• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 4m4 minutes ago
More
Breaking: Ossoff (D) wins 57% of Cobb's in-person absentees. Again, that's roughly what he needs to hit 50%, but very close... #GA06

Its really, really close to happening.

I'm going to say that it was very apparently early that Thompson's lead in KS-04 was not going to hold and the real question was how big a margin Estes would get. I'm not saying Ossoff is getting 50%, but it's not clear that he isn't.

wandering

Banned
For ease of access:

dCoiE5P.png

Even if we go to a runoff, these numbers have me excited. Ossoff has really gotten the "base" energized and clearly has won some crossover votes.

However, a win without going to the runoff would be epic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting 49.9% would be heartbreaking. I'm all in now. I want 50%+1.

Ogodei

If he can get super-close to 50%, then you would assume that the Democrats who are voting for the other Democratic candidates could put him over the top in a runoff.

NeoXChaos

How many millennial republican congressional members are there

4. With Murphy gone Gabbard is the only Democratic Millennial.

We have not had our first millennial senator yet. Kander and Murphy were the most likely and they lost last year. Have no clue where the first one will come from R or D wise.

Chumly

If he can get super-close to 50%, then you would assume that the Democrats who are voting for the other Democratic candidates could put him over the top in a runoff.
Actually that's not the case at all. A two person runoff with more republican firepower will bring more voters. Most people give him the best chances of winning it outright verses a runoff

19m
Daily Kos Elections‏ @DKElections
Right now the early vote totals we're seeing are necessary, but not sufficient, for Ossoff to break 50%. Looonnng way to go #GA06

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 16m16 minutes ago
More
Based on a turnout of 150k, Ossoff would need about 44% of the Election Day vote to win #GA06 outright. That's harder than it sounds.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 1m1 minute ago
More
Ossoff at 48.6% of the Election Day vote w/ 9/210 precincts reporting so far. But 6/9 precincts are DeKalb, his best area. #GA06

Based on the first nine precincts Ossoff may come up just short. Super close though.

Is there a reason why it HAS to be 50% +1? Like I know those are the rules, but why?

In theory, if a district race is held between 20 people, where 19 of them get 4.9% each and the 20th gets the remaining 6.9%, you'd have a district Rep who only got picked by less than a tenth of the district.

With a jungle primary, if someone clears 50%, then you might as well call it. If not, you pick the top two and then by definition someone will clear 50% there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom