• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they even really had their tax plan formalized for if their healthcare plans had went their way, but now?

Shiieeettttt
Right?

Unless their plans are to say fuck it and just do tax cuts and say reform and hopes that people buy that then there is no way that they have a rough draft done, let alone a plan.

Apparently, Trump, with the help of Congress is being more successful on dismantling environmental laws than anything else now. People like to say they give a shit about Climate Change but it seems like it is just all talk and no action.

Wilsongt

Apparently, Trump, with the help of Congress is being more successful on dismantling environmental laws than anything else now. People like to say they give a shit about Climate Change but it seems like it is just all talk and no action.

Who needs an environment when there is money to be made?

Bladelaw

Healthcare has taken up a lot of mental space because it's a visible immediate problem. Can't really worry too much about the state of the planet if you're dead or dying bankrupt on the street.

chadskin

Trump sat across from Sessions — who he has blasted on Twitter recently — during the cabinet meeting. Never mentioned him.
https://twitter.com/tomnamako/status/892032718292299781

DGEjBdEXsAgTD0T.jpg

Awkward.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Congress part is what I meant. They should have the same health care as everyone else.

I never really got what people specifically want when they say "Congress should be on Obamacare!" Do people want Congress to have plans that are the minimum coverage? Do they want Congress to not provide healthcare, and have the members go through the public exchange (Which would make Congress in violation for its own laws). The Affordable Healthcare ACT is a set of minimums, which the healthcare plan Congress uses meet. It isn't like its a public option they could be made to use.

I never really got what people specifically want when they say "Congress should be on Obamacare!" Do people want Congress to have plans that are the minimum coverage? Do they want Congress to not provide healthcare, and have the members go through the public exchange (Which would make Congress in violation for its own laws). The Affordable Healthcare ACT is a set of minimums, which the healthcare plan Congress uses meet. It isn't like its a public option they could be made to use.
I assume they mean they'd have to buy private coverage on the DC exchange.
Edit: more likely their state of residence, on second thought.

UberTag

I completely forgot Linda McMahon was part of this administration.
What's her cabinet post again? Secretary of Sports Entertainment?
There's a Secretary of Keeping it Real in the administration that follows this one so it only makes sense to work up to it.

I wanna know what he was made to sign on his way out, cuz between this level of bootlicking, the widening GOP rift, and the horrorshit thrown his way by Snowflame and his crew it must be YUGE.

It's probably more that he's angling for a job somewhere. Especially if the Trump administration continues to implode. He can stand off to the side and say he left early without throwing firebombs.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Highest Stock Market EVER, best economic numbers in years, unemployment lowest in 17 years, wages raising, border secure, S.C.: No WH chaos!
8:28 AM · Jul 31, 2017

Surejan.gif

pigeon

Banned
The Congress part is what I meant. They should have the same health care as everyone else.

They do. All Congressional employees go through Obamacare for their insurance.

The "Congressional bailout" spin comes from the fact that OPM set up a special system to ensure the government could still pay most of the premium, as is not uncommon for large employers.

Ending this system would effectively be a large pay cut, not just for Congresspeople, but for all Congressional employees. Being a Congressional aide is a difficult job as it is, so slashing their pay drastically would further the exodus of capable people from legislative offices and move more power to think tanks.

Paches

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Highest Stock Market EVER, best economic numbers in years, unemployment lowest in 17 years, wages raising, border secure, S.C.: No WH chaos!
8:28 AM · Jul 31, 2017

Surejan.gif

No one says that unless there is White House chaos, lol.

Wilsongt

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...ympathizes-with-ms-13-lambasts-trump.amp.html

Hot take from Fox News.

They are trying to spin the spin from the MS-13 speech.

Vox got in on the action by releasing a report that twisted Trump's words to appear as if the president believed all illegal immigrants were "subhuman." Trump in his speech highlighted recent killings MS-13 has carried out in an attempt to have the gravity of the situation hit home for the Long Island crowd -- but to Vox it was just "tough talk before an adoring crowd."

Man, I cannot give a big enough fuck you to the GOP for their health care bullshit. Just thinking back on the last seven months on their terrible proposals:

-Destroying Medicaid
-Fucking with employer benefits
-Kicking millions off their plans
-Defunding Planned Parenthood
-Raising Premiums
-Keeping everything a secret
-Their garden party when the House passed it
-Using Skinny Repeal as a way to cram through a ton of more evil crap in an 8 page document. AN 8 PAGE DOCUMENT FOR 1/6 of our economy!

I had so many sleepless nights and I wouldn't have even been as terribly affected as a good chunk of our population.

pigeon

Banned
TIL.

Still, it's crap their salaries are unaffected by the shutdown.

If Congresspeople lost their salaries during a shutdown rich legislators could literally bully poorer ones into signing on to regressive policies during budget crises.

PBY

Banned
#BREAKING: Dem campaign chairman: Dems willing to fund candidates who oppose abortion rights hill.cm/tA0Y3zG

Was this discussed?

What gets me is that if McConnell had just played by the rules he probably could have gotten McCain onboard without much of a fight. The process for this was borne out of pure cowardice. Obama held a town hall with him versus every Congressional Republican and smacked them all down, McConnell wouldn't even tell anyone what they were voting on.

Not to say they won't pass something eventually, they very well still could, but how fucking stupid are they going to look if it's the 2018 midterm elections and they still haven't gotten ACA repeal done? This was like their only actual policy proposal! "Tax reform" and "infrastructure spending" are such vague, nebulous concepts that it's no wonder they have no idea what to do next. Hell part of the reason ACA repeal failed was because they promised there'd be a replacement and in all their seven years of running on this it never occurred to them to come up with a plan everyone could get behind.

What gets me is that if McConnell had just played by the rules he probably could have gotten McCain onboard without much of a fight. The process for this was borne out of pure cowardice. Obama held a town hall with him versus every Congressional Republican and smacked them all down, McConnell wouldn't even tell anyone what they were voting on.

Not to say they won't pass something eventually, they very well still could, but how fucking stupid are they going to look if it's the 2018 midterm elections and they still haven't gotten ACA repeal done? This was like their only actual policy proposal! "Tax reform" and "infrastructure spending" are such vague, nebulous concepts that it's no wonder they have no idea what to do next. Hell part of the reason ACA repeal failed was because they promised there'd be a replacement and in all their seven years of running on this it never occurred to them to come up with a plan everyone could get behind.

They just need 1 more vote. How they get it, who knows. But this is real close to happening, closer than I expected. Really seems like the best hope is to hope the legislative clock is basically run out, we get to 2018 and things shut down/campaign season.

#BREAKING: Dem campaign chairman: Dems willing to fund candidates who oppose abortion rights hill.cm/tA0Y3zG

Was this discussed?

Not yet. I'm predicting a real rough discussion on whether or not "the ends justify the means". I personally think it's a bad idea, particularly since "pro-life" these days is almost exclusively about making abortion and reproductive control harder to obtain rather than actually working on crafting policies that make abortion less necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom