• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc2

Voters can eat well around town today - and even get some free naughty toys.

* Coffee: Starbucks is giving out free small coffees to anyone who says they voted.
* Ice Cream: Ben and Jerry's will give you a free scoop between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
* Donuts: Krispy Kreme will give you a red-white-and-blue-sprinkled star shaped donut if you are wearing an "I voted" sticker.
* Cheesecake: In Chicago, Eli's Cheesecake Company is handing out free slices to voters. But even if you don't live in the Windy City you can get a free 6-inch Original Pain Cheesecake with the purchase of a 9-inch cheesecake at their website - www.elicheesecake.com. Use promo code VOTE8.
* Tunes: Rock the Vote will give you eight free MP3s to download if you pledge to vote at www.rockthevote.com/pledge.
* Duds: Trina Turk boutiques in the Meatpacking District or Hell's Kitchen will give you a 20% discount on up to three items if you have an "I Voted." www.trinaturk.com/
* More clothes: French Connection will give you 15% off purchases today.
* Chicken: Chick-fil-A restaurants in New Jersey will give you a free chicken sandwich.
* Tacos: California Taco is giving out free tacos, though sadly there are no outlets in New York.
* Sex toys: Babeland locations in SoHo, the Lower East Side and Carroll Gardens will give men a free $20 "Maverick" (get it?) penis sleeve. Women get a free $15 silver bullet mini-vibrator.

One way to pass the time waiting on results.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/11/04/2008-11-04_free_coffee_donuts_and_sex_toys_just_the.html

Barrett2

MoxManiac said:
So are the votes not actually counted right away? Like, the result of actually counting them won't happen tonight?

Most votes are counted today, when the polls close the polling locations send their ballots to a local office that totals the results, then all the results get submitted to a state office that reports the data. Thats why throughout the evening the news will say "50% of polling stations reporting data, showing Obama up by 3%....etc." It takes a few hours to gather all the districts results, since it takes a few hours to count the ballots.

I believe that in some instances things like provisional ballots and absentee ballots aren't literally counted unless the election is close, but im' not sure about that.

echoshifting said:
Exit polls are just pollsters standing outside the voting area trying to get people to tell them who they voted for. They are known to favor democrats by a significant margin, because democratic voters are more likely to agree to participate for whatever reason.

Because they aren't ashamed.

MoxManiac

Okay. Thanks guys! I've followed elections before, but I didn't really follow them closely on election day before due to cyncism (i knew bush would win :( )

Speevy said:
John Kerry cost Kerry the election in 2004. Exit polls just made the idiots on TV excited.

tonysnow.jpg

_dementia said:
You pizza delivery co-workers are republicans? How much do they make?

Shit I need to update my info.
I work for a contracting company now.

To put it this way my boss is quite well off and his father is a billionaire. A couple other people working there are also millionaires.

Must be nice I guess.

ZeroTolerance

matthewhadick said:
did they pay you to say this? sounds like it. you're lucky that map is pretty cool, mister.

I had no idea but am impressed as hell. I like how they have all the major networks there and shit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Speevy said:
John Kerry cost Kerry the election in 2004. Exit polls just made the idiots on TV excited.

I knew about 50 people at college that year that, when the first exit polling came out at about 4 pm, said "screw it, we don't need to vote--Kerry's got this won!" and started to party.

Plinko said:
I knew about 50 people at college that year that, when the first exit polling came out at about 4 pm, said "screw it, we don't need to vote--Kerry's got this won!" and started to party.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

WaltJay

Fenderputty said:
Thanks ... I was actually hoping for some sort of a small re-cap. I can't get youtube at work.

Just say yes or no to Joe looking like a fool. :lol

Rick Sanchez is getting in that ass!

I wanted to get some of these to give to friends and coworkers who voted for McCain tomorrow:

ok0ig8.jpg

But the democratic headquarters sold out of all their buttons other than a single "Hillary supporter for Obama" and several "I voted for Obama"s.

So awesome.

Barrett2

Plinko said:

That honestly makes me sick to my stomach... Jesus...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, uh, I'm watching this clip and I don't know. I mean, I'm probably the last one to agree with Joe on anything, but I'm not seeing what Sanchez is trying to say? What's his point? Joe says he doesn't think people earning over 250k a year should be taxed more than someone earning less than that. And then it seems like Sanchez is trying to turn into something like "aha, you want the people who earn less to pay more?!", and I don't see where that comes from at all. Someone care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom