• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Does anyone here live in Colorado (especially in the Denver metro area)? I was wondering if anybody knew of some ways to get more involved in my state and local politics. I feel like I'm not doing enough as a citizen.

Does anyone here live in Colorado (especially in the Denver metro area)? I was wondering if anybody knew of some ways to get more involved in my state and local politics. I feel like I'm not doing enough as a citizen.

Best way to get started is to look up your local DNC chapter and attend their meetings.

Can't you just feel the love this morning?

C9n0rTKXsAARNDV.jpg:large

Can't you just feel the love this morning?

C9n0rTKXsAARNDV.jpg:large

Meanwhile, in Obamaland...

K6UsHeN.jpg

GYvCimy.jpg

lvve5gY.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b0bb9638e4dd40?uol&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

The former president was spotted serving as Michelle Obama’s dutiful Instagram husband on a boat near the French Polynesian island Moorea. (For extra dad points, he appears to be using a tablet.) It’s a familiar scene to anyone who’s ever gone on vacation with their significant other, until you learn the “boat” is an over 450-foot yacht belonging to bllionaire David Geffen, and that Bruce Springsteen and his wife, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, and possibly Oprah were also on board.

Slacker

President Boss Baby has had a fun morning on twitter as always. He RT'd a Drudge Report link about his approval rating over 50% (cue the siren lights), tossed out a meaningless comment about the fake media, and tweeted about the "super Liberal Democrat in the Georgia Congressioal race tomorrow" who wants to raise your taxes and give the money to criminals so they can commit more crimes. Odd capitalization and typos, of course, are his.

Oh, and he recommended a gag book of good liberal ideas (full of blank pages) which is ironically probably the only book he's ever read all the way through.

dramatis

Listening to the Brian Lehrer show about North Korea, and a Sanders-to-Trump supporter (proclaiming he's a lifelong Democrat) called in and said it's completely fine for Trump to change his position on China and North Korea, because Trump needs to change his position depending on the situation on the ground.

I sighed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

http://denverdemocrats.org/

Depends on how far in you want to go. You could just show up at those meetings on that website or other town halls and speak your mind. Sometimes you can find a small like minded group there to really lobby for a particular city or state legislation, though it's rare.

You could contact the county chair or vice chair from that site to ask about who your precinct chair is. It's fairly common that the seat is empty, and you can go straight to being a party official with access to their voter data and other get out the vote resources for door to door canvassing. If the seat is already filled, you can contact them to ask to work with them if they're active, or ask to take over their seat if they're inactive.

Alternatively, pick a single candidate you want to volunteer for, and try to get involved there. Sign up as a volunteer for their email list or follow the campaign on twitter/facebook and see what events come up. That way you can maybe spend a saturday phone banking.

For protesting, Indivisiblecolorado.net does a good job at organizing, they have a facebook and twitter to follow for finding events like that.

wutwutwut

I know Louise Mensch and that 20committee guy are a little out there, but I've heard many of the same unverified rumors completely independently.

My personal belief in their probability is still low across the board, but highest for the RICO rumors.

Slacker

So to recap:

* Can't repeal Obamacare with control of House and Senate
* Can't stand ground on NATO, China, Syria, etc
* Can't hire competent staff
* Can't sign a hat and hand it back to someone

Sounds about right.

How the right wing can defend this idiot while trying to make Obama out as being the worst thing in the world, here to destroy your bank account and family. is baffling to me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah and then the moment when he gave his little speech and then just aimlessly wandered out of the room without signing his executive order.

pigeon

Banned
They're rarely right, though. A more realistic picture of life in extremely poor countries is: you don't have a choice between the sweatshop and subsistence farming because many of these countries are not agriculturally self-sufficient and there isn't enough land to support the current population as subsistence farmers. Instead, you get pushed into the city slums. These slums often have one very large sole employer, usually an MNC, which pushed everyone out of the market. You therefore have a choice between work and death; unsurprisingly people choose work.

This doesn't mean that this is somehow the optimal situation. For example, a more competitive labour market for labour employers would improve working conditions and lead to more employment - after all, the way monopsony markets work is by deliberately underemploying labour in order to drive the price of labour down and increase profit margins (think monopoly in reverse). So we have reason to want to be suspiscious of and even hostile towards large MNCs that undercut local markets and set up sweatshops for terrible working conditions. If you were to specifically buy from Third World small business and avoid MNCs, you can square the circle of: "how do we prevent horrific working conditions without depriving people of jobs?". Bad Samaritans is quite a good pop-economics read on this topic, for the interested.

Sure. I mean, your first paragraph there mostly describes the Industrial Revolution. The main thing I'd quibble with is the assumption that the reason there are no other available employers is because the MNC somehow cleared the market. If local employers could offer a better deal then it's unclear how they get eliminated.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's like he honestly forgets where he is for several seconds at a time. He almost went into rally mode standing next to an Easter Bunny.
I really wish he had talked more about the disaster of Obamacare and how he was going to bring back coal jobs. "Santa here won't bring coal back BUT I WILL!" *shakes easterbunny's hand, walks out*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom