• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
Lemonz said:
With Rep. Wynn, I think he still remains a delegate. Many delegates don't hold office or some used to be in office.

New obama pic.
capt.2ff975c8caef4d588551d34041354b89.obama_2008_orab137.jpg
Now we can have our own baby eating picture!

syllogism said:
Another NC poll showing Obama up significantly.

http://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/storylink_327_306.aspx

e: and that's with obama only getting 79% of the black vote

Some of us are going to fight hard for her here in NC, but it's a lost cause, and most of Hillary supporters here know that the only way she can win, or even be close, for that matter, here is through an Obama implosion instead of any actions of her own campaign.

Diablos said:
It doesn't even matter.

Hillary's going to take this to the convention.

The superdelegates and rest of the party establishment will put a bullet in her campaign's head first if it is truly over. Guaranteed.

ari said:
in other words, all the left have is mccain's economic issues and a false quote about iraq. Cool.

And his campaign funded by, and run by lobbyists
And his strange hypocrisy on torture
And his position on Iran
And his struggles understanding the Muslim World
And his lackluster campaigning
And his hypocrisy on Bush tax cuts

McCain is coasting on media good feelings right now, all it takes is one rain storm to bring up the skeletons buried in his shallow graves.

Obama isn't going to be perfect, Wright has hurt him to be sure, but he bounced back better than any polician in recent memory from something like this. Wright will keep coming up, but it seems like it's raised his unfavorables mainly with the lifelong republicans, where it would have gone up otherwise.

And to those blaming Clinton for Obama's drops.

Don't.

This would have come out in the general and been just as damaging. At this point, Clinton is taking time from Obama being able to get at McCain, but Wright would have come up on its own, Canadian - sabotage/Nafta Gate would have hit him just the same as McCain.

Both candidates need to step back and take the high road at this point, sniping isn't going to help anyone.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Fragamemnon said:
The superdelegates and rest of the party establishment will put a bullet in her campaign's head first if it is truly over. Guaranteed.
Fragamemnon said:
put a bullet in her campaign's head
Fragamemnon said:
bullet in her...head
Fragamemnon said:

PC gamers on politics.

Nothing against you Frag, just thought it was an interesting choice of words :lol

Diablos

Fragamemnon said:
Bullshit.

Delegate count is going to be close until the convention, but Obama is likely to always have the lead, even if it's by only a little. With that known, that should be IT. The people have spoken, and they chose Obama. Superdelegates don't represent the people at all. It's kind of stupid that we would even let them make such an important decision after voters have already made it clear who they wanted.

Superdelegates are smart enough to figure this out, and probably already have, but clearly a great deal of them can't wait to help Hillary shit on the face of the American people and the time they will have wasted if their votes are basically thrown to the side.

Not only am I starting to get worried, but I'm really pissed. If Obama can't win the nomination because of this selfish, childish game Hillary and co. are playing, I seriously may switch to being independent.

XxenobladerxX said:
Shes a good canidate.
So was John Kerry. So was Al Gore. So was Mike Dukakis. None of them won. Democrats need to pick someone who can win, and it's not Hillary. She's making a fool out of herself, perhaps more than any other Democrat running for the White House has in the past couple decades.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Boogie said:
"If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

Sorry that you have angst about a tough decision made in wartime, but tough shit.

Truman didn't have the luxury of wishing the tough decisions of the war away, and your post basically amounts to a bunch of whining that, gee, why do people have to die in war?

"It is well that war is so terrible — otherwise we should grow too fond of it" -General Robert E. Lee

You do know I was talking about innocent people right?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Cheebs said:
Thats not a new super delegate. That's a add-on super delegate thats been counted since feb 5th. It's just a person picked to represent it has been picked out.

Edit: He is also likely to lose 2 super delegates. Rep. Wynn is stepping down in June and the gov of PR. is likely to be removed from office.

I assume that the point Wynn stops being a super is the point where Donna Edwards starts being a super. Considering both of them distributed pamphlets picturing them and Obama, I don't see an issue here.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
electricpirate said:
McCain is coasting on media good feelings right now

The Maverick And The Media

Chris Matthews of MSNBC has even called the press “McCain’s base” — a comment that Mr. McCain himself has jokingly reiterated.

Yet the reporters, so quick in general to jump on hypocrisy, seem to find his insincerity a virtue. When an old sobersides like Mitt Romney flip-flops, he is called a panderer. When Mr. McCain suddenly supports the tax cuts he once excoriated, or embraces the religious right, or emphasizes border security over a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants, we are told by his press acolytes that he doesn’t really mean it, that his liberal cosmology will ultimately best his conservative rhetoric.

Someone in this very thread was pushing the same b.s.--"wait till the general".

Diablos

BotoxAgent said:
Hillary's strategy:

Let the rest of the American people's voices be heard, so that I can override it later with the supers :lol :lol
Yeah.

Or bitch about states not mattering until you realize that they could help you.

Or add drama (lie) to trips taken to foreign countries to try and make a better impression on people.

Her stubborn incompetence shown this year is just unreal. Who would have ever thought the Clintons could fuck up an election? Seriously, if you told me she'd be doing all of this stuff, say, this time last year, I would have laughed at you and said you were an idiot. The Bill Clinton of the 1990's wouldn't have done this kind of crap. I'd like to think Hillary is thinking for herself 100%, but we all know Bill is backing and advising her every step of the way.

syllogism

Fragamemnon said:
Some of us are going to fight hard for her here in NC, but it's a lost cause, and most of Hillary supporters here know that the only way she can win, or even be close, for that matter, here is through an Obama implosion instead of any actions of her own campaign.
Do still think McCain will be easy to beat and the prolonged primary isn't hurting democrats? If not, why are you still going to campaign for her?

v1cious

Banned
Diablos said:
It doesn't even matter.

Hillary's going to take this to the convention.

if Hillary doesn't do well on may 6th, someone's gonna pull the plug. even if she won the remaining states 8 by 20 margins, there's no way she would catch up to Obama. the DNC is already putting pressure on her, as it is.

Diablos said:
Her stubborn incompetence shown this year is just unreal. Who would have ever thought the Clintons could fuck up an election?

Yeah, when this race started, I only questioned her electability not her credibility or ethics. But my attitude was that I will be behind her 100% no matter what. But after Iowa, my opinion of her started to change dramatically. I would never have though I'd end up hating her so much.

I guess it was arrogance and hubris. She thought she had it in the bag. But when the playing field got more leveled, her true colors showed and the whole fantasy world started crumbling for me. Only when the fight got more fair they decided to change the rules and the goal post, and it all looked starkingly amateurish :lol

McCain will be a harder opponent than I thought. Reporters are kind to him, and he has soften them up quite nicely with his BBQ and personality. It's even a tougher battle now thanks to HRC's selfishness.

APF

bob_arctor said:
"As Ryan Lizza described it last month in The New Yorker, a typical campaign day has Mr. McCain rumbling from one stop to another on his bus, the Straight Talk Express, sitting in the rear on a horseshoe-shaped leather couch surrounded by reporters and talking “until the room is filled with the awkward silence of journalists with no more questions.”"

Buh... buh... buh... more than eight questions???

Piper Az

http://thepage.time.com/pool-report-for-thursday-obama-new-york-city-fundraiser/

At a $1,000-a-plate fundraiser Thursday afternoon at the Credit Suisse building in Manhattan, Sen. Barack Obama echoed the themes he’d discussed in a speech about the economy earlier in the day.

“We have an economy that is out of balance,” Obama told the audience of about 300 supporters. “It’s one in which most of the people in this room have benefited enormously over the last decade - and I include myself in that group…but it is an economy that has left millions and millions of Americans behind.”

Restoring the economy, he said, “means putting in place a regulatory framework that’s up to the task of dealing with a global financial system and a new set of financial instruments…but more than anything, what’s important is restoring a sense that this is not a ‘you’re on your own’ society, that we’re a ‘we’re in this together’ society.”

The Illinois senator began his remarks with a barely-veiled shot at his primary opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton.
“I decided to run not because of some long-held ambitions or because I thought it was somehow owed to me - and certainly I wasn’t presumptuous enough to think it was my turn,” Obama said.

He dismissed concerns that the bruising Democratic primary would hurt the party’s chance of taking back the White House in November.

The Democratic primary “has gotten people engaged in politics who were never engaged before or who had forgotten what it’s like to be passionate about politics,” he said.

“I am absolutely confident that by the time this thing is over, the Democratic party will be completely unified.”
“For those of you who are just weary of the primary, and feeling kind of ground down or that it’s like a Bataan death mark, I just want everybody to know that the future is bright.”

He took about a half-dozen questions from the audience, addressing energy policy, the war in Iraq and how he will appeal to independent voters in the general election.

In discussing energy policy, Obama said the White House should seek to change people’s habits as well.

“I think the president needs to use the bully pulpit to change our culture…we are a wasteful culture. It’s always been that way because of our history. We do everything big.”

Asked negotiating with certain foreign leaders such as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Obama said:

“I think people understand the notion of talking to our enemies,” Obama said. “If FDR can meet with Stalin and Nixon can meet with Mao and Kennedy can meet with Khrushchev and Reagan can meet with Gorbechav, then the notion that we can’t meet with some half-baked dictator is ridiculous.”

“I’m not worried about losing a propaganda war with Ahmadinejad,” he said, “That guy opens his mouth and I think people see there are problems there.”

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is just in: people=sheep

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/The_Muslim_lie_lingers.html
White Democrats who hold unfavorable views of Obama are much more likely than those who have favorable opinions of him to express less tolerant views on race. In addition, nearly a quarter of Democrats (23%) who hold a negative view of Obama believe he is a Muslim.
There is little evidence that the recent news about Obama's affiliation with the United Church of Christ has dispelled the impression that he is Muslim. While voters who heard "a lot"about Reverend Wright's controversial sermons are more likely than those who have not to correctly identify Obama as a Christian, they are not substantially less likely to still believe that he is Muslim. Nearly one-in-ten (9%) of those who heard a lot about Wright still believe that Obama is Muslim.

This is no laughing matter, but still...

Diablos

BotoxAgent said:
Yeah, when this race started, I only questioned her electability not her credibility or ethics. But my attitude was that I will be behind her 100% no matter what. But after Iowa, my opinion of her started to change dramatically. I would never have though I'd end up hating her so much.
Yep. It took me a bit longer. After Iowa I was still pretty split. She really didn't start to get crazy until a month after Iowa.

I guess it was arrogance and hubris. She thought she had it in the bag. But when the playing field got more leveled, her true colors showed and the whole fantasy world started crumbling for me. Only when the fight got more fair they decided to change the rules and the goal post, and it all looked starkingly amateurish :lol
She basically did have it in the bag; Obama is the upset. She would have slaughtered every other candidate by now.

McCain will be a harder opponent than I thought. Reporters are kind to him, and he has soften them up quite nicely with his BBQ and personality. It's even a tougher battle now thanks to HRC's selfishness.
The fact that he actually made it this far is amazing. Everyone wrote him off as having no real chance, and now, look at him.

There's still a lot working against McCain, even within his own party. But the Democrats (Hillary) need to wrap this current stuff up.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
syllogism said:
Every time I see polls like that it makes me wonder if people are actually answering these questions seriously. I doubt it.
Mind you, those people are democrats. Maybe the US deserves four more years of Republican BS.

Xeke

Banned
If you haven't donated to Barack yet then now is the time.

Dinner with Barack

Too many political fundraisers are hosted by Washington lobbyists and filled with representatives of special interests.

But our campaign is different.

Our funding comes from a movement of more than one million supporters like you giving whatever they can afford.

Make a donation in any amount between now and 11:59 pm EDT on Monday, March 31st, and you could join Barack and three other supporters for an intimate dinner for five.

Triumph

Banned
XxenobladerxX said:
So all of Obama's supporters are hippies?

Fucking asshole,get he hell out of here with that bullshit...
Yeah, chill out. JD and I have a long standing banter of calling each other "hippie" and "heartless, mindless libertarian randdroid". All in fun!

thefro

KRS7 said:
What the hell are ethnic Americans I keep hearing about on TV? Are any Americans not ethnic?

Italians, Polish, a bit of Irish still, etc. Mainly the old geezers left who came over on the boat, or their children/grandchildren who still live in an "ethnic" community.

It's basically what's left of the immigrant Catholics.

mckmas8808

siamesedreamer said:
MSNBC is pretty much running a loop on the Wright story every half hour. Good times. :lol

But I thought MSNBC was biased and loved Obama?!?!

James Carville says that the Obama campaign did everything they could to stop people in Michign and Florida from voting... SHEESH.

I liked him in the Assassination of Jesse James but FUCK he's annoying when he blindly supports Hillary.

KRS7

polyh3dron said:
Tim Russert brought up that whole Farrakhan thing that Obama rejected and then subsequently denounced in addition.

You got that backwards, he denounced him and then rejected him to keep Clinton from whining.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, MSNBC does that with every political story until the next one comes up, they loop it every hour or so. Hannity has apparently taken to just broadcasting sermons of random other angry black preachers instead, oddly enough. Not even ones having to do with Obama at all.

KRS7 said:
What the hell are ethnic Americans I keep hearing about on TV? Are any Americans not ethnic?
I don't think there is such a thing as an ethnic American. There are ethnic Jews, ethnic Kurds, ethnic Albanians and a few other ones, but the idea of an ethnic American is laughable.

Boogie

mckmas8808 said:
You do know I was talking about innocent people right?

You do know I was talking about the biggest war in human history, right?

Your "talking" was self-serving emotional drivel, not anything resembling rational analysis.

The fact that innocent people died makes the atomic bombing a tragedy, but that doesn't change the fact that it was necessary. "Hating" the bombings, and "wishing" innocent people didn't die doesn't add anything to the discussion.

mckmas8808

Boogie said:
You do know I was talking about the biggest war in human history, right?

Your "talking" was self-serving emotional drivel, not anything resembling rational analysis.

The fact that innocent people died makes the atomic bombing a tragedy, but that doesn't change the fact that it was necessary. "Hating" the bombings, and "wishing" innocent people didn't die doesn't add anything to the discussion.

But see that's my problem with Americans and this dumbass thinking. We think to ourselves "it was necessary" therefore it was okay then and it should be okay tomorrow.

What is stopping us from doing that again on some terrorist area in some Arab country? And what makes terrorist killing thousands of people in other countries so bad if they think it is necessary for their cause?

Tamanon

Banned
It's always "necessary" to the people who write the history books:p

I agree that the first bomb was "necessary" personally, not so much on the second one.

Boogie

mckmas8808 said:
But see that's my problem with Americans and this dumbass thinking. We think to ourselves "it was necessary" therefore it was okay then and it should be okay tomorrow.

The only way you can judge Truman's decision is by rationally analyzing the situation HE WAS IN.

Now, I know you don't know much about that, so here's the short version.

Truman could have:

a) Invaded Japan, killing untold thousands of Americans and certainly more Japanese than died in the atomic bombings,

b) Continued the firebombing and blockade of Japan, which certainly would have killed more Japanese than the atomic bombings.

c) loosen the requirement for unconditional surrender

d) drop the atomic bombs, killing ~200,000 Japanese, and end the war.

The ONLY alternative that can even be legitimately discussed is option c.

My opinion, and that of many historians, is that would be unacceptable. You cannot go to war against a militaristic power, and then leave its militaristic leaders and bureaucracy in place.

Therefore, whatever whining bullshit you want to do, doesn't change the fact that the bombs were the right decision.

What is stopping us from doing that again on some terrorist area in some Arab country? And what makes terrorist killing thousands of people in other countries so bad if they think it is necessary for their cause?

The situation today is ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPARABLE to the Second World War, and you bringing it up shows your ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom