• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

scorcho said:
my irrational, 2am fear is that Davis perfected an already winning conservative tactic - paint the media as part of the stodgy, northeast liberal network (this time in front of a national convention audience) that then reduces the force of any criticism generated by them on its Barbie candidate.

then again, the press has been castrated - the established players are afraid to call out lies, call out the subtle racial overtones, and treats the truth as merely a statement from some non-partisan or liberal group. as such McCain's camp can continue to blatantly lie, smear and dissemble to a public that doesn't know any better, either because they believe that certain media outlets have an agenda or because facts are framed in a partisan lens.

it makes me want to yell my own BYAAAAAHHH!
This. A thousand times this.

Read that part again. Realise what this means. And weep.

Tamanon said:
The race card was a brilliant invention. It basically took the idea of discussing race and made it a bad thing. It basically took racism and turned it almost untouchable, even making it worse for the person who tries to identify it.:lol

QFT.

The "race card" essentially allowed us to even further marginalize an issue America had already marginalized as much as possible.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Stoney Mason said:
QFT.

The "race card" essentially allowed us to even further marginalize an issue America had already marginalized as much as possible.

No way.

The Race Card is a supremely powerful rhetorical tool that black people can and do use in any social situation to immediately and automatically gain an advantage over their guilt-tripped white counterparts.

It's the awesome power of the Race Card which has allowed blacks to seize their role as the new American elite, dominating American politics, government, industry, finance, media and higher education.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I just finished watching sicko and... I think if Obama doesn't win I will definitely prepare myself to move to the Canada or England. It may take 5-7 years but I'm the kind of person that feels home is where I make it.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
platypotamus said:
Links are hard to see on Dino Gaf (at least for me, might be a colorblind thing).

That's why I bolded it.

I have a hard time picking out links, so I've been underlining them but then I saw Macam bolding all of his and they just look so... robust!

PoliGAF.

I want to quit you. There are many intelligent and diverse debaters here, but this thread is killing me. :(

So I ask your assistance, one last time. Can you guys tell me what news sources, blogs, newspapers, channels, podcasts, in short, any website or resource on the web that I can use to keep up with the election? What are your favorites?

Tell me, PM me, but please, put it out there so I can free myself from this damned thread, at least for the time being.

Edit:

Socreges said:
wow, palin didn't know what the bush doctrine was.

has obama campaign leaped on this or what?

No one cares because no one else knows what it is, either.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
platypotamus said:
Links are hard to see on Dino Gaf (at least for me, might be a colorblind thing).
when that whole dinogaf thing came out i changed it to remove the picture and make the forum pleasing shades of gray. i also had the foresight to realize that making both text and links black would pose me no problems in the future, and so it goes.

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
QFT.

I don't think anyone here knows what the race card is

Rur0ni

FlightOfHeaven said:
PoliGAF.

I want to quit you. There are many intelligent and diverse debaters here, but this thread is killing me. :(

So I ask your assistance, one last time. Can you guys tell me what news sources, blogs, newspapers, channels, podcasts, in short, any website or resource on the web that I can use to keep up with the election? What are your favorites?

Tell me, PM me, but please, put it out there so I can free myself from this damned thread, at least for the time being.

www.fivethirtyeight.com
www.msnbc.com (first read)
www.dailykos.com

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
PoliGAF.

bloggingshead.tv

one of my favorite sources, and probably the least biased on the internet.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I don't think anyone here knows what the race card is

Much like the Bush Doctrine, the race card means everything and nothing at once, with an individual meaning that is completely unique to every observer at any given instant.

Truly the quantum race card theory stumps the blinkered human mind!

Tamanon

Banned
I've yet to see anyone define it. it's just thrown out there with no fucking context.

Isn't that kinda the point? It's a term that was created to just be broad, undefined, but we know it's bad!

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Tamanon said:
Isn't that kinda the point? It's a term that was created to just be broad, undefined, but we know it's bad!

Yep.

"The race card" is any time a black person is bringing up race in a way that a white person feels is unfairly accusatory.

Because it gets thrown around casually, because people tend to say "you're pulling the race card!" rather than explaining why this particular accusation is unfair, it's basically a rhetorical bludgeon used to set the boundaries of the discussion.

It's used as a tool to make certain opinions taboo, and the vagueness is a useful aspect in doing so.

Banned
Mandark said:
Much like the Bush Doctrine, the race card means everything and nothing at once, with an individual meaning that is completely unique to every observer at any given instant.

Truly the quantum race card theory stumps the blinkered human mind!
what? Both have concrete meanings, unique only to those who wish to twist the meaning.

I don't see how the bush doctrine can be twisted at all.

kevm3

I love a lot of Barack's ideas and that's what motives me to do something to get him in office... but what motivates me just as much, if not moreso, is a disgust for what McCain has become. To be blunt, I really don't want this guy in office. Can you imagine, as the economy continues to sour under the leadership of a guy who admits he knows nothing about the economy, we see McCain smiling during a State of the Union address, delivering flat-out lies on how everything will be alright? Sound familiar? We've had 8 years of it already.

And here we go with another 4 years of fat cats making out while the middle to lower class have to suffer. There is so much disgust spoken about welfare, but why not the same disdain for corporate welfare? Companies getting bailed out after irresponsible action after irresponsible action. I guess we'll have to enjoy the rich eating the lamb at the feast, taking the leftovers home and knocking the crumbs down for everyone else. John McCain will fix it right? Sure will with his nonexistant knowledge of economical matters, as well as his ties with lobbyists.

This isn't a rant I'm delivering because I'm a life-long democrat and I absolutely must see one in office, nor is this racially motivated, in that I want a black man to win above everything else. This is a dire warning that I'm delivering based upon if McCain gets in office. At least Bush had a vice president who was able to 'run the show'... Who had some idea of what was going on. An evil man Cheney may have been, but he had smarts. Now, in a time where we'll soon be reaping the seeds of incompetence and corruption that have been sown for the past 8 years, we are at a forked road where competence and a sense of integrity is a MUST. In these troubling times, we CANNOT have a leader who is ignorant and dishonest.

Obama certainly is no messiah figure who will swoop down and fix all of the problems of our time, but what he and Biden have been doing is at least communicating that they have been actually been making attempts to solve these problems facing us... When I hear him speak, Barack comes off as intelligent enough to understand the critical problems facing America with the saavy to concoct well reasoned solutions...

Does ANYONE know McCain's real plan? Wait, he doesn't even know, because he is changing them all the time to wring up more votes. Sarah Palin doesn't know much of anything... And this is the leadership we may have while these financial institutions are on the verge of collapse and there are signs of a worsening economy? We have two mavericks who know nothing about economics? Barack has pages of his solutions on his website that he has been fairly consistent with. Anyone know what McCain stands for? Someone in his campaign even said that McCain has to make this about personality, not issues. The clip where McCain is talking about running for office due to ambition is proving to be true by simply observing his actions. Look at his Palin pick, which was due to purely political purposes, and also his elusiveness when it comes to discussing issues.

What is unfortunate is how the media is paying absolutely no mind to facts. I don't care if it's negative towards Barack as well. What we need is OBJECTIVITY so that we, the American people, can make the proper decision after having been given a concise presentation of the issues. And this is why I continue to say that the media is flat out poison to the American people. We laugh at other countries and criticize them... "haha how could the North Korean people buy into all of that?" Our media is certainly not THAT bad, however, it's profit driven motives have caused it to err from delivering truly important information. Our media has refused to give us pertinent FACTS at a time when we need to make an informed and CORRECT decision the most.

I have this tag 'chicken little,' and a few people find it humorous... But I wonder if they will find it humorous if we get an administration in office who doesn't have a clue when things get to crumbling? This is why sometimes my posts seem full of anger. I really see a dark future if we don't get good leadership in office, but maybe I'm merely wearing a pair of glasses that are grossly distorting my views.

Socreges

Banned
i have to admit, charlie gibson gave me a half-chubby during that interview. palin kept discussing the terrrrists, despite him repeatedly asking the question on sovereignty. he didn't let down. how horrible, though, that so many americans will have no concern for her obvious lack of foreign policy knowledge and will instead be impressed by her loud, tenacious (ultimately vacuous) attitude

what? Both have concrete meanings, unique only to those who wish to twist the meaning.

give mandark a little more credit

devilhawk

When the staffers who actually enact this 'doctrine' can't even tell you what it exactly means, I am inclined to think its meaning isn't so concrete.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091203324.html?hpid=topnews
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2008/09/12/BL2008091201471.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Banned
Mandark said:
Yep.

"The race card" is any time a black person is bringing up race in a way that a white person feels is unfairly accusatory.
completely off the mark. The "race card" has nothing to do with white people emotions or fuck anyone's emotions

the race card is just a fancy way of framing a situation in a specific angle. it can happen with anything. Race, gender, disability, etc etc it doesn't make anything taboo

scorcho said:

Clarence Thomas should get extra credit for "playing the race card" before OJ. That was a high tech lynching after all.

EDIT: btw full quote.

This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree.

This would be the last time in American History Republicans found "playing the race card" acceptable although I have a feeling they'll be dropping the "sexism card" quite frequently in the next two months.

Banned
devilhawk said:
When the staffers who actually enact this 'doctrine' can't even tell you what it exactly means, I am inclined to think its meaning isn't so concrete.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091203324.html?hpid=topnews
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2008/09/12/BL2008091201471.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
Palin's an idiot, and the articles about the Bush Doctrine are just beating around the issue. The bush Doctrine is simple. We can hit anyone we want. it's just as vague as every doctrine by an American president, as far back as Monroe.

It doesn't help that the Bush Doctrine doesn't really change anything. U.S law doesn't say say America can never fight preemptive war or go on the offensive without cause

devilhawk

kevm3 said:
This isn't a rant I'm delivering because I'm a life-long democrat and I absolutely must see one in office, nor is this racially motivated, in that I want a black man to win above everything else. This is a dire warning that I'm delivering based upon if McCain gets in office. At least Bush had a vice president who was able to 'run the show'... Who had some idea of what was going on. An evil man Cheney may have been, but he had smarts. Now, in a time where we'll soon be reaping the seeds of incompetence and corruption that have been sown for the past 8 years, we are at a forked road where competence and a sense of integrity is a MUST. In these troubling times, we CANNOT have a leader who is ignorant and dishonest.
A few things. You are a little too doom and gloom. You are forgetting the fact that it is an administration that runs the executive branch. There is a cabinet, whose members specialize in certain areas. McCain doesn't have to be the smartest in the economy or Obama in foreign policy.

One other thing often gets mentioned in this thread. The majority of this thread has a common ideology and belief. However, just because I, or others, have a different ideology doesn't mean we are inherently wrong. Well, maybe in the recent past an ideology has been executed very wrongly - if that make sense.

Palin's an idiot...The bush Doctrine is simple.
They don't both have to be true.

kevm3

devilhawk said:
A few things. You are a little too doom and gloom. You are forgetting the fact that it is an administration that runs the executive branch. There is a cabinet, whose members specialize in certain areas. McCain doesn't have to be the smartest in the economy or Obama in foreign policy.

One other thing often gets mentioned in this thread. The majority of this thread has a common ideology and belief. However, just because I, or others, have a different ideology doesn't mean we are inherently wrong. Well, maybe in the recent past an ideology has been executed very wrongly - if that make sense.

They don't both have to be true.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. I was just giving my observations on the matter.

I wouldn't actually mind a more focused discussions on the issues here, so we can start it if you dont mind. Let me start by asking you a question, and you can ask me one.

On matters of the economy and foreign policy, what gives you confidence in your candidates?

Rhindle

Troopergate Update:

The former Alaska public safety commissioner who refused to fire a state trooper embroiled in a domestic dispute with Gov. Sarah Palin's sister says he holds no grudge, but still believes the GOP vice presidential nominee is too thin-skinned for the job she hopes to fill.

"She apparently has difficulty compartmentalizing personal feelings from official acts," said Walter Monegan, who spent 33 years in the Anchorage Police Department - five years as chief - before Palin named him as the state public safety commissioner late in 2006.

Monegan says that - contrary to the governor's assertions - he believes his own firing by Palin in July was the result of his refusal to bow to pressure from her and her family to get rid of the trooper, Palin's ex-brother-in-law Mike Wooten.

"It's the biggest factor, if not the only factor," Monegan said during a telephone interview from his Alaska home.

Monegan remains at the center of a controversy about whether the Alaska governor and members of her administration tried to pressure him into firing Wooten, who is still on the job. At the time, Palin's younger sister, Molly, was involved in a bitter divorce and custody dispute with Wooten.

The Alaska Legislature is investigating the matter and may subpoena Palin's husband, Todd. It has also shown interest in having the governor herself talk to investigators, though not under subpoena. Monegan had his turn Wednesday, spending nearly the whole day telling his side.

Monegan said he knew nothing about Wooten until he was summoned to the governor's office in January 2007, after only a month on the job, for a face-to-face meeting with Palin's husband.

Monegan says Todd Palin laid out a list of grievances against Wooten, including his allegedly threatening to kill Palin's father, drinking in his squad car, Tasering his 10-year-old stepson and killing a moose without a permit.

"He was insistent" that something be done, Monegan said.

Monegan said the previous administration had already investigated every allegation and disciplined Wooten, and he saw nothing new to warrant further action.

Still, he said, he agreed to ask his staff to conduct a "page-by-page" review to see if the Public Safety Department had missed anything.

Monegan says a couple of days later he reported back to Todd Palin that there was no new evidence against Wooten. The governor's husband was upset with his answer, Monegan said, and pointed to the killing of the moose as a criminal act.

Monegan says he explained that it was "more a letter of the law than the spirit of the law" violation, because the trooper's wife - the governor's sister - had a permit for the hunt and had been with him at the time.

"She just didn't want to kill it - it was like looking at Bambi," Monegan said.

What's more, he said, after Wooten killed the moose, he and Molly took it to the home of Sarah Palin's parents, who "butchered it up and gave it back."

In other words, Monegan said, the parents and sister might also have to answer for their actions if he were to pursue a case against the trooper.

"I got a phone call from the governor about two days later," he said. "She reiterated the same frustration (over Wooten), the same passion that her husband had."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/14/BALE12T2N3.DTL

devilhawk

kevm3 said:
I'm not saying that you're wrong. I was just giving my observations on the matter.

I wouldn't actually mind a more focused discussions on the issues here, so we can start it if you dont mind. Let me start by asking you a question, and you can ask me one.

On matters of the economy and foreign policy, what gives you confidence in your candidates?
First, I am not a party line republican by any stretch. However, I may be one of the most reasonable conservatives here. Mostly I just try and pose a somewhat rational opposition to try and break up the monotony.

As far as foreign policy goes: I believe we are at a crossroads. Foreign policy has crept into everything we do domestically. The economy is increasingly tied with the foreign affairs. I believe that McCain and Obama have similar plans for foreign affairs. I think McCain will take a harder stance than Obama will and ultimately, though it isn't as politically favorable, it will better the security of the United States.

Trakdown

Mandark said:
Reasonable people can disagree but not all disagreements are reasonable.

Anyone supporting the Republican party in its current incarnation, unless they have a vested financial interest in its fiscal policies, is either uninformed or flat out wrong.

I don't know how anybody could have a vested interest in their fiscal policies since I can't seem to discover what the fuck those policies are, and lord knows I've tried. The media isn't helping things- I saw this weeks USA Today, and the front page was singing the praise of Palin's fight against Big Oil. I'm not sure how you can call her fight a success, what with Exxon racking up the biggest profits in American industrial history and Gas still way, way too high, but there's the narrative.

So, what I get is that under their government, things go to shit, but they register objections to them going to shit.

laserbeam

Banned
Trakdown said:
I don't know how anybody could have a vested interest in their fiscal policies since I can't seem to discover what the fuck those policies are, and lord knows I've tried. The media isn't helping things- I saw this weeks USA Today, and the front page was singing the praise of Palin's fight against Big Oil. I'm not sure how you can call her fight a success, what with Exxon racking up the biggest profits in American industrial history and Gas still way, way too high, but there's the narrative.

So, what I get is that under their government, things go to shit, but they register objections to them going to shit.

25% tax on their profits is a pretty big thing she pushed through with the State Legislature.

Funny thing is the Oil Companies all bitched and moaned and bluffed saying they were all gonna have to leave to find cheaper area's to work if they pushed the tax through.

They had their bluff called and now they pay a big tax. They can reduce the tax by effectively showing they are investing in infrastructure,research and development etc but generally they are paying an extra 800-900 Million a year with the new tax

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Trakdown said:
I don't know how anybody could have a vested interest in their fiscal policies since I can't seem to discover what the fuck those policies are, and lord knows I've tried.

Have you clicked the link? It's quite elucidating.

kevm3

devilhawk said:
First, I am not a party line republican by any stretch. However, I may be one of the most reasonable conservatives here. Mostly I just try and pose a somewhat rational opposition to try and break up the monotony.

As far as foreign policy goes: I believe we are at a crossroads. Foreign policy has crept into everything we do domestically. The economy is increasingly tied with the foreign affairs. I believe that McCain and Obama have similar plans for foreign affairs. I think McCain will take a harder stance than Obama will and ultimately, though it isn't as politically favorable, it will better the security of the United States.

It's always good to hear from opposing viewpoints. If one opens their mind to the 'opposition' it ultimately makes for a better decision. I'm not here to ridicule. I am just curious. I want to have some real discourse, and ultimately, we'll all be the better off from having a deeper understanding of the issues.

My case for Obama on foreign relations is that he has the charisma and fundamental understanding of the issues to make a well thought out choice. He got 200,000 Germans together to hear him speak. I'm confident he can work with our European allies to strengthen relationships, and this is crucial in increasingly more turbulent times.

McCain did well on the surge call and I agree with McCain in that we shouldn't be too hasty to retreat. On the other hand, I feel that Obama is correct in that we should start shifting responsibilities back to the Iraqis and create a timetable.

Also, Obama is backed by a vice president who has a lot of experience in foreign affairs, so he will be getting a solid and sometimes opposing viewpoint when he has to make tough decisions.

Banned
Trakdown said:

I think you should read that piece. From what I've heard(and this is with very little research) she imposed more taxes on oil companies and the checks she will be sending to Alaskan citizens are based off the extra revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom