• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
Palin is giving the kind of lift, energy, shock, attention, interest, etc. that Hillary would've afforded Obama. He chose against it (can't blame him, really), and McCain pounced.

Now McCain has the controversial/exciting ticket, and Obama has............Joe Biden. Seriously, if Obama had picked Hillary, McCain couldn't have responded with Palin. He would've had to go with Mitt or Pawlenty and he'd be getting crushed right now in polls. No way Romney or Pawlenty would've energized the Republicans in this way.

I still think Obama will pull this out, but if he doesn't, we can safely point to the last two weeks as the beginning of the end.

Agreed 100%. Picking Hillary might have been a bitter pill, but it would have guaranteed a win in November, and that's all that really matters.

Still, Obama's entire campaign has been masterfully run. I have to think they know what they're doing. If they can win without Hillary, more power to them. At least Biden locks up PA.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ether_Snake said:
Here's a question Obama could ask to McCain to make him lose the debate (will they get to ask each other their own questions?):

Obama: What is a recession?

McCain: ...

Have you ever seen a debate before? They're not going to be asking each other questions like that, that's just stupid.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Very good point; right after he got back from Europe his numbers went down again, etc. By the time the debates get here things will be back to normal, ie tie or Obama +1 or +2.

Plus Palin is going to be in hiding for a week or two starting this week.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Rlan said:
I don't see why pundits aren't putting "Alaska is close to Russia" with "Palin has only been out of the country once" together to get that stupid talking point off the campaign.

Maybe I've been playing too much Phoenix Wright. "HOLD IT! OBJECTION! EVIDENCE!"
Gary Whitta said:
How shallow am I for choosing CNN for my political coverage because it's the only rolling news station that I get in HD? :D
Listening to techno and watching both your avatars is hypnotizing, btw.

just wanted to get that out there.

Tamanon said:

That's the thng though.

She won't be in hiding at all.

She'll be all over the place.

She just won't be addressing the media.

Very different than disappearing.

Tamanon

Banned
Chrono said:
The fuck? Dawkins is a republican?

I'm thinking of someone else, there was a prominent atheist Republican, he was a big proponent of the Iraq War. I get all of them mixed up.

No, Ryutaro, she's going back to Alaska to bone up on everything for a week or two, they've already announced that she's going to be sequestered to learn things, not campaigning.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WickedAngel said:
It's incredible how confident you can be while being so wrong. Have you actually done any research into what you're saying or are you simply spouting off the talking points of the first person you heard when this argument was originally presented to you.

It's apparent to me that you've never looked at a single document that presented statistics on this matter, judging by the part in bold. Over the past few decades, rifles have accounted for an average of 3% of the guns that were used in violent crimes. That includes all rifles (Not just semi-automatic assault rifles).

That's cute. I guess I can't blame you; if I didn't have any facts, I'd try to make this a racial issue to shroud my ignorance on the subject at hand.

Sorry to drag this up again, but you can't or won't fucking read. I said semi and fully automatic weapons increased "innocent bystander" deaths. I mentioned rifles once - and specified a case - the LAPD versus the "Heat" bank robbers. It's incredible how confident you can be while being so wrong.

And again, I support sensible, well regulated gun ownership by law abiding citizens. So next time you argue - that's what you're arguing against.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
VanMardigan said:
Have you ever seen a debate before? They're not going to be asking each other questions like that, that's just stupid.

They should at least for one round>:|

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tamanon said:

I doubt she ends up being "in hiding" for more than a couple days. She is basically the reason McCain is getting nice crowds, and the McCain camp has already changed its mind once about campaigning separately. They'll milk her momentum as long as possible.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tyrone Slothrop said:
good for him, though. he could;ve picked clinton or governer sebelious and coasted to november without a worry. but instead he picked his vp based on who'd be the best vp.

I think either Sebelius or Clinton would've made a very competent VP. Considering we simply can't afford four more years of incompetence, what is ultimately more important, personal rapport, or pushing your agenda into the white house?

Tamanon said:

Hell imo the Gibson underhand softball interview doesn't even count. She's on a Malcolm X shut-the-fuck-up-for-60-days plan and no one can deny it. Eventually the media will start asking questions

deadbeef

Tyrone Slothrop said:
good for him, though. he could;ve picked clinton or governer sebelious and coasted to november without a worry. but instead he picked his vp based on who'd be the best vp.

I think this is a little bit naive. Obama seems to be first and foremost an excellent politician, which leads me to believe that the Biden pick was seen to be politically the best move.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
ryutaro's mama said:
For anyone who has a sliver of doubt that this "interview" will be BS, re-visit yoopoo's post:

This is the horse's mouth.

I like how he gets a jab in there about Obama's campaign giving no access to the press.. must be nice being these shills, you never really have to worry if what you're gonna say has any basis in fact or not. You just say whatever the fuck you feel like saying.

And that 'hasn't been to another country in our hemisphere' line is golden. Oh, the mental twists they have to make.

Zeliard

Gary Whitta said:
Full props to Olbermann for that.

I agree, that was really great. And if that is the reason he's off the election coverage when debates start (if he in fact is), well, fuck that. But it's not surprising.

and then it backs to being positive and contributing for a hopeful win for Obama in two months.

Liberals and gaffers always like to turn on each other once the going gets tough. Because it's easier to bitch and whine instead of actively doing something positive. This whole forum was in fantasy land all year imo that electing a black Democrat against a war veteran was going to be some easy cakewalk. It never was. Even I got caught in the flurry and adopted that viewpoint against my better judgment but my eyes have been opened since before the conventions. This is going to be a tough hard fight to win the presidency and whining about why didn't he pick Hillary or Obama needs to be tougher I'm sure will be the mantra for the next two months on an on going basis for a group of whiners.

Instead of whining about it why don't you actively do something. Volunteer. Talk to friends. Stay positive. Keep a realistic opinion about the whole thing. Don't refer to people who disagree with you as morons. You catch more flies with honey and when you respect a differing opinion and the best free advertisment for a campaign is always motivated people who support that candidate. This is why Republicans always win. Because they understand that to really implement change (no matter how disasterous) you have to win. So why not adopt that same positive attitude and combine it with Obama's message. That seems like the right approach. I'm not overly freaking out about the polls. Honestly I think the odds are about a coin flip now so there is a lot of work to be done from both Obama and Biden and people who support both candidates.

But before that happens, I'm off to play some COD 4 ;)

VanMardigan said:
I think either Sebelius or Clinton would've made a very competent VP. Considering we simply can't afford four more years of incompetence, what is ultimately more important, personal rapport, or pushing your agenda into the white house?

IMO it didn't have much to do with rapport.

biden was easily the most qualified out of all the vp candidates they were vetting

OuterWorldVoice said:
Sorry to drag this up again, but you can't or won't fucking read. I said semi and fully automatic weapons increased "innocent bystander" deaths. I mentioned rifles once - and specified a case - the LAPD versus the "Heat" bank robbers. It's incredible how confident you can be while being so wrong.

And again, I support sensible, well regulated gun ownership by law abiding citizens. So next time you argue - that's what you're arguing against.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what you're responding to since I was clearly speaking of assault rifles and the act of banning them before you responded to me. You should also try to avoid stating the obvious in that there isn't a single person in here (Aside from maybe JayDub) who has suggested that automatic weapons ever be legal.

The percentage of firearms used in violent crimes are still ridiculously low (Practically inconsequential) in the face of the number of gun owners that exist in America. You responded to me by criticizing an argument that I never made; I never suggested that gun control is a poor concept. Regulations != Sweeping Bans

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Tamanon said:
I'm thinking of someone else, there was a prominent atheist Republican, he was a big proponent of the Iraq War. I get all of them mixed up.
Christopher Hitchens is who you're thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

200px-Christopher_Hitchens_crop.jpg

gkryhewy

deadbeef said:
I think this is a little bit naive. Obama seems to be first and foremost an excellent politician, which leads me to believe that the Biden pick was seen to be politically the best move.

I think Biden is a very effective "bottom up" sort of pick. He gives enough fiery populist stump speeches that generate a lot of buzz locally, and could make a big difference in battleground areas.

Plus his more visible attack-dog role in the national media - he's a very good pick.

Tyrone Slothrop said:

No.

Sebillious would have further enraged the Hillary base and the GOP would have accused the Obama camp for attempting to pander to the Hillary base w/o choosing her.
Ironic, ain't it?

And Hillary makes no sense as Obama would have been overshadowed on his own ticket, much like Palin is overshadowing McCain.

But in that scenario, I'm not sure it would be favorable to Obama like it is to McCain.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
VanMardigan said:

I fully and completely understand the reasoning at the time behind the Biden pick. McCain was expected to pick some old white guy. Obama's campaign already knew Obama was the 'riskier' candidate for people to vote for. Some people can swallow some change, but not 'too much' change, and having an african american and a woman on the same ticket may have fallen under the 2nd category. Also, Hillary was widely seen as someone who would energize the republicans to vote against her. Biden was to provide 'safety' and 'security' to the ticket in alot of people's minds, to reassure them that they could vote for this guy, as well as cover the experience angle. Its easy to say things in retrospect, but Hillary/Sebellius would have had their own issues.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WickedAngel said:
Perhaps you should pay attention to what you're responding to since I was clearly speaking of assault rifles and the act of banning them before you responded to me. You should also try to avoid stating the obvious in that there isn't a single person in here (Aside from maybe JayDub) who has suggested that automatic weapons ever be legal.

The percentage of firearms used in violent crimes are still ridiculously low (Practically inconsequential) in the face of the number of gun owners that exist in America. You responded to me by criticizing an argument that I never made; I never suggested that gun control is a poor concept. Regulations != Sweeping Bans

I only mentioned rifles once. In the post you responded to. I stand by my RAAAAAAGE, but accept that you're a reasonable person who has reasonable ideas about gun control. I hope you have a great Sunday and that you don't vote for McCain. Further, I hope your NFL team of choice won and didn't suck a dong, like mine. the Seahawks.

Zeliard

gkrykewy said:
I think Biden is a very effective "bottom up" sort of pick. He gives enough fiery populist stump speeches that generate a lot of buzz locally, and could make a big difference in battleground areas.

Plus his more visible attack-dog role in the national media - he's a very good pick.

The problem is the media coverage. Biden gave a tremendous speech recently where he railed against Bush and Palin in a very effective manner, but I don't really think it got any real coverage.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Gary Whitta said:
How shallow am I for choosing CNN for my political coverage because it's the only rolling news station that I get in HD? :D

I have been watching CNN because that Campbell Brown is really something.

gkryhewy

Zeliard said:
The problem is the media coverage. Biden gave a tremendous speech recently where he railed against Bush and Palin in a very effective manner, but I don't really think it got any real coverage.

But it got buzz locally - that's what I mean. As he keeps doing it, it'll get a bit more coverage. Rolling thunder sort of thing :lol , but I think it's consistent with the entire Obama operation.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
schuelma said:
I think if Obama had any idea that McCain was going to largely drop the experience meme and try and co-opt the "change/reformer" theme, he wouldn't have picked Biden.
I sure as hell hope he wouldn't have picked someone other than Biden simply for the sake of expedience in stealing the limelight from McCain. That's the kind of decisions I'd like to see an end of.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think if you want to win you have to flood the channels with lies lies lies lies lies and whatever you feel like saying or whatever you want to make up about the other candidate. No one is going to press pause for the whole country, go fact-check, and come back with the evidence. Everything goes very fast.

You can say McCain voted against blood transfusions for wounded Katrina victims due to religious reasons or whatever. No matter how fucking ridiculous it is no one will verify:p Now imagine if all Obama supporters did that.

That's what the Republicans do, it works pretty well, but Obama supporters have made a better use of the communication channels (other than TV of course, it's private) so it could be an easy win, it just takes dedication.

Stealing those flags from the DNC was a pretty smart move you know.

Of course that Obama Rolled thing is pretty funny, but that should be just one layer, the funny layer. On top of that you need to lie a lot and quickly, all the time, all over the place.

But you won't do that:p

Stoney Mason said:
and then it backs to being positive and contributing for a hopeful win for Obama in two months.

Liberals and gaffers always like to turn on each other once the going gets tough. Because it's easier to bitch and whine instead of actively doing something positive. This whole forum was in fantasy land all year imo that electing a black Democrat against a war veteran was going to be some easy catwalk. It never was. Even I got caught in the flurry and adopted that viewpoint against my better judgment but my eyes have been opened since before the conventions. This is going to be a tough hard fight to win the presidency and whining about why didn't he pick Hillary or Obama needs to be tougher I'm sure will be the mantra for the next two months on an on going basis for a group of whiners.

Instead of whining about it why don't you actively do something. Volunteer. Talk to friends. Stay positive. Keep a realistic opinion about the whole thing. Don't refer to people who disagree with you as morons. You catch more flies with honey and when you respect a differing opinion and the best free advertisment for a campaign is always motivated people who support that candidate. This is why Republicans always win. Because they understand that to really implement change (no matter how disasterous) you have to win. So why not adopt that same positive attitude and combine it with Obama's message. That seems like the right approach. I'm not overly freaking out about the polls. Honestly I think the odds are about a coin flip now so there is a lot of work to be done from both Obama and Biden and people who support both candidates.

But before that happens, I'm off to play some COD 4 ;)

Agreed 100%.

I remember like 2 weeks ago "23% of all Hillary Supporters say they'll vote for McCain" was the BIG story.

I haven't heard Hillary & Supporters mentioned in the same sentence for atleast a week!!!

Anyways,here's Biden on Meet the Press earlier today. It's split up into 4 parts. Got a little testy. Obama obviously made the right choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cILiw8mIUsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDanBpj298s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8pmyP0N4RY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3_mATe3uY

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
I think if you want to win you have to flood the channels with lies lies lies lies lies and whatever you feel like saying or whatever you want to make up about the other candidate. No one is going to press pause for the whole country, go fact-check, and come back with the evidence. Everything goes very fast.

You can say McCain voted against blood transfusions for wounded Katrina victims due to religious reasons or whatever. No matter how fucking ridiculous it is no one will verify:p Now imagine if all Obama supporters did that.

That's what the Republicans do, it works pretty well, but Obama supporters have made a better use of the communication channels (other than TV of course, it's private) so it could be an easy win, it just takes dedication.

Stealing those flags from the DNC was a pretty smart move you know.

Of course that Obama Rolled thing is pretty funny, but that should be just one layer, the funny layer. On top of that you need to lie a lot and quickly, all the time, all over the place.

But you won't do that:p

All of the things you think and say are crazy.

PhoenixDark said:
Doubtful. They're being punished for their embarrassing on air antics recently.

I love Chris but fuck Olberman

I don't really care for either and stopped watching MSNBC due to both for the most part.

Sadly I'm off two minds on that whole issue. It bugs me that MSNBC is getting flack for being too liberal when on Fox it's just an accepted bias.

On the other hand like I said, the journalistic side of me just doesn't like those two and how they frame issues.

But then Gregory and Andrea Mitchell aren't a big step up either imo.

Stoney Mason said:
I don't really care for either and stopped watching MSNBC due to both for the most part.

Sadly I'm off two minds on that whole issue. It bugs me that MSNBC is getting flack for being too liberal when on Fox it's just an accepted bias.

On the other hand like I said, the journalistic side of me just doesn't like those two and how they frame issues.

But then Gregory and Andrea Mitchell aren't a big step up either imo.

Chris does a better job hiding his bias but he usually seems more interested in the more romantic aspect of politics than any substantial discussion, although when he does discuss meaty topics he does a good job. Olberman is a disgrace, but I'm sure everyone disagrees with my disdain for his emotional bullshit.

Lets see how Gregory does. He kinda strikes me as a blank slate but now that he's in the big seat who knows. It's not like the anchors set the agenda/narrative anyway though

Zeliard

PhoenixDark said:
Chris does a better job hiding his bias but he usually seems more interested in the more romantic aspect of politics than any substantial discussion, although when he does discuss meaty topics he does a good job. Olberman is a disgrace, but I'm sure everyone disagrees with my disdain for his emotional bullshit.

You didn't like his response to the RNC's 9/11 video?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kaching said:
...because then you might as well vote for McCain.

Well enjoy getting swift boated again! Hope for you it won't be another 4 years, which really means another 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom