• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well, I just crumbled and finally set GAF to show 100 posts per page. I blame it solely on PoliGAF.

As an aside, I know GAFfers don't care about post counts, but an interesting thing I just noticed is that I made my 3,000th post last night -- in this thread. I think it was the one where I threw up the Dixville voting results :lol

PotatoeMasher said:
+1 McCain, Mitch McConnell

Sorry Seth C... :(
PotatoeMasher
(Today, 01:01 PM)
Reply | Quote

Well, that explains the 'e'. :lol

dqpotatoheadbutton1.jpg

Cloudy said:
You had a voter registration card, right? There is no ID required in most places..

Hell you don't even need a registration card in CA, just show up and sign in.

+2 Obama, +2 No on 8

1h 20 minute wait in the Los Angeles Arts District.

Clipjoint

Sorry for the large distorted pic guys, I uploaded the wrong one on tinypic. I'm in line now, great weather and everyone is having fun - very friendly atmosphere. Lots of press asking questions too.

Barrett2

Diablos said:
When I voted, no one asked me for ID. I just changed my voting location, too.

Now, obviously, I was still able to vote and I appreciate their speed, but at the same time, anyone could have gone in there saying they were me, signed whatever they wanted, and voted in my place.

But they didn't.

Thats the deal with 'voter fraud' of that type; we always fret about that kind of thing happening, but even the DOJ's own major investigation says that kind of thing almost never happens.

Diablos

lawblob said:
But they didn't.

Thats the deal with 'voter fraud' of that type; we always fret about that kind of thing happening, but even the DOJ's own major investigation says that kind of thing almost never happens.
Oh, I know, but I was waiting for them to ask. It's not hard to ask for photo ID or some other form of identification.

Xisiqomelir

Sharp said:
The Redskins streak was broken in '04 so even if I were superstitious I would be disinclined to cite that as either a reason for or a sign of an Obama victory.

Except that it wasn't because Rove stole the election through his crimes.

Luckily, the Steelers have saved the election!

Voted on Saturday.
Shame my room-mate and all of my co-workers are hardcore Republicans.
Tomorrow is going to be a shitty day no matter who wins. =/

MoxManiac

Quick question. What exactly are exit polls? Are they the polls after the polling closes, or before that? when is the earliest we'll get hard data? (not exit polls)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Flo_Evans said:
I don't care if the exit polls are inaccurate! I wants some DATA

DataTNG.jpg

:lol

Exit polls cost Kerry the election in 2004. We need no exit polls.

MoxManiac said:
Quick question. What exactly are exit polls? Are they the polls after the polling closes, or before that? when is the earliest we'll get hard data? (not exit polls)

Exit polls are just pollsters standing outside the voting area trying to get people to tell them who they voted for. They are known to favor democrats by a significant margin, because democratic voters are more likely to agree to participate for whatever reason.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Voted on Saturday.
Shame my room-mate and all of my co-workers are hardcore Republicans.
Tomorrow is going to be a shitty day no matter who wins. =/
You pizza delivery co-workers are republicans? How much do they make?

Barrett2

MoxManiac said:

Manually grabbing people as they leave polling stations, asking them who they voted for. It provides suspect data for various reasons, but for some reason people still crave them on POTUS election day like a crack fiend.

Marvie_3

Banned
infiniteloop said:
guy on MSNBC talking about the Redskins call.... not in 2004, you fool.
I take full responsibility for my Packers having something to do with things going horribly wrong in '04...

MoxManiac

lawblob said:
Manually grabbing people as they leave polling stations, asking them who they voted for. It provides suspect data for various reasons, but for some reason people still crave them on POTUS election day like a crack fiend.

So are the votes not actually counted right away? Like, the result of actually counting them won't happen tonight?

HylianTom

Banned
_dementia said:
You pizza delivery co-workers are republicans? How much do they make?

Any moment now, Candy Crowley is going to come-on and talk about how important the Dominoes deliveryguy demographic is..

MoxManiac said:
So are the votes not actually counted right away? Like, the result of actually counting them won't happen tonight?

No, votes are counted right away, but they don't report those results until the polls close.

Hardline conservative impeached for having touted a fake degree . . . and also spent too much time war-mongering and not enough time governing.

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's parliament impeached a Cabinet minister on Tuesday after he admitted having a fake degree from Oxford University, in a vote widely seen as a defeat for hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The dismissal of Interior Minister Ali Kordan was the first high-profile confrontation between the new parliament and Ahmadinejad.

It was seen a vote of no-confidence in the president and a sign that the leader's popularity is tumbling, even with his conservative allies.

The interior minister in Iran is a powerful position in charge of holding elections and local administrations throughout the country.

During Kordan's confirmation debate, numerous lawmakers argued he was unqualified, some claiming that his Oxford degree was a fake. Kordan was approved Aug. 5 by a relatively slim margin of around 160 of the 269 lawmakers present, a reflection of the concerns.

Kordan initially argued that his degree was real. The Interior Ministry put out a certificate, with an Oxford seal and dated June 2000, meant to prove its authenticity. It was riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes.

Oxford denied it had ever awarded an honorary doctorate of law to the minister, who then admitted the degree was fake.

Ahmadinejad defended Kordan, dismissing degrees in general as "torn paper" not necessary for serving the people.

The president was already under attack from both reformers and conservatives, who brought him to power but now complain he spends too much time on fiery anti-U.S. rhetoric rather than managing the country.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081104/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran_fake_degree

Things are the same all over.

Evlar

Banned
MoxManiac said:
You mean the actual votes? The majority will be counted tonight. In some parts of some states the count will be available almost the instant polls close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom