• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. I mean, your first paragraph there mostly describes the Industrial Revolution. The main thing I'd quibble with is the assumption that the reason there are no other available employers is because the MNC somehow cleared the market. If local employers could offer a better deal then it's unclear how they get eliminated.

MNCS in the short-run operate at margins local firms can't compete with. Local firms collapse. The MNC is the only firm in the market. The MNC then puts prices up above what they were in the local-only market. Local firms can't re-enter the market because that requires an upfront investment they don't have. This is a really well-known occurrence, a specific example of which is called dumping.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_(pricing_policy)

How the right wing can defend this idiot while trying to make Obama out as being the worst thing in the world, here to destroy your bank account and family. is baffling to me.

It's because of that. They are the Anti-Liberal Party now. This is also why legislation is fucked despite the hat trick. It's that devil's bargain rearing its head again.

pigeon

Banned
MNCS in the short-run operate at margins local firms can't compete with. Local firms collapse. The MNC is the only firm in the market. The MNC then puts prices up above what they were in the local-only market. Local firms can't re-enter the market because that requires an upfront investment they don't have. This is a really well-known occurrence, a specific example of which is called dumping.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_(pricing_policy)

I'm familiar with the concept of dumping. But we're talking about the labor market. Are you saying that corporations are dumping in Third World countries with the specific intention of eliminating local businesses so that they can then turn around and employ the workers that are displaced by the elimination of those businesses? I haven't heard before of the idea of dumping to create a monopsony.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm familiar with the concept of dumping. But we're talking about the labor market. Are you saying that corporations are dumping in Third World countries with the specific intention of eliminating local businesses so that they can then turn around and employ the workers that are displaced by the elimination of those businesses? I haven't heard before of the idea of dumping to create a monopsony.

Yes. I mean, it's to create a monopoly just as much as as monopsony, but yes. Hence the relatively strong relationship between more protectionist developing economies and better working conditions, when according to the story Vox tells you would expect the reverse.

Pew:

C9oQkyLVwAA4nZ1.jpg:large

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER:

C9oRy73XUAECS3x.jpg:large

http://www.people-press.org/2017/04/17/public-dissatisfaction-with-washington-weighs-on-the-gop/

Yes. I mean, it's to create a monopoly just as much as as monopsony, but yes. Hence the relatively strong relationship between more protectionist developing economies and better working conditions, when according to the story Vox tells you would expect the reverse.
This is explicitly why South Korea has an automobile industry right?

I genuinely do believe Trump has early dementia.
Me too. Ever since that Washington Post editorial board meeting. It just seemed to go beyond being tired and shallow. I dimly recall being alive during the Reagan era and absorbing all the Reagan Alzheimer's jokes, and thinking it was all a big laugh. Now it's fucking terrifying.

Joe

Can someone tell me if John Schindler (@20committee) is full of shit or is the jury still out?
What's he saying that has you wondering?

He's just consistently confident that people close to the administration/campaign will be going to jail and that the whole mess will get even bigger. But he's also fairly confrontational and self-aggrandizing so his whole demeanor might just lend to itself to hyperbole.

teiresias

I genuinely do believe Trump has early dementia.

I mean, he's 70, would that age still make it early onset dementia? I have no idea what the clinical definition is.

[Edit] Link I found says the cutoff is 65, so it would be regular dementia.

HuffPo is quoting a Gallup poll that says only 45% believe Trump keeps his promises. That's down from 62% in early February.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I mean, he's 70, would that age still make it early onset dementia? I have no idea what the clinical definition is.

HuffPo is quoting a Gallup poll that says only 45% believe Trump keeps his promises. That's down from 62% in early February.

I didn't mean early onset, I meant early. As in not raging dementia, but at the point where he's forgetting shit and wandering around aimlessly.

All this is meaningless if Dems don't win GA-6 either tomorrow or in runoff. That would mean that people who don't like Trump will still vote for their Republican party and not stay home.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
All this is meaningless if Dems don't win GA-6 either tomorrow or in runoff. That would mean that people who don't like Trump will still vote for their Republican party and not stay home.

That's a pretty wide statement. If the Republican wins by the same margins the seat was last won by, yeah you're right. If he wins by a single vote, it's not exactly meaningless, is it?

Ogodei

Force of habit is a strong thing in politics, hence why the Democrats controlled Southern legislatures as late as 2010. Despite increased polarization and nationalization, people will still vote as they are accustomed even if they get on a rational level that they're voting for the wrong party.

That abortion number is interesting.
Perhaps all the stories about Republicans passing crazy nonsensical abortion bills has had an impact.

Keeping abortion legal has been the majority view forever. It's just that the anti-abortion crowd is vocal, is often single-issue, and really gets out an votes.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Keeping abortion legal has been the majority view forever. It's just that the anti-abortion crowd is vocal, is often single-issue, and really gets out an votes.
If anti abortion advocates really cared about reducing abortions they would want it to be legal, safe, and broadly and available too (in coordination with free universal reproductive healthcare and comprehensive sex education.)

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
As an outsider, I feel like the Republicans being trusted more with the economy, at this point, tells you everything you need to know about the country.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If anti abortion advocates really cared about reducing abortions they would want it to be legal, safe, and broadly and available too (in coordination with free universal reproductive healthcare and comprehensive sex education.)

They could at least provide the second while still trying to maintain their opposition on the first. Research shows it's highly effective at preventing it to begin with.

Wilsongt

Should just change all of the votes in GA-6 to Bernie Sanders.

LE SHOCK!

The right-wing Hungarian government’s impending crackdown on “foreign funded” civil society groups has been roundly condemned by both the European Union and watchdogs such as Amnesty International. But Rep. Steve King (R-IA) thinks it’s a great idea.

On Monday, the U.S. congressman tweeted his support for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, whose government proposed the law targeting organizations that receive funds from abroad.

The law appears to be specifically aimed at demolishing Central European University, a Budapest-based school founded by the liberal financier George Soros. A native of Hungary, Soros is a frequent target of opprobrium from both the American and Hungarian far right.

That darn Soros funding liberal education in Hungary! How dare he!!

So how did it get that way?

Because it can't be the economic upturn during Reagan's time, because Clinton and Obama both had good economies as well, and even more so for Obama because he took a financial disaster and cleaned it up, putting us back on track.

Crocodile

So how did it get that way?

Because it can't be the economic upturn during Reagan's time, because Clinton and Obama both had good economies as well, and even more so for Obama because he took a financial disaster and cleaned it up, putting us back on track.

Repetition? The only "positive" message the GOP has is about the economy. Say "we want to bring back jobs!" enough times and don't give any other air time to messages like "better healthcare, civil rights, etc." and people will start to believe you? Democrats on the other hand have multiple positive messages so one message doesn't define the party as well?

Democrats also conceded in the late 80's that Reagan was basically right on economics, just that they could do it better. I thought Democrats usually beat Republicans on the economy though and that this is a change from the status quo that the GOP is winning that category? I don't have any numbers on hand though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom