• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Hitokage said:
The thing is, bailout or no bailout the people responsible will still walk with millions in their pockets.

Yes, private companies should be forbidden from paying their employees except by a government approved scale of success.

Xisiqomelir

Gaborn said:
Yes, private companies should be forbidden from paying their employees except by a government approved scale of success.

....but if they crash and burn, quickly prop them up with taxpayer dollars?

Gaborn

Xisiqomelir said:
....but if they crash and burn, quickly prop them up with taxpayer dollars?

No, I think they should be allowed to crash and burn if they fail. I'm a libertarian, not a Republican.

GhaleonEB

IIRC, part of the legislation allowing for takeovers like this allows for the government to nip the compensation packages of executives. If they are using taxpayer dollars to do it, I don't see an argument against it.

Gaborn said:
No, I think they should be allowed to crash and burn if they fail. I'm a libertarian, not a Republican.

Look, if Mr. CEO helps maintain a level of profitability then fine. Let him have his payday.

But FUCK taxpayer severance packages for the asshats at the very top of the turmoil.

Palin Backstab? Commissioner Praised Then Fired

Exclusive Video Shows Sarah Palin Praising Commissioner, Just Months Before She Fired Him

Advocates for women's issues in Alaska have come to the defense of the state's former public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, abruptly fired by Governor Sarah Palin in July.
Adblock
An inquiry is under way as to whether Sarah Palin abused her power as governor.

Monegan spent Wednesday testifying before a legislative commission which is investigating allegations Palin abused her office in firing him. Monegan claims he was dismissed because he resisted pressure from the Governor and her office to fire the Governor's former brother-in-law.

Some women's advocates say Monegan was one of the few state officials to take seriously the "epidemic" problem of violence against women and children in Alaska.

"I don't believe Gov. Palin has made this a priority," said Geran Tarr, co-chair of the Alaska Women's Lobby. "We have not seen Gov. Palin do anything that would indicate this is a priority."

Fictional Sarah Palin conversation with an old Alaskan State Gov't colleague...

Sarah Palin said:
What was that name you guys used to have for me in the Public Safety commission?

Public Safety Employee said:
ummm I dunno

Sarah Palin said:
SAY IT!!! SAY IT!!!!!
lololol

Gaborn

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Look, if Mr. CEO helps maintain a level of profitability then fine. Let him have his payday.

But FUCK taxpayer severance packages for the asshats at the very top of the turmoil.

I don't think taxpayers should have to pay any sort of severance package or any money to a private company's employee. However, I don't object to a private company doing so, regardless of whether a CEO is successful or not.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
My brother keeps arguing with me over this, so let me see if I got this right...

According to him, Obama will raise taxes (he constantly has amnesia in regards to me telling him about Obama only raising it for the 250,000+ earners) and increase government spending. This is apparently bad to him, since were in some serious debt as it is. No matter that we kind of need money from taxpayers to pay off this stuff in the first place.

Now Mccain, according to him, will cut taxes and government spending....my question is, where does Mccain get the money then? What's he gonna cut that we don't already need? How would this plan be effective in anyway?

Xisiqomelir

Gaborn said:
I don't think taxpayers should have to pay any sort of severance package or any money to a private company's employee. However, I don't object to a private company doing so, regardless of whether a CEO is successful or not.

Where is an illiquid company going to scrounge up millions in golden parachute funds?

Gaborn, you don't think people's outrage over this is simply because of the executive compensation, do you? Blackstone's Schwarzman paid himself $400 million last year, literally hundreds of times more than the AIG and Lehman CEOs. But we're not talking about him, because he didn't fuck up.

Gaborn said:

So if Mr./Mrs. CEO of AIG walks off with $X millions from all this are ok with it? Knowing that we are now in on 80% of AIG means that the public has become majority shareholders, no?

So you down with rewarding this guy/gal?

Juice

SpeedingUptoStop said:
My brother keeps arguing with me over this, so let me see if I got this right...

According to him, Obama will raise taxes (he constantly has amnesia in regards to me telling him about Obama only raising it for the 250,000+ earners) and increase government spending. This is apparently bad to him, since were in some serious debt as it is. No matter that we kind of need money from taxpayers to pay off this stuff in the first place.

Now Mccain, according to him, will cut taxes and government spending....my question is, where does Mccain get the money then? What's he gonna cut that we don't already need? How would this plan be effective in anyway?

Duh, keep borrowing money from China by selling more T-bonds.

The economy is really simple if you just never let yourself imagine paying them back.

Gaborn

Freedom = $1.05 said:
So if Mr. CEO of AIG walks off with $X millions from all this are ok with it? Knowing that we are now in on 80% of AIG means that the public has become majority shareholders, no?

So you down with rewarding this guy/gal?

I'm ok with the CEO of AIG walking off with as much money as the shareholders gave him. I'm not ok with the government buying 80% of the company.

Xisiqomelir - As I said, private companies whether successful or not can behave as they wish, I don't own stock in those companies and I actually pay attention to what companies are doing so I don't condone that behavior.

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:

Tell him that even if Obama tax policies are bad, any positive revenue McCain brings up will be washed away by wars, bankruptcies due to health concerns and a shaky economy discouraging investment aka little trickle down.

Obama policies aren't perfect, but McCain are just wrong. in every damn way, they are wrong.

Chichikov

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Show him GWB's ads from 2000 and 2004 about cutting taxes and ask him how that's working for him.

HOLY SHIT

MSNBC TO BE BOUGHT BY CNN????!?!?!?!

TIMEWARNER CEO Jeffrey Bewkes doesn't know if NBC is for sale, but if GE ever decides put its television and entertainment division on the block, Bewkes will definitely be kicking the tires!

'We have kind of an obligation to look at anything that is out there that, if combined with our company, would produce a clear return for our shareholders," Bewkes tells PORTFOLIO.COM in an exclusive interview.

"The problem with those speculations is that no one ever knows the price at which any of these things would be available."

Bewkes, who will soon have at least $9 billion to spend from the spinoff of TIMEWARNERCABLE, adds: "Look, everyone speculates about what will happen to all of these media companies, and there's a fair amount of speculation as to whether GE will decide that the NBC UNIVERSAL company benefits from being inside GE or not. To the extent it decides it doesn't, then they have to think of what to do with it."

GE execs "have to decide what's in their interest," Bewkes adds.

"But if they decided not to sell it, they may decide to spin it off, who knows? Anything that comes up, this is true of all the usual suspects, whether it's SCRIPPS or NBC or DISCOVERY, names come up in every sector we're in, and they ask, are we interested in it?"

Developing...

http://drudgereport.com/flashtwn.htm

Dammit Chris Matthews, if you want someone crying out in outrage about all the shit the Bush administration has pulled, listen to your buddy Keith Olbermann. Barack Obama doesn't want to come off as the Angry Black Man stereotype.
artredis1980 said:
HOLY SHIT

MSNBC TO BE BOUGHT BY CNN????!?!?!?!

http://drudgereport.com/flashtwn.htm
760px-Watfaggotry.JPG

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gaborn said:
I'm ok with the CEO of AIG walking off with as much money as the shareholders gave him. I'm not ok with the government buying 80% of the company.

Xisiqomelir - As I said, private companies whether successful or not can behave as they wish, I don't own stock in those companies and I actually pay attention to what companies are doing so I don't condone that behavior.

Shareholders didn't give him shit. If individual shareholders, rather than plans, agencies and brokers actually got to vote on this shit, golden parachutes would be regular silk. CEO compensation is an artifice borne of lethargy and ignorance on the part of shareholders - and collaboration from other corporate entities.

Gaborn said:

So would you be ok if the CEO, at this moment, was issued a many millions of dollars? I'm assuming that you don't care how much CEOs receive if the company isn't being propped up by the US government. But what about now?

Demigod Mac

SpeedingUptoStop said:
raise taxes (he constantly has amnesia in regards to me telling him about Obama only raising it for the 250,000+ earners) and increase government spending.

Show him this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html

GR2008061200193.gif

The Tax Policy Center is a nonpartisan organization and is highly regarded in finance, so he can't scream "LIBRUL MEDIA BIAS" for this one.

He'll get a bigger tax cut from Obama unless he makes a quarter of a million dollars a year.

Gaborn

OuterWorldVoice said:
Shareholders didn't give him shit. If individual shareholders, rather than plans, agencies and brokers actually got to vote on this shit, golden parachutes would be regular silk. CEO compensation is an artifice borne of lethargy and ignorance on the part of shareholders - and collaboration from other corporate entities.

Same principle really, shareholders control a stake in the company. If they don't like what the company is doing they're free to sell their stock and get rid of the risk. If they choose not to then they're essentially endorsing it. Kind of like with sports teams. Coming from Michigan I'm a fan of all of our sports teams, including the Lions. However, as long as Millen is the GM I refuse to go to Lions games or give the team my money.

Freedom - It's not my company, why should I care what some other business does? Would you care if Bill Gates randomly walked up to a person on the street and gave them a million dollars? And again, I opposed the company being bailed out by the government, the government should immediately sell it's shares.

Drek

Gaborn said:

So you'd be ok with AIG being left to collapse, and with it basically the entire world market?

I love how suddenly there are no Republicans, just Libertarians, and how strongly they cling to the "no regulation!" myth when we're now looking at a SECOND depression in a hundred year period caused by laissez faire economic policies.

I still contend that this is a very historically predictable election. Bush 43 is obviously the second coming of Warren G. Harding, Tea Pot Dome levels of scandal and all. I used to think McCain was a Coolidge, someone who would muddle through and just make people feel good because he isn't as bad as the previous dope. Now I'm beginning to think he's more a Hoover type though, with just how shitty his economic concepts really are.

Obama is, to me, the second coming of FDR (minus the Japanese-American concentration camps). He proposes a "New Deal" for the American people, massive infrastructure overhauls, and the appropriate checks and balances on our financial sectors to keep the average American safe.

I just hope we don't need two more failed presidents to follow GWB before we finally elect FDR like Americans did last time.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AIG cant collapse.

Lehman shoudlnt have been allowed to collapse.

I dont like the idea of nationalizing AIG though. I mean, holy shit. Thats gigantic, but who can take them over? They are too big.

Just fucking divide them up or something.

Fuck me if AIG goes under we are so fucked it could take us 10 years to get out of this.

Gaborn

Drek said:
So you'd be ok with AIG being left to collapse, and with it basically the entire world market?

Yes. This current crisis is further proof the federal reserve system is fundamentally flawed and unsustainable. Economies don't respond well to creating a series of bubbles in different sectors of the economy. Eventually the economy seeks an equilibrium and that's what we see here.

Gaborn said:
But here is the problem. US Corporations are de facto Soviet style Politburos. There are shareholders and the shareholders elect the board . . . but the honest truth is that the only people elected to the boards are the executives and the executives cronies. Corporate elections are generally just a huge joke. There is little to no accountability within them so the execs tend to abuse them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gaborn said:
Same principle really, shareholders control a stake in the company. If they don't like what the company is doing they're free to sell their stock and get rid of the risk. .

You're missing the point - without regulation, this kind of ignorance and apathy is institutionalized and desirable to corporations. Expecting the consumer to understand what a financial product contains is like expecting a car driver to understand how his camshaft is engineered.

lopaz

Banned
Drek said:

I love how suddenly there are no Republicans, just Libertarians, and how strongly they cling to the "no regulation!" myth when we're now looking at a SECOND depression in a hundred year period caused by laissez faire economic policies.

They're not denying it can cause economic collapse (I think), they just don't care because "rights of individuals" reigns supreme over having a functioning society.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
speculawyer said:
But here is the problem. US Corporations are de facto Soviet style Politburos. There are shareholders and the shareholders elect the board . . . but the honest truth is that the only people elected to the boards are the executives and the executives cronies. Corporate elections are generally just a huge joke. There is little to no accountability within them so the execs tend to abuse them.
Not to mention voting power is allotted to how much of a stake you have in a company(read: cash you have), which rarely give the common disorganized shareholder any real power.

ronito

Gaborn said:
Yes. This current crisis is further proof the federal reserve system is fundamentally flawed and unsustainable. Economies don't respond well to creating a series of bubbles in different sectors of the economy. Eventually the economy seeks an equilibrium and that's what we see here.
I'll agree the Fed has certainly helped. But let's be realistic here, corporations created just a many, if not more bubbles. Leaving them to do what they will, will only create more. History easily shows us this time and time again.

Gaborn

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're missing the point - without regulation, this kind of ignorance and apathy is institutionalized and desirable to corporations. Expecting the consumer to understand what a financial product contains is like expecting a car driver to understand how his camshaft is engineered.

You're missing the point actually. With regulation and the safety net of the government willing to bail out a company and with the federal reserve injecting large amounts of cash into the economy devaluing the dollar for decades there is an increasing endorsement of risk taking by the government. What needs to happen is the companies that take risks be forced to actually feel the consequences of them so in the future more responsible companies don't make the same mistakes.

Ronito - that's actually why I believe these companies shouldn't be bailed out as well. As I said, businesses need to learn that risk taking is actually RISKY and has consequences. Perhaps the next round of companies will be more responsible and risk averse.

Gaborn said:
Same principle really, shareholders control a stake in the company. If they don't like what the company is doing they're free to sell their stock and get rid of the risk. If they choose not to then they're essentially endorsing it. Kind of like with sports teams. Coming from Michigan I'm a fan of all of our sports teams, including the Lions. However, as long as Millen is the GM I refuse to go to Lions games or give the team my money.

Freedom - It's not my company, why should I care what some other business does? Would you care if Bill Gates randomly walked up to a person on the street and gave them a million dollars? And again, I opposed the company being bailed out by the government, the government should immediately sell it's shares.
Well who gives a fuck about the shareholders . . . AIG is an insurance company . . . what happens to all those policy holders?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The point you and other libertarians never seem to understand is that this is a market upon which most other markets rest upon. When Disney Corp. fails, we won't get Mickey Mouse anymore, but when a bank or other financial institution fails, other things fall with it.

Fatalah

I just got forwarded that Palin chain e-mail, the one that has all those comic strips with her bringing the Republicans back from the dead.

It bothers me that the person sending it to me would think I'd enjoy all those pro-Palin cartoons.

Can we put together our own Palin e-mail?! You too may find the pro-Palin e-mail in your inbox one day. We need to fire back!

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
Well who gives a fuck about the shareholders . . . AIG is an insurance company . . . what happens to all those policy holders?

Perhaps they shouldn't have put their money into a bad company that was irresponsible with their money?

Hito - We realize it, we just understand sometimes it's better to cut off an arm to save the individual.

Hitokage said:
Not to mention voting power is allotted to how much of a stake you have in a company(read: cash you have), which rarely give the common disorganized shareholder any real power.
Well . . . the voting power should be proportional to ownership. However, you bring up another huge issue. Organization. It is nearly impossible for shareholders to organize at all since they don't know who each other are. And that is the way the corporation executives like it. It prevents the shareholders from becoming 'uppity'. :D

Dram

GOP group behind negative Obama poll targeting Jewish community

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13516.html

A Republican group is taking responsibility for a poll that has roiled the Jewish community by asking sharply negative questions about Senator Barack Obama.

The Republican Jewish Coalition, which is launching a campaign against Obama on behalf of Senator John McCain, sponsored the poll to "understand why Barack Obama continues to have a problem among Jewish voters," the group's executive director, Matt Brooks, told Politico.

The poll asked voters their response to negative statements about Obama, including reported praise for him from a leader of the Palestinian terror group Hamas and a friendship early in his career with a pro-Palestinian university professor. Some Jewish Democrats who received the poll – including a New Republic writer who lives in Michigan – were outraged by the poll, describing it in interviews as "ugly" and disturbing. A group that supports Obama, the Jewish Council for Education and Research http://www.jewsvote.org even staged a protest outside the Manhattan call center from which the calls originated Tuesday.

"If the RJC is responsible for these calls, which are designed to frighten Jews and sow mistrust, they have forfeited their place at the Jewish table," said the co-executive director of the group, Mik Moore. "It is incumbent upon the McCain campaign to speak out forcefully against this and ongoing efforts by his supporters to scare Jews into supporting his candidacy."

Brooks, however, denied that the poll was meant to influence Jewish voters, and said it was a traditional poll meant to gauge the opinions of Jewish voters.

"What we did is test, in standard polling methodology, a number of factual issues that have been reported on in the press and are policy positions to see how they're resonating in the Jewish community," said Brooks. "The notion that this is a 'push poll' is offensive to us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom