• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRS7

GhaleonEB said:
She's apparantly taking it to heart.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

All the way to the convention, baby.

Yesterday, I was reading about all the shenanigans in Texas. Regardless of which side most of it came from, it left many participants really upset. There were reports from all over the state about shady things happening during closed door committee meetings.

Why on earth would we want more of this? Hillary responding to a question about Florida and Michigan said "We'll resolve it at the convention, that's what credentials committees are for.''

Do we really want a fucking credentials committee fight at the national convention? Denver would make Saturday's squabbles in Texas look friendly. I think she has completely lost it.

I am worried that if Obama doesn't have enough delegates to win if he allows FL and MI, then he won't let them be seated. He will likely have enough delegates to control the credentials committee. You have Hillary now saying that a nominee who wins without those states is illegitimate. A credentials committee fight will be ugly, and will give many on the Clinton side grounds to claim the nomination was stolen from them, and that Obama is not a legitimate nominee. If this happens you will likely be seeing McCain inaugurated in January. Party leaders have been saying that there will be a nominee before the convention. But with the way this election has been going I can't believe a word they say.

Hillary said:
"I know there are some people who want to shut this down and I think they are wrong. I have no intention of stopping until we finish what we started and until we see what happens in the next 10 contests and until we resolve Florida and Michigan. And if we don't resolve it, we'll resolve it at the convention -- that's what credentials committees are for."

I'm glad she's saying this. It only pushes superdelegates away from her.

Tamanon

Banned
KRS7 said:
Yesterday, I was reading about all the shenanigans in Texas. Regardless of which side most of it came from, it left many participants really upset. There were reports from all over the state about shady things happening during closed door committee meetings.

Why on earth would we want more of this? Hillary responding to a question about Florida and Michigan said "We'll resolve it at the convention, that's what credentials committees are for.''

Do we really want a fucking credentials committee fight at the national convention? Denver would make Saturday's squabbles in Texas look friendly. I think she has completely lost it.

I am worried that if Obama doesn't have enough delegates to win if he allows FL and MI, then he won't let them be seated. He will likely have enough delegates to control the credentials committee. You have Hillary now saying that a nominee who wins without those states is illegitimate. A credentials committee fight will be ugly, and will give many on the Clinton side grounds to claim the nomination was stolen from them, and that Obama is not a legitimate nominee. If this happens you will likely be seeing McCain inaugurated in January. Party leaders have been saying that there will be a nominee before the convention. But with the way this election has been going I can't believe a word they say.

This is all leading to Nader/Clinton '08 giving McCain the presidency:p

Lefty42o

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
We get no pic today? :(
:D

n506264847_685973_8095.jpg

033008DailyUpdateGraph1_ponm_bf730lslmnvp2.gif

KRS7

I love how many pundits were saying the Bosnia didn't matter and that all anyone should care about was Obama's pastor.

Well, it looks like the voters care when a candidate for president completely makes up stories to pad their resume.

Then again that wouldn't explain Obama's rise. Obama has gained more than Clinton has lost in the past 5 days. I have no idea whats going on either, but I like it.

Lefty42o

Banned
XxenobladerxX said:
Jesus christ,what the hell is going on?

FRANK RICH thinks that Bosnia was Senator Clinton's macaca moment: "Last week Mrs. Clinton learned the hard way that Iraq, racial gamesmanship and viral video can destroy a Democrat, too."

http://dyn.politico.com/playbook/

wright was nothing compared to words coming from a candidates own mouth. and as a voter in virginia that saw what happened to george allen i think this race is over.

Tamanon

Banned
It's just the negatives of Obama weren't personal ones so they wore off, the Clinton ones are directly about her as a person, so they persist and add up.

syllogism

PhoenixDark said:
Wow

I didn't expect the Bosnia thing to hurt her significantly, but it seems like that and something else is killing her.
It could also be all the talk about the protracted primary hurting the party. This would explain why Hillary is finally aggressively stating her intend to go all the way. I doubt the lead really is 10% though.

Lefty42o

Banned
syllogism said:
It could also be all the talk about the protracted primary hurting the party. This would explain why Hillary is finally aggressively stating her intend to go all the way. I doubt the lead really is 10% though.

i think it could be higher than 10. its like deja vu. I really didn't think george allens words would hurt him cause all of us in virginia knew he was a racist and we voted him back every time.

But seeing him in that grainy crappy video really sank it in. hillary will not recover from this. thats the new world of youtube.

GhaleonEB

Good column from Frank Rich at the NYT on the Bosnia story and how significant it is.

His conclusion:

The 2008 campaign is, unsurprisingly enough, mostly of a piece with 2006, when Iraq cost Republicans the Congress. In that year’s signature race, a popular Senate incumbent, George Allen, was defeated by a war opponent in the former Confederate bastion of Virginia after being caught race-baiting in a video posted on the Web. Last week Mrs. Clinton learned the hard way that Iraq, racial gamesmanship and viral video can destroy a Democrat, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/opinion/30rich.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

siamesedreamer said:
So what happens when she wins PA by a greater amount than the Gallop poll?
She might, but the last poll from last week had her ahead by 10. But we still have what, three weeks to go? Plenty of time for things to be shaken up in either direction.

harSon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

She would prove them wrong, Pennsylvania is obviously the only state represented in the national polls.

Lefty42o

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

1. gallup not gallop

2. this is a national poll pa is a single state

3. we have had no polling in awhile from pa and my feeling today is she could possibly end up losing pa .

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the poll results more than the Bosnia story are because the media has actually been reporting all these stories about people asking Clinton to drop out. Media outlets seem to more and more letting people say flat out that Clinton has no chance to win this, and that seems to be spreading.

Hootie

siamesedreamer said:

She will gain an insignificant amount of delegates and no real damage will be done.

That's what will happen.

Cheebs

siamesedreamer said:
The same thing that happened when she won TX/Ohio. A small two or a three day bump that quickly dissapears.

And unlike Ohio/Texas the media isn't playing up PA as close at all.

Lefty42o

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I agree. She'll still blow him out in Penn. but it might just be water under the ownange bridge by then

:lol

blow him out?. a blow out in a election is defined by 15 point or higher margin. last poll we had was a week ago and it showed a 10 point lead. all of this during the heat of the wright story and before this youtube classic campaign killing moment of her bosnia trip.

since the last pa poll obama has gained 12 points nationally and now has his highest lead ever and the highest lead by any candidate since super tuesday. theres a trend that pa is back in play and not the blow out it looked 2 or 3 weeks ago.

sounds familiar doesn't it.

Cheebs

Lefty42o said:
:lol

blow him out?. a blow out in a election is defined by 15 point or higher margin. last poll we had was a week ago and it showed a 10 point lead. all of this during the heat of the wright story and before this youtube classic campaign killing moment of her bosnia trip.
A fact that must be remembered. In prominently blue collar states Hillary tends to outperform polls slightly (Ohio, New Jersey...etc) much like Obama out-performs polls in states with high AA populations.

To be safe I'd pad Hillary's lead in the 2-3 days before the primary with an extra 3% based on how states similar to PA perform for her vs. polling.

APF

Obama's lies about his life story:

WaPo said:
Obama Overstates Kennedys' Role in Helping His Father
Addressing civil rights activists in Selma, Ala., a year ago, Sen. Barack Obama traced his "very existence" to the generosity of the Kennedy family, which he said paid for his Kenyan father to travel to America on a student scholarship and thus meet his Kansan mother.

[...]

It is a touching story -- but the key details are either untrue or grossly oversimplified.

Contrary to Obama's claims in speeches in January at American University and in Selma last year, the Kennedy family did not provide the funding for a September 1959 airlift of 81 Kenyan students to the United States that included Obama's father. According to historical records and interviews with participants, the Kennedys were first approached for support for the program nearly a year later, in July 1960. The family responded with a $100,000 donation, most of which went to pay for a second airlift in September 1960.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton acknowledged yesterday that the senator from Illinois had erred in crediting the Kennedy family with a role in his father's arrival in the United States. He said the Kennedy involvement in the Kenya student program apparently "started 48 years ago, not 49 years ago as Obama has mistakenly suggested in the past."

[...]

A more accurate version of the story would begin not with the Kennedys but with a Kenyan nationalist leader named Tom Mboya, who traveled to the United States in 1959 and 1960 to persuade thousands of Americans to support his efforts to educate a new African elite. Mboya did not approach the Kennedys for financial support until Obama Sr. was already studying in Hawaii.

[...]

Obama's Selma speech offers a very confused chronology of both the Kenya student program and the civil rights movement. Relating the story of how his parents met, Obama said: "There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Junior was born. So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama."

After bloggers pointed out that the Selma bridge protest occurred four years after Obama's birth, a spokesman explained that the senator was referring to the civil rights movement in general, rather than any one event.

Interesting article outside the Obama stuff though too; read it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/29/AR2008032902031_pf.html

Lefty42o

Banned
Amir0x said:
i think you should lower expectations for yourself, Lefty. Just sayin', as a Pennsylvania dude.

oh if you ask me for a honest prediction i would say 5-10 point hillary win. thats not a blow out as PD suggests.

and i think pa is in play with 3 weeks or so to go. we really need some new pa polling and hope we get some.

Lefty42o

Banned

APF

Lefty42o said:
no he misspoke. the Kennedy's did give money to the program he had his dates wrong.
No, he had the story wrong. Misspeaking--as people here said re: Hillary's story--is accidentally saying one thing when you really mean something else; not making up something because it sounds better. smh at the hypocrisy.

"So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama" is not "mispeaking." It's deliberate speech that's based on a false premise.

Tamanon

Banned
APF said:
No, he had the story wrong. Misspeaking--as people here said re: Hillary's story--is accidentally saying one thing when you really mean something else; not making up something because it sounds better. smh at the hypocrisy.

Yeah I can't stand the hypocrisy going on here!

belvedere

Junior Butler
APF said:

Accident and Hillary's "story" don't belong in the same sentence. Mostly because they were stories, and occurred more than once.

harSon

Banned
APF said:

He didn't make up something, he had the facts wrong. Making up something would have been saying his dad escaped a war torn Kenya and was greeted in the US by mask wearing white men and lynch ropes just so he could pursue a higher education.

APF

belvedere said:
Accident and Hillary's "story" don't belong in the same sentence.
Then why did you just use them in the same sentence? Anyway, your interpretation of my post is wrong, I didn't suggest Hillary's inflating that story was an "accident."

Edit for harSon: incorrect. He made up the connection to Kennedy as well as his birth story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom