• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Tamanon said:
He was basing it off conversations with GOP folks there lamenting how awful McCain's GOTV effort was. Basically making the point that Bush won early voting by a great deal, banking votes early.
That's what I'm seeing here. (I live in his former congressional district).

MaddenNFL64

I think he'll win PA easy guys, just... continue to be skeptical of exit polling. The reasons have been cited in this thread. Not all polling areas surveyed, polling area bias, party id bias.

Just be skeptical.

Still be hopeful though :D.

Yixian

Banned
Judging by the polls etc. I cannot imagine Obama not winning.

If that turns out to be the case, basically I have to say thank you to those of you who voted for him. There's no denying he's generally more egalitarian and progressive than McCain, and therefore given the influence the job holds probably generally better for the well-being of people around the world.

That said, let's not get carried away. The difference between McCain and Obama, Republican and Democrat, is small potatoes - tiny tiny tiny potatoes - in comparison to the greater world picture. The American Empire is probably approaching the twilight of it's position on top and will soon have to step aside for it's successor. That that will be China I don't think we can say, whatever inevitable destabilising event that unseats the US from the top spot is going to shake things up enough to allow anyone from the Russians to the EU to replace them and it depends on a huge number of factors.

So yeah, just think, whoever is elected tonight is probably going to be in the last 5 or so presidents before the world moves on.

I don't think the current credit crunch is the next great depression or anything, but you can just feel that the winds of change are drawing close, in a way you couldn't 5 or 10 years ago.

Anyway "liberals" I hope you enjoy a victory tomorrow morning :) A few hundredths of a degree left on the political spectrum is nevertheless an improvement!

And if it's McCain... *sigh*

Tamanon

Banned
From 538, early voting number perspective for the battleground states.

CO: 1,704,280; 79.3% of 2004
FL: 4,377,774; 57.3% of 2004
GA: 2,020,829; 60.9% of 2004
IA: 481,179; 31.6% of 2004
IN: 668,868; 26.6% of 2004
MT: 184,632; 40.5% of 2004
NM: 192,229; 73.2% of 2004
NC: 2,623,838; 73.9% of 2004
NV: 561,776; 67.6% of 2004
ND: 76,496; 24.2% of 2004
OH: 1,456,364; 25.2% of 2004
VA: 465,962; 14.5% of 2004
WV: 166,353; 21.6% of 2004

Those percentages are of the entire vote total in 2004. Look at how silly the turnout is.

JCreasy

i can't even look at a news site right now.

i'm sitting at my desk at work but emotionally i'm in a fetal position

my eyes are glued to gaf . . .

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys remember, the polls may close in 4 minutes, but they dont close across the state in either case. There are patches that close later. So no call yet.

HylianTom

Banned
Enjoy the next few hours, fellow PoliGAFers.. Democrats don't win the presidency very often. Especially by the margins we may be seeing tonight. :D :D :D

DON'T DO IT EXIT POLLS ARE DIRTY LIES

Let's talk about something else, like voter turnout. It really sounds from the figures people are throwing around like we're going to beat 1968 here. CNN has Virginia's turnout pegged at 90% :lol which would pretty much guarantee that young people are turning out.

StoOgE said:
Guys remember, the polls may close in 4 minutes, but they dont close across the state in either case. There are patches that close later. So no call yet.

my earlier point exactly - we might get some hard vote tabulations from precincts that are closed, but since the entire state (IN and KY) arent closed until 7, no network calls until then minimum

So.

Has it occurred to anyone how much history we've witnessed in our lives?

I mean, an Obama election, the Wall Street crash, 9/11, this is the shit we'll be telling our grandkids about.

Marvie_3

Banned
StoOgE said:
It's a start. We should be able to get some look into what's really going on at the polls....

GhaleonEB

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How long until we start seeing Indiana's numbers when the polls close?
map1024bz2.gif

Also, why is the OP hosted on Imageshack? :lol

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
grandjedi6 said:
So wait, which gif is banned now?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif
Shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.gif
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.gif

Yixian said:
Judging by the polls etc. I cannot imagine Obama not winning.

If that turns out to be the case, basically I have to say thank you to those of you who voted for him. There's no denying he's generally more egalitarian and progressive than McCain, and therefore given the influence the job holds probably generally better for the well-being of people around the world.

That said, let's not get carried away. The difference between McCain and Obama, Republican and Democrat, is small potatoes - tiny tiny tiny potatoes - in comparison to the greater world picture. The American Empire is probably approaching the twilight of it's position on top and will soon have to step aside for it's successor. That that will be China I don't think we can say, whatever inevitable destabilising event that unseats the US from the top spot is going to shake things up enough to allow anyone from the Russians to the EU to replace them and it depends on a huge number of factors.

So yeah, just think, whoever is elected tonight is probably going to be in the last 5 or so presidents before the world moves on.

I don't think the current credit crunch is the next great depression or anything, but you can just feel that the winds of change are drawing close, in a way you couldn't 5 or 10 years ago.

Anyway "liberals" I hope you enjoy a victory tomorrow morning :) A few hundredths of a degree left on the political spectrum is nevertheless an improvement!

And if it's McCain... *sigh*

2ii8v3k.png

Tobor

HylianTom said:
Enjoy the next few hours, fellow PoliGAFers.. Democrats don't win the presidency very often. Especially by the margins we may be seeing tonight. :D :D :D

This could be a Reagan style realignment. In which case, make yourself comfortable and put your feet on the furniture.

Anyone thinks that Obama is going to win Indiana? I'll keep my hopium high, but MSNBC was saying that even if McCain wins the state by a small margin, it still doesn't bold well for McCain.

HylianTom

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So.

Has it occurred to anyone how much history we've witnessed in our lives?

I mean, an Obama election, the Wall Street crash, 9/11, this is the shit we'll be telling our grandkids about.

november-4-2008.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
kkaabboomm said:
my earlier point exactly - we might get some hard vote tabulations from precincts that are closed, but since the entire state (IN and KY) arent closed until 7, no network calls until then minimum

Right, and in IN's case, Obamas stronghold doesnt close till 7

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, what's the score at this point, guys? Sorry, haven't been following much of this.

JCreasy

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Anyone thinks that Obama is going to win Indiana? I'll keep my hopium high, but MSNBC was saying that even if McCain wins the state by a small margin, it still doesn't bold well for McCain.

more talk like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom