• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
okay, but obama never said he was his idol. and even so, those teachers, coaches, and uncles.. are still.. only teachers, coaches, and uncles. what exactly was wrong with his statement. furthermore. what exactly was the context of that statement?

exactly! i was just thinking about this earlier today. hell, my own father has influenced my life greatly.. he is a good man, but has many flaws.. that doesnt mean i should disown him because of those flaws.. this whole thing is so damn foolish..
Have you seen american gansta? He remind me of frank and the older guy. Without spreading the negative message.

EDIT: CHEEBS said it better.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
syllogism said:
Rasmussen: obama +2% (-2 yesterday)

032808DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

could we all move past these Gallup/Rasmussen daily polls? they're essentially meaningless (within the margin of error) and have followed a typical figure 8 pattern since Super Tuesday.

Evander

"industry expert"
quadriplegicjon said:
exactly! i was just thinking about this earlier today. hell, my own father has influenced my life greatly.. he is a good man, but has many flaws.. that doesnt mean i should disown him because of those flaws.. this whole thing is so damn foolish..

My father is a great man who has done a lot of admirable things. He also happens to hate koreans. I guess it's time for me to disown him.

Obama's CNBC interview pretty much proves he is more vision than policy. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I personally would rather have someone who sticks to their approaches rather than backtracks every time they are further questioned.

ari

Banned
Evander said:
My father is a great man who has done a lot of admirable things. He also happens to hate koreans. I guess it's time for me to disown him.
problem with that logic is that Obama actually disowned him...swiftly too. If Obama didn't had nothing to lose, he'll be going to that church and listening to his sermons today.

Its all politics my friends.

thefro

siamesedreamer said:
Obama's CNBC interview pretty much proves he is more vision than policy. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I personally would rather have someone who sticks to their approaches rather than backtracks every time they are further questioned.

He recognizes there's more than one side to every argument and that someone he disagrees with may have an idea that helps out everyone. He can also change his mind.

Those aren't bad qualities at all.

scorcho said:
could we all move past these Gallup/Rasmussen daily polls? they're essentially meaningless (within the margin of error) and have followed a typical figure 8 pattern since Super Tuesday.
obv a hillary person

Evander

"industry expert"
ari said:
I slightly edited it, but thats what i meant anyway.

Oh, I denounce my father's anti-korean statements all the time.

Nothing political about that. I agree with most of what my father has to say, but not when it involves koreans.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It is kind of amazing that people are still arguing about Wright with the current shitstorm around Hillary's camp. Bosnia, the failed smearing, her complete disregard of the democratic system...

sangreal

scorcho said:

I mostly agree, but this poll is not within the margin of error. The MoE is around +-3%

I believe this is also the largest lead Obama has ever held in the gallup tracking poll

maynerd

Banned
For those concerned about the Wright thing, what do you want Obama to do?

He has already said he didn't agree with what Wright said.

If he says he's not going to the church anymore you'd say oh he was doing it for political reasons.

He's done enough to satisify my concerns.

gcubed

PhoenixDark said:
Eh, I got the impression that he was trying to distance himself.

The entire crux of Obama's argument is that he didn't hear about Wright's comments until recently, and that if he did he would have distanced himself earlier. I don't believe either assertion, especially considering the comments were out there last year. But if Obama wants to make his bed, that's fine with me; he'll be fucked if it's proven that he did hear about them earlier.

The interview is still going on. Overall he's doing very well. Sure it's a cake walk interview session but he's laying out good ideas

i havent had a chance to hear his new comments about possibly not belonging to the church if Wright hadnt retired, but i cant defend it if he said it. What he really needs to do right now is just pick a line and stick with it. Anytime he changes what he says it brings more criticism that he doesnt need. Hillary is doing enough to kill herself off lately between Bosnia and the letter to Pelosi, he just needs to toe the line and wait.

syllogism

scorcho said:
This thread isn't exactly a bastion of insightful political commentary so frankly these daily polls are more interesting than anything else. If you look at the GE polls they've been much more stable and it's hard to attribute the swings to MoE alone as they usually do correlate with specific events.

thefro said:
He recognizes there's more than one side to every argument and that someone he disagrees with may have an idea that helps out everyone. He can also change his mind.

Those aren't bad qualities at all.

That's not how I would describe that interview.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
maynerd said:
For those concerned about the Wright thing, what do you want Obama to do?

He has already said he didn't agree with what Wright said.

If he says he's not going to the church anymore you'd say oh he was doing it for political reasons.

He's done enough to satisify my concerns.
a large part of it is false outraged argued from an already biased point of view. friends of mine who are Clinton supporters (not hard to find in NYC) harp on this issue because they can - it's a soundbyte issue that doesn't lend itself well to nuanced answers. see also: National Review's idiotic bloggers commenting right after the speech.

APF

Cheebs said:
It's all silly. Obama never had a father figure in his life and when he came to Chicago as a 24-25 year old young man with no family or friends he latched onto Wright as someone who gave him the attention and guidance he wasn't getting.
Not that I still want to argue this, but I'm not sure the above helps distance Obama from Wright's sentiments. Plus at this point we have people arguing too many differing positions: he's both just a Pastor yet he's so much much more than just a Pastor; he would have dropped him if he had heard this stuff yet he could never drop him; etc. If I were an Obama fan I'd have just stopped talking about this, period; the more the relationship is being spun, the more incoherent the whole thing becomes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
APF said:
Not that I still want to argue this, but I'm not sure the above helps distance Obama from Wright's sentiments. Plus at this point we have people arguing too many differing positions: he's both just a Pastor yet he's so much much more than just a Pastor; he would have dropped him if he had heard this stuff yet he could never drop him; etc. If I were an Obama fan I'd have just stopped talking about this, period; the more the relationship is being spun, the more incoherent the whole thing becomes.

How in the hell can you tell someone that likes Obama what to talk about and not talk about as if it will hurt Obama? :lol

I think what he has said about Wright has been fine. And ALL polls agree with me.

syllogism

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
Think this will make Jon Stewart?

Clinton supporter Joe Sestak was on with NBC's Andrea Mitchell during the 1 pm MSNBC hour, and slipped in one response. Mitchell asked him if he was concerned that if this fight goes to convention that it could tear apart the party.

Sestak replied that he's not, that he's confident that if Obama were to lose the nomination, he'd turn around and say, "Support her." And if Clinton were to lose the nomination, she would turn around and say, "Support me."

Whoops.

Shaking his head, Sestak quickly corrected: "Support him."

We know what he meant, but still funny.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/28/833340.aspx

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Funky Papa said:
It is kind of amazing that people are still arguing about Wright with the current shitstorm around Hillary's camp. Bosnia, the failed smearing, her complete disregard of the democratic system...

seriously. hillary blatantly lied about multiple things (the whole bosnia story, and NAFTA), meanwhile obama's pastor offended white people.

which is honestly more important?

mckmas8808

quadriplegicjon said:
seriously. hillary blatantly lied about multiple things (the whole bosnia story, and NAFTA), meanwhile obama's pastor offended white people.

We know which one is more important, but in today's MSM the Wright story is just waaaay too sexy not to over hype.

Ikael

The chance of attacking Obama by fearmongering and and pandering to the the big portion of white people that fears "the revenge of the negroes". I bet that that if he ends up being the democratic candidate that is what the republicans will use against him.

Cheebs

I have been re-reading Obama's book again, first time in a while and I always find something so interesting.

The fact he had such a liberal upbringing. I have read both Bill and Hillary's books. Hillary's parents were staunch republicans, Bill's mother and grandparents who raised him were southern conservative dixiecrats. Both grew up in traditional conservative weekly church service households.

Obama's mother and his grandparents who raised him were all 3 very, very socially liberal and all for the most part open atheists.

Have we ever had a nominee who grew up in such a socially liberal environment? I can't think of any.

Particle Physicist

ari said:
The effects is showing in the polls. I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

im complaining about certain people in this thread constantly bringing this shit up again.. while completely ignoring the other, rather obvious, and quite large, flaws in their candidate of choice.

ari

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
im complaining about certain people in this thread constantly bringing this shit up again.. while completely ignoring the other, rather obvious, and quite large, flaws in their candidate of choice.
If i'm not mistaken, it was you and PD that brought it up. Either way, I think posters have the right to post negative or positive things about other candidates...don't you think?

APF

quadriplegicjon said:
hillary being a blatant liar.. is not important?
The story is more embarrassing than anything else. Obama lies about whether or not he hears controversial statements, lies about whether or not his people have spoken to the Canadian government about NAFTA, his own advisors say we can't take his word as truth when talking about his own policies... People accept a little exaggeration with their politics, and Obama is no different than anyone else.

mckmas8808

APF said:
The story is more embarrassing than anything else. Obama lies about whether or not he hears controversial statements, lies about whether or not his people have spoken to the Canadian government about NAFTA, his own advisors say we can't take his word as truth when talking about his own policies... People accept a little exaggeration with their politics, and Obama is no different than anyone else.

How do you know Obama lied about whether he heard controversial statements from Wright and about the NAFTA thing?

And how is what Hillary done a little exaggeration, while Obama straight lies? Oh I'm sorry I forgot who I'm talking to. *smacks head*

Particle Physicist

ari said:
If i'm not mistaken, it was you and PD that brought it up. Either way, I think posters have the right to post negative or positive things about other candidates...don't you think?

you are mistaken. dont pin this on me. i didnt bring this up. PD brought it up.. and i wasnt the only one to respond.. i wasnt even the first to respond.. hell, you even commented as well...

the fact is, this has been debated to death.. and its such a retarded issue.. it would be a complete non-issue if the media wasnt trying to manipulate this race.

i just find it hilarious how certain posters tend to ignore certain aspects about hillary, which are quite telling about her character.. (complete and blatant lies in an attempt to manipulate the voting public), yet continue to propagate this garbage as if what someone else said came out of obama's mouth.

harSon

Banned
APF said:

Two of which are completely false.

ari

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
you are mistaken. i didnt bring this up. PD brought it up.. and i wasnt the only one to respond.. you even commented as well...

the fact is, this has been debated to death.. and its such a retarded issue.. it would be a complete non-issue if the media wasnt trying to manipulate this race.

i just find it hilarious how certain posters tend to ignore certain aspects about hillary, which are quite telling about her character.. (complete and blatant lies in an attempt to manipulate the voting public), yet continue to propagate this garbage as if what someone else said came out of obama's mouth.
So because you feel its a non issue, others should feel that way? Got it.

And what exactly do you want me and other posters to do? Post a flaw of our candidate everytime we post a negative one about yours? cry more.

syllogism

Chelsea throws Bill under the bus

From NBC/NJ's Matthew Berger
ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Chelsea Clinton was asked whether her mother would be a better president than her father, and she said yes.

Speaking at Lehigh Valley Hospital Friday, she laughed when a man in the front row asked her to choose between her parents.

“His question is, ‘Do I think my mother will be a better president than my father,’” she said. “Well, again, I don’t take anything for granted, but hopefully with Pennsylvania’s help, she will be our next president, and yes, I do think she’ll be a better president.”

Clinton spoke for more than an hour at the hospital, taking mostly questions about healthcare issues.

Particle Physicist

ari said:
So because you feel its a non issue, others should feel that way? Got it.

and what exactly do you want me and other posters to do? Post a flaw of our candidate everytime we post a negative one about yours? cry moar.

:lol what do you think about hillary lying about NAFTA.. what about lying about Bosnia?

step 1:

how about even commenting?

really though. my mistake was responding in the first place.. i should just ignore these comments that are based on willful ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom