• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GaimeGuy said:
Yeah, as much publicity as this wright thing has gotten, it's amazing how no one has bothered to let HIM speak.

Why should they? Not letting him probably gives them higher ratings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
belvedere said:
Amazing.

I'd love to see this covered, but since it isn't an out of date video reel it cannot be looped for 24/7, and thus, probably won't be shown at all.

And the sad part is everybody in the press keep asking, "what is his relationship with Wright?" But now they have the guy himself saying that he didn't make Obama the person (public servent) that he is and watch no one care.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Slurpy said:
That was an awesome letter. It's sad that there's hardly any credibility left in the shit-faced, agenda based, bullshit journalism of today.
American journalism has been pretty shitty for a long time now. You can thank William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer for the bullshit and scandal-driven news.

Amir0x

Banned
reilo said:
Ooooooh. How significant is this? I know it won't swing the state to Obama, but could it mean just a single digit win for Hillary?

no single endorsement, save a combination Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore endorsement, could be THAT big of an impact here. It will help a bit though.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
reilo said:
Ooooooh. How significant is this? I know it won't swing the state to Obama, but could it mean just a single digit win for Hillary?
it'll matter even less than Kennedy and Kerry's endorsement did with regards to Massachusetts.

syllogism

scorcho said:
it'll matter even less than Kennedy and Kerry's endorsement did with regards to Massachusetts.
Perhaps, but that's not why the endorsement is significant

e: and Kennedy endorsement probably did have some effect, based on polls

Kildace said:
Obama now says he might have left church via Politico.

I'm not sure that this is the right strategy. If anything it might make the Wright thing make more headlines. We'll see.

Pretty stupid flip flop. If you're going to leave, leave. If not, don't say what you "might have" done because all it does is make you look insincere, like you're fishing for the most convenient answer without totally contradicting yourself.

Sounds like something Clinton would say. And no, I'm not particularly interested in the "fact" that this is an old quote, as if that makes it any better

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PhoenixDark said:
Pretty stupid flip flop. If you're going to leave, leave. If not, don't say what you "might have" done because all it does is make you look insincere, like you're fishing for the most convenient answer without totally contradicting yourself.

Sounds like something Clinton would say. And no, I'm not particularly interested in the "fact" that this is an old quote, as if that makes it any better

thats not a flipflop. why should he leave the church if wright isnt even the pastor anymore. what good does that do?

quadriplegicjon said:
thats not a flipflop. why should he leave the church if wright isnt even the pastor anymore. what good does that do?

Are you joking? We spent weeks arguing this story with you guys saying he shouldn't have left Wright's church, that there was no need to, that Wright didn't say anything controversial, etc. Now Obama comes out with this absolutely weak excuse of "oh well, if he was still there I might have left afterall!" and that's not a flip flop? What happened to not being able to separate from the community? Bullshit.

Obama just confirmed what I said weeks ago: he should have left the church. He had 20 years to make up his mind yet chose to make this comment only after Wright retired - ie after the whole thing became a fiasco. As I said, this is Clinton-esque. That's not leadership

tanod

when is my burrito
PhoenixDark said:
Are you joking? We spent weeks arguing this story with you guys saying he shouldn't have left Wright's church, that there was no need to, that Wright didn't say anything controversial, etc. Now Obama comes out with this absolutely weak excuse of "oh well, if he was still there I might have left afterall!" and that's not a flip flop? What happened to not being able to separate from the community? Bullshit.

Obama just confirmed what I said weeks ago: he should have left the church. He had 20 years to make up his mind yet chose to make this comment only after Wright retired - ie after the whole thing became a fiasco. As I said, this is Clinton-esque. That's not leadership

He said that IF Wright hadn't retired, he probably would have left the church. That's not at all a flip-flop. Geezus :|

syllogism

'Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country -- for all its flaws -- then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying there at the church."

Of course PD is operating under the assumption he knew about all the extreme views of the pastor.

tanod

when is my burrito
Anybody see this poll last night on MSNBC:

Is the country ready to elect?

African American - 72%
Woman - 71%
Person over age 70: 61%

Not surprising results, really. After watching Morning Joe, they were talking about the dream ticket of Obama/Clinton. I told my wife this morning that I think that kind of ticket would be too much change for some people to swallow.

Personally, I think a dream ticket would be Obama/Bloomberg (for the economics cred) or Obama/Richardson (for the foreign policy, energy cred).

I think Edwards is holding out for a VP spot before he endorses and I don't think either candidate wants to give it to him.

tanod said:
He said that IF Wright hadn't retired, he probably would have left the church. That's not at all a flip-flop. Geezus :|

In other words, if Wright was still pastor of the church today he would have left. Wright was pastor of the church for 20 years. He made his disgusting comments years ago. Yet Obama didn't realize attending his church was a problem until after it was exposed. Please explain that to me. This is the weakest excuse I've heard in awhile - well, since Hillary's Bosnia explanation

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PhoenixDark said:

20 years to make up his mind? are you telling me that you believe wright had been saying these things for 20 years?

come on now. you arent that dense. If he hadnt retired, AND IF he hadnt cleared up the comments, obama probably would have left the church. how is that a flip-flop?

the main problem here is that obama keeps talking about it.. allowing his words to get twisted, instead of dropping it all together. he has already said all that he needs to on the issue.

PhoenixDark said:
In other words, if Wright was still pastor of the church today he would have left. Wright was pastor of the church for 20 years. He made his disgusting comments years ago. Yet Obama didn't realize attending his church was a problem until after it was exposed. Please explain that to me. This is the weakest excuse I've heard in awhile - well, since Hillary's Bosnia explanation

Now your just willfully ignoring the AND operand of the statement.

quadriplegicjon said:
20 years to make up his mind? are you telling me that you believe wright had been saying these things for 20 years?

come on now. you arent that dense. If he hadnt retired, AND IF he hadnt cleared up the comments, obama probably would have left the church. how is that a flip-flop?

the main problem here is that obama keeps talking about it.. allowing his words to get twisted, instead of dropping it all together. he has already said all that he needs to on the issue.

Do you honestly believe Obama first heard the AIDS comment last month? Honestly. Do you honestly think he just found out about the Farakhan comments, or the Hamas postings? Those videos were on Youtube last year: this isn't a new story that magically appeared last month.

I call it a flip flop because just a couple weeks ago he said he couldn't separate himself from his pastor or congregation no more than he could separate himself from the black community. I call it a flip flop because Obama knew about his pastor's appalling comments for years and never batted an eye publically until the media jumped on the story; Hannity was railing against Wright last year when the rest of the media was ignoring the story. I call it a flip flop because Obama runs a campaign that allegedly transcends race yet willingly sat in a church who's pastor suggested the "government" (wink wink) created AIDS to destroy the black man. I call it a flip flop because just a few months ago Obama claimed that if anyone on his staff used words like Imus did, they'd be off the campaign - yet this apparently didn't apply to Wright, who made worse comments years before.

Defending this is quite sad.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
AltogetherAndrews said:
So is Hilary still in this, even after that Bosnia mess-up? It seems to have blown over rather quickly for the "comeback kid", and that's just plain nauseating.

Remember Hillary's goal. She wants to be President, and believes she is entitled to it. She knows she will not win this time. She knows that she will not be able to steal the nomination. For all this talk about winning via. superdelegate, she knows that wont work. Her goal at this point is to make sure Obama can't win, hope McCain screws up during his 4 years, and make another run at it in 2012 with a "You should have picked me, I would have won" strategy.

DrForester said:
Remember Hillary's goal. She wants to be President, and believes she is entitled to it. She knows she will not win this time. She knows that she will not be able to steal the nomination. For all this talk about winning via. superdelegate, she knows that wont work. Her goal at this point is to make sure Obama can't win, hope McCain screws up during his 4 years, and make another run at it in 2012 with a "You should have picked me, I would have won" strategy.

Why are you suggesting that as if it's fact? While it does make some sense (think about it: McCain won't be able to do much with the big majorities the dems should have in the house and senate...so she could easily hijack him for four years), overall it's rather unlikely.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
PhoenixDark said:
Why are you suggesting that as if it's fact? While it does make some sense (think about it: McCain won't be able to do much with the big majorities the dems should have in the house and senate...so she could easily hijack him for four years), overall it's rather unlikely.

Because it sounds much more factual than believing that Hillary really believes she can win the nomination with super delegates and steal the nomination from Obama. No matter what you think of how Hillary might do as President, no one can deny she is a very smart woman. She can't not be stupid enough to think her plan to win the nomination this time will work.

Yes, what I said is speculation, but it makes way to much sense,

Evander

"industry expert"
DrForester said:

How is she going to overcome the "you threw the game" hatred?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PhoenixDark said:
Well, her campaign certainly suggested it with their actions, when they attacked Richardson after he endorsed Obama.

Saying a superdelegate endorsing a different candidate from Hillary is an "act of betrayal" implies a sense of entitlement, and it is only one of several instances where the conduct of the Clinton campaign has suggested a sense of entitlement.

Evander

"industry expert"
GaimeGuy said:
Well, her campaign certainly suggested it with their actions, when they attacked Richardson after he endorsed Obama.

Saying a superdelegate endorsing a different candidate from Hillary is an "act of betrayal" implies a sense of entitlement, and it is only one of several instances where the conduct of the Clinton campaign has suggested a sense of entitlement.

"only" one of several?

as far as I can tell, entitlement has been her entire campaign.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dean can't simply 'shut it down', but they're laying the groundwork to get these superdelegates to make their choice by the end of the primary season. peer pressure is a wonderous thing.

Evander said:
I have no special love for Obama.

But there is no fucking way I'd vote for Clinton.
No matter how many negative attacks and lies she have tripped face first over for, Hillary and Obama is basically carbon copies of each other.

Any democrat IS better then Mccain. FACT

harSon

Banned
topsyturvy said:
No matter how many negative attacks and lies she have tripped face first over for, Hillary and Obama is basically carbon copies of each other.

Any democrat IS better then Mccain. FACT

More of a biased opinion :) I agree, although one of the democratic candidates is considerably worst than the other (That candidate being Hillary, and yes, that is a biased opinion as well).

harSon said:
Not even Obama can get me to watch the view.

I watch the view just about every Friday since I don't have school

The first part of the interview started off as Sesame Street, but later Walters started asking tough questions on Wright. Obama defended himself firmly and didn't lose his cool, even after Elizabeth kept hounding him. But interestingly at one point he characterized Wright as important to him/his family, then later said he was "just a pastor".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom