• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
lawblob said:
I hope Joe has already signed the contracts on any deals he was working on, because yeah, in about a week nobody will give a flying fuck what this guy has to say. I hope he cashes in, though.
he's probably drunk from all the attention he gets and probably thinks it will last forever. he got a taste of fame and it's going to be very sobering once he has to go back to working a 9 to 5 job unclogging toilets.

The Hermit

jmdajr said:
some people at work ready to leave the country :lol :lol :lol :lol

FUCK EM

LEAVE

Don´t know if it was mentioned in this thread, but the Obama election is very similar to Lula´s here in Brasil.

• People saying they will leave the country if he is elected
  • The extreme popularism of the candidate
  • The first time a person from his kind is elected (poor / black)
  • The word "change" uttered in every speech

After Lula was elected many things didn´t change as people expected... Will the same happen to Obama too?

aesop

chubigans said:
Eh? Joe the Plumber IS cashing in on his fame: he has a book deal and is in negotiations to have a record deal.

Those might have paid off had McCain won the election. Personally, I don't think a significant amount of people would buy his book or his CD.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cloudy said:
Oh I know he does but I feel the campaign could have done more in CA. Maybe send some surrogates out there to explain it the conservative black and hispanic voters?
With Democratic control of the government, you can bet your ass that something that will get done in the 4 years ahead will be a federal bill granting civil unions full marriage rights to gay citizens.

Is it priority 1...absolutely not.

harSon said:
Ted Stevens is fucking leading? Fucking amazing.

While Stevens did win yesterday it's very likely he'll be forced to resign. If that happens the governor has the power to replace him with whoever he/she wants.

Palin could replace Stevens with herself :drudge :drudge :drudge

FIREBABY

ZeroTolerance said:
JOE THE PLUMBER ON cbs right now.

"The American people spoke and I am one hundred percent behind him"

"I have formed a watch dog group in congress to make sure he works for us"

:lol
Will this man just stop! Vanish like Palin please. How the hell is forming anything while being unemployed? Idiot, when you were talking to Obama he told you "even if he didn't get your vote he would still be working for you". Jesus. You are just one of the last mistakes of a failed campaign that needs to be forgotten quickly.

smurfx

get some go again
aesop said:
Those might have paid off had McCain won the election. Personally, I don't think a significant amount of people would buy his book or his CD.
i bet the book deal falls through. he will most likely end up with some shitty publisher and the only place he will be selling his book will be amazon.com.

Cloudy said:
Who was the idiot with a communist flag at the DC celebration? Fox is already pouncing on it. Ugh...
i wouldn't doubt it being a plant. gotta have something to talk about the next day.

Desi

Baiano19 said:
After Lula was elected many things didn´t change as people expected... Will the same happen to Obama too?
i can only hope things get done. I don't believe in the unbelievable but I work for a better future.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Baiano19 said:
Don´t know if it was mentioned in this thread, but the Obama election is very similar to Lula´s here in Brasil.

The real change will concern social/racial issues, and the real impact probably won't be seen for at least a decade.

But yeah, he's president, not emperor. Hell of a lot better than having McCain in there, but we still have a long road to travel.

ZeroTolerance

FIREBABY said:
Will this man just stop! Vanish like Palin please. How the hell is forming anything while being unemployed? Idiot, when you were talking to Obama he told you "even if he didn't get your vote he would still be working for you". Jesus. You are just one of the last mistakes of a failed campaign that needs to be forgotten quickly.

Well he need all the publicity as well since he will be releasing a book and possibly a record label soon.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Baiano19 said:

It is certainly a possibility.

Obama is going to have to live up to all this monumental hype. At minimum within the first year, he has to have made significant progress towards ending the war in Iraq and a refocusing of troops into Afghanistan, as well as proposing or approving some form of economic improvement bill, beit his new tax plan (unlikely this early into his presidency with the Bush tax cuts) or some form of economic stimulus.

The ecomony's shift will play a large role in defining his presidency, and he can only control so much in the short term.

t4ng0

FIREBABY said:
Woah man, its alright - Obama won. :D

smurfx

get some go again
Baiano19 said:

kinda hard to change things in south american countries when the rich have such a vice like grip on the power. rich people don't like change and they have all the power in brazil. rich people have a lot of power here in america but they don't rule over us like rich people do in hispanic countries.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
While Stevens did win yesterday it's very likely he'll be forced to resign. If that happens the governor has the power to replace him with whoever he/she wants.

I'm sorry for offending any Alaskan GAFers but your state is filled with fucking retards, who in the fuck votes for an elected official knowing that they were found guilty of 7 felony charges?

syllogism

PhoenixDark said:

The law is a bit unclear, but even if she is allowed to temporarily replace Stevens, there has to be a special election

joey_z

Banned
Ten years from now, a movie on this election will win an actor and a director an oscar each. It's been epic to say the least.

Been passing this around today to the defeated cons that I know:

ObamaHAHA.jpg
ObamaHAHA.jpg
ObamaHAHA.jpg
ObamaHAHA.jpg

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Baiano19 said:

This is the kind of thing Obama has to be wary of.

People need to realise that, with Obama's election, that they've definetly taken the better of two roads. However, he's human; he can only do so much without pure authoritarian power.

What he should do is frequent public addresses, akin to FDR's fireside chats. Presidents have used this tool to good effect in America... and he needs to give frequent updates on where he sees the country, what he hopes to do to correct things, and what he realistically expect outcomes to be.

If he does that, then without a doubt, he'll be able to magnify what is starting off as an extremely impressive legacy.

If he lets expectations go unmanaged, they'll crash in less than a year, when people exclaim how the economy isn't back on track yet, how the wars are still going, etc, etc.

Tobor

It's morning again, in America.

The Reagan movement has finally been dismantled, hatred and bitterness brushed aside, and the final nail has been placed in the coffin of Vietnam War era politicians. The sun is shining.

It's morning again, in America.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
joey_z said:
Ten years from now, a movie on this election will win an actor and a director an oscar each. It's been epic to say the least.

America's elected a disabled president. And they've now elected a black president.

Next up, a
disabled black
woman president.

joey_z said:

Speaking of which I can't wait for Edward Norton's Obama documentary to come out omg

I really can't see how people can turn this into such a negative thing to the point of saying the end days are coming in the next 4 years or to act as if McCain was such a saint.

News flash, Jesus would never have supported some of the actions of this country for the last 8 years, and McCain agreed with Bush a vast majority of the time. I saw on rr-bb though that some people think the media brain washed people into hating Bush :D.

I can't think of any better person than Bams to bring us to the next generation of politics and, hopefully, America. His campaign was the first real 21st century campaign and I feel that he's bringing a very current set of ideas and change to the white house.

Will he execute his promises well as President? I'm not sure. I hope so. I've never wanted any man of office to succeed so overwhelmingly, but we can do nothing more than sit back and hope in these challenging times. The potential is certainly huge. If he were able to fix this mess as well as prepare this country for 21st century challenges I believe he could go down as one of the greatest men to ever have served in office.

Andre3000

Neo Member
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I still cannot believe Obama won Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina. I knew he was going to win Virginia, but goddamn he did surprise a lot of people. Indiana, too. :lol

As a lifelong Floridian, I was/am stunned that he won Florida, too. I knew the support from the southeast part of the state would be strong, but I was a bit surprised by central FL. Go Orlando!!

worldrunover said:
Maybe he means from a comedic standpoint?

You know how much harder Stewart and Conan's jobs will be with a President Obama? ;)

Nah. He has creepy awkward pauses in his (otherwise amazing) speeches, and when he inevitably directly contradicts his old campaign promises, there'll be some amazing gotcha footage with crowds screaming like Christ himself has risen.

joey_z said:

It's not going to take Hollywood that long to capitalize on this. A writer has probably been writing a script as the election went on.

obama is not fit to lead Boy Scouts, let alone the free world. He is frankly not fit to tie President Bush's shoes. For many, including myself, the Bush days are going to be looked upon fondly. People are going to wake up in the not too distant future and realized they were fooled.

:lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Dark FaZe said:
I really can't see how people can turn this into such a negative thing to the point of saying the end days are coming in the next 4 years or to act as if McCain was such a saint.

News flash, Jesus would never have supported some of the actions of this country for the last 8 years, and McCain agreed with Bush a vast majority of the time. I saw on rr-bb though that some people think the media brain washed people into hating Bush :D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

It's become quite evident to me, that some (or rather, many) other religion(s) has hijacked the christian brand in order to peddle their bullshit.

Barrett2

My Wills & Trusts Professor right now is telling us he spent over $1,000 on margaritas & whiskey last night for his election party! Sounds like I missed an awesome party. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Holy shit, did republics go this batshit insane when there were democrats as presidents? This seems a bit ridiculous. They act like his first act will be to let loose a pack of rabid bears into the suburbs that are trained to eat babies and pregenant women's bellies or some crazy shit like that. And what's scary is I'm not exaggerating THAT much.

Dark FaZe said:
I can't think of any better person than Bams to bring us to the next generation of politics and, hopefully, America. His campaign was the first real 21st century campaign and I feel that he's bringing a very current set of ideas and change to the white house.

I'd say Howard Dean's was, actually. He just screamed a bunch at a crowd and had everything but his personal mic feed shut off for the subsequent airings of the scene, so we tend to forget that.

(Disclaimer: I wasn't a Dean supporter. At all.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom