senator Phil Gramm in it's caucus only four years earlier? Lefties really need to get over this nostalgia of the 1970's or 1980's Democratic Party has some uberliberal party, even on economics.

I'm not saying it was some uber-leftwing party. I'm saying that if you read the Democratic Party Platform, it's marginally to the left of what Clinton campaigned on, economically (e.g. note the section on mergers and monopolies, absent from the current platform). There's very little ground between the Democratic Party now and then (in either direction).

The Democratic platform isn't more to the left, it's that the Democratic party is more internally consistent - Democrats vote more like other Democrats than they used to (or: the 'mean' Democratic opinion is unchanged, but the 'standard deviation' of Democratic opinion has reduced).

kirblar

I'm not saying it was some uber-leftwing party. I'm saying that if you read the Democratic Party Platform, it's marginally to the left of what Clinton campaigned on, economically (e.g. note the section on mergers and monopolies, absent from the current platform). There's very little ground between the Democratic Party now and then (in either direction).

The Democratic platform isn't more to the left, it's that the Democratic party is more internally consistent - Democrats vote more like other Democrats than they used to (or: the 'mean' Democratic opinion is unchanged, but the 'standard deviation' of Democratic opinion has reduced).
Trans rights, gay rights nowhere to be seen.

A titantic seismic shift handwaved by those who seek to diminish just how big a change this was because they didnt see a benefit to themselves.

Dems are far to the left of where they were on social issues across thd board.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dems are far to the left of where they were on social issues across thd board.

I agree. The shift is largely on social issues. I was responding to Technomancer, who said that the Democratic party was moving to the left economically. It isn't.

Did you guys see the new GA-6 polls?

Ossoff hitting 45% on Tuesday in that. Average of polls has Ossoff around 43-44%.

In the run off, Ossoff was tied with Handel.

C9fC1YdXgAAIhOF.jpg

C9fDr_TXsAAPh06.jpg

Though one big issue is that all polls from GA-6 have been with poor quality pollsters.

dramatis

https://whitehouse.gov1.info/easter-egg-roll/

Well, it appears the Easter Egg Roll is still on with Melania hosting. They're already warning on the website to keep the expectations low. I'm hoping everything will go well for the kid's sake but we all know how it goes with the current administration.

They've clearly been hiding Melania from the press, now that she's going to be hosting an event, I don't see how they're going to be able to do that.
The White House residence part keeps the staff between administrations (I think?) so Melania just has to be presentable.

One thing that might be problematic is that the WH sometimes relies on local volunteers for assistance and I doubt people will want to volunteer for this WH.

Teggy

Trump celebrating Easter by complaining about tax day protests (and calling them paid) and bragging about his electoral college victory.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I agree. The shift is largely on social issues. I was responding to Technomancer, who said that the Democratic party was moving to the left economically. It isn't.

I suppose its technically accurate that the platform of '88 was ostensibly further to the left on economic issues than we are right now. Four years later though they actually achieved power and the Clinton years are not remembered as being particularly economically left years

Sanders is only useful for republicans. He is solely responsible for creating a division in the Democratic party that now seeks to appease this fringe extremist element that is no different than racists who have no understanding or concern for social equality.

Republicans enjoy Sanders shining a light on the empty words of the Democratic party and how the establishment is corrupt. Moreover, the GOP enjoys watching people lash out trying to dismiss legitimate issues as he airs the dirty laundry. Sanders highlights the fact millions of folks don't share your worldviews within your own party and want a dramatic change. He's not solely responsible for spreading that idea or making people agree with him. Nevertheless, if the Sanders wing takes control or the establishment maintains control...Democrats will still lose elections and correspondingly power. Sanders isn't making stuff up. In any event, the GOP can beat anything the Democratic party puts out there as we can clearly see.

DonShula

Do you guys think that Trump flip-flopping on certain issues and not owning up to his promises from the campaign will lose supporters in the long run?

I think there's still room to shave off some support. But a large chunk of what he has right now is in for the nationalism and war against liberals. He isn't going to lose that group unless he starts acting like a Democrat. It is a bit concerning for him that Breitbart is going at his staff a bit lately. But I bet that bubble is a ways off from bursting. I'd expect indictments before that happens.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yes, he's already lost some cred with his base and there are absolutely a number of people who were voters but not enthusiastic fans who now view him as a flip-flopper.

I think there's still room to shave off some support. But a large chunk of what he has right now is in for the nationalism and war against liberals. He isn't going to lose that group unless he starts acting like a Democrat. It is a bit concerning for him that Breitbart is going at his staff a bit lately. But I bet that bubble is a ways off from bursting. I'd expect indictments before that happens.

The nationalists are the ones getting angry at him for bombing Syria and Afghanistan. If you actually read their reddits and twitters you will see that their thoughts about him have absolutely changed, even if they still support him for now.

Trump’s Beyoncé-free Easter Egg Roll

Last year’s White House Easter egg roll featured a surprise visit from Beyoncé; athletes from the NBA and Washington Redskins; and a performance by actress and singer Idina Menzel, the voice behind that catchy song from the movie “Frozen.”

This year, the big act for the Trump administration is the Martin Family Circus, a six-person family band from Nashville that’s driving up to D.C. for the annual event in an RV.
The White House did not reach out to the Martin Family Circus about the possibility of performing until three or four weeks ago and were still nailing down the details, six days before the event. The Martins still had not figured out where they would stay or park their van, or how many sets they would play. “I get the impression that things will continue to change up to the day of,” said Paul Martin, one of the leader’s and the dad of the band. “We’ll just be along for the ride.”

Do you guys think that Trump flip-flopping on certain issues and not owning up to his promises from the campaign will lose supporters in the long run?
Realistically, I would say around 25% is his floor.

That 25% is going to be comprised mainly of people who bought into the personality cult and/or believe that no matter what you say about Trump, the Democrats are always worse anyway.

Fortunately it's really hard to win elections when only 25% of the country likes you - at least for the incumbent it is.

Realistically, I would say around 25% is his floor.

That 25% is going to be comprised mainly of people who bought into the personality cult and/or believe that no matter what you say about Trump, the Democrats are always worse anyway.

Fortunately it's really hard to win elections when only 25% of the country likes you - at least for the incumbent it is.

It seems like he is not evening trying to get more support from the voter base or has no idea how to even do it.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem? We will see what happens!
8:18 AM · Apr 16, 2017

Because you literally...

Oh whatever.

sazzy

Thats Anthony Atamanuik. Best Trump impersonator in biz, by far. Comedy Central is giving him his own show.

I really hope CC set him up with a great writing staff because, while his performance skill is stellar, the material can get very old very quickly.

Zereta

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem? We will see what happens!
8:18 AM · Apr 16, 2017

Because you literally...

Oh whatever.

This fucking guy.

I can't help but respect his audacity a little. Before I puke.

Some of them yes. A lot of them no. However, it can depend on what he flip-flops on. If he says he does not want to do the wall for instance than that might have a bigger effect. A large chuck of his supporters will leave him if he fails some of his promises.

the most terrifying thing about that tweet is the fact that i can't tell if he's too stupid to remember or if he's intentionally being obtuse.

both are terrifying but the former scares me a hell of a lot more.

I suppose its technically accurate that the platform of '88 was ostensibly further to the left on economic issues than we are right now. Four years later though they actually achieved power and the Clinton years are not remembered as being particularly economically left years
1988 was the first time the neoliberals who'd been taking over the party got their candidate in anyways, they just made the mistake of running a block of wood instead of someone charming like Clinton. I bet Dukakis wouldn't be that different from Clinton on economic issues, though I don't think he'd have tried to pass anything like the Crime Bill.

'72 is where the real crazy platform is.

Some of them yes. A lot of them no. However, it can depend on what he flip-flops on. If he says he does not want to do the wall for instance than that might have a bigger effect. A large chuck of his supporters will leave him if he fails some of his promises.

I would say his promise on the coal jobs is going to be the big hit coming to him.

JP_

Banned
Started watching Scandal because I'd seen some praise on GAF but wow this show is cheesier than West Wing. I guess it's kind of interesting to see a bizarro world where Republicans actually followed their own advice in 2012 and drifted toward the left on immigration etc though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the most terrifying thing about that tweet is the fact that i can't tell if he's too stupid to remember or if he's intentionally being obtuse.

both are terrifying but the former scares me a hell of a lot more.
I read it more like a threat regarding quid pro quo than a denial he ever said it.

Edit: I'm sure he will specifically deny he ever said it at some point, but not yet.

I. Er. What? How the hell does diplomatic partnership is remotely relate to currency manipulation? Is this an admission that people are just guilty of stuff whenever Trump is mad at them, reality be damned? That every word out of his mouth is attempted libel? (Yes, obviously)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That would only really hurt him in PA and Ohio, the bigger states for coal can afford to take a few knocks to GOP popularity and still be solid R.

Considering he literally won by less than 100,000 total votes in states like those, that sure would be a big deal all on its own.

kirblar

The party moving right on economics was a good. thing.

Yes, it was a greenspan/80s-fueled overcorrection that we still haven't gotten to fix because voters have given the GOP power at a national level for the majority of the past 40-50 years. But this isn't sexy, simple or stupid enough for most people to understand.

Ac30

What did he tweet? I don't visit that account.

I did what was an almost an impossible thing to do for a Republican-easily won the Electoral College! Now Tax Returns are brought up again?

Someone should look into who paid for the small organized rallies yesterday. The election is over!

The President, everyone!

Someone should arrest (((Soros))) already, he's even pissing off the Hungarians!

Also easily won lmfao, nice margins there bud

I would say his promise on the coal jobs is going to be the big hit coming to him.

It would hurt him in some states. The GOP makes a huge deal about coal mining, but that is their main problem. They are making promises they can't keep for a short-term gain of winning elections without considering the fallout if their promises aren't kept or planning on how to generate jobs for those communities that rely on coal.

The optics would look extremely bad if the coal industry falls under their watch, which I find somewhat likely. The number of coal jobs is around 50,000 and it loses a few thousand every year. By the time Trumps first term is over I imagine that it'll be much less than that, and his supporters will have dissatisfaction with him. The companies themselves won't survive much long after because rising temperatures and competition from other energy sources. The lose of those jobs with compound with the increasing deaths of White Americans as more rural areas and small towns will go further into poverty.

I don't expect the people within those communities to vote against the GOP, but a few more of them won't vote for them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom