• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APF

mashoutposse said:
And now for the entirety of what Obama said (starting from 3:20)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUBqZBeH-g
Obama's full answer there was no less disingenuous. The fact that he can't admit he's distorting McCain's words is bizarre IMO. He could just as easily say, "hey you're right I looked at the clip and he wasn't talking about being at war for that long, but even his suggestion we could have a long-term peaceful presence there is unrealistic IMO" and he'd get a million kudos for making the right point rather than a cheap, purely-political stab that's off the mark.

scorcho: Of course, and if you were making that point in 2003 or four it might have even been considered novel. But US foreign policy isn't really being swayed by idealistic bookworms anymore.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
APF said:
Obama's full answer there was no less disingenuous. The fact that he can't admit he's distorting McCain's words is bizarre IMO. He could just as easily say, "hey you're right I looked at the clip and he wasn't talking about being at war for that long, but even his suggestion we could have a long-term peaceful presence there is unrealistic IMO" and he'd get a million kudos for making the right point rather than a cheap, purely-political stab that's off the mark.

Exactly. Obama would have every right to say "With all due respect, John McCain is delusional if he thinks Iraq is ever going to be a place where American troops can be stationed there and not feel danger. He was out of touch with reality when he authorized the war, and he's out of touch now"

But what he keeps implying is JUST. NOT. TRUE.

belvedere said:
The man said he'd be fine with a 100 year U.S. presence in Iraq. Not once, but on a few different occasions now. These were direct responses to questions using the word "war".

You need to reaquaint yourself with what McCain said. "War" implicitly implies that US soldiers are dying. He said the exact opposite.

And leave it to Obama to try to wiggle out of his own trap by saying we've been "occupying" South Korea and Japan. Occupying? Really now...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
siamesedreamer said:

:lol Typical. Miss the forest from the trees. I love how she quotes Frank Rich's op-ed, the one in which he rips McCain a new asshole for his "position" on Iraq.

What's even better is that McCain's statement is even more asinine taken in the correct context.

But keep on keeping on. We're all done with this sort of bullshit. These little made-up "Gotcha!" moments. Spike Lee said it right and hopefully the Rich Lowry's of the world will all be out of work soon enough.

schuelma

bob_arctor said:
We're all done with this sort of bullshit. These little made-up "Gotcha!" moments. .

Obama's constant mispresentation of McCain's statement is a perfect example of old school politics. To a mother fucking T.

schuelma

belvedere said:
Are you saying McCain never made such a comment?

Wow.

Just wow

The whole premise of McCain's statement was that IF (notice the word if) there was no longer a danger to U.S troops and the region was completely stabilized, he would have no opposition to a continuing U.S presence like the country has in other parts of the world.

Obama's claim/lie is that McCain would "be at war" in Iraq for up to 100 years.

Surely you see the distinction. McCain's statement assumes there is no more violence; Obama's representation of that statement is that McCain will stay in Iraq even with violence.

Azih

schuelma said:
Obama's constant mispresentation of McCain's statement is a perfect example of old school politics.
Dude, the youtube vid SD posted is old school politics. You do disown that at least don't you?

Edit: In any case this is the youtube era. Let's see the link to an entire McCain speech or press conference on this to settle this either way.

schuelma

Azih said:
Dude, the youtube vid SD posted is old school politics. You do disown that at least don't you?

Of course it is. Not my point. Obama and his supporters on this board hold the Obama campaign to a higher standard. That is genuinely part of his appeal to me and others, so I'm sure as hell going to call him on it when he does it.

APF

Azih said:
Edit: In any case this is the youtube era. Let's see the link to an entire McCain speech or press conference on this to settle this either way.
Town hall meeting--he was answering a question from an audience member.

harSon

Banned
Mccain may or may have not specifically stated that an occupation of Iraq for an extended time would be fine with him. But thats certainly going to be the case if he sees our aiding of the Iraqi people as a 'Moral Obligation'. There will be casualties as long as we have a presence in Iraq and we will be in Iraq for quite a while (If the reconstruction of Iraq is our goal). The Republicans are full of themselves if they think anything but a long term occupation will result in substantial strides. It's quite easy to understand, Iraq does not want us in their country.

schuelma

harSon said:
Mccain may or may have not specifically stated that an occupation of Iraq for an extended time would be fine with him. But thats certainly going to be the case if he sees our aiding of the Iraqi people as a 'Moral Obligation'. There will be casualties as long as we have a presence in Iraq and we will be in Iraq for quite a while (If the reconstruction of Iraq is our goal). The Republicans are full of themselves if they think anything but a long term occupation will result in substantial strides. It's quite easy to understand, Iraq does not want us in their country.

What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

Clinton, Dean, and Obama have been distorting McCain's 100 year comment for months, it's nothing new. Obvious it's going to be a big talking point in the general election for them, which is apparently more important than telling the truth.

McCain, Jan. 3: Make it a hundred. ... We’ve been in Japan for 60 years. We’ve been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That would be fine with me, as long as American, as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. It’s fine with me and I hope it would be fine with you if we maintained a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al Qaeda is training, recruiting and equipping and motivating people every single day.
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/smear_or_be_smeared.html

It's a lie, end of story

Tamanon

Banned
Sure it's a distortion of McCain's exact words. I wish he wouldn't use it, would just use the phrase "In Iraq for 100 years". Same effect, less distortion. C'est la vie. Once the general election hits, it'll be nuanced and focus more on the whole "keep your eyes on the ball" with regard to Al Qaeda.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
schuelma said:
Obama's constant mispresentation of McCain's statement is a perfect example of old school politics. To a mother fucking T.

So fucking what? Don't get upset cuz he can get away with it. See, if we like someone, when we all know he's the best bet to help get this country out the crapper, we let shit slide like that. I don't know what kind of white horse you think we here are riding but what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the old geezer.

Surely you see the distinction. McCain's statement assumes there is no more violence; Obama's representation of that statement is that McCain will stay in Iraq even with violence.

I see the distinction. I was one of the first ones in this very thread to make it actually.

schuelma

bob_arctor said:
So fucking what? Don't get upset cuz he can get away with it. See, if we like someone, when we all know he's the best bet to help get this country out the crapper, we let shit slide like that. I don't know what kind of white horse you think we here are riding but what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the old geezer.

Well, if you're just going to admit you're a hypocrite, I guess I have nothing left to add. :lol :lol

belvedere

Junior Butler
schuelma said:

I'm aware of the distinction. Unfortunately, it hasn't been painted like what you're so desperately trying to see.

In almost every instance where Obama has brought this up, his point was clearly about the efficiency in bringing this war to an end in a timely fashion. His opinion obviously differs from McCain's in that if done right, there won't be a need for troops in Iraq for 100 years.

Your stance is understandable though, as it's obviously hard to determine that when you selectively view video clips that conveniently leave insignificant facts like that out.

APF

belvedere said:
In almost every instance where Obama has brought this up, his point was clearly about the efficiency in bringing this war to an end in a timely fashion. His opinion obviously differs from McCain's in that if done right, there won't be a need for troops in Iraq for 100 years.
Wait, you're saying Obama's plan is to remove all US forces from the region and not just Iraq? Because otherwise your point is meaningless.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
APF said:

I agree that Obama previously distorted his position as others have distorted Obama's stance on Pakistan and al Qaeda. However, Obama's most recent statements have been much more careful ("presence" instead of "war").

At the end of the day, the fact that a peaceful occupation is an undetermined number of years of fighting away renders McCain's stance tantamount to an indefinite extension of the war. In this way, McCain is being just as disingenuous as Obama/Clinton. You're right, though -- Obama should have probably worded his response closer to your suggestion.

schuelma

bob_arctor said:
Am I? Really? Please, show me all my posts where I pretend to be Obama.

Maybe hypocrite was the wrong word, assuming you have no problem when McCain does this stuff. Apologies.

harSon

Banned
APF said:
Wait, you're saying Obama's plan is to remove all US forces from the region and not just Iraq? Because otherwise your point is meaningless.

You meant to say Obama actually has a plan?

Despite SD's clever vid, his entire quote speaks more to McCain's inability to say when and how the war would end.

I agree, Obama should say he was wrong about the 100 years comment, but that doesn't make Obama's comments in the Today interview any less wrong, even if they don't answer the question at all.

APF said:
Yeah could you explain how what you said there makes sense?

Azih

siamesedreamer said:
How is it old school politics when Obama himself said to check Youtube?
Because he never backed away from his original statements like you implied and was referring to McCain videos to back up his original assertion. But you knew that already of course.

APF

Dahellisdat said:
Yeah could you explain how what you said there makes sense?
*sigh* You people. McCain agreed with the hypothetical "100 years" presence because he asserted the strategic importance of having US forces in the region. Saying Obama is planning a withdrawal from Iraq in such a way that US forces won't be needed in the region--an idea that reaches hallucinogenic levels of optimism--necessitates US forces not being in the region; in other words, the poster's assertion makes no sense unless that's Obama's plan, which it is not.

theBishop said:
Are you suggesting DailyKos isn't a credible source of information? Can you back that up with anything?

I'm not suggesting anything. Websites like that you have to take with a grain of salt. Same with FreeRepublic or any other partisan site.

APF said:

APF said:
*sigh* You people. McCain agreed with the hypothetical "100 years" presence because he asserted the strategic importance of having US forces in the region. Saying Obama is planning a withdrawal from Iraq in such a way that US forces won't be needed in the region--an idea that reaches hallucinogenic levels of optimism--necessitates US forces not being in the region; in other words, the poster's assertion makes no sense unless that's Obama's plan, which it is not.
I'm not following you here. He's not calling for removing all forces from the entire middle east/africa. He's calling for removal of our forces from Iraq.

APF

Dahellisdat said:
I'm not following you here. He's not calling for removing all forces from the entire middle east/africa. He's calling for removal of our forces from Iraq.
EXACTLY

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Did that Today Show lady (Meredith Viera?) quote any more portions of Rich's op-ed? How is it possible to read that scathing commentary and only pull away one particular sentence that has almost nothing to do with what Rich is saying (save that McCain is horrible enough without purposely misconstruing that quote).

Xisiqomelir

I have a problem with people going with "bububu he just meant 100 more years like Japan or SK".

The difference, which should be patently obvious, is that active hostilities ceased in the Korean war and WW2. Iraq, on the other hand, is a raging hellhole.

APF

Dahellisdat said:
Ok then.....so why exactly were you arguing with belvedere?
I think you're just not reading my posts.

Xisiqomelir: how does what you just said argue against what McCain said?

Xisiqomelir

APF said:
Xisiqomelir: how does what you just said argue against what McCain said?

Well APF, I suppose it depends on how you define 'war'. IMO, the current situation in Iraq is a war. Also, it will never change to a peaceful occupation similar to the US presence in Japan. So, 100 more years in Iraq would be 100 more years of war.

syllogism

McCain just can't get it right

McCain: There are numerous threats to security in Iraq and the future of Iraq. Do you still view Al Qaeda in Iraq as a major threat?
Petraeus: It is still a major threat, though it is certainly not as major a threat as it was say 15 months ago.
McCain: Certainly not an obscure sect of the Shiites overall?
Petraeus: No, no sir.
McCain: Or Sunnis or anybody else then? Al Qaeda continues to try to assert themselves in Mosul, is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom