• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like hunting from a car (illegal, frowned upon by hunters), only 100x worse. It's one of those things that Alaskans promote that is totally out of touch with the rest of America due to just how different that state is from the rest of us.

They should start playing that in the Denver TV market if they haven't already.

Branduil

Why is shooting wolves from a plane worse than shooting wolves from on land?

Is there some kind of inherent evil that scales with aerial height while hunting?

If I shot a wolf with a futuristic sniper rifle from the moon, would I be the most evil person in the world?

gkryhewy

Wolf ad just made my veterinary student wife flip out :lol

Branduil said:

Is there some kind of inherent evil that scales with aerial height while hunting?

If I shot a wolf with a futuristic sniper rifle from the moon, would I be the most evil person in the world?

Found this online:

Alaska is the only state that allows hunters to use helicopters not only to kill wolves but also to chase them down and then execute them while they lay exhausted from the chase. No hunter would ever consider this to be fair chase hunting.

eznark

Banned
The wolf thing is pretty dumb. Wolf hunts and extended hunting seasons on all type of animals are common in Wisconsin and other states, for conservation purposes.

Shit, it was open season on deer for like 3 years because of disease.

AniHawk said:
She wants to take polar bears off the endangered species list. I just take it she doesn't give a shit about the environment.

1) Kill all the wildlife
2) Liberals and environmentalists can't complain that drilling will affect wildlife
3) ???
4) Profit

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you're sort of diminishing the argument of "hunting for sport" when you are chasing down wolves in a Cessna.

AniHawk

Hitokage said:
They're predators, but they're shy around humans. They only become dangerous when you crossbreed them with their domesticated relatives which have absolutely no reservations in approaching humans. More importantly, they hold an important ecological niche. After wolves disappeared from Yellowstone, trees started thinning out and river banks became more erratic.

Also, wolves are fucking awesome.

Branduil said:

I don't know who you're arguing with, but shooting animals in general is fucking disgusting.

I don't give a shit if you're in a car or a plane or a Power Wheels. Fuck hunters.

AniHawk said:
Also, wolves are fucking awesome.
this

Fatalah

Someone's gotta keep a list of youtube links to all the new 527 ads.

So far I've seen Planned Childhood, and the shooting from planes one.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/12/mccain-last-year-mayors-a_n_125944.html

When does being a governor or mayor for a short period of time not disqualify your credentials on national security? When you are John McCain and your task is to defend your vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

When does being a governor or mayor for a short period of time ABSOLUTELY disqualify your credentials on national security? When you are John McCain and your task is to defeat primary opponents Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani.

Back in October 2007, when McCain's candidacy still appeared dead and buried, the Senator berated the two Republican front runners for lacking the necessary political experience to handle commander in chief responsibilities.

"I have had a strong and a long relationship on national security, I've been involved in every national crisis that this nation has faced since Beirut, I understand the issues, I understand and appreciate the enormity of the challenge we face from radical Islamic extremism," the Senator declared. "I am prepared. I am prepared. I need no on-the-job training. I wasn't a mayor for a short period of time. I wasn't a governor for a short period of time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhF...09/12/mccain-last-year-mayors-a_n_125944.html

Barrett2

The Lamonster said:
Awesome, feel free to copy+paste it liberally!

It is a very nice rebuttal, nice job putting it together in that organized fashion.

Hopefully some of the people you send it to will actually read it. Personally, I decided against any political emailing this year, and instead confine my rants / thoughts to my personal blog. I figure this way any relatives or friends who want to know what I think know where to go to find my thoughts, and since they are coming to my blog instead of receiving an email, they might feel less 'threatened' by the message. So far it seems to be working, I have even received comments from extremely conservative relatives I haven't spoken to in a few years... so it is nice to know that you really can get your thoughts out to people.

gkryhewy

eznark said:
The wolf thing is pretty dumb. Wolf hunts and extended hunting seasons on all type of animals are common in Wisconsin and other states, for conservation purposes.

Shit, it was open season on deer for like 3 years because of disease.

As far as I know, there is no year-round grazing livestock to be protected from wolves in Alaska, and the wild wolf population there is only 9,000.

Odrion

Banned
Branduil said:

the group who made the ad are animal hugging hippies

there IS something fucked up about chasing a wolf until it collapses from exhaustion and then shooting it

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:

Shooting buffalo from trains for fun almost drove them to extinction. It's needless and there isn't even any sport to it.

lawblob said:
It is a very nice rebuttal, nice job putting it together in that organized fashion.

Hopefully some of the people you send it to will actually read it. Personally, I decided against any political emailing this year, and instead confine my rants / thoughts to my personal blog.

Link?

gkrykewy said:
Found this online:

Alaska is the only state that allows hunters to use helicopters not only to kill wolves but also to chase them down and then execute them while they lay exhausted from the chase. No hunter would ever consider this to be fair chase hunting.

Fuck Alaska.

eznark

Banned
gkrykewy said:
As far as I know, there is no year-round grazing livestock to be protected from wolves in Alaska, and the wild wolf population there is only 9,000.

well, Alaska seems to disagree and finds this necessary to preserve the wolf population

http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wolf.control

Of course, if you just think hunting is evil, than it doesn't particularly matter if there are rational reasons for maximizing the efficiency of the population control.

This also bugs me:
On August 26, 2008 Alaskans voted for a third time on the issue of aerial wolf hunting. More than 70,000 Alaskans voted to stop private aerial hunting of wolves and bears and to limit the practice to Alaska Department of Fish and Game personnel only.

Unfortunately a well funded opposition coupled with a strong turnout in conservative voters led to the defeat of the ballot measure.

It's not even about protecting one of Alaska's sources of food(deer, caribou, etc). Seriously what the heck?

gkryhewy

The Blue Jihad said:
Fuck Alaska.

And if you think about it, it's absolutely fucking retarded. Is there really more tourist $$ to be made from promoting the hunting of wolves than from promoting the VIEWING of wolves? My understanding is that yellowstone tourism has begun to benefit quite a bit from the wolve' reintroduction.

Shins

Banned
Branduil said:
I don't know but I want to do whatever it takes to make this possible for you.

AniHawk

eznark said:
well, Alaska seems to disagree and finds this necessary to preserve the wolf population

http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wolf.control

Of course, if you just think hunting is evil, than it doesn't particularly matter if there are rational reasons for maximizing the efficiency of the population control.

I'm not sure if hunting them to the point of exhaustion is part of preserving the population, but okay.

Also, not quite sure about the whole "$150 for each left foreleg" thing. Doesn't that seem savage to an extreme? What the FUCK are they gonna do with a left foreleg and a left foreleg only?

Branduil

Hitokage said:
Shooting buffalo from trains for fun almost drove them to extinction. It's needless and there isn't even any sport to it.
Non sequitor. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the aerial wolf hunting is just "for fun." Not even the partisan ad implies that.

According to the link provided earlier it's part of a controlled reduction in wolf populations.

The Lamonster said:
I don't know who you're arguing with, but shooting animals in general is fucking disgusting.

I don't give a shit if you're in a car or a plane or a Power Wheels. Fuck hunters.

Hunters and sportsmen are a crucial part of the American environmental movement. Conservation and habitat preservation efforts for game species usually involve creating habitat suitable for non-game species.

As for hunting from *any* vehicle, you'll find that 99% of hunters agree that it is unsportsmanlike and dishonorable. It's a huge no-no, you don't do it EVER.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Branduil said:

Depends on your costume and the overall architectural impression of your Moon Castle. I for one swear fealty to you, my liege.

Moon_Hater_2_420.jpg

Haha what?

http://www.alaskawolves.org/Alaska Wolves.html

Unfortunately there are major problems for wolves in Alaska and elsewhere from heavy government-sanctioned killing, including with the use of airplanes and snowmobiles. There have even been Mengele-like experiments to convert their vibrant family groups (so-called packs) to sterile pairs across large regions. The vital underlying patterns of variation that define natural wolf-prey systems are being ignored and replaced. This is being done with parochial, anti-adaptive farming approaches to management that seldom if ever produce and sustain the high, stable numbers and yields of moose and caribou touted by proponents. Perhaps worst of all, these problems originate primarily from biologists and remain largely hidden from public notice due to outright deception.

This is some disturbing shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AniHawk said:
Like Monday or something, Plouffe said they're sending in the cavalry.

Basically, shit just got real.

And Obama handwringers are still going to call Obama a pussy.

You guys need to realize that Obama released the wolves and so far the hard hitting ads are good ones targeted at ripping McCain's and Palin's teflon.

AniHawk

Fragamemnon said:
Hunters and sportsmen are a crucial part of the American environmental movement. Conservation and habitat preservation efforts for game species usually involve creating habitat suitable for non-game species.

As for hunting from *any* vehicle, you'll find that 99% of hunters agree that it is unsportsmanlike and dishonorable. It's a huge no-no, you don't do it EVER.
Yep. I can tolerate hunting for sport. I don't like it and I'll never do it, but I can tolerate it. And I certainly understand the idea of thinning out the population to preserve a species, but gunning down animals from a plane is for the sadistic.

eznark

Banned
Hitokage said:
Uh, your link talks about preserving prey, because we happen to be killing them off too.

This is the stated purpose:

In these areas, wolf numbers will be temporarily reduced, but wolves will not be permanently eliminated from any area. Successful programs allow humans to take more moose, and healthy populations of wolves to continue to thrive in Alaska.

I don't think they allow for moose hunting and the like aerial, do they?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
Non sequitor. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the aerial wolf hunting is just "for fun." Not even the partisan ad implies that.

According to the link provided earlier it's part of a controlled reduction in wolf populations.
Underrestricted hunting of animals has resulted in crashed populations and continues to do so today. That's a logical response to the matter at hand. :p
eznark said:
This is the stated purpose:

I don't think they allow for moose hunting and the like aerial, do they?
That statement just says they're culling wolves to promote more prey for people, but won't wipe them out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Branduil said:

Reminds me of the British fox hunting argument.

"It is a practical way to reduce predation on small animals and chickens." As dozens of people on horseback wearing top hats thundered across the countryside blasting trumpets with a pack of baying hounds in front of them.

Barrett2

CharlieDigital said:

It's just my personal blog, but I decided that for this political season I would try to avoid any family-related awkwardness and avoid political emailing altogether, instead just putting my rants there. After starting to write about political stuff, I put a hit counter on the site, and the hits seem to be increasing. I have a lot of very conservative relatives, so I literally am the only outlet for many of them who isn't a conservative robot. I doubt it will change anyone's mind, but who knows. I also intentionally write in a way that won't offend relatives or inlaws, so my 'true thoughts' on a lot of issues are definitely self-centered... but I figure you have to account for your audience in whatever you write.

www.jimwilsonlawblog.blogspot.com

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Putin faces down charging tigers at point-blank range and merely aims to disable the beast.

Palin leisurely hunts wolves from the safety of a plane ("More coffee, anyone?") and shoots to kill after they've already run themselves to exhaustion.

I, for one, will welcome our new Russian overlords.

Branduil

Fragamemnon said:

So what is it about hunting from a vehicle that makes it inherently wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom