• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
i didn't know the republican senate was running for the presidency.

It's a non-issue, but it's kinda stupid.

Well the outrage is that he's somehow desecrating the symbol. It is a non-issue, plus it just looked tacky anyways.:lol

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
This is what cracks me up about the seal, which just looked bad.

http://www.nrsc.org/membership/

Look at the third symbol. But it's ok for them to do it:p

That is DEFINITELY cheesy but I think the distinction is that seems to be basically a benefit for donors, I'm not sure they ever actually appear with that (I could be entirely wrong) and I know of no previous candidate that had a faux presidential seal made up.

Lopaz - the problem is that it's fine to assume you're going to win and have faith in your candidacy - but not to the point where you believe it's a foregone conclusion no matter what people think. I mean, think of it kind of like the reaction to Hillary's "inevitability" got early on, she was the candidate everyone thought would win and she ran on her "inevitability" and voters didn't like that (it was far from the only thing but it was a perceived negative by some). I just don't think it plays well to take it that far.

oh, and I get what you're saying about public financing, to me though it's a free speech issue (represented by people giving money to their candidate of choice) I don't believe that people should be limited in using that form of expression of favor for their candidate.

lopaz

Banned
Gaborn said:
Lopaz - the problem is that it's fine to assume you're going to win and have faith in your candidacy - but not to the point where you believe it's a foregone conclusion no matter what people think. I mean, think of it kind of like the reaction to Hillary's "inevitability" got early on, she was the candidate everyone thought would win and she ran on her "inevitability" and voters didn't like that (it was far from the only thing but it was a perceived negative by some). I just don't think it plays well to take it that far.

oh, and I get what you're saying about public financing, to me though it's a free speech issue (represented by people giving money to their candidate of choice) I don't believe that people should be limited in using that form of expression of favor for their candidate.

Well I dunno, I don't think using the seal necessarily says that. He's running for President, makes sense to use Presidential imagery. And I disagree on the second point, cause it could give undue influence to certain groups, but hey, libertarian right? I understand.

Gaborn

lopaz said:
Well I dunno, I don't think using the seal necessarily says that. He's running for President, makes sense to use Presidential imagery. And I disagree on the second point, cause it could give undue influence to certain groups, but hey, libertarian right? I understand.

Yeah, I don't view it as undue influence, I view it as people using their money as they wish.

Still, I think the seal was tacky, you don't, that's fine :D

Gaborn

the disgruntled gamer said:
The seal was pretty tacky looking, but holy fuck, what a nontroversy.

This is a political race where there's literally nothing new to talk about, everything is controversial. Hell, if Michelle Obama sneezes Barack better be ready with a "God Bless You" cause otherwise that'll be talked about. Give me a DEBATE, give me a VP, give me SOMETHING, cause until then things like this are going to be talked about.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gaborn said:
This is a political race where there's literally nothing new to talk about, everything is controversial. Hell, if Michelle Obama sneezes Barack better be ready with a "God Bless You" cause otherwise that'll be talked about. Give me a DEBATE, give me a VP, give me SOMETHING, cause until then things like this are going to be talked about.

There is PLENTY to talk about. There are clear and vast differences between the two candidates and this election is more important to the stability of this nation than anything.

The media just needs to get their heads out of their collective fucking asses already.

reilo

scorcho said:
wait, what happened to SD?

He was banned for a racist comment a while back, unbanned today, then banned just a few minutes ago.

Gaborn

reilo said:
There is PLENTY to talk about. There are clear and vast differences between the two candidates and this election is more important to the stability of this nation than anything.

The media just needs to get their heads out of their collective fucking asses already.

They won't though, because the media is entertainment driven and story driven rather than substantive analysis... until that BECOMES the story.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
reilo said:
He was banned for a racist comment a while back, unbanned today, then banned just a few minutes ago.
oh, i know the chronology, but wtf was he banned for NOW?

reilo

scorcho said:
oh, i know the chronology, but wtf was he banned for NOW?

Probably all the shit he got away with in the past is coming back to haunt him?

db080623.gif

GhaleonEB

I think it's indicative of the coverage we're going to get going forward that there's barely any mention of McCain's adviser saying a terrorist attack on the US would be beneficial to their political campaign. If someone in the Obama camp said that, it would be a feeding frenzy. I'm floored the MSM is barely talking about it, online at least. It's the most vile thing to come out the entire cycle so far.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I think it's indicative of the coverage we're going to get going forward that there's barely any mention of McCain's adviser saying a terrorist attack on the US would be beneficial to their political campaign. If someone in the Obama camp said that, it would be a feeding frenzy. I'm floored the MSM is barely talking about it, online at least. It's the most vile thing to come out the entire cycle so far.
While I agree that the media would be all over this story if this had been an Obama campaigner who said that, I can certainly see why it became a nontroversy. I mean, it doesn't really seem that vile to me. It's a bit morbid... but it was also true.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, Bittergate was true also, but you saw the blowup there:p

God, imagine if one of Obama's peeps had said that a terror attack would be good for McCain.:lol :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Muslim voters detect a snub from Obama
Groups say candidate who promotes unity has given them cold shoulder

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25340374/

I found this article extremely interesting, and also moving. I really don't blame Obama, his campaign, or his aides for these 'snubs', as I definitely see where they're coming from, where any explicit embrace of Muslims can be used as a weapon against him. I just think it's fucking sad that we live in such a political climate.

As a consequence, many Muslims have kept their support for Mr. Obama quiet. Any visible show of allegiance could be used by his opponents to incite fear, further the false rumors about his faith and “bin-Laden him,” Mr. Bray said.

“The joke within the national Muslim organizations,” Ms. Ghori said, “is that we should endorse the person we don’t want to win.”

TDG

Banned
Tamanon said:
Eh, Bittergate was true also, but you saw the blowup there:p
That's true, but I didn't think Bittergate was vile either. My point (in regards to how true the statement was) was that it wasn't a very vile comment.

Plus, it's kind of taboo in the political world to characterize poor people a certain way, so people in the media likely felt uncomfortable with pointing out that the comment actually made sense, whereas I think people in the media don't have a problem with looking at a "what-if" and predicting a winner.

“The joke within the national Muslim organizations,” Ms. Ghori said, “is that we should endorse the person we don’t want to win.”
That's really sad. :(

ToxicAdam

Slurpy said:

I found this article extremely interesting, and also moving. I really don't blame Obama, his campaign, or his aides for these 'snubs', as I definitely see where they're coming from, where any explicit embrace of Muslims can be used as a weapon against him. I just think it's fucking sad that we live in such a political climate.

Oh booo fucking hoo.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-campaign28dec28,1,7923137.story?coll=la-politics-campaign

Appearing at an Elks Lodge near Des Moines, he repeatedly mentioned his knowledge of the region. He noted that he had traveled to the remote area on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border believed to be harboring terrorists, such as Osama bin Laden, and said he had had a rapport with Bhutto and has one with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.

"My theme has been throughout this campaign that I am the one with the experience, the knowledge and the judgment," McCain said. "So perhaps [the assassination] may serve to enhance those credentials or make people understand that I've been to Waziristan, I know Musharraf, I can pick up the phone and call him."

McCain's words resonated with Mark Nemmers, a 51-year-old Republican who had planned to back Huckabee -- until the assassination. Now he is taking a serious look at McCain.

I guess McCain didn't really disagree with Black THAT much.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
yeah, i personally love my candidates extolling platitudes of 'change!' and shunning lobbyists and special interest, all the while sucking the fat teat of the corn industry.

that's why I'm voting for Obama.

gkryhewy

GhaleonEB said:

It was one of the lead stories on Good Morning America this morning. Second only to Imus.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
the disgruntled gamer said:
While I agree that the media would be all over this story if this had been an Obama campaigner who said that, I can certainly see why it became a nontroversy. I mean, it doesn't really seem that vile to me. It's a bit morbid... but it was also true.

And just how the fuck do you figure that its true? Because the media said so?

Aren't they the same media that said Hillary would be the Dem nominee? The same media that said McCain didn't have a chance against Rudy "I can't run a campaign" Guliani?

The same media that said Hillary was coming back in the second half of the dem process even though she was losing by more delegates on June 1st than March 1st.

Yeah that media really knows what they are talking about.

theBishop

Banned
Cheebs said:
There are quite a few more important issues at stake than FISA to ignore this campain.

The proposed amendment to Fisa represents the end of rule of law in the US.

Its not the only depressing issue in the world right now, but it is one of the few where both parties are colluding against the American people. You can't blame this one on Republicans alone. Also, when both presidential candidates say they will vote for the amendment, I really don't give a shit what they have to say about "experience", "judgment", "change", and especially not "security".

mckmas8808

Slurpy said:

Why hasn't anybody else talked about the many pictures that Obama has taken with Muslims in the public? Im mean they are on the internet. Even the Obama campaign has posted some.

thefit

mckmas8808 said:
Why hasn't anybody else talked about the many pictures that Obama has taken with Muslims in the public? Im mean they are on the internet. Even the Obama campaign has posted some.

Because that would make their snub story a non issue and we can't have that. Next your going to actually want the media to look at each candidates actual policies in detail.

mckmas8808

thefit said:
Because that would make their snub story a non issue and we can't have that. Next your going to actually want the media to look at each candidates actual policies in detail.

And this morning Pat Buchanan actually had the audacity to ask Obama's communications manager why Obama hasn't visited a Mosque yet! Giving the impression that Obama doesn't like Muslims or want to be seen with them.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
mckmas8808 said:
And just how the fuck do you figure that its true? Because the media said so?

It's been conventional wisdom since the Carter Administration and the hostage crisis with Iran. Not all conventional wisdom is true, but the reason it is repeated so often is because it is conventional.

Macam

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
And this morning Pat Buchanan actually had the audacity to ask Obama's communications manager why Obama hasn't visited a Mosque yet! Giving the impression that Obama doesn't like Muslims or want to be seen with them.

It's Pat Buchanan. Par for the course. Also, what scorcho said.

James Dobson slams Obama for daring to point out Biblical hypocrisy:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25343812/

msnbc said:
Dobson took aim at examples Obama cited in asking which Biblical passages should guide public policy — chapters like Leviticus, which Obama said suggests slavery is OK and eating shellfish is an abomination, or Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, "a passage that is so radical that it's doubtful that our own Defense Department would survive its application."

"Folks haven't been reading their Bibles," Obama said.

Dobson and Minnery accused Obama of wrongly equating Old Testament texts and dietary codes that no longer apply to Jesus' teachings in the New Testament.

"I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology," Dobson said.

"... He is dragging biblical understanding through the gutter."

GhaleonEB

Sho_Nuff82 said:
James Dobson slams Obama for daring to point out Biblical hypocrisy:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25343812/
Yeah, he was pointing out the obvious - you can't take everything in the Bible and apply it. Der.

Also:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/poll_obama_has_big_lead_in_mic.php

Another swing-state poll suggests that the damage done to Democratic unity by the bitter primary has been exaggerated. The new Michigan numbers from Public Policy Polling (D): Obama 48%, McCain 39%, with a ±4.1% margin of error.

Obama previously trailed McCain in this state according to most pollsters, due in large part to the controversy surrounding the rogue primary keeping him out of the state. However, recent numbers have shown him moving into a lead as he's been able to freely campaign here.

Here's what the pollster has to say about the larger trend at work here: "Every new poll PPP does in a swing state provides more evidence that talk of long term Democratic disunity because of the drawn out contest between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton was over blown."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom