• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ToyMachine228 said:
I think this is a great idea. It'll generate a lot of talk in PA, and get a lot of attention in the media. I'm hoping to hear him speak at one of the tour events.

Also, working on my campaign's website for county legislature. Really excited.

Good. Should be longer. I'm pretty damn sure one of Obama's failings in TX and OH was not doing quite enough on site outreach such as this.

Triumph

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
You do know that a felony is serious business right?
NOT AS SERIOUS AS A TAX INCREASE!

People, stop replying to quest. If a mod isn't going to step up and warn or ban him for his blatant trolling, we can at least stop paying attention to him.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Triumph said:
NOT AS SERIOUS AS A TAX INCREASE!

People, stop replying to quest. If a mod isn't going to step up and warn or ban him for his blatant trolling, we can at least stop paying attention to him.

I love that one anyone who disagrees with Obama is a troll now.

Clevinger

PhoenixDark said:
They aren't "screwing" anything up: they're voting strategically to benefit their candidate in November.

No one is suppressing votes, repressing votes, tampering with results, etc.

For every Republican who votes Democrat for the sole purpose of fucking it over for them makes one genuine Democrat vote meaningless. Obviously it's legal, it's just a shitty thing to do that spits in the idea of democracy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
They aren't "screwing" anything up: they're voting strategically to benefit their candidate in November.

I didn't say I agreed with him. But you only typing half of what he said is (on your part) being disingenuous.

mckmas8808 said:
I didn't say I agreed with him. But you only typing half of what he said is (on your part) being disingenuous.

How so? This is not a new topic, and has been discussed to death here. Abrams' stance was mind numbingly stupid, and he deserved to be called out for his feigned indignation and lousy logic.

There's nothing "Unamerican" about voting in the opposing party's primary - when possible - to give your candidate an edge. Republicans want to see McCain win, and for some reason they feel Hillary is their best shot at that. If Obama had wrapped up the nomination last month while McCain and Huck were still battling it out neck to neck, you better believe democrats in primary states would be going out to vote for Huck. And actually, this already happened in Michigan, during which Kos suggesting democrats go out and vote for McCain to keep the race in disarray; I voted for Huck.

KRS7

Clevinger said:
Obviously it's legal

Not in Ohio:

What Limbaugh encouraged Republican voters to do in Ohio was a fifth-degree felony in that state, punishable with a $2,500 fine and six to 12 months in jail. That is because in order to change party affiliation in Ohio, voters have to fill out a form swearing allegiance to that party's principles "under penalty of election falsification."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
How so? This is not a new topic, and has been discussed to death here. Abrams' stance was mind numbingly stupid, and he deserved to be called out for his feigned indignation and lousy logic.

There's nothing "Unamerican" about voting in the opposing party's primary - when possible - to give your candidate an edge. Republicans want to see McCain win, and for some reason they feel Hillary is their best shot at that. If Obama had wrapped up the nomination last month while McCain and Huck were still battling it out neck to neck, you better believe democrats in primary states would be going out to vote for Huck. And actually, this already happened in Michigan, during which Kos suggesting democrats go out and vote for McCain to keep the race in disarray; I voted for Huck.

Again I was saying you should have typed out everything that Dan was saying. That's all. You only typed out half his quote.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Rush Limbaugh on Pennsylvania:

Video
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/23785942#23785966

16lcync754.jpg
PhoenixDark said:
Dan Abrams is a fucking idiot. "Unamerican" for republicans to vote in the democrat primary? :lol
Rush is promoting anti-American actions.

joeposh

StoOgE said:
guys, I have a very very good chance of going to Denver and being a pledged delegate.

my precinct had a meeting on how we are going to vote for delegates to the state convention. I gave a 10 min speach and afterwords was the unanimous pick for the first person to go to state from our precinct. I went to nationals in LD debate and extemp speaking in high school so it wasnt fair,

afterwards, a lady said she is on the executive commitee for the state dem party. if i get to state (which is a given) she said she can get our congressman to endorse me to go to Denver....

would be so awesome.

Congrats man, what area are you in?

syllogism

PhoenixDark said:
If everyone did it, we would end up with two awful candidates every year.

thefro

In the Ace Attorney games, this is the point when the witness starts freaking out on the stand a bit after the first couple OBJECTIONS!

http://www.attytood.com/2008/03/exclusive_clinton_acknowledges.html

Hillary said:
"Now let me tell you what I can remember, OK -- because what I was told was that we had to land a certain way and move quickly because of the threat of sniper fire. So I misspoke -- I didn't say that in my book or other times but if I said something that made it seem as though there was actual fire -- that's not what I was told. I was told we had to land a certain way, we had to have our bulletproof stuff on because of the threat of sniper fire. I was also told that the greeting ceremony had been moved away from the tarmac but that there was this 8-year-old girl and, I can't, I can't rush by her, I've got to at least greet her -- so I greeted her, I took her stuff and then I left, Now that's my memory of it.

And the tell...

Hillary said:
"No, I went to 80 countries, you know. I gave contemporaneous accounts, I wrote about a lot of this in my book. you know, I think that, a minor blip, you know, if I said something that, you know, I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a mistatement."

gkryhewy

LOL, Sniper-gate is the opening story on Good Morning America! They're really going at it, too.

Shrillary said:
Y' know, I say a lot of things, millions of things a day..

I shit you not! That's a quote.

James Carville finds himself unable to defend this reasonably.

EDIT: Carville also stood by his Judas comment, despite fairly heavy pressure by Diane Sawyer. Gave them a chance to play Richardson's "entitlement" quote.

Good morning on GMA.

syllogism

All the morning shows are leading with the story. Chuck Todd pointed out the remarks were prepared so it's a bit hard to believe she just misspoke. If nothing else, at least the pundits have something else to talk about for a day or two.

Tom_Cody

thefro said:
In the Ace Attorney games, this is the point when the witness starts freaking out on the stand a bit after the first couple OBJECTIONS!

:lol :lol :lol

You really nailed it. I wish I had an animated gif of Hillary coming unhinged. Watching it loop would be just like playing Phoenix Wright.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
PhoenixDark said:

I can't fucking believe that you're agreeing on the principle of something like this, and trying to justify it. Really? . Something called 'operation chaos' isn't meant to screw things up? Are you so dense as to not seeing why this is a harmful and hurtful tactic to the country and to democracy? You're fucking lying about switching parties. 'We're just making trouble here folks'- even Limbaugh doesn't defend the integrity of the actions. Oh wait, you're PD

If this had the intended effects on both sides, we'd end up with the shittiest candidates possible running against each other. Yes, its 'strategizing' but its mind-boggling that a reasonable, objective individual would defend the tactic. Its the furthest thing from democracy, and you'd be blind not to see that.

gkryhewy

syllogism said:
All the morning shows are leading with the story. Chuck Todd pointed out the remarks were prepared so it's a bit hard to believe she just misspoke. If nothing else, at least the pundits have something else to talk about for a day or two.

Wow, the CBS video linked from Drudge is as harsh as that "movie trailer" one put together a few days ago. Juxtaposes her sniper speech with video of her with the little girl.

Fabulous.

I kind of have to agree with PD here, it's not undemacratic or unamerican. It's kind of shitty, but theres more fault in the rules, not the republicans. Those rules, when the race wasn't decided already were a big boon to Obama, as he actually has appeal across party lines.

Really, the blame lies in Hilary for creating a situation that she cannot possibly win, but keeps holding on to hollow victories. If this race was actually a toss up who knows where "Project chaos" would be voting.

Cheebs

Americans should be allowed to vote any way they damn well please. If they want to vote for someone because that politicians favorite color is blue? Good for them. Want to vote for someone because they think the candidate is shit? Why not.

Despite the impact on my candidate I am fully in the belief that primaries should be open for anyone of any affiliation to vote in and they can decide whatever logic in their vote decision they want.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Americans should be allowed to vote any way they damn well please. If they want to vote for someone because that politicians favorite color is blue? Good for them. Want to vote for someone because they think the candidate is shit? Why not.

Despite the impact on my candidate I am fully in the belief that primaries should be open for anyone of any affiliation to vote in and they can decide whatever logic in their vote decision they want.
The question was, is it it "unamerican" to purposely vote for whom you perceive to be the worst candidate.

Kildace

gkrykewy said:
Wow, the CBS video linked from Drudge is as harsh as that "movie trailer" one put together a few days ago. Juxtaposes her sniper speech with video of her with the little girl.

Fabulous.

The singing bit had me rolling.

syllogism

This probably isn't the best thing to say when you are trying to laud your CiC of economy credentials

When asked why she'd appoint Alan Greenspan to a working group of financial leaders to design a response to the housing crisis, Clinton told the Philadelphia Daily News:

"Not only that, but the Fed didn't act while he was there. But he has a calming influence still to this day on Wall Street -- don't ask me why because I never understand what he's saying -- but nevertheless people respond to that Delphic oracle approach. I think it would be wise to include him. And recently he's come out and vert smartly so that we have to deal with housing and maybe we need to have some kind of buyout mechanism for mortgages. So he's moved on his understanding and depth of the problem -- but you know you could pick three others.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Wisdom_of_the_oracle.html

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
This probably isn't the best thing to say when you are trying to laud your CiC of economy credentials

:lol

Democratic registration in Pennsylvania set a new record yesterday, at the close of yesterday's deadline to register for the state's closed primary.

Over 4 million Pennsylvanians are now registered as Democrats, out of 8.2 million total registered voters. Republican and independent registrations both shrank slightly — a possible sign of crossover voters for Barack Obama — while 120,000 previously unregistered people entered the rolls.
Not so sure it's cross-over for Obama, condidering the trend. Still, good to see so many voters ready to hit the polls.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/dem_registration_hits_new_reco.php

The not understanding Greenspan is fine, since just about everyone doesn't understand what he says (lookup greenspeak).

The problem with Greenspan is he is partly to blame for the housing mess.

Farmboy

Why didn't anyone tell me about this useful delegate-tallying gadget? I've been dicking around with Excel to concoct likely and unlikely scenario's for how this race will end (and to see just how unlikely it is for Hillary to win), but this is even better! And more user friendly! Pity it doesn't include popular vote counts which, though a highly unlikely path to victory for Hillary, is at least less insurmountable than Obama's pledged delegate lead.

harSon

Banned
Cheebs said:

It should be perfectly legal but it's still a horrible thing to do. It's basically canceling out another persons right to vote.

syllogism said:

To be fair, she's joking about Greenspan's "Fed Speak," which he admits is purposefully hard to understand. I'm not sure if anyone else on earth quite understands it.

a quick post about the famously dense and nearly undecipherable Fed Chairmen

http://www.eriksherman.com/enwords/2007/09/greenspan-and-fed-speak.html

Edit: The grey fox gets it.

syllogism said:
The question was, is it it "unamerican" to purposely vote for whom you perceive to be the worst candidate.

It's called voting strategically, and there's nothing wrong with it - unless of course you run into legal obstacles (which are bullshit). If I knew my voting in the republican primary could possibly make Ron Paul the republican nominee you better bet I'd vote for him, and so would you

gkryhewy

It's interesting that for both Pennsylvania and North Carolina, the polls with the highest sample sizes (per RealClearPolitics.com) consistently show stronger Obama numbers than those with smaller samples.

This could be a Wisconsin circumstance, where the determination of what is a "likely voter" weighs heavily on the accuracy of polls.

Cheebs

gkrykewy said:
It's interesting that for both Pennsylvania and North Carolina, the polls with the highest sample sizes (per RealClearPolitics.com) consistently show stronger Obama numbers than those with smaller samples.

This could be a Wisconsin circumstance, where the determination of what is a "likely voter" weighs heavily on the accuracy of polls.
He's going to be lucky to get PA's margin under 15. A margin of 10 would be a big win for him. Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Sniper-Gate and the way Hillary and her aids have been treating Bill Richardson reminds me of why so many people don't trust Hillary Clinton. She's MY Senator, but I don't trust her a bit. The Clintons bought land here so she could run for Senate, in a liberal state. She won't release her tax information, she told a blatant lie, and claims she "misspoke" and her campaign has been calling Bill Richardson a "sellout" or saying he only has influence with Latinos, or saying that no one cares what he thinks at this point. I can't stand tactics like this. Bill Richardson is an upstanding man, and for the Clintons to demonize him, I think it's disgusting.

gkrykewy said:

In NC's case the African American sample probably isn't very accurate; most polls in states with heavy AA populations underpolled the demographic and when results came in Obama was ahead with big numbers (SC being the first example). Texas was extremely disappointing for Obama in terms of the black vote - if they had come out in record numbers he might have won - but I'd imagine that won't happen in NC, where he could really blow Hillary out the water

KRS7

Cheebs said:
What's NC's population of blacks compared to SC?

I know NC is part of the "black belt" of the south but by how much?

North Carolina is:

70% White American, 22.3% African-American, 6.5% Latino

compared with South Carolina:

69.12% White and 29.68% Black

Cheebs

KRS7 said:
North Carolina is:

70% White American, 22.3% African-American, 6.5% Latino

compared with South Carolina:

69.12% White and 29.68% Black
Thanks...do we know the percentage matchup for likely primary voters?

Maybe Greenspan doesn't want anything to do with Clinton:

Greenspan told the Journal he was "fairly close" to former President Bill Clinton's economic advisers, but added, "The next administration may have the Clinton administration name, but the Democratic Party ... has moved ... very significantly in the wrong direction." He cited its populist bent, especially its skepticism of free trade.

LINK

sangreal

Posted?

March 22, 2007

The Honorable Ben Bernanke
Chairman
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20551

The Honorable Henry Paulson
Secretary
U.S. Department of Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20220

Dear Chairman Bernanke and Secretary Paulson,

There is grave concern in low-income communities about a potential coming wave of foreclosures. Because regulators are partly responsible for creating the environment that is leading to rising rates of home foreclosure in the subprime mortgage market, I urge you immediately to convene a homeownership preservation summit with leading mortgage lenders, investors, loan servicing organizations, consumer advocates, federal regulators and housing-related agencies to assess options for private sector responses to the challenge.

We cannot sit on the sidelines while increasing numbers of American families face the risk of losing their homes. And while neither the government nor the private sector acting alone is capable of quickly balancing the important interests in widespread access to credit and responsible lending, both must act and act quickly.

Working together, the relevant private sector entities and regulators may be best positioned for quick and targeted responses to mitigate the danger. Rampant foreclosures are in nobody's interest, and I believe this is a case where all responsible industry players can share the objective of eliminating deceptive or abusive practices, preserving homeownership, and stabilizing housing markets.

The summit should consider best practice loan marketing, underwriting, and origination practices consistent with the recent (and overdue) regulators' Proposed Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending. The summit participants should also evaluate options for independent loan counseling, voluntary loan restructuring, limited forbearance, and other possible workout strategies. I would also urge you to facilitate a serious conversation about the following:
* What standards investors should require of lenders, particularly with regard to verification of income and assets and the underwriting of borrowers based on fully indexed and fully amortized rates. * How to facilitate and encourage appropriate intervention by loan servicing companies at the earliest signs of borrower difficulty. * How to support independent community-based-organizations to provide counseling and work-out services to prevent foreclosure and preserve homeownership where practical. * How to provide more effective information disclosure and financial education to ensure that borrowers are treated fairly and that deception is never a source of competitive advantage. * How to adopt principles of fair competition that promote affordability, transparency, non-discrimination, genuine consumer value, and competitive returns. * How to ensure adequate liquidity across all mortgage markets without exacerbating consumer and housing market vulnerability.

Of course, the adoption of voluntary industry reforms will not preempt government action to crack down on predatory lending practices, or to style new restrictions on subprime lending or short-term post-purchase interventions in certain cases. My colleagues on the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs have held important hearings on mortgage market turmoil and I expect the Committee will develop legislation.

Nevertheless, a consortium of industry-related service providers and public interest advocates may be able to bring quick and efficient relief to millions of at-risk homeowners and neighborhoods, even before Congress has had an opportunity to act. There is an opportunity here to bring different interests together in the best interests of American homeowners and the American economy. Please don't let this opportunity pass us by.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

Bishman

We are you in Youtube era. It is crazy how we, the people view videos on the candidates many days before the mass media reports it. I can not imagine how this election would be without the power of the internet with sites like Youtube, GAF, and political blogs.

Seth C

syllogism said:

That, I'm fine with. If it were that simple I'd have no issues. Here is the real question:

Is it "unamerican" or even right to vote for the person who is behind in the "other" party's primary with the specific intent of damaging that party's chances in the general election by prolonging their election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom