• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Slaylock said:
As a lifelong conservative, I'm not too thrilled with McCain, but I certainly wasn't going to vote for Obama. But based on the polls, and the high excitement level for Obama, it certainly looks like I will be in the minority.

Am I the only Republican in this thread?

There are a few others, but they are mostly crazy. Your people need better representation in PoliGAF. You should step up to the plate to better represent the ideology.

TDG

Banned
I'm here, Dax.
Case said:
whats wrong with exit polls again?
They're unreliable, they pointed to a huge Kerry victory in 2004, Nate from five-thirty-eight said to ignore them, etc.

GhaleonEB

Fatalah said:
GET BUCHANAN OFF!
Seriously. He's fucking insane.

People are voting against the GOP, not for Obama. Because Obama doesn't stand for any ideas.

Fuck that crazy old man.

Okay, I've muted him.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'll say it again: Celebrate 4 years from now when things have actually gotten accomplished, anything before that is premature.

Tobor

Dax01 said:
GhaleonEB
Benjamin Birdie
HylianTom
Stoney Mason
Hootie
Me
lawblob
Tamanon
Fragememnon
Deus Ex Machinima
SpeedingUptoStop
RubxQub
Amir0x
Hitokage
TDG
Freedom = $1.50
Kaboom
Jason's Ultimatum
Tobor
Maximum360
Tim-E
Diablos
PD
Xisiq
Loudninja

Hope you're all here!

Where else would I be? Let's bring this baby home!!!!

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
PoliGAF WHAT WHAT!

Dax01 said:
GhaleonEB
Benjamin Birdie
HylianTom
Stoney Mason
Hootie
Me
lawblob
Tamanon
Fragememnon
Deus Ex Machinima
SpeedingUptoStop
RubxQub
Amir0x
Hitokage
TDG
Freedom = $1.50
Kaboom
Jason's Ultimatum
Tobor
Maximum360
Tim-E
Diablos
PD
Xisiq
Loudninja

Hope you're all here!

Ban list

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
elostyle said:
Joe wants everyone to pay the same (total, not %). Reporter draws the logical conclusion that poor people would have to pay more (than they pay now) and richer people will have to pay less (than they pay now).

not only that, but he also pointed out that neither mccain nor obama support a flat tax.. so why does he support mccain? makes no sense.

Slaylock said:
Sorry, I read several pages and didn't see one +1 McCain.
Nah, that was kind of dickish of me. I just can't stand folks with inferiority complexes. :lol

For the record, I think BakedPigeon, KingGondo, TomServo, and a few other folks in this thread voted for McCain, so you aren't completely alone. :D

map1024bz2.gif

6 P.M.? Are you fucking kidding me Indiana? Four hour long lines? Vote flipping touchscreen voting machines?

Bullshit. All of it.

Polls should be open from at least 7am to 8pm. 6am to 9pm would be better. Election day shouldn't be a holiday because people won't use the day off for voting and voting should only take a few minutes. But considering that people have lives to lead, closing the polls just an hour after most people get off work is a burden.

And once they get to the more accessible polling locations, there shouldn't be a huge wait. Making the actual voting mechanism the gatekeeper is a recipe for long lines. Using electronic voting machines mean that there can only be a certain number of people voting at one time, whereas with paper ballots, the number voting is limited only by the amount of flat surfaces you can find.

AniHawk

Also, anecodotal, but people in class were asking each other if they voted, and who/what they voted for. Out of the conversations I eavesdropped, it was all Obama and all No on 8.

HylianTom

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
I'll say it again: Celebrate 4 years from now when things have actually gotten accomplished, anything before that is premature.

I can celebrate a bit right now because I know that we'll get some good judges out of this. Obama will be gone in 4 or 8 years; his court appointees will still be on the bench when I'm an old man.

Indigo

lawblob said:
Yeah, that the dilemma, and the reason my plan will never become a reality. :lol

Its funny, whenever I quote statistics about the size of the DOD budget, people always think I am joking. The average American really has no idea how much money is spent on 'defense.' It really is, IMO, one of the biggest crimes perpetrated against the American people over the last 50 years.

Granted, defense spending does promote technological development, jobs, national security posturing, etc... all that is well and good, but the sheer bloated nature of the DOD is something most people don't know. We literally spend $10 billion dollars developing a new tank that we actually know has no chance of ever working, but the shit still gets developed... all while Congress openly quibbles about spending an extra $1 billion on medicine for poor kids. It is criminal...

Imho, a lot of that money is lost down the crapper due to fraud, waste, and abuse. If the military could learn to spend it's money smarter, they could make do with a lot less, without loss of combat readiness.

Voted for Bro-bama.
Are there any bros out there that want to chill and play GameCube?
...I take my pants off to play GameCube so I hope that's cool.

Zeliard

Just got back from casting an Obama vote. I didn't go earlier because I've been busy, but I'm so glad I went when I did. I arrived at the school (where the polls were held) at about 4:30 so I could miss the influx of post-work voters, and left at about 4:35. Literally, there was no line whatsoever. Such a quick and painless process. Some of my friends went early this morning to the same place and ended up waiting over an hour.

Also snagged my free Starbucks coffee. I don't think you even have to vote to get one, or even mention "vote". The woman in line in front of me simply said "free coffee please".

Just voted in SF.

Beautiful sunny day after a week of rain and clouds. Cheerful, pumped people at the voting station. 10 minutes in all to cast my vote for Obama and a No on Prop 8. Everybody there was so cheery and emotional its like somebody pumped Hopium gas into the room.

Huzzah!

Voters get free ice cream at Ben & Jerry's.

I love this town :)

Palin can kiss my ass

+5 McCain.

My parents and all of my grandparents voted for him, except for my paternal grandpa, who abstained from voting and last week told me, "We don't need an inexperienced jive-ass [African-American] in the White House, but I'll be goddamned if I let that McCain windbag imbecile come within a mile of being President."

Xisiqomelir

Dax01 said:
GhaleonEB
Benjamin Birdie
HylianTom
Stoney Mason
Hootie
Me
lawblob
Tamanon
Fragememnon
Deus Ex Machinima
SpeedingUptoStop
RubxQub
Amir0x
Hitokage
TDG
Freedom = $1.50
Kaboom
Jason's Ultimatum
Tobor
Maximum360
Tim-E
Diablos
PD
Xisiq
Loudninja

Hope you're all here!

I'm leaving work early to pick up Valkyria and then head over to my Rep buddy's house to watch results come in and drink his bitter tears, so I probably won't post in this thread after 6 EST, but rest assured that Obamabet.jpg will be updated for tomorrow :D

Dax01 said:
GhaleonEB
Benjamin Birdie
HylianTom
Stoney Mason
Hootie
Me
lawblob
Tamanon
Fragememnon
Deus Ex Machinima
SpeedingUptoStop
RubxQub
Amir0x
Hitokage
TDG
Freedom = $1.50
Kaboom
Jason's Ultimatum
Tobor
Maximum360
Tim-E
Diablos
PD
Xisiq
Loudninja

Hope you're all here!

kkaabboomm's in the house....until 7pm eastern.

man of all the nights to go out and celebrate, i had to chose an actual election night party, giving up my laptop connection and everything else until 11pm.

Barrett2

Dax01 said:
GhaleonEB
Benjamin Birdie
HylianTom
Stoney Mason
Hootie
Me
lawblob
Tamanon
Fragememnon
Deus Ex Machinima