• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
clarification, please:

any ideas why obama voted against the Induced Birth Infant Liability Act? i hadn't heard about this. i am pro-choice, but this seems extreme. is there an explanation?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

besada

Banned
lawblob said:
They didn't give me a sticker at my polling station, they said they weren't allowed to, or some bullshit.

How am I supposed to get my free coffee at Starbucks!? What about MY rights!?

Texas stopped doing it forever ago. My wife and I were sad. I wanted a Krispy Kreme and she wanted the coffee, both of which were just down the road.

Free Donut Suppression!

StoOgE said:
yeah, because if the Dems don't hit 60 tonight (or with a run off in GA) he is going to lose every fucking committee post he has.

Oh god, drill baby drill BS.

Also can someone explain why he'd lose them if the dems don't hit 60 as compared to keeping them if they hit 60?

Nabs

SanjuroTsubaki said:
wat

Dot50Cal

Banned
FIGHT! STAND UP! FIGHT! STAND UP! FIGHT! STAND UP!

Spotless Mind said:
Heh. Poligaf is a great read. I'm pretty excited for you guys. Go Obama!

To answer your question:
Complete return to form. LOVING it. Also, i don't have cable either. *shifty eyes* (season 2 still hasn't aired here yet >_<)
Fantastic! I knew the S2 finale was too good to be a fluke. And I trust you will buy the DVDs in due time. My university monitors, uh, you-know-what, and Hulu isn't putting S3 up until Spring 09. >_<

Danthrax said:
I think he's legally bound to vote in Arizona, so yes. And yes, you canceled out McCain's vote for himself
I will brag about this, oh yes.

Squirrel Killer said:
They responded to the police call, it's not like they were just hanging out by that one precinct all day. Allegedly.

Here's foxnews this morning suggesting that the Clintons are voting for McCain:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/04/fox-news-megyn-kelly-sugg_n_140977.html

Here's foxnews this morning saying a random black guy IS Barack Obama:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/04/fox-friends-host-steve-do_n_140967.html

Here's foxnews this morning saying Obama prolonged voting to get more face-time:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/04/fox-friends-host-gretchen_n_140989.html

ANY report they make has to have a asterisk next to it.

Tamanon

Banned
Socreges said:
clarification, please:

any ideas why obama voted against the Induced Birth Infant Liability Act? i hadn't heard about this. i am pro-choice, but this seems extreme. is there an explanation?

Because of a language issue in it that could've been interpreted to making abortions themselves illegal, that's all.

cilonen

Hahaha, did the music just kick in and cut him off at the end there? Like the sound guys at open mic night going 'yeah, time's up for this guy'.

TDG

Banned
Well, we went to vote, +2 for Obama in Ohio, +2 for Robinson for HoR, +2 Yes on 5, No on 6.

No line whatsoever. I walked right into the booth, my wife waited behind one woman.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Scarborough is creaming over the stump speech McCain just gave when it wasn't even as good as it was yesterday.

Trakdown

Anybody see this video where Joe the Plumber gets heckled by another plumber("Pay your taxes, Joe!" "Get a license, Joe!"), then the plumber gets in a fight with a volunteer? :lol :lol

Barrett2

Mejilan said:
I woke up a bit early today and headed out of my Brooklyn, NY apartment to a nearby public school, before work. As a recently Americanized citizen, this is my first general election. I was quite happy to plunk down my vote and earn the right to bitch incessantly for the next four years, about this election's results.

Woo.

Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

Now to be a true American, you need to whine constantly about high taxes, while simultaneously bitching about the government not spending enough money on schools, roads, bridges, police, fire, hospitals, etc..

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
PhoenixDark said:
Also can someone explain why he'd lose them if the dems don't hit 60 as compared to keeping them if they hit 60?

Well, if the dems are at say 56 seats, we dont need him anymore. We can boot him out of our caucus and take away his Comintern seats that we gave him.

If we are at 60 (and the only way we have a chance at hitting 60 is with Lieberman) we will have to continue to kiss his ass so we stay at 60.

It's sort of the only good thing about not hitting 60, shoving it to Lieberman.

Sharp

Count Dookkake said:
Are we talking about different texts? Perhaps that is the problem. The one I am talking about makes no reference to origin. Is the absence of a letterhead or a signature enough to constitute sounding like it comes from an official source? Does this apply to everything or is it only election related?

Also, requests are commands? Really? That comes as a huge surprise to me. Can I see some support for that one? Thanks.
Literally every request can be replaced with an equivalent command without loss of information, though certainly with loss of nuance. And the whole premise of voter suppression is that people who lack adequate knowledge about the electoral process can be convinced that false information comes from an official source. Especially near election day, many people are afraid they are doing something wrong. Messages like this one are targeted at such potential voters. If even one of them decides not to vote on the basis of this message, they have successfully suppressed some voters. The wording is deliberately ambiguous, but "we" in this context suggests an official group. Again, we can have this argument all day, but ultimately I don't think anyone is really questioning the intent of the message, or whether or not it is deliberately misleading.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tim-E said:
HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OWN

Goin down the only road Ive ever known,
Like a hobo I was born to walk alone
An Ive made up my mind
I aint wasting no more time

ZeroTolerance

ZealousD said:
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
x2339u.jpg

KRS7

That was McCain's closing argument? I can't believe people say Obama lacks substance when all McCain has is empty platitudes and a promise to "know" how to fix every problem.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I actually didn't think the speech was that bad. He seemed more energetic than ever before. If McCain campaigned like that the whole time, and didn't attack Obama's character constantly, he would've had a shot.

Cloudy

Banned
Socreges said:
clarification, please:

IIRC it's because it's already covered by Federal law and since it had no provisions for "health of the mother", he felt it was a backdoor way to attack Roe v. Wade. Look on his website for details

Tarazet

Obama tells people to "go vote."

McCain tells people to "fight." Fight how? By kicking the shit out of a black guy? By sending fraudulent text messages to Obama supporters? By rigging the polls? His use of that word just tells me he's encouraging the kind of filthiness being reported.

Does anybody know what happens to Obama's extra campaign money after the campaign is over tonight? I imagine if he took public financing that any extra would go back into the pool. However, he didn't take the financing and he's guaranteed to have leftovers because he's a fund raising machine. What happens to the left overs? I imagine they don't go back to the donors (logistical nightmare there). Does it just get frozen? If he wins can he unfreeze this money in 2012 for re-election? Does it just all get given to the DNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom