• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Franken wins = I cry.

Pretty simple.

Coleman has no business being in the senate, representing Minnesota.

Franken is a good man; I'd love to see him serve MN for a few decades.

(edit: CNN just described the McCain camp as "stoic." They'd be crying if the cameras weren't on them.. hehe..)

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
harSon said:
Hopefully Democrats stick with the long lines and don't get lazy and leave.
I'd say long lines favor Democrats. We're excited to vote, old people need to be tucked into bed by 7PM.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Didn't the exit polls have Kerry winning PA by 16 in 2004? He only ended up winning by 3.

ghibli99

Gary Whitta said:
Lloyd-Bridges-3.gif
Damn right. :D

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Regan '84

bam, WRONG

Reagan 84 - 525-13 == 512EV margin

Roosevelt 36 - 523-8 == 515EV margin -- largest TOTAL EV margin

Monroe 1820 - 231-1 == 230EV margin -- won all but 1 EV

Washington 1789 - 69-0 == won every single EV out there

Reagan 84 is the largest in the 538 EV model.

greepoman

SoulPlaya said:
Washington is the only candidate to officially win every single state. Nixon also unofficially won every single state but they gave the other guy one state because they wanted that distinction to be reserved for Washington.

In terms of percentage, ya Washington is #1 followed by James Monroe (231-1) and then Reagan.

VPhys

CNN just reported that areas of Virgina that have had allot of new registrations are reporting waiting lines of 4 to 7 hours. W T F.

Sharp said:
Isn't the part of Indiana that we're about to see results from the rural part that will go heavily McCain?
1) Official results from even that part of IN probably won't start showing up until the rest of the state's polls close.
2) Even once all the polls have closed, it still will probably take some time to tabulate the results.

I just gave my students an in class assignment so that I could sneak on here and check for some info/results.

It was the ONLY reason I gave them the assignment too.

besada

Banned
Souldriver said:
I know i know, no sympathy for someone running for president.

Yet, all political bullshit aside, the guy must have a really fucking hard 3 days right now. I wonder what he eats/drinks/does during his flights to keep him focused.

He says that shooting hoops relaxes him, which is why I wasn't surprised to see him doing it today.

HylianTom said:
Franken wins = I cry.

Pretty simple.

Coleman has no business being in the senate, representing Minnesota.

Franken is a good man; I'd love to see him serve MN for a few decades.
I want Franken to win simply because he promised in his book that he'd work to make Election Day a national holiday.

Stillmatic

I feel a bit guilty that i've been following PoliGAF religiously since the first debate, and haven't made a single post until now. XD

Anyway i'd like to thank all the regulars for keeping all the info updated as i live in New Zealand and coverage isn't that great, and thanks for all the laughs, it's been an entertaining ride. :lol

Follow through.

Obama, win this shit!

Fjolle

Cooter said:
What are they saying in Denmark? I'm curious.
Before they talked about when the polls will close and when we should get a good indicator of the result.

Now they are talking about how danish movies have been affected by american politics and a director (peter aalbæk) complains that he cant show that much nudity in movies now :lol

Xabora

VPhys said:
CNN just reported that areas of Virgina that have had allot of new registrations are reporting waiting lines of 4 to 7 hours. W T F.
Virgina normally doesn't have a large voting population.

cilonen

Shard said:
What is the mood like on the international broadcasts?

The BBC have an odd 'must be fair at all costs' policy which makes their coverage of events like this quite hard to follow - it's like an inverse Fox, where they'll have dissenting opinions and pundits given equal airtime no matter how marginal their view. In this regard they've been kinder than I thought they would be to the McCain campaign and over the last couple of days have been going along with the general media feeding frenzy of 'the race is tightening! listen to us! we are important!'. At the moment they've just finished an explanation of the electoral map and when the polls close and have gone into a retrospective of the Bush years with a big negative Bush / world view of America spin.

Sky are like a mini Fox (Murdoch owned), but they aren't allowed to be as blatant with their bias due to UK broadcasting standards. They're playing the 'race is closing, polls are unreliable, it's almost a dead heat, we'll have to wait and see' angle.

All the holograms and touch screens used on the news channels look so tacky. Look over substance seems to be the motto.

Just look at the lady going back and forth through the holographic room. It looks ridiculous.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
harSon said:
What the fuck is with this Blackberry commercial on CNN :lol
FAST!

SAVEDBYZERO! SAVEDBYZERO! SAVEDBYZERO! SAVEDBYZERO!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SoulPlaya said:
Washington is the only candidate to officially win every single state. Nixon also unofficially won every single state but they gave the other guy one state because they wanted that distinction to be reserved for Washington.
That's not true. You're thinking of James Monroe

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
HylianTom said:

do you have a wallpaper size version of this?

by the way. why does cnn.com say the polls close an hour later than that image people are throwing around? for instance, they have indiana closing aat 7pm, not 6pm .. ?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Souldriver said:
All the holograms and touch screens used on the news channels look so tacky. Look over substance seems to be the motto.

Just look at the lady going back and forth through the holographic room. It looks ridiculous.
it's the pinnacle of this election cycle

JavyOO7

I think everybody agrees that same day registration should be made available.

When I did early voting 2 weeks ago it took me 2 hours.

My sister did it this past Sunday and she was in line at JFK library in Miami for 7 hours. =/

HylianTom

Banned
Stillmatic said:
I feel a bit guilty that i've been following PoliGAF religiously since the first debate, and haven't made a single post until now. XD

Anyway i'd like to thank all the regulars for keeping all the info updated as i live in New Zealand and coverage isn't that great, and thanks for all the laughs, it's been an entertaining ride. :lol

Follow through.

Obama, win this shit!

This election has been 10x more entertaining for me because of PoliGAF. I echo your thanks to everyone here.

TDG

Banned
So at 7, Kentucky and Indiana will be completely closed, Vermont, Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia will close, and Florida except for the pan-handle will close.

SO, here's what should happen:
1. We won't hear much from Florida until 8, when the rest of the state closes.
2. Virginia, Georgia, and Indiana should be called "too close to call" or "too early to call."
3. Vermont will be called for Obama.
4. Kentucky and South Carolina will be called for McCain.

SO the electoral count at that point should be 16-3 McCain.

GhaleonEB

quadriplegicjon said:

by the way. why does cnn.com say the polls close an hour later than that image people are throwing around? for instance, they have indiana closing aat 7pm, not 6pm .. ?
Western Indiana closes at 7:00, the rest of the state at 6.

I don't know if anyone (or everyone) has seen it, but I wanted to quote part of this article I really liked from an Obama volunteer, which I got on the Christian Science Monitor of all places.

I learned in just those three hours that this election is not about what we think of as the "big things."

It's not about taxes. I'm pretty sure mine are going to go up no matter who is elected.

It's not about foreign policy. I think we'll figure out a way to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan no matter which party controls the White House, mostly because the people who live there don't want us there anymore.

I don't see either of the candidates as having all the answers.

I've learned that this election is about the heart of America. It's about the young people who are losing hope and the old people who have been forgotten. It's about those who have worked all their lives and never fully realized the promise of America, but see that promise for their grandchildren in Barack Obama. The poor see a chance, when they often have few. I saw hope in the eyes and faces in those doorways.

Tamanon

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:

Most of Indiana closes at 6, not all of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom