• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoenixDark said:
I've never been a fan of Obama's "politics of the past" retorts because they just don't work; he might have been able to get away with that before the Wright situation/campaign bumpy waters but now he's seen as just another politician. Pretending to be otherwise won't work.

I can't wait to see this newfound "toughness" on display after today.

Bill was always great at using his defense as his offense. Like a great counter puncher. I would love to see Obama adopt a bit more of that.

ronito

PrivateWHudson said:
I'm sorry, I didn't know Christianity was unique in it's view on abortion?
On abortion being bad? Nearly all agree, but (and here's the rub) not all agree with Christians that life begins at conception. So an abortion within the first trimester to some religions really is not viewed anywhere close to murder. Just like it was during the times of Thomas Aquinas where the catholic church held that life didn't begin until after the third trimester. This birth at conception is a modern thing.

ronito said:
On abortion being bad? Nearly all agree, but (and here's the rub) not all agree with Christians that life begins at conception. So an abortion within the first trimester to some religions really is not viewed anywhere close to murder. Just like it was during the times of Thomas Aquinas where the catholic church held that life didn't begin until after the third trimester. This birth at conception is a modern thing.

I bet a lot more people would agree on abortion if we could say first trimester...Fine. After that it takes a court order and a note from your doctor stating a medical necessity. But neither extremes of either party would let that happen.

Incognito said:
What the polls are missing

Nice article about Obama's GOTV operation.

Florida
Obama’s goal, says deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand, is to register the 630,000 eligible Hispanics, 593,000 African-Americans and 236,000 18- to 24-year-olds not yet on the rolls. With 236,000 new Democrats racked up since January–compared to 126,000 new Republicans–they’re well on their way.

fuuuck me. I won't get my hopes up but god damn if those people are motivated to vote...

ronito

PrivateWHudson said:
I bet a lot more people would agree on abortion if we could say first trimester...Fine. After that it takes a court order and a note from your doctor stating a medical necessity. But neither extremes of either party would let that happen.
I've always said you were surprisingly well thought out for someone of your political leanings.

Gruco

Banned
Elfforkusu said:
I don't like the idea of writing nuclear power off. The problem seems to be that there's a lot of friction acting against getting the industry up and running again, with huge startup costs and the practical problem of "no one has done this before" at the moment. I guess what I'd propose is lending a helping hand for a few of these projects, then after the pioneers forge through the wilderness (so to speak) reassess the economics of it all and hope the lessons learned can reduce the startup costs significantly enough to make it less of a risky business. Government loans/insurance perhaps?
Yeah, I don't disagree with the helping hand approach, but I also think that already happened to some extent with the 2005 energy bill. I think it's probably a bad decision to make in the current environment, but once all of the low hanging fruit has been snatched up, not only will we have a better sense of type of energy/economic environment these projects will be coming into, but also a better sense of what challenges the new plants will be facing. If nuclear has to be a significant point (and really it almost certainly will), I don't think having a few plants going live in 2020 vs 2018 will be a game breaker.

element

might be old, but this could be your new VP and possible future president.

2d1mttw.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Seeing Obama and McCain walking side by side in silence at ground zero was just weird.

laserbeam said:
1% of abortions are due to rape and incest. 6% are typically due to medical conditions. So I think you need to watch the name calling. Consensual sex makes up the very vast vast vast majority of abortions

Because it's a well known fact all rape victims are totally open about that fact. I'm not saying consensual sex don't make up the majority of abortion, but most social statistics are totally bullshit.

Gaborn said:

They had an episode of House that had a similar scene. Incidentally it was also about aborting a fetus, but to save the mother's life. Anyway it was probably inspired by that picture.

So you're saying you would agree to this?

Spirit of Jazz said:
Because it's a well known fact all rape victims are totally open about that fact. I'm not saying consensual sex don't make up the majority of abortion, but most social statistics are totally bullshit.
Rape/abortion thread is the other way --->

GhaleonEB

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/11/135228/469/887/595077

Daily Kos/Research 2000 daily tracker first day results are up.

Full cross tabs for every day of the poll will be disclosed. Transparency FTW.

There are some unique features to this likely voter poll, which has a margin of error of +/- 3%. First of all, it is a four way poll, including Barr and Nader. Second, we will spare you the agony and the work of guessing what each day's numbers show. As part of our presentation, we will give you access to all of the internals, so you can see what the daily numbers look like (however, remember the daily number has a much higher margin of error, 5.1%, compared to the aggregate.) In doing so, we hope to foster transparency - we're bloggers, and that's what's what we do.

PrivateWHudson said:
A perfectly reasonable position. One that I would happily vote in favor for.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
PrivateWHudson said:

"We" have no say, and neither do the extremes of the parties (except tangentially during Supreme Court nomination hearings.) Five lawyers in Washington decide the policy based on emanations from penumbras. But a gestational limit is the norm in Europe, where I assume policy is set by legislatures and not judges.

Barrett2

Steve Youngblood said:
A perfectly reasonable position. One that I would happily vote in favor for.

You guys do realize that basically IS the current Federal law regarding abortion, right? States can't interfere in the first trimester, but can put up plenty of restrictions after that. Beyond that, its all up to the states to say what the rules are. People spend so much time worrying about the Feds, but its the states that write the abortion laws, aside from a few Fed rules, like the late-term ban, etc.

ronito said:
I've always said you were surprisingly well thought out for someone of your political leanings.

;) I'm smart enough to know that I don't really know a whole lot and I'm open to changing my point of view when presented with new information.

OMG THEY'RE STILL ALIVE!!!!

Obama And The Sunday After September 11, 2001
In 2001, on this date, in an almost cinematic, almost unbelievable moment, the World Trade Center towers fell. The attack that destroyed the towers shocked the nation. Americans grieved. Americans continue to grieve.

A few days later, 5 days later, on the Sunday after thousands died, there was no grieving in Obama’s Chicago church. Obama’s fellow parishioners, egged on by a fiery sermon by Obama’s long time friend of more than 20 years, Obama’s “old uncle”, applauded and laughed. In Obama’s church “America’s chickens” had “come home to roost.”
lol and playing the Wright card

lawblob said:
You guys do realize that basically IS the current Federal law regarding abortion, right? States can't interfere in the first trimester, but can put up plenty of restrictions after that. Beyond that, its all up to the states to say what the rules are. People spend so much time worrying about the Feds, but it is largely states that write the abortion laws.
Yes, but there is ambiguity out there that still determines that people will vote for a candidate just because of their perceived stance on the abortion debate, regardless of what is currently in place.

Personally, as naive as this is, I would love to see this settled once and for all. I'm tired of seeing this pop up again and again when I feel that there are more important, less divisive issues out there to be tackled. I'm pro-choice, and certainly disagree with making abortion illegal, but I'm not some pro-abortion nutjob who thinks it's a valid form of post-hoc contraception.

Again, I know it's too much to hope for, but I wish we could find some compromise that most could be happy with (extremists be damned) and just move on.

Diablos

Ah, hillaryis44.

Seriously... if Obama wins... Fox News, hillaryis44 and some of my conservative extended family members will provide me with some of the best entertainment in years.

Hootie said:
Why does the MSM still consider Missouri a battleground state? Surely McCain will win it by 6+.
Same reason why they considered NH a battleground state.

Hootie said:
Why does the MSM consider Missouri a battleground state? Surely McCain will win it by 6+.
NO!

Obama has at least 4 offices in St. Louis county alone. Don't forget about the ground game. There is still hope.

Hootie

The Lamonster said:
NO!

Obama has at least 4 offices in St. Louis county alone. Don't forget about the ground game. There is still hope.

Even the latest poll had McCain up fairly big there. I'm definitely not holding my breath on them.

Not to mention Michigan and NH are starting to look slightly better for Obama and at this point they are much more important than Missouri.

Hootie said:
Even the latest poll had McCain up fairly big there. I'm definitely not holding my breath on them.

Not to mention Michigan and NH are starting to look slightly better for Obama and at this point they are much more important than Missouri.
5-6 points isn't what I'd call a fairly big lead. It's more like a motivating challenge.

NewLib

Banned
soul creator said:
isn't that what Roe v Wade already says?

edit: beaten

Why do people still act like the rules are still set by Roe vs Wade? Casey has more value to it now and there are quite a few other Judicial decisions which makes Roe vs Wade basically, "Some types of abortions can be made legal."

soul creator said:
isn't that what Roe v Wade already says?

edit: beaten
Again, for clarification, popular opinion seems to be more based on perception of the issue, and less on what actually exists. I'm all in favor of a referendum on the topic that settles the issue in a reasonable compromise and takes it out of the national debates. It's not going to happen anytime soon, but I can dream.

Barrett2

Steve Youngblood said:
Yes, but there is ambiguity out there that still determines that people will vote for a candidate just because of their perceived stance on the abortion debate, regardless of what is currently in place.

Personally, as naive as this is, I would love to see this settled once and for all. I'm tired of seeing this pop up again and again when I feel that there are more important, less divisive issues out there to be tackled. I'm pro-choice, and certainly disagree with making abortion illegal, but I'm not some pro-abortion nutjob who thinks it's a valid form of post-hoc contraception.

Again, I know it's too much to hope for, but I wish we could find some compromise that most could be happy with (extremists be damned) and just move on.

One of the best pieces written about politics & abortion, IMO, was actually Scalia's dissenting opinion in the Casey case. He basically said that it was a travesty that the Federal courts have been turned into petty political battlegrounds in which people try to wage their partisan wars by forcing judges to make political decisions.

Even though I consider myself moderately pro-choice, I totally agree with Scalia on this one. I wish the Feds would leave all abortion decisions up to the states, so this shit would quit infecting national politics. Instead, both sides use it as a wedge issue to piss people off, which ends up distracting from real issues.

NewLib: Roe v. Wade is no longer relevant law, it's been supplanted by Casey.

That Daily Kos poll looks pretty good for Obama.

Code:
DAILY KOS PRESIDENTIAL TRACKING  POLL 2008

DATE      MCCAIN    OBAMA     BARR      NADER     OTHER     UND

11-Sep    45%       47%        2%        2%        1%        3%

MEN       49%       42%        3%        3%        1%        2%
WOMEN     42%       51%        1%        1%        1%        4%

DEM       13%       82%        1%        1%        1%        2%
REP       90%        7%        1%        1%        0%        1%
IND       44%       42%        4%        4%        1%        5%
OTH       45%       42%        3%        3%        2%        5%

WHITE     56%       35%        3%        2%        1%        3%
BLACK      4%       93%        0%        0%        0%        3%
LATINO    28%       67%        0%        1%        0%        4%
OTHER      6%       86%        0%        0%        0%        8%

18-29     31%       61%        0%        1%        0%        7%
30-44     48%       44%        4%        1%        1%        2%
45-59     44%       48%        2%        3%        1%        2%
60+       54%       39%        1%        3%        1%        2%

NE        37%       55%        1%        2%        1%        4%
SOUTH     54%       38%        3%        1%        1%        3%
MIDWEST   43%       50%        2%        2%        1%        2%
WEST      44%       48%        2%        3%        1%        2%

Amir0x

Banned
So Palin is known as "Denali" to the secret service, and her husband is known as "driller."

Can't make that stuff up. I still don't grasp the concept of having code names if everyone knows what they are.

Hootie said:

We won't go down without a fight.

Frank the Great said:
It seems Barr and Nader are both equal spoilers.
I thought it would be more like 6% Barr and 1% Nader but I guess there's still lots of 'tards out there...still better than a McCain vote, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom