• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
geez, how fucked up does the war and economy have to get people to open their damn eyes and stop focusing on stupid shit like patriotism and lapel pins.

Atrus

Gold Member
Boogie said:
But the "surrender movement" as you put it had no sense of urgency, and was quite irreleveant.

You have a funny notion of relevance. So you're equating the same people that actually surrendered, and the ones that fought off the military coup of men who should have been convinced by the dropping of the bombs into surrender, as irrelevant.

Just because the US was pressured to conclude the war before the Soviets became invested doesn't mean that they need nuke civilians to keep that schedule.

Atrus

Gold Member
BotoxAgent said:
geez, how fucked up does the war and economy have to get people to open their damn eyes and stop focusing on stupid shit like patriotism and lapel pins.

Never? Partisan hacks will sacrifice everything to protect whatever meaningless traditions they have. They'll vote for the same party regardless of who or what platforms are being pushed.

I'm sure if Bush was allowed another term he'd have more support than McCain currently does.

Boogie

Atrus said:
You have a funny notion of relevance. So you're equating the same people that actually surrendered, and the ones that fought off the military coup of men who should have been convinced by the dropping of the bombs into surrender, as irrelevant.

Just because the US was pressured to conclude the war before the Soviets became invested doesn't mean that they need nuke civilians to keep that schedule.

I'm saying that the efforts of the "surrender movement" amounted to absolutely butkuss until the dropping of the bombs.

Atrus said:

The decision had little to do with the Soviets. Japan was not going to surrender under normal circumstances, and if you understood the history of the situation you'd know that. The atomic bomb saved more lives than it took, and was Truman's best option.

People who invest unnecessary emotion into the debate usually have little to no understanding of the issue, which is far more complicated then simple terms of what's "right" and "wrong."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
belvedere said:
Holy wow.

This seriously made an impact on me and for some, will definitely change one's perception of the U.S.

Very moving.

Why? What in it moved you?

Atrus

Gold Member
PhoenixDark said:
The decision had little to do with the Soviets. Japan was not going to surrender under normal circumstances, and if you understood the history of the situation you'd know that. The atomic bomb saved more lives than it took, and was Truman's best option.

People who invest unnecessary emotion into the debate usually have little to no understanding of the issue, which is far more complicated then simple terms of what's "right" and "wrong."

Your statement has little to do with the factual evidence nor did I inject so-called unnecessary emotion into the issue. Truman had many options at his disposal, and even in more tenuous situations such as the Chinese incursion in Korea, whereupon the A-bomb was demanded by Macarthur unlike in Japan, Truman opted not to and allowed the allies to be pushed back.

The excuse that the A-bomb saved lives is just that, an excuse, predisposed on the fact that the Japanese would never surrender which is an idea contrary to the facts. Coincidentally, the parts to the A-bomb was also delivered to Tinnin Island by the Indianapolis on July 26th, the same day as the Potsdam declaration for surrender and go ahead was given by the 3rd of August.

Peaceful negotiations were hardly on their minds.

Atrus

Gold Member
JCreasy said:
So I finally got a chance to listen to this: http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/loc...g/2008/03/hillary_bosnia_pilot_not_a_bul.html

I'm just blown away. I had no idea that almost everything Clinton said about the trip was a lie. Even the shit about the plane. I mean, damn. And I'm insulted that she tried to pulled this shit on the entire country. FUCKING A!!

Based on the fact she's tried to win this nomination by dredging anything she can from the bottom of the barrel I don't think there's really any room left for surprise. She'll do whatever it takes for her to win.

Its one of the reasons she can't even be Vice-President. You don't assign that position up based on who wants your job as president the most.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
XxenobladerxX said:
Shes a repulican :( But I guess I can give her a pass.
Fuck no! This was the b@T%@ I was trying to call out before and mistakenly called out someone else.

This chick needs to rot.

masud said:
Indeed. But I think she's a cyborg designed to lure us into the GOP. It might just work too.
The Republicans were created by Man.
They Rebelled.
They Evolved.
They Look
And Feel
Human.
Some are programmed to think they are Human.
There are many copies.
And they have a Plan.

v1cious

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Who is he losing?

the governor of Puerto Rico. he's about to be indicted.

also the Mccain quote is really old news. i've been saying for awhile on this board that this will sink him. no one seems to believe it though.

v1cious said:
also the Mccain quote is really old news. i've been saying for awhile on this board that this will sink him.

He spent five and a half years as a POW. Its a non-story. The Keating Five is what will be the focus.

By the way, anyone know if Obama's appearance on CNBC today is up on Youtube?

v1cious said:
the governor of Puerto Rico. he's about to be indicted.

also the Mccain quote is really old news. i've been saying for awhile on this board that this will sink him. no one seems to believe it though.

So a decade plus old quote that has had no effect on McCain in the past will "sink" him, but Obama's more recent Wright controversy - which is actually effecting numbers - will simply blow away right? mmk

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
JCreasy said:
So I finally got a chance to listen to this: http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/loc...g/2008/03/hillary_bosnia_pilot_not_a_bul.html

I'm just blown away. I had no idea that almost everything Clinton said about the trip was a lie. Even the shit about the plane. I mean, damn. And I'm insulted that she tried to pulled this shit on the entire country. FUCKING A!!

Yeah, but apparently the MM doesn't think its a huge deal. They're still masturbating over Wright. A presidential candidate blatantly and shamelessly lying to the public on numerous occasions is not as relevant, apparently.

v1cious

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
So a decade plus old quote that has had no effect on McCain in the past will "sink" him, but Obama's more recent Wright controversy - which is actually effecting numbers - will simply blow away right? mmk

we're not in the general election yet. Mccain's only slipping by, because of the democrat fight. i guarantee this will come back to haunt him. once it's down to two candidates, people are gonna be looking a lot closer at his past.

mashoutposse said:
Nice read, thanks

That was a good insight.

Wright's Letter To NYT About Obama

Dear Jodi:

Thank you for engaging in one of the biggest misrepresentations of the truth I have ever seen in sixty-five years. You sat and shared with me for two hours. You told me you were doing a "Spiritual Biography" of Senator Barack Obama. For two hours, I shared with you how I thought he was the most principled individual in public service that I have ever met.

For two hours, I talked with you about how idealistic he was. For two hours I shared with you what a genuine human being he was. I told you how incredible he was as a man who was an African American in public service, and as a man who refused to announce his candidacy for President until Carol Moseley Braun indicated one way or the other whether or not she was going to run.

I told you what a dreamer he was. I told you how idealistic he was. We talked about how refreshing it would be for someone who knew about Islam to be in the Oval Office. Your own question to me was, Didn't I think it would be incredible to have somebody in the Oval Office who not only knew about Muslims, but had living and breathing Muslims in his own family? I told you how important it would be to have a man who not only knew the difference between Shiites and Sunnis prior to 9/11/01 in the Oval Office, but also how important it would be to have a man who knew what Sufism was; a man who understood that there were different branches of Judaism; a man who knew the difference between Hasidic Jews, Orthodox Jews, Conservative Jews and Reformed Jews; and a man who was a devout Christian, but who did not prejudge others because they believed something other than what he believed.

I talked about how rare it was to meet a man whose Christianity was not just "in word only." I talked about Barack being a person who lived his faith and did not argue his faith. I talked about Barack as a person who did not draw doctrinal lines in the sand nor consign other people to hell if they did not believe what he believed.

Out of a two-hour conversation with you about Barack's spiritual journey and my protesting to you that I had not shaped him nor formed him, that I had not mentored him or made him the man he was, even though I would love to take that credit, you did not print any of that.

More here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/27/flashback-wrights-lette_n_93820.html

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yeah, as much publicity as this wright thing has gotten, it's amazing how no one has bothered to let HIM speak.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Can anyone send this to CNN, MSNBC... and maybe FOX.

Amazing read!

I doubt it's sensational enough the 24 hours news channels to bite....but it's worth a try. If anyone does send it, Roland Martin (CNN contributor) might be one of the few that might run with it then hopefully it will catch on.

VALIS

VERY interesting series of polls from the PEW Research Center released today: http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=407

I didn't see it on the last two pages so I assume it hasn't been posted yet. Here's just a sample, it's a long piece...

The videos of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's controversial sermons and Barack Obama's subsequent speech on race and politics have attracted more public attention than any events thus far in the 2008 presidential campaign. A majority of the public (51%) said they heard "a lot" about the videos, and an even larger percentage (54%) said they heard a lot about Obama's speech, according to the weekly News Interest Index.

Most voters aware of the sermons say they were personally offended by Wright's comments, and a sizable minority (35%) says that their opinion of Obama has grown less favorable because of Wright's statements.

However, the Wright controversy does not appear to have undermined support for Obama's candidacy. The latest nationwide survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted March 19-22 among 1,503 adults, finds that Obama maintains a 49% to 39% advantage over Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, which is virtually unchanged from than the 49% to 40% lead he held among Democrats in late February. Obama and Clinton continue to enjoy slight advantages over John McCain in general election matchups among all registered voters.

The new polling suggests that the Wright affair has not hurt Obama's standing, in part because his response to the controversy has been viewed positively by voters who favor him over Clinton. Obama's handling of the Wright controversy also won a favorable response from a substantial proportion of Clinton supporters and even from a third of Republican voters.

More than eight-in-ten supporters of Obama (84%) who have heard about the controversy over Wright's sermons say he has done an excellent or good job of dealing with the situation. Reactions from Clinton supporters, and Republicans, are on balance negative; however, 43% of Clinton voters and a third of Republican voters who have heard about the affair express positive opinions about Obama's handling of the situation.

I would have loved to see a poll on how many people have actually watched the sermons in question in their full(er) and original form. Too bad the MSM isn't interested in showing all of that footage that they themselves had to edit out that provides real context to the statements and terms that are so often the focus of the controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom