• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
The Lamonster said:
I'm watching the live stream here at work on mute - what is Hillary saying?
since the exec staff is gone today i have the volume up -

Clinton: blah blah blah blah.

GhaleonEB

Hootie said:
So ackward seeing Hildawg clap for Obama...just...ackward.
Watching the two of them talk back to back.....doesn't put her in a good light. She was gracious, and did what needs to be done. But no one looks good speaking right before or after Obama.

Cheebs

Hopefully the media wont bring up the hillary as vp speculation again. That rumor was squashed by Solis-Doyle's hire. Anyone with half a brain realizes she hasn't got a chance in hell of being VP. He'd sooner pick Joe Lieberman

Zaptruder

Banned
Cheebs said:
Hopefully the media wont bring up the hillary as vp speculation again. That rumor was squashed by Solis-Doyle's hire. Anyone with half a brain realizes she hasn't got a chance in hell of being VP. He'd sooner pick Joe Lieberman

He'd better goddamn not.

GhaleonEB

gkrykewy said:
Lieberman did? That hobbit looking mf...
"In fairness we don't know if Rev. Wright said these inflammatory, anti-American, racial comments every Sunday, but I would not continue to go to a synagogue where that kind of rhetoric was spoken," Lieberman said, adding, "I think it did raise questions in people's minds about why did he stay in the church that long," but he said he would "take (Obama) at his word" and move on.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/lieberman_plays_the_wright_car.php

r4082453889.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) and Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) board a plane in Washington June 27, 2008. Democrats Obama and Clinton take the first step toward healing the wounds of their bruising presidential nominating fight with a joint appearance on Friday in the symbolically named New Hampshire town of Unity. REUTERS/Jim Young (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008 (USA)
r4267220737.jpg

r4230120782.jpg

r526157694.jpg

r1578119453.jpg

r3539553889.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) and Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) laugh on stage with Clinton endorsing Obama in person and campaigning with him for the first time in the town of Unity, New Hampshire, June 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

capt.98816d0b85ef4645951846a471703b7e.obama_clinton_nhab107.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waves with Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., in Unity, N.H., Friday, June 27, 2008, during their first joint public appearance since the divisive Democratic primary race ended. To her backers who are considering not voting or voting for McCain, Clinton said: 'I strongly urge you to reconsider. I know that he'll work for you. He'll fight for you, and he'll stand up for you every single day in the White House,' Clinton said, calling Obama 'a leader who invests in our future.' (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Cheebs

Zaptruder said:
He'd better goddamn not.
I was using it as an example to show how impossible it to pick Hillary. Because Lieberman endorsed McCain. It is just to show there is no possibility at all he'd pick Hillary. All the congressional leaks of discussions dont show Hillary getting serious consideration, the fact he picked his VP chief of staff is someone hillary fired, and his vp selection committee has not a single clintonista on it...etc.

But the media is often stupid and likes to speculate on it despite anyone who follows this elections knows she has no chance.

Only blind Hillary crazies still think she has a chance, but I mean they picked Hillary over Obama, shows how smart they are eh?

Gaborn

scorcho said:
wtf.

Obama's 'artfully' moving to the center, showing himself to be in line with decades of fast-talkin' Presidential candidates following the primaries.

Actually (sorry, I noticed this discussion the other day and I mostly agreed with it before I saw this) supporting the execution of child rapists has been his position for a long time.

Many liberals may be inclined to view Barack Obama's criticism of the Supreme Court decision banning execution of child rapists as the worst kind of poll driven pandering--akin to Bill Clinton's decision to fly home to Arkansas during the 1992 election to permit the execution of the mentally handicapped Ricky Ray Rector. I disagree. In fact, Obama's support for the execution of child rapists wasn't invented for the presidential election; it dates back to The Audacity of Hope, where he wrote: "While the evidence tells me that the death penalty does little to deter crime, I believe there are some crimes--mass murder, the rape and murder of a child--so heinous, so beyond the pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment." His longstanding opinion on the death penalty is a particularly nuanced one. He has opposed expanding the death penalty to include gang activity, for example, on the grounds that it would disproportionately punish men of color, but he supports the execution of especially egregious murderers who are clearly guilty.

Gaborn

Mandark said:
"and murder" strikes me as a pretty important qualifier.

Sure, except that Obama clarified that yesterday saying that he also supports the execution of child rapists. This past support for the death penalty taken into context with Obama's support this election for the execution of child rapists implies that whatever "moderation" Obama-gaf thinks he's making wasn't much.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:
i'm not even sure what that slogan is supposed to mean - 'putting the country first' by...voting for McCain? surely there are more effective ways to better the country by voting for that old curmudgeon...

I think he debuted the theme of "a cause bigger than myself" in his counter-speech when Obama clinched the nomination.

Making sense isn't really the point. It's meant to imply that Obama, unlike McCain, is a narcissistic glory hound. They're trying to judo-flip Obama's strengths (his popularity, speechmaking, and charisma) into weaknesses, just like the "no substance" charges in the primaries.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Michigan, yeah, good luck McCain.

Tamanon

Banned
So, how much longer does a Presidential campaign have to go on before we can stop saying "well people don't really KNOW Obama"?

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
So, how much longer does a Presidential campaign have to go on before we can stop saying "well people don't really KNOW Obama"?
I really dont understand how we can still say that.

Hell, Obama's biography has been told by numerous news magazines and newscasts. But McCain's family history other than he was captured in a war has not really been said at all.

How many times has a magazine or newscast covered Obama's mother and father? Hundreds it feels like. I havent heard a peep about McCain's parents once.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Cheebs said:
There are no hillary supporters here, I dont have to fake liking them like Obama does. ;)

I wouldn't go that far, while I don't like Hilary, I definitely want her to become VP.

reilo

People really don't know Obama because they don't want to know him. I call that ignorance.

It's just another phrase to politely say, "there are many people afraid of the black guy."

David Gregory is such a McCain shill. Whenever anyone brings up a point that paints McCain in a bad light Gregory becomes the "McCain defence force". Shut up and let someone else make a point.

TDG

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah, it was the same thing with Kerry. It seems that these days, the republican is always that guy who shows up at the family reunion and everyone knows him and runs over to give him a hug, whereas the democrat is some guy who wandered into the reunion to get some home-made rice krispy treats.

reilo

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah, it was the same thing with Kerry. It seems that these days, the republican is always that guy who shows up at the family reunion and everyone knows him and runs over to give him a hug, whereas the democrat is some guy who wandered into the reunion to get some home-made rice krispy treats.

No, the Democrat is the guy that is too busy with work to come to family re-unions.

*insert McCain's consecutive missed voting sessions in congress here*

Clevinger

maximum360 said:
David Gregory is such a McCain shill. Whenever anyone brings up a point that paints McCain in a bad light Gregory becomes the "McCain defence force". Shut up and let someone else make a point.

I saw a clip on youtube that I loved of Wesley Clark on Morning Joe or some other MSNBC show and Clark says McCain doesn't actually have much meaningful foreign policy experience. The women who was interviewing him just kept rebutting with,

"But c'mon, this is John McCain we're talking about. Of course he does!"

She just said that or something like it over and over.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom