• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
harSon said:
You did it wrong, your post actually makes sense.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Quisque tincidunt, elit in euismod gravida, nulla enim eleifend leo, eget tincidunt nulla eros vitae libero. Duis lobortis urna ultricies urna. Curabitur dolor justo, dapibus sed, consectetuer quis, auctor vitae, purus. Sed rutrum semper mi.

Vivamus nulla leo, consequat sed, feugiat ac, posuere quis, nisi!!!

Ut suscipit, nisi nec commodo tincidunt, dui quam cursus tortor, eu sagittis ante purus eu magna. Duis nec dolor. Etiam hendrerit sapien vitae enim.

Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Duis venenatis dolor id leo. Sed vulputate auctor mauris. Praesent.

TheKingsCrown said:
The DNC should never have done what it did to those two states
Forcing them to abide by the rules? If they didn't do that, what power would they ever have?
CoolTrick said:
-Not seating any of Michigan's and Florida's delegates according to any vote whatsoever, disenfranchising 2.3 million voters
Pffft. Usually, when the primaries are wrapped up after a month or two, voters of many states (such as Indiana where I am) effectively have no voice. That Florida and Michigan voluntarily put themselves at the back of the line with their actions doesn't bother me any more than the system in general.

ari

Banned
gkrykewy said:
LOOK AT ME! My posts are so important that I have to bold certain statements so that they may stand out from the glory of the remainder!

Again, LOOK AT ME!
apart from the usual suspects jumping on him/her, how else will the point get across? Again guys, a simple google search would've ended this bickering.

Hootie

Whew, I'm glad I've steered clear of this thread since the last primary :lol

This place will be a disaster area come the 22nd.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Forcing them to abide by the rules? If they didn't do that, what power would they ever have?

Well I agree with you from a rules perspective, I was just saying it within the context of the DNC actually being a "Democratic" organization...they never should have stripped the votes. I use the term "Democratic" loosely, as I know the true definition of it doesn't apply here. But I mean in terms of a vote counting thing...

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Question on McCain:

Say he becomes president and by some miracle the tax cuts become permanent. Are they permanent for good or could the next president after McCain override it?

I can envision a scenario where the DEMs in Congress send McCain a bill where the second highest bracket (the 33% bracket) remains the same, but the highest bracket goes back up to 39.5% or higher (42%?). He'd probably sign that.

The thing that needs to be rectified first is the AMT though.

CoolTrick

Banned
I am inclined to think re-votes are not Democratic. In the Gore/Bush election, I was aghast that we are still unable to correctly count votes with all our technology. If a bank can keep my account balance correctly in their electronic devices, why are we unable to count votes correctly? But even in the Gore/Bush election, a re-vote would have been a giant mess (leaving aside the facts that some very sketchy things might have gone down during that election). And I don't think the re-vote would be Democratic. It would almost be Dictator like, except the Dictator was the millions of people with the interest of changing the outcome of the election.

Of course voting after you know a certain outcome changes things. But you can't just recreate the entire circumstances of before. What you're saying not only says that ANY revote for anything is undemocratic, but you're arguing Hillary Clinton's case for her, that since no revote is fair, that the delegates should be seated as a result of the vote that happened. Like it or not, you are.

A Dictatorship would be splitting the delegates in half, ignoring a vote total. Officially counting their votes but it making absolutely no difference or having no effect.

And my above statement (about the process) brings me to my next point about what you are saying: Yes, 2.3 million people voted. I believe their votes to be very important. But when they voted, if they were educated, they knew their vote wasn't going to matter.

It's not about whether their vote mattered or not. It's the same reason some Democrats in Wyoming show up in November and still vote. It's about principle.

And by the way, the only reason the Florida case against what the DNC did there was dismissed was because the person who filed it didn't actually have their vote discounted (they didn't vote), and the Federal Judge left the door open on it to be re-filed, which it will be.

You need to remember that the people that made these rules ultimately care about one thing and one thing only: Winning in November.

They can't win in November by doing what they're doing. They'll basically seceed any chance at Florida. Winning in November > rules set up by a party that ultimately wants to win in November.

The question is not if, but HOW the Michigan and Florida delegates will be seated. They will be. Revotes in both states is the most fair way to figure out how to seat them.

I personally think that if any of these parties want to get elected they will make their process Democratic.

Hence the rest of your post is really beside the point. To argue about the rules, whether or not it matters, etc., it's all extraneous. People need to feel like their voices are heard. Telling people "Well we told you your vote wouldn't count" doesn't make those same people want to support you in November.

If Hillary had objected to those states not counting when the decision was announced, she would have a case. But to my knowledge, she did nothing of the sort.

Maybe, but she also pretty cleverly left her name on the ballot of Michigan. There's quite a lot that can be read into that. Not the least of which is that, if you're Hillary Clinton at the time of determining whether or not you'll stay on the Michigan ballot, you think you're the nominee.

But if she had truly thought the race didn't matter she would've removed her name. The fact that she didn't does actually give her a case for not fully agreeing with the DNC at the time. I'm not really willing to debate this since people can have their own interpretation as to why she left her name on the ballot considering at that time she didn't think she'd even need Michigan to secure the nomination.

As far as caucuses are concerned, I'm not educated enough to discuss those. They certainly seem shitty (if the Texas mess is any indication). But again, this is how the DNC does things, no? Process changes should occur after learning about problems, not in response to a close race.

Of course, but at the same time, again, the one, overruling theme is this:

Who has the better chance of winning in November?

What caucuses do is let a potential minority of voters determine the outcome of an election, when the amount of people actually willing to hold their nose and vote for the other candidate in a general election (or even if it was a primary between the two candidates) could be much greater. People have their own opinions about caucuses. I know they helped Bill Clinton win the nomination back in 1992. But I still think they're massively undemocratic, by sheer virtue of a diehard fan's vote for Clinton counts the same as does a person that votes for her despite sincerely disliking her but just hating McCain's more. But not in a caucus. I was pretty shocked when I learned what a caucus actually was. I couldn't believe that a process that didn't actually allow everyone to reasonably have a chance to vote was being put into practice, nevermind in so many states. Oh and that it basically is responsible for Obama's delegate lead right now.

APF

harSon said:
You were on ignore for 2 days and I've responded to one post since (Which was an hour or so ago). I'd love to keep you on ignore but it doesn't do much of anything if your posts remain intact when quoted. And once again, I must congratulate you on effectively ignoring the actual question.
Unfortunately I'm unable to respond to your posts because I have you on ignore and can't actually see anything you've been saying. If I didn't have you on ignore I'd be able to see what you were saying and then reply to your questions, but unfortunately you're on ignore and I can't see anything you say, and am therefore unable to respond.

APF said:
Unfortunately I'm unable to respond to your posts because I have you on ignore and can't actually see anything you've been saying. If I didn't have you on ignore I'd be able to see what you were saying and then reply to your questions, but unfortunately you're on ignore and I can't see anything you say, and am therefore unable to respond.

:lol

harSon

Banned
APF said:

redherring.gif

?

I think so.

CoolTrick

Banned
Oh harSon loves to bait as well. He's a huge troll. Apparently NO ONE ever answers the question...when it's not what harSon wants to hear.

harSon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
Oh harSon loves to bait as well. He's a huge troll. Apparently NO ONE ever answers the question...when it's not what harSon wants to hear.

I'd be perfectly fine with any answer that was an actual answer on subject, APF's answers fail to satisfy either criteria.

CoolTrick

Banned
harSon said:
I'd be perfectly fine with any answer that was an actual answer on subject, APF's answers fail to satisfy either criteria.

But at what point do you concede that he may be answering, it's just not what you want to hear?

I get accused all the time of not answering questions, but I really think I do. People just don't like my answers. Infact I'm always perfectly happy to say I'm not willing to debate someone on something, say for reasons of pure ideological differences.

Triumph

Banned
I for one am insulted that when people call CoolTrick a troll, they get banned but when he does the same he gets to hang around. Guess it's another part of the pro-Hillary bias amongst the mod squad here.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Triumph said:
I for one am insulted that when people call CoolTrick a troll, they get banned but when he does the same he gets to hang around. Guess it's another part of the pro-Hillary bias amongst the mod squad here.
:lol

Amir0x

Banned
Nice try, but you got banned for flinging insults not for calling someone a "troll."

To quote:

Well, this is just where you and I will have to agree to disagree. Like I said the other day, if it quacks like an idiot, walks like an idiot and talks like an idiot, then I don't see why I shouldn't call it an idiot.

IMO, APF isn't an idiot but he is a gadfly of sorts. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not. CoolTrick is just a troll, and yes, an idiot.

You shouldn't call people an idiot because if you lower your level of discourse to that point, you're no better than they are. Just ignore them or counter their arguments. If they are a troll, they will be banned. Without you weakly pointing it out every page

Triumph

Banned
Amir0x said:
Nice try, but you got banned for flinging insults not for calling someone a "troll."

To quote:

You shouldn't call people an idiot because if you lower your level of discourse to that point, you're no better than they are. Just ignore them or counter their arguments. If they are a troll, they will be banned. Without you weakly pointing it out every page
That's all well and good, but like a day earlier I had a three page exchange with TopsyTurvy where I called her a melon headed retard and didn't get banned or told to chill out. Of course, there might have been a reason for that...

Amir0x

Banned
Well the reason I didn't ban you for that was because I didn't see that. And you're probably lucky I didn't considering such venom would have netted you a week instead of three days.

You guys need to chill out with the insults. Nobody benefits. Like just now, CoolTrick was pretty clearly going insane on the last page. But I didn't specifically see any insults, so a warning to calm down was better.

maynerd

Banned
I got banned for a MONTH for suggesting some one was an a-hole and I said a-hole...didn't even use the word ass

And the person was being an a-hole too.

GhaleonEB

maynerd said:
I got banned for a MONTH for suggesting some one was an a-hole and I said a-hole...didn't even use the word ass

And the person was being an a-hole too.
Every time I'm inclined to call someone an asshole/jerk/douchebag I remember the ToS.

Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.
Insults, censored or not, often result in bans. Refraning from name-calling should be the minimun standard for discourse, IMO. (Though I've been guilty of it in the past on occasion.)

APF

harSon said:
To be fair, I have you on ignore so it makes sense I'd ignore your question, since you're on ignore. If you weren't on ignore I'd be able to see your question and would have to make a conscious decision whether or not to ignore it without you actually being on ignore and having the ignore setting ignore you automatically. Unfortunately I can't even get to that point since you're on ignore.

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
Why would Obama be opposed to a re-vote in Michigan and Florida? His chances of winning Michigan are damn good and it would only increase his popular vote and delegate lead - offsetting anything Hillary does in Florida. Making both states a wash - making the re-vote unnecessary if that happens.

The problem with Michigan is that people who voted Republican since there were no Democratic delegates or even candidates aside from a few minor ones, they would be theoretically prevented to revote, since they voted Republican.

Of course, the problem there is that the previous voter rolls are unable to be requisitioned by the Michigan Dems, a judge ruled that unconstitutional. So they couldn't even figure out who voted previously. It's nothing to do with Obama, all to do with the judge.

harSon

Banned
APF said:
To be fair, I have you on ignore so it makes sense I'd ignore your question, since you're on ignore. If you weren't on ignore I'd be able to see your question and would have to make a conscious decision whether or not to ignore it without you actually being on ignore and having the ignore setting ignore you automatically. Unfortunately I can't even get to that point since you're on ignore.

I was unaware that you had the entire forum on ignore. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Amir0x said:

To quote:

I see. So Cooltrick repeatedly calling everyone in this thread rabid and dipshits doesn't count as an insult then. Duly noted.

Cheebs

I used to think CoolTrick was pretty smart and a good representation of the Clinton supporters. But after she started to lose control over the race and her chances of being nominated slipped away he kind of went off the deep en d.

Amir0x said:
Well the reason I didn't ban you for that was because I didn't see that. And you're probably lucky I didn't considering such venom would have netted you a week instead of three days.

You guys need to chill out with the insults. Nobody benefits. Like just now, CoolTrick was pretty clearly going insane on the last page. But I didn't specifically see any insults, so a warning to calm down was better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10526733&postcount=6129

CoolTrick said:
IT IS HYPOCRITICAL. See ----->dipshits?! <---------- I can, like, concede a point1

last page

perma

Amir0x

Banned
noted

you guys are constantly resorting to insults, so next time it's month longs for everyone who gets involved in it

Zigzz14

I recieved my PA voter registration card in the mail yesterday. I looked at the card and it said the date validated was the 26th. I sent it in on the 24th and it was too switch party's. Am I going to have a problem voting?

KRS7

Hillary is getting really desperate. In Oregon, yesterday, she claimed that she was the first to criticize the Iraq war, not Obama.

Hillary Clinton said:
"when Sen. Obama came to the Senate he and I have voted exactly the same except for one vote. And that happens to be the facts. We both voted against early deadlines. I actually starting criticizing the war in Iraq before he did."

If you go by Hillary time, and ignore all events before 2005.

Only problem is, even using her twisted criteria, she was still lying.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/in-oregon-clint.html

In January of 2005, Obama was on record offering criticism of the war more than a week before Clinton.

gkryhewy

Zigzz14 said:
I recieved my PA voter registration card in the mail yesterday. I looked at the card and it said the date validated was the 26th. I sent it in on the 24th and it was too switch party's. Am I going to have a problem voting?

Depends - were you planning to vote for Hillary? If so, yes, you're out of luck :(

Getting bent out of shape over internet bullshit is stupid. I liked Cool Trick, and it seems like our bandwagon is getting smaller by the day. Lets be civil kids.

back on topic...

I just don't understand the point of this bullshit

(CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton will stop telling an emotional story about a uninsured pregnant woman who died after being denied medical care, Clinton's campaign said.

A hospital has raised questions over the accuracy of the story, and Clinton's campaign has said although they had no reason to doubt the story, they were unable to confirm the details.

In the story, Clinton describes a woman from rural Ohio who was making minimum wage at a local pizza shop. The woman, who was uninsured, became pregnant.

Clinton said the woman ran into trouble and went to a hospital in a nearby county but was denied treatment because she couldn't afford a $100 payment.

In her speeches, Clinton said the woman later was taken to the hospital by ambulance and lost the baby. The young woman was then taken by helicopter to a Columbus hospital where she died of complications.

As recently as Friday night in Grand Forks, North Dakota, Clinton said she was "just aching inside" as she was listening to the story.

"It is so wrong, in this good, great and rich country, that a young woman and her baby would die because she didn't have health insurance or a hundred dollars to get examined," she said.

While Clinton never named the hospital in her speech, the woman she was referring to was treated at O'Bleness Memorial Hospital in Athens, Ohio. The hospital said the woman did indeed have insurance, and, at least at their hospital, she was never turned away.

Hospital Chief Executive Officer Rick Castrop in a statement said, "we reviewed the medical and patient accounts of the patient" after she was named in a newspaper story about Clinton's stump speech.

"There is no indication that she was ever denied medical care at any time, for any reason. We clearly reject any perception that we ever denied any care to this woman."

A hospital spokesperson confirmed to CNN the woman had insurance. She said the hospital decided to come forward after people in the community began to question if they had denied her care.

Clinton's speech accurately reflects what she was told that day, but the campaign admits they were not able to confirm the account.

Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said, "She had no reason to doubt his word."

"Candidates are told stories by people all the time, and it's common for candidates to retell those stories. It's not always possible to fully vet them, but we try. For example, medical records are confidential. In this case, we tried but weren't able to fully vet the story," he said.

Elleithee added, "If the hospital claims it didn't happen that way, we certainly respect that, and she won't repeat the story."

"She never mentions the hospital by name and isn't trying to cast blame. She tells this story because it illustrates the point that we have a very serious health care problem in America. That's a point very few people will dispute."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/06/clinton.hospital/index.html?eref=rss_politics&iref=polticker

I'm sure candidates make up stories all the time, but when you have a history of fabricating events and the media is on your tail...why risk it? It's as if the Clinton campaign keeps forgetting this is 2008, not 1992. The news cycle is faster and much more vicious now, information is easily accessible, etc. Someone needs to do cost benefit analysis for Hillary because it seems like they take the dumbest risks, most of which have no reward. What if she really did come under sniper fire in Bosnia, how would that honestly help her campaign? jeez

I'm not bent out of shape, I just don't like how CoolTrick is incapable of having a real conversation about his favorite talking points. I'm cool with the rest of the Hillary gang.

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Getting bent out of shape over internet bullshit is stupid. I liked Cool Trick, and it seems like our bandwagon is getting smaller by the day. Lets be civil kids.

back on topic...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/06/clinton.hospital/index.html?eref=rss_politics&iref=polticker

I'm sure candidates make up stories all the time, but when you have a history of fabricating events and the media is on your tail...why risk it? It's as if the Clinton campaign keeps forgetting this is 2008, not 1992. The news cycle is faster and much more vicious now, information is easily accessible, etc. Someone needs to do cost benefit analysis for Hillary because it seems like they take the dumbest risks, most of which have no reward. What if she really did come under sniper fire in Bosnia, how would that honestly help her campaign? jeez
She's your cross to bear, Pee Dee. Given the fact that she's pretty much established herself as a serial liar I find it hard to believe that you still believe her to be the better candidate... you must really hate black people. :-(

Cheebs

PhoenixDark said:

back on topic...

The last presidencial campaign Mark Penn ran was in 1996. In the so called pre-internet era. He is having Hillary fight this election like it is the 90's.

I mean look how long it took her to start trying to take advantage of internet donations. Not until early Feb. While 90%+ of Obama's donations have been over the internet since day 1.

Triumph said:
She's your cross to bear, Pee Dee. Given the fact that she's pretty much established herself as a serial liar I find it hard to believe that you still believe her to be the better candidate... you must really hate black people. :-(

She's not my candidate, and while I think she's a better candidate I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. Far too much bullshit downplays her positives.

Amir0x

Banned
i still don't see how everything she does on a daily basis doesn't prove to you (and anyone else) that she's not the better candidate.

Seems like you're the type of person who enjoys cutting yourself.

APF

"Clinton's speech accurately reflects what she was told that day"

And when she found out it wasn't accurate she dropped it. So what's the problem? It's not like she researched the story for a book on this woman's life or anything.

I mean, if someone did a large amount of research for a critically-acclaimed book on someone's life, and then was found lying about key parts of that person's life and family history in order to gin up sympathy and a false connection to people and events, then I can see the justified outrage that would cause people to start taking a serious look at exactly who and why they were supporting this person.

Amir0x

Banned
obligatory: "SHE CAN'T EVEN GATHER THE APPROPRIATE INTELLIGENCE FOR HER STUMP SPEECH, HOW CAN SHE BE EXPECTED TO GATHER THE CORRECT DATA FOR AMERICA'S SECURITY?"

*tee hee* I made myself giggle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom