• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brobzoid said:
I agree. The reporter man was reaching or didn't pay attention to what mr. plumber was saying. In my opinion they both came out looking like silly nillies.

Sanchez missed an opportunity to point out that Joe the Plumber did indeed ride on the backs of others when he was on WELFARE, as were his parents...TWICE. It wasn't fair for other tax payers who had to work harder to have to pay for him, a white man who had no language or cultural barriers to succeed in this country.

Note: Mom and dad escaped from vietnam, lived in Malaysia for a year, was sponsored to come over. Father worked two jobs as a janitor for local elementary schools while going to community college part time. My mother babysat kids, we lived in a two bedroom apartment with five other vietnamese immigrants. We are now successful, both kids went to college. Joe is lazy. Just saying.

7.6 national average polling for Obama over at RCP. It would seem impossible for McCain to win, even with the margin of error. For the record, RCP were off by half a percent in 2004's election.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Brobzoid said:
I agree. The reporter man was reaching or didn't pay attention to what mr. plumber was saying. In my opinion they both came out looking like silly nillies.
Joe wants everyone to pay the same (total, not %). Reporter draws the logical conclusion that poor people would have to pay more (than they pay now) and richer people will have to pay less (than they pay now).

Barrett2

matthewhadick said:
evil mormons trying to abolish gay marriage in california.

in a nutshell.

Which is ironic considering that Mormons used to argue they were being unfairly persecuted by the government for their belief that Mormon men should be allowed to have polygamous marriage with 14 year old girls.

Joseph Smith's first polygamous 'wife' was a 15 year old foster child that he started having sex with....

Tobor

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm not getting this at all. Walk me through this.

Joe says that rich people shouldn't pay more than people with less money -- I assumed on a tax percentage basis? I.e., everybody has got to pay the same percent of their income in taxes? That's not what he's saying?

Joe doesn't seem to understand that rich people paid more until Bush came along. Returning the rates to the way they used to be is not an increase. It's a correction.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
speculawyer said:
The thought of a black guy being the 'commander in chief' of the racists in the military would be so satisfying. :lol

Oh come on, "racists in the military"? That's pretty ignorant don't you think?

I AM BEGGING ALL MY NEW FRIENDS HERE AT HOTAIR, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE EALRY EXIT POLLS!!! THE ARE LYING TO DEFLATE OUR RECORD BREAKING TURNOUT!!! REPUBLICANS, PUMAS’s, REAGAN DEMOCRATES, INDEPENDANTS, ALL REAL AMERICANS ARE TURNING OUT IN RECORD NUMBERS!!! HUGE TURNOUTS HISTORICALY FAVOR REPUBLICANS!!! KEEP THE FAITH, GOD IS MOVING THRU AMERICA THIS NIGHT!!! KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH AND YOUR SPRIRTS BRIMMING, WE ARE WINNING!!! HUGE TURNOUTS IN TYPICAL REPUBLICAN STRONG HOLDS THROUGHTOUT OUR GREAT NATION!!! AMERICAN IS BEING HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR, REAL AMERICANS ARE SAYING NO TO SOCILISAM, NO TO RADICALS, NO TO HIGHER TAXES, NO TO LEFTISTS ON OUR COURTS, NO TO DEFEAT IN IRAQ!!!

AND AMERICA IS SAYING YES TO JOHN McCAIN!!!

GOD BLESS US ALL… NOW GET OUT AND VOTE!!!

IGNORE THE EXIT POLLS! WAIT FOR THE ENTIRE COUNT AND FACTS!

RUSH AND HANNITY FEEL GOOD ABOUT OUR CHANCES IF WE ALL GO VOTE!!! LET’S MAKE HISTORY!!! McCAIN at the wire…

Evlar

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm not getting this at all. Walk me through this.

Joe says that rich people shouldn't pay more than people with less money -- I assumed on a tax percentage basis? I.e., everybody has got to pay the same percent of their income in taxes? That's not what he's saying?
That's apparently what he's saying. If you do that... where does the government get back all the extra money the government is no longer collecting from the top brackets? Borrow more from China?

Tarazet

matthewhadick said:
we're pretty much right smack-dab in the middle of SF and Sacramento, both geographically and ideologically. we've got out fair share of religious conservatives, but quite a few old retired liberals. jack london used to hang out here for christ's sake.

Jack London loved him some East Bay. I live in South San Francisco, which is equal parts Asian immigrants and really strange, ugly white people.

Socreges

Banned
just remembered this conversation i had earlier with this american chick at work:

her: "i don't really care that obama's a muslim..."
me: "what? no he's not.."
her: "....he was."
me: "...what?"
her: "yeah, he used to be a muslim"
me: "......first off, that shouldn't matter. secondly, no, that's not true."
her: "but it is *blank stare*.... let me find it.....*turns to computer, never finds it*"
me: "...."

so is this the kind of shit you guys put up with?

Dedalus said:
Congrats to all who have voted. I hope you get it right this time! :D
ogmccz.gif

typhonsentra said:
I AM BEGGING ALL MY NEW FRIENDS HERE AT HOTAIR, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE EALRY EXIT POLLS!!! THE ARE LYING TO DEFLATE OUR RECORD BREAKING TURNOUT!!! REPUBLICANS, PUMAS’s, REAGAN DEMOCRATES, INDEPENDANTS, ALL REAL AMERICANS ARE TURNING OUT IN RECORD NUMBERS!!! HUGE TURNOUTS HISTORICALY FAVOR REPUBLICANS!!! KEEP THE FAITH, GOD IS MOVING THRU AMERICA THIS NIGHT!!! KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH AND YOUR SPRIRTS BRIMMING, WE ARE WINNING!!! HUGE TURNOUTS IN TYPICAL REPUBLICAN STRONG HOLDS THROUGHTOUT OUR GREAT NATION!!! AMERICAN IS BEING HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR, REAL AMERICANS ARE SAYING NO TO SOCILISAM, NO TO RADICALS, NO TO HIGHER TAXES, NO TO LEFTISTS ON OUR COURTS, NO TO DEFEAT IN IRAQ!!!

AND AMERICA IS SAYING YES TO JOHN McCAIN!!!

GOD BLESS US ALL… NOW GET OUT AND VOTE!!!

IGNORE THE EXIT POLLS! WAIT FOR THE ENTIRE COUNT AND FACTS!

RUSH AND HANNITY FEEL GOOD ABOUT OUR CHANCES IF WE ALL GO VOTE!!! LET’S MAKE HISTORY!!! McCAIN at the wire…

jicav5.jpg

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Tobor said:
Joe doesn't seem to understand that rich people paid more until Bush came along. Returning the rates to the way they used to be is not an increase. It's a correction.

Alright, but what I want to know is if Joe's saying that people should pay the same amount of tax on a percentage basis or not? :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Btw, watching the Joe interview:

The flat tax bit shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how taxes work and who are effected the most by them.

Remind these people that:
1. When you get to a certain threshold of income (like 250k), the entire amount is not taxed at the higher rate, only the amount over that threshold.

2. The more money that one makes, the less local sales taxes will effect him or her. Sales tax unduly punishes those with the least. The graduated tax brackets help offset this punishment.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Jason's Ultimatum said:
BREAKING NEWS: CNN ABOUT TO REVEAL THE FIRST OF MANY EXIT POLLS!

Like everyone said, ignore them!
I have my cock soundly out and ready to beat it...either violently or sexily.

Socreges said:
just remembered this conversation i had earlier with this american chick at work:

her: "but it is *blank stare*.... let me find it.....*turns to computer, never finds it*"

confused.bmp

Tobor

ItsInMyVeins said:
Alright, but what I want to know is if Joe's saying that people should pay the same amount of tax on a percentage basis or not? :)

First of all, Joe's a moron. He doesn't know what he's saying. The McCain campaign gave him a list of talking points, and was expecting Sanchez to blow him for three minutes like everyone else.

KRS7

Interesting tidbit about Guam's presidential vote:

From GuamPDN

Guam gets no Electoral Votes. But, unlike the results from Dixville Notch and Hart's Location, New Hampshire, Guam has been a reliable predictor of the outcome of the presidential election:

* Before President Reagan crushed Walter Mondale in 1984, he won by a landslide in Guam.

* George Bush won in 1988

* In 1992, Guam's straw poll said President George H. W. Bush only deserved one term.

* In 1996 Guam re-elected President Clinton by a wider margin than the states.

* In Guam, George W. Bush barely snuck past Al Gore in 2000.

* W beat John Kerry with ease in 2004.

Again Obama won a landslide in Guam with 62.7% of the vote.

Time for some tropical Hopium.

djtiesto said:
Oh come on, "racists in the military"? That's pretty ignorant don't you think?
You don't think there are any racists in the military? I'm not saying the military in general is racist . . . it is not . . . in fact it is one of the better integrated workforces in this country. But there are some racists in the military.

Socreges said:

Just happened to me today at work.

Says he switched to Christian right before he started running for president.

And this is a grown ass man in is 50s telling me this. Not some kid like most of us.

hc2

Pimpwerx said:
Got a ticket from a black cop an hour ago. No sense of history. Didn't matter I had my "I voted today!" sticker on either. Motherfucker. PEACE.

Just sharing the wealth. Thank you for your contribution. :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
My 52 year-old dad just told me he voted for the first time, because he saw how involved I was.

(He voted Obama, btw.)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
speculawyer said:
You don't think there are any racists in the military? I'm not saying the military in general is racist . . . it is not . . . in fact it is one of the better integrated workforces in this country. But there are some racists in the military.

Of course there are, there are racists all over the place. But the way you made your statement made it seem like all of the soldiers are racist hicks. Perhaps I just misinterpreted what you said.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
norinrad21 said:
May i join you? :lol :lol :lol
We can play swords.

In a little over 7 hours, we should know who has won.

I saw the goddamn "FRS better than Red Bull" as with the two vote counters and got freaked cause I thought some polls had closed. I hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom