• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Lovett's argument was something I've heard dozens of times from people who were saying "both candidates are awful" last year; but I'm open ears this time, because it's Lovett and I know he's making the argument in good faith.

I feel like this Sanders vs Establishment shit has been the elephant in the room on PSA for months and I'm glad they seem to feel ready to tackle it head-on finally.

Also all this Lovett or Leave it hate??? It's supposed to be lighthearted and dumb you guys. I'm so far behind on all the Crooked pods, I dunno how any of you all can feel forced to listen to ones that aren't your jam.
/rantwheel

I listen to PSA, PStW, and Ana Marie Cox's podcast, but I really wish the cringe inducing "More nerdy stuff coming your way!" ad lead ins on Pod Save the World would stop.

Friends like these is the best imo because Ana Marie Cox is really good.

Vimes

I listen to PSA, PStW, and Ana Marie Cox's podcast, but I really wish the cringe inducing "More nerdy stuff coming your way!" ad lead ins on Pod Save the World would stop.

Friends like these is the best imo because Ana Marie Cox is really good.

I really need to catch up on Friends Like These. The Ira Madison pod early in the run was phenomenal. The Rick Wilson one right after... eugh. She dismantled all his dumb pro-gun shit with incredible ease and he just ignored her. He's right that the gun issue is a culture thing the dems are politically better off not tackling, but then comes off just as sanctimonious and snarky as he claims the pro-control people are. The point of the pod is to have a conversation and he repeatedly dodged her.

All these allegedly reasonable conservatives sound rational until you find their dumb privileged blind spot; and then it's down the damn rabbit hole of moved goalposts and deflection. Every time.

Chumley

Banned
I really need to catch up on Friends Like These. The Ira Madison pod early in the run was phenomenal. The Rick Wilson one right after... eugh. She dismantled all his dumb pro-gun shit with incredible ease and he just ignored her. He's right that the gun issue is a culture thing the dems are politically better off not tackling, but then comes off just as sanctimonious and snarky as he claims the pro-control people are. The point of the pod is to have a conversation and he repeatedly dodged her.

All these allegedly reasonable conservatives sound rational until you find their dumb privileged blind spot; and then it's down the damn rabbit hole of moved goalposts and deflection. Every time.

The Rick Wilson episode was really good because I actually learned about who he actually is for the first time since becoming a fan after his "Trump supporters are mostly childless single men who masturbate to anime" line almost 2 years ago.

Of course he has that one massive blind spot that even the smartest Republicans have when it comes to guns, and he dodged a few other questions but mostly owned up to the shots Ana Marie took at his party so in the end I still came out liking him. He's extremely intelligent regarding the gamesmanship of politics, moreso than almost anyone I can think of on the right and most on the left.

royalan

The quality of Lovett or Leave It depends on the guests, Lovett doesn't have the discipline to carry his own show.

I don't know if it's that. I wouldn't want Lovett to be more desciplined. Then he's not Lovett.

Lovett's​ strength is in his extremes. He goes back and forth between being the funniest guy in the panel, to the guy who comes in out of nowhere with the most salient points.

Problem is he needs a point guy. Somebody who's not really "funny" but keeps the conversation grounded.

That's why the best episodes of Lovett or Leavit are the two where there's at least one serious guest among the comedians. Like the episode with Jessica Yelling.

I don't know if it's that. I wouldn't want Lovett to be more desciplined. Then he's not Lovett.

Lovett's​ strength is in his extremes. He goes back and forth between being the funniest guy in the panel, to the guy who comes in out of nowhere with the most salient points.

Problem is he needs a point guy. Somebody who's not really "funny" but keeps the conversation grounded.

That's why the best episodes of Lovett or Leavit are the two where there's at least one serious guest among the comedians. Like the episode with Jessica Yelling.
Was she the CNN contributor?

Even if she wasn't it does sort of highlight something that'd help the pod, namely, having people on who're more personally invested in the topics of discussion so they can speak with authority on them, letting Lovett throw better zingers.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Canada has made business for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin and other border states very difficult. We will not stand for this. Watch!
8:30 AM · Apr 25, 2017

We are officially enemies of everyone except Russia.

We should be building a EU style relationship with Canada, with easy mobility between them and free trade.

It's just... weird to be so hostile, trade wise, to a country a large, fully developed, peaceful democratic nation that is a a couple hour drive away for like half the country.

Wilsongt

We should be building a EU style relationship with Canada, with easy mobility between them and free trade.

It's just... weird to be so hostile, trade wise, to a country a large, fully developed, peaceful democratic nation that is a a couple hour drive away for like half the country.

We also should have elected a highly qualified woman for office of the president, but some states that are only a few hours drive from Canada said otherwise.

Blader

Lovett's argument was something I've heard dozens of times from people who were saying "both candidates are awful" last year; but I'm open ears this time, because it's Lovett and I know he's making the argument in good faith.

I didn't think it was a both sides argument. His point is that the Democratic Party has the better, more appealing policies to most Americans, yet has been losing elections all across the country, up and down the ticket, for the past 8 years. Voters who choose to pass progressive ballot measures and then, on the very same ballot, elect Republican politicians. That's a genuine messaging problem. I think he hit the nail on the head: GOP policies are much worse for these voters, yet they these same voters continue to elect Republicans over and over again because the GOP has figured out a way to communicate with them and convince them otherwise.

I actually had to stop listening to With Friends Like These after the Rick Wilson episode. He was obnoxious, as is his wont, but her whole role in the conversation felt like trying to get a Republican insider to give up the goods on how Democrats can win elections, which I find really really tiresome in general and especially annoyed me in that episode.

I dropped Lovett or Leave It after the first ep, which was a mess and kind of redundant (don't need a third pod to rehash the week's news).

dramatis

Ivanka is at the Women20 summit in Berlin today and well, it's a tough (all-female) crowd:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/856831355354849282
I like her banner
1500x500

Blader

I agree that the 100-day benchmark is a pointless, arbitrary standard... but it is a standard he invoked many many times himself, of course!

Bill Clinton is literally the candidate you get by taking this "50-compromise strategy" to its logical extreme. Against welfare, against immigration, against people of color having equal rights, but at least he was an economic progressive! He wanted to pass single payer healthcare! Of course he failed to pass it by ignoring the political realities of the situation but he wanted to!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the bolded refer to?

I'd also say "against welfare" is a pretty big simplification.

Weren't they already working on a clean funding bill relatively painlessly already before Trump jumped into it?

I'm not convinced the FC is going to vote on a clean bill, although Democrats would, so I guess they don't really need the FC.

But now that's probably stalled or thrown out since Trump stuck his face into this "fight"

I'm not convinced the FC is going to vote on a clean bill, although Democrats would, so I guess they don't really need the FC.

But now that's probably stalled or thrown out since Trump stuck his face into this "fight"

It's hilarious that they'll need to rely on Dems moving forward after having Trump call them idiots at every turn. Good luck with that shit cheeto.

Pusha_93

Neo Member
Wow, so the route the GOP are going on healthcare is shockingly unpopular.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/public-pans-republicans-latest-approach-to-replacing-affordable-care-act/2017/04/25/25355eb0-26aa-11e7-bb9d-8cd6118e1409_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_poll-725a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.4323e5bb9fbc

Public sentiment is particularly lopsided in favor of an aspect of the current health-care law that blocks insurers from charging more or denying coverage to customers with medical conditions. Roughly 8 in 10 Democrats, 7 in 10 independents and even a slight majority of Republicans say that should continue to be a national mandate, rather than an option for states to retain or drop.

The survey finds 62 percent of Americans also support keeping federal requirements that many plans cover preventive services, maternity and pediatric care, hospitalization and prescription drugs, while 33 percent say states should decide what, if any, minimum coverage should be provided. Just under half of Republicans (46 percent) favor federal requirements, with support at 67 percent among independents and 80 percent among Democrats.

Chartable_Healthstatenational_4_24_new.PNG

I thought the waiver system would be somewhat palatable with general public, but they are NOT messing with with it all.

And on top of that, a good chunk don't even want it gone.

Beyond their criticism of GOP proposals for devolving health policy to the states, many Americans appear leery in general about a major overhaul to the health-care law often called Obamacare, with 61 percent preferring to ”keep and try to improve" it, compared with 37 percent who say they want to ”repeal and replace" it. Roughly three-quarters of Republicans prefer repealing and replacing the ACA, but more than 6 in 10 independents and nearly 9 in 10 Democrats favor working within its framework.

I'm wondering, is the GOP not understanding what people want or do they just straight not care?

Wow, so the route the GOP are going on healthcare is shockingly unpopular.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/public-pans-republicans-latest-approach-to-replacing-affordable-care-act/2017/04/25/25355eb0-26aa-11e7-bb9d-8cd6118e1409_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_poll-725a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.4323e5bb9fbc

Chartable_Healthstatenational_4_24_new.PNG

I thought the waiver system would be somewhat palatable with general public, but they are NOT messing with with it all.

And on top of that, a good chunk don't even want it gone.

I'm wondering, is the GOP not understanding what people want or do they just straight not care?

I wish there was a guaranteed way to let them pass Trumpcare without hurting anyone because it would give us another supermajority by 2020

Valhelm

contribute something
Ivanka is at the Women20 summit in Berlin today and well, it's a tough (all-female) crowd:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/856831355354849282

Hell yeah

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the bolded refer to?

I'd also say "against welfare" is a pretty big simplification.

How is it a simplification? Bill Clinton pursued right-wing policies that disproportionately harmed people of color, and cited avowed white supremacist Charles Murray as an influence on these policies.

7d14213c6d.png

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
First time watching/listening to Run the Jewels music videos. Is that Killer Mike that supported Bernie in RTJ?
This is my weekly opportunity to point out the increadble demonstration of white privilege Bernie had in having a black rapper named Killer Mike on the stump for him. Can you imagine Obama having a surrogate like him and the right doing a simple shrug?

Hell yeah

How is it a simplification? Bill Clinton pursued right-wing policies that disproportionately harmed people of color, and cited avowed white supremacist Charles Murray as an influence on these policies.

7d14213c6d.png

Maybe a different quote was meant here? This quote is him saying it's immoral to rip aid away from people.

Hardly an original thought, but I think one of the things that hurt Hillary's campaign was the way she was tied to Bill's administration. It seems strange given how popular Bill was and remains, but the 90s were a different time and a lot of compromises that were either necessary or perceived as necessary back then play very poorly today, especially among the Democratic base. And unfortunately she wasn't very good at addressing those sorts of issues (contrast with Gillibrand).

Zeke

Read thro the comment section on an Atlantic article and I can feel my brain cells killing themselves. I never learn :/

Hell yeah

7d14213c6d.png

Two points. The first is a real question, not some trolling. Pigeon say Clinton was against equal rights for people of color, and I have to really bend my mind to see that, unless I am missing something, and I might be. The unintended consequences of the 90s Crime Bill don't qualify in my mind. I was wonderign if there was something else.

Point two, welfare: Clinton ran on welfare reform, at a time when it was heavily demonized. If he were "against" it, he could have easily gutted it thoroughly, especially post 94.

Valhelm

contribute something
Maybe a different quote was meant here? This quote is him saying it's immoral to rip aid away from people.

Nope, read that again. Clinton is concurring with Charles Murray that reducing aid to poor people black people can keep their population down. He's just not sure if he can pursue that policy and still sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom