• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As I said before, Obama isn't stupid or naive. He knew public financing as it is currently implemented would have been a trap for him.

Aaron

Basch said:
McCain understands the military more so than Bush. That alone ensures it will not be the same. Palin has great energy policies and has experience with budgeting government programs.
What?!? She sunk a town of less than 9,000 $20 million in debt. She drove a state run dairy into the ground so she could sell the equipment to a friend. She has an insane amount of earmarks in a state that gets huge boons from the oil companies. She diverted funds from the 'bridge of nowhere' to fund other projects...

Her kind of experience is worse than no experience at all.

NewLib

Banned
Zeliard said:
Are you seriously not aware that McCain said he would vote against his own immigration bill after he started campaigning? He was roundly criticized for it.

You know Im not a big McCain fan anymore, but in his defense (atleast at the start) he admitted to it and said the reason was because the country as a far majority disagreed with him and he was on the wrong side.

Im not saying if this was genuine or not and I am definitely not saying he is like this and not a complete blowhard. But would you rather have a public official continually spit in the face of public opinion or one who says "I was wrong according to you guys so I will support the alternative."

Consistency is overrated and not a politicians real job. Representing his constituents is.

smurfx

get some go again
alright i filled out the form online so i can get registered to vote. i didn't think i would register to vote but screw this i'm voting for obama even though he will probably win california without my vote but i want to make my voice known! :D

Rugasuki

This is a main link on the front page of McCain's website.

https://secure.donationreport.com/donation.html?key=I9LBRJ70SNSH

Their page still accepts donations just not under the normal campaign standard. Notice you can donate more than $2300?

It does say they are limited in how they can use the money but I like how their legalize has a grammatical error.

"Because the McCain-Palin Campaign is participating in the presidential public funding system, it may not receive contributions for the any candidate's election."

NewLib said:
You know Im not a big McCain fan anymore, but in his defense (atleast at the start) he admitted to it and said the reason was because the country as a far majority disagreed with him and he was on the wrong side.

Im not saying if this was genuine or not and I am definitely not saying he is like this and not a complete blowhard. But would you rather have a public official continually spit in the face of public opinion or one who says "I was wrong according to you guys so I will support the alternative."

Consistency is overrated and not a politicians real job. Representing his constituents is.

It's not about consistency. More like he didn't show good judgment and he didn't listen to his constituents before he took action.

Cloudy

Banned
smurfx said:
alright i filled out the form online so i can get registered to vote. i didn't think i would register to vote but screw this i'm voting for obama even though he will probably win california without my vote but i want to make my voice known! :D

Good job. Don't take anything for granted!

NewLib

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
It's not about consistency. More like he didn't show good judgment and he didn't listen to his constituents before he took action.

And he admitted it and said he was wrong. What really else do you want from him? There are many reasons to hate John McCain, but is changing his opinion to one that most of his constituents agree with really one?

giga

smurfx said:
at least your states helps the cause. I'm in ATL (and i know ATL is all obama), but damn georgia is deep south conservative.

NewLib said:
But would you rather have a public official continually spit in the face of public opinion or one who says "I was wrong according to you guys so I will support the alternative."

We all made that argument in 2004 and were told Kerry was an unpatriotic flip-flopper.

Zeliard

NewLib said:

That would be fine if it's something he actually believed, but I think it's pretty clear he bent solely to the will of his party (not the country). McCain was quite unpopular with his base during that time, and his immigration bill was a big reason why.

NewLib

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
We all made that argument in 2004 and were told Kerry was an unpatriotic flip-flopper.

So? Whats your point? Doesn't make the position any less right. Is it good enough to sacrifice what you know to argue against someone getting elected? If it is, Bravo. You are the problem.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BoboBrazil said:
Atleast he will win your state. I'm in Texas and Obama has no chance at all of winning here...
Even if there's nothing down-ticket, use your vote to volunteer a census data point for people looking at the election map in 2010 and 2012. Oh, and speaking of 2010, that election will be just as important as this year's election because of redistricting.

NewLib

Banned
Zeliard said:
That would be fine if it's something he actually believed, but I think it's pretty clear he bent solely to the will of his party (not the country). McCain was quite unpopular with his base during that time, and his immigration bill was a big reason why.

Who cares about what he believes. That is not his job. His job is to represent the people who are in his area. What he believes shouldn't be an issue. What his actions are the issues.

I don't care if someone is Pro-Life or Pro-Choice deep down. I care about how they vote now. Do I care if my CEO doesn't believe in some of the decisions the board passes down? No, I care if he can enact them anyway and get the job done.

Beliefs has no place in the world of public representation.

NewLib said:
And he admitted it and said he was wrong. What really else do you want from him? There are many reasons to hate John McCain, but is changing his opinion to one that most of his constituents agree with really one?

It reflects in his decision making. I would hope that he would have seeked the opinion of his constituency, you know, before he made up his mind what was best for them.

NewLib said:
So? Whats your point? Doesn't make the position any less right. Is it good enough to sacrifice what you know to argue against someone getting elected? If it is, Bravo. You are the problem.

My point is

A.) One side argues one thing and does another.
B.) He flops on the wrong issues. Stay with a reasonable immigration bill. Drop the war at all costs platform.

mozfan12

Banned
was it just me, or was Mcain speaking in a very belittling tone, almost as he tried to dumb down his speech to the point where he sounded like a kindergarden teacher telling her students that something is wrong and something is good.

NewLib

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
My point is

A.) One side argues one thing and does another.
B.) He flops on the wrong issues. Stay with a reasonable immigration bill. Drop the war at all costs platform.

No the problem is there is no right or wrong stance on 99.9% of issues. There are things I believe in and I will argue for as because I am a citizen and I have that right. However, its not the politican's job to fight for the RIGHT choice. He is there to represent. Its his job to reflect what the majority want. It doesn't matter if its right or not.

And I know this leads to tons of bad examples, but Im saying thats society's problem not the politician's. He has one function. Representation.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ronito said:
Oh my. look Minus asked for facts proving him wrong. Facts posted. He gone!
I linked the proof in his tag to assist him in any future queries.

Duke Togo said:
What was the context of that 9/11 video they showed? Or was there any?
Any time's a good time for 9/11!
10dzi34.jpg

NewLib said:
No the problem is there is no right or wrong stance on 99.9% of issues. There are things I believe in and I will argue for as because I am a citizen and I have that right. However, its not the politican's job to fight for the RIGHT choice. He is there to represent. Its his job to reflect what the majority want. It doesn't matter if its right or not.

And I know this leads to tons of bad examples, but Im saying thats society's problem not the politician's. He has one function. Representation.

Then if he's flipping every position to match Republican orthdoxy then he shouldn't call himself a Maverick. If he is flipping every position to match whatever the republican base wants reflected in polling data then he shouldn't call himself a reformer or a maverick. Because that is the oppsite of that.

subrock

I think it was a campaign thesis or something. cant confirm where it came from but I heard it was part of the RNC... in the youtube description "This "tribute" which served to only throw fear into the political discourse and frighten voters was shown at the 2008 Republican National Convention. Keith Olbermann spoke for many of us at the sickening images used for political gain. "

Jak140

subrock said:

I heard this on the radio driving home from work and I started shouting at my radio because I was so disgusted. Seeing the video brings it to a whole new level of exploitation. This RNC has been beyond shameless in it's fear mongering and talking down to the American people. I'm just in awe that they have the gall to use such images for political gain, I don't know what to say or do beyond that except to hope that the American public has learned something in the last 4 years and won't fall victim to the same playbook again.

NewLib

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Then if he's flipping every position to match Republican orthdoxy then he shouldn't call himself a Maverick. If he is flipping every position to match whatever the republican base wants reflects in polling data then he shouldn't call himself a Maverick and a reformer. Because that is the oppsite of that.

Im not arguing that. I agree he isnt a Maverick. But being a Maverick has no place in politics, unless you are talking about being a Maverick by fighting what the people want.

You take what I am saying is arguing for McCain. No. Fuck him, he doesn't give a shit about the public wants. He just wants to get elected. He doesn't care about change to make Washington a better place where the people voting have their voices heard.

You see its not one or the other. My point is that you can't fault a politician for being a politician. There job is to flip flop, because the public flip flops. Yeah Kerry got a raw deal, but it doesn't mean you can be like, "Fuck what the public wants. Just be consistent."

mozfan12

Banned
The saddest part about these conventions is that it reminds me that this people hardly know the way to create a sustainable state much dictate less the difference between a shiite and sunni. Why their different, what they believe in, how to implement a state and a democracy, if a democracy should be put into place at all, what type of democracy should be put into place, no strategy but all they tell me is that the fight must go on.

theBishop

Banned
mozfan12 said:
The saddest part about these conventions is that it reminds me that this people hardly know the way to create a sustainable state much dictate less the difference between a shiite and sunni. Why their different, what they believe in, how to implement a state and a democracy, if a democracy should be put into place at all, what type of democracy should be put into place, no strategy but all they tell me is that the fight must go on.

Kill/Convert. It's a time-honored recipe for sustainability.

devilhawk

mozfan12 said:
was it just me, or was Mcain speaking in a very belittling tone, almost as he tried to dumb down his speech to the point where he sounded like a kindergarden teacher telling her students that something is wrong and something is good.
I'm pretty sure it is just you. McCain was def not using a belittling tone. The other speeches however...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rugasuki said:
This is a main link on the front page of McCain's website.

https://secure.donationreport.com/donation.html?key=I9LBRJ70SNSH

Their page still accepts donations just not under the normal campaign standard. Notice you can donate more than $2300?

It does say they are limited in how they can use the money but I like how their legalize has a grammatical error.

"Because the McCain-Palin Campaign is participating in the presidential public funding system, it may not receive contributions for the any candidate's election."

Looks like the funds are actually going towards the RNC and the state-level party units in certain battleground states.

NewLib said:
You see its not one or the other. My point is that you can't fault a politician for being a politician. There job is to flip flop, because the public flip flops. Yeah Kerry got a raw deal, but it doesn't mean you can be like, "Fuck what the public wants. Just be consistent."

I'm not faulting Mccain in that sense. He is what he is. I fault him personally that I don't agree with his positions. I do fault the people both on this board and in the media that say the reason to vote for John Mccain is because he is a Maverick. If that is a credential then that credential has the right to be examined and scrutizined and asked about. If he is running and calling himself a Maverick then we have the right to ask him about his recent political career that doesn't show him to be much of one and why that is.

subrock

Chiggs said:
I'm failing to see what the big deal about the video is. Are we new to politics?
I am not sickened so much by the video as much as I am appalled by the fact that at least %50 of america is going to fail to see what is wrong with that video. a seriously heinous example of modern day propaganda. EVIL TOWEL HEADS WANT TO STEAL YOUR FREEDOM BOOGIEBOOGIEBOOGIE! (#3 the intimidator)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
smurfx said:

awesome. great feeling when you do this right? you realize its not just about you casting a vote, but the responsibility that comes with it of educating yourself and those around you on these matters.

Zabka

ZealousD said:
Looks like the funds are actually going towards the RNC and the state-level party units in certain battleground states.
The RNC is actually pulling funding from local campaigns to push McCain. Lots of incumbents are being hung out to dry.

devilhawk

Stoney Mason said:
I'm not faulting Mccain in that sense. He is what he is. I fault him personally that I don't agree with his positions. I do fault the people both on this board and in the media that say the reason to vote for John Mccain is because he is a Maverick. If that is a credential then that credential has the right to be examined and scrutizined and asked about. If he is running and calling himself a Maverick then we have the right to ask him about his recent political career that doesn't show him to be much of one and why that is.
The maverick part matters when the campaign has made a conscious decision to distance itself from the current administration. If independents buy this notion, he will win. If not, he won't. It's all very simple.

NewLib

Banned
Stoney Mason said:

I understand that. I guess my point is Im growing tired of people voting by parties.

Maybe I have this dream of political parties where they are like, "This is what we stand for..." and then the voters decide which one they like and vote for it. Then the parties FOLLOW THROUGH.

I would promote shorter terms because it would keep politicians honest to people's wants, but I Think it would impact getting things done.

So I don't know an answer. Maybe a national automatic impeachment clause. Where if your approval ratings goes under a certain number, you are gone.

ronito

Chiggs said:
I'm failing to see what the big deal about the video is. Are we new to politics?
Yes! Let's buy votes from the personal tragedy of many families many of which are not republican! There's no problem in that. If we can't persuade you to vote republican we're scare and manipulate you to.

No class. No class at all.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Stoney Mason said:

Well, he was a maverick at one point. Then he started to play ball with Bush and friends so he could make a push for the Presidency. At this point, whoever wins is simply going to have to start making changes based on all the promises and mavericking.

Chiggs

Gold Member
ronito said:
No class. No class at all.

So, like I said, new to politics?

Edit: I was personally offended by showboating Olbermann having to mention that he knew people that died on that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom