• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
xabre said:
My first post on Obama

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125450&highlight=obama

I always had your best interests at heart America even though you often annoy me.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4663233&postcount=55
PhoenixDark said:
I think people are thinking far too...progressively in this thread. We don't live in a totally progressive society, and a black man isn't going to magically win the election in 2008 because of how well he talks and his charisma. There are millions of people in this country who won't see any of that. All they'll see is a black man, and they won't give a shit that he's half white.

Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen. We need to stop thinking about candidates who have no chance of winning in 08 because of their race (Obama) or sex (Clinton).
:lol

Oh, and the search function only goes back to somewhere around 2005 or 2006. Earlier posts won't show up.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
StoOgE said:
just post it, we can help shoot it down.

Barack Obama Was Model for West Wing's Santos

This story proves that truth is stranger than fiction, because if you made this story up, no one would believe you.

The final season of The West Wing centered around "a young, charismatic candidate from an ethnic minority [Matthew Santos], daring to take on an establishment workhorse with a promise to transcend race and heal America's partisan divide."

Hmmm. Sounds like something I've heard about ... maybe that's why the campaign of Sen. Barack Obama seems like deja vu all over again. But it turns out to be less like a case of life imitating art. It's more like art imitating life. The Guardian reports that one of the show's main writers 'fessed up - the character of Santos was based on a certain young, idealistic newly elected senator from Illinois. Yes, that one.

"I drew inspiration from [Obama] in drawing this character," West Wing writer and producer Eli Attie told the Guardian. "When I had to write, Obama was just appearing on the national scene. He had done a great speech at the convention [which nominated John Kerry] and people were beginning to talk about him."

Attie, who served as chief speechwriter to Al Gore during the ill-fated 2000 campaign and who wrote many of the key Santos episodes of the West Wing, put in a call to Obama aide David Axelrod.

"I said, 'Tell me about this guy Barack Obama.'"

And if you remember, the story line gets even more familiar. The Republican presidential race in the show was between a Christian preacher and a maverick senator from the West whose sometimes liberal positions put him at odds with the party's conservative base.

Almost creepy, isn't it.

Now, of course, Obama must be hoping that life does turn out like art - Matthew Santos is elected president.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2008/02/barack_obama_was_model_for_wes_1.html

So basically Obama was a movie like script written and we didn't know it the whole time. I was wondering why everything that this man did seemed so movie like.

GOT DAMN this candidate is nice as fuck!

xabre said:
My first post on Obama

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125450&highlight=obama

I always had your best interests at heart America even though you often annoy me.

Instigator in 2006 said:
No offense to Barrack Obama, but remove his skin color and he's a rather bland candidate, similar to Kerry or Dukakis. That doesn't mean he doesn't speak sense, but I don't see the charisma, a rather essential quality in a leader.

Barack Obama looks more like a spokesman or a high-level bureaucrat.

teehee

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For the record, I've known of Obama since early 2004 and have been an Obama fan since the 2004 Democratic National Convention as well as watching some interviews that proved he was more than just a speech. Nice to see all of you bandwagoners come aboard, though!

Oh, and since nobody has cared to figure it out yet, part of my tag, "UFO Apathy: Code I," is an anagram of "Audacity of Hope."

Any recommendations on coaxial antennas for my Samsung HLS5686? I just realized I am gonna have to watch election returns somehow and I haven't watched TV in three years ;p

One of the most fucked up things to come from this McCain campaign to me would have to be their efforts to turn the word "eloquence" into some kind of epithet.

Fucking GOP anti-intellectualism.

Fox318

Hitokage said:
For the record, I've known of Obama since early 2004 and have been an Obama fan since the 2004 Democratic National Convention as well as watching some interviews that proved he was more than just a speech. Nice to see all of you bandwagoners come aboard, though!

Oh, and since nobody has cared to figure it out yet, my tag, "UFO Apathy: Code I," is an anagram of "Audacity of Hope"
Yeah WELL I KNEW OBAMA BEFORE YOU!!!

Hitokage said:

Oh, and since nobody has cared to figure it out yet, my tag, "UFO Apathy: Code I," is an anagram of "Audacity of Hope"
Now you just need your old Yotsuya avatar back and you will be PERFECT. Or, at least your avi/tag combo will be!

Fox318

Not A Fur said:
Any recommendations on coaxial antennas for my Samsung HLS5686? I just realized I am gonna have to watch election returns somehow and I haven't watched TV in three years ;p
Online web tv stream?

I'll disclose that I am still very, very bitter about Hillary losing but Barack's a damn smart candidate with WAY better people around him than Hillary chose.

I'll take +1 Obama here in NC in any poll. Going into this election I thought we had a real good chance if the polling average for NC was in the +2 McCain range. It's about +2 Obama or so , so the ground game has a cushion to work with. I still think that even PPP is underestimating total AA turnout as well.

Not A Fur said:
Here ya go.

Get overnight shipping and you should get it on the 4th in the morning.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fox318 said:
It was. I posted it lol.

also

%7b99a6eeee-aa35-4f19-bb7f-68f8d4ee3625%7d.gif

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the 2 races living together on terms of social or political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion that I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position that the Negro should be denied everything.

. . . Notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the Negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence-the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects-certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal, and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man."

-Abraham Lincoln, debating with Douglas in Illinois, 1858

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not voting since Im not changing my Nationality anytime soon (my wife is American though, voting for Obama) However I do encourage everyone who can to go vote, even in states that seem one side, its all important.

As far as who wins, change is good, to have Republicans in power again would mean Republicans in the office for 12 years minimum and thats just waaaay too long for ANY political party to be in power, in my opinion (we've had pretty bad experiences in Spain because of thigns of that nature)

But hey, just do whatever you think its right, thats the point.

mckmas8808

Fragamemnon said:
I'll disclose that I am still very, very bitter about Hillary losing but Barack's a damn smart candidate with WAY better people around him than Hillary chose.

I'll take +1 Obama here in NC in any poll. Going into this election I thought we had a real good chance if the polling average for NC was in the +2 McCain range. It's about +2 Obama or so , so the ground game has a cushion to work with. I still think that even PPP is underestimating total AA turnout as well.

They have it at 22%. And at 17% for the November 4th voting.

ZealousD said:
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the 2 races living together on terms of social or political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion that I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position that the Negro should be denied everything.

. . . Notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the Negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence-the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects-certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal, and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man."

-Abraham Lincoln, debating with Douglas in Illinois, 1858

Republican icon.

Red Scarlet

Fragamemnon said:
NC was always going to come down to the ground game, which is why the GOTV plan was so super-ambitious (and thankfully we have enough volunteers to meet the challenge).

I was really surprised to see what Maddow said about Montana's ground game; I saw people asking us if we were registered to vote while walking to classes, but that was in September. Haven't seen anything else around here since then, which seems like a wasted opportunity (I live in Billings, the most populated town in the state).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
Hey, this'll mark the first election I've payed attention to in my life that has gone my way. :(

[Yes, I'm implying that I wanted Dole to win. Yes, I was young, ignorant, and stupid enough to think he had a chance. Hey, I was mormon and conservative at the time. No, I didn't want Bush to win in 2000, but I wasn't sold on Gore either.]

mj1108

Hitokage said:

Same here! I had woman at work (who is a McCain supporter) try to tell me that I was voting for Obama because of his "celebrity status". She shut up real quick when I told her that I had been a fan since the DNC speech in 2004. :D

_leech_ said:
Republican icon.
To be fair [/tamanon] advocating any rights for blacks at all was pretty radical in 1858. And he was the first prez to advocate any sort of voting rights for AAs, so cut him some slack. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fragamemnon said:

i thought early voting had basically already decided NC? or was that just gaf armchair analysis

My hope is that Obama is kind of lincoln esque in his approach to gay marriage, he came into office with viewpoints that were incremental improvements, not especially brave, but when the chips came down, he did the right thing.

But yea, it's 2:15, and I'm all drugged up on Hopium. I aint getting shit done at work today.

Y2Kev said:
i thought early voting had basically already decided NC? or was that just gaf armchair analysis

Nah, early voting has probably already decided CO and NV, not NC. NC is too big, even with the enormous early vote share this year, to be totally decided by early voting alone. It's an uphill struggle for McCain at this point, though, that's for sure.

GhaleonEB said:
Best part of the PPP NC poll:

Kay Hagan 51
Elizabeth Dole 44

Good riddance.

If Obama wins, Hagen wins, Bachmann loses and Prop. 8 (in California) is defeated, my electon night will be knocked out the park.

electricpirate said:
My hope is that Obama is kind of lincoln esque in his approach to gay marriage, he came into office with viewpoints that were incremental improvements, not especially brave, but when the chips came down, he did the right thing.

But yea, it's 2:15, and I'm all drugged up on Hopium. I aint getting shit done at work today.
Well, at that point, it probably would not have been politically wise for Links to go too far off anyway - remember, he lost that Senate seat, even with lots of concessions, running against the 1860s version of a moderate.

Grant, on the other hand, was awesome through and through in this regard. Too bad his cabinet was horribly corrupt.

mckmas8808

Fragamemnon said:
Nah, early voting has probably already decided CO and NV, not NC. NC is too big, even with the enormous early vote share this year, to be totally decided by early voting alone. It's an uphill struggle for McCain at this point, though, that's for sure.

Yeah the DEMs have a 500,000 lead right now, but all DEMs aren't going to vote for Obama.

:(

Speevy

Banned
If Mccain wins, someone needs to create a Youtube video with a loop of Elizabeth Dole's "There is no God!" followed by "Let's hear it for her. HEH?? EHH??!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom