• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA travels to Anbar province to meet with Sunni tribal leaders

r1549764566.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama (R) shares a laugh with a local government official during his visit to Anbar province July 22, 2008. U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama travelled to Iraq's Anbar on Tuesday to meet Sunni Arab tribal leaders whose decision to fight al Qaeda helped change the course of the conflict in the country. REUTERS/Anbar Governor's Media Office/Handout (IRAQ)

capt.1a7e75638fce4860983d032ccee3a36d.iraq_obama_anbar_bag101.jpg

In this photo released by the Govern orate of the Anbar Province, U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama, 2nd left, is presented with a gift by the governor of Iraq's Anbar province, Maamoun Sami Rashid al-Alwani, right, in Ramadi, 115 kilometers (70 miles) west of Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, July 22, 2008. Presidential contender Barack Obama is wrapping up his Iraq stop with meetings among Sunni tribal leaders who have joined U.S. and Iraqi forces in the fight against insurgents.
(AP Photo/Anbar Governorate, HO)

capt.b7d6ac82a60849168dfedad7d14f8714.iraq_obama_anbar_bag102.jpg

In this photo released by the Governorate of the Anbar Province, U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama, 2nd left, talks with the governor of Iraq's Anbar province, Maamoun Sami Rashid al-Alwani, right, in Ramadi, 115 kilometers (70 miles) west of Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, July 22, 2008. Presidential contender Barack Obama is wrapping up his Iraq stop with meetings among Sunni tribal leaders who have joined U.S. and Iraqi forces in the fight against insurgents.
(AP Photo/ Anbar Governorate, HO)

r606490308.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama (3rd R) listens during a meeting with local government officials in Anbar province July 22, 2008. Obama travelled to Iraq's Anbar on Tuesday to meet Sunni Arab tribal leaders whose decision to fight al Qaeda helped change the course of the conflict in the country.
REUTERS/Anbar Governor's Media Office/Handout (IRAQ)

On to Jordan...
r3498821310.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) is saluted as he steps off an osprey upon arriving at Marka Airport in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Jim Young (JORDAN) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008 (JORDAN)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tamanon said:
ROFL at Ben Smith. He posted a blog entry with the big "HILLARY BACKER SAYS "I CAN NEVER SUPPORT OBAMA"

And then about 30 minutes later has to say, ok, he never backed Hillary. He voted for Bush, and is just a Jew. The desire to craft a narrative got ahead of him:p

what the hell does this have to do with anything. :/

Tamanon

Banned
Also I think Fallon was fired because he didn't agree on Iran.

And apparently in today's town hall, McCain said Obama would rather lose the war to win the election. KEEP IT CLASSY MCCAIN!

Quadrapalegic: The original blog posting by Ben Smith was meant to show that Jewish leaders supported Clinton and then could not support Obama, then he had to change it so all it says is Brooklyn Jewish Dem, I was not trivializing his ethnicity, just pointing out the change:p

I apologize for being inartful, changed the post, my bad, dawg!

Tamanon

Banned
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/07/now-this-is-fun.html

"The filters are indeed very frustrating and incomprehensible! I am pretty good at finding the offending words after many, many hours of practice. Many of us have complained to the folks who run this site, but for whatever reason, the problem has not been completely resolved. It seems they do not like words that contain common URL suffixes, like plan et, Geor ge, intern et, or ganize, etc...Other common words iclude treat ment an ni ght. There are too many for me to list here.One way to isolate the offending word is to post a comment piecemeal. In time, you will learn the taboo words. If you would like me to help you, you can e-mail a comment to me at [Email address deleted] and I will try to fix it for you and send it back. Good luck.

McCain website's automatic filter is horrible it seems for comments.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obamamania in full flight ahead of tour of Europe

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ENT?SITE=CONGRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
BERLIN (AP) -- Europe is about to give Barack Obama one of the grandest of stages for statesmanship.

In this city where John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton all made famous speeches, Obama will find himself stepping into perhaps another iconic moment Thursday as his superstar charisma meets German adoration live in shadows of the Reichstag and the Brandenburg Gate. He then travels to Paris and London where he can expect to be greeted with similar adulation.

It's not only Obama's youth, eloquence and energy that have stolen hearts across the Atlantic. For Europeans, there have always been two Americas: one of cynicism, big business and bullying aggression, another of freedom, fairness and nothing-is-impossible dynamism.

If President Bush has been seen as the embodiment of that first America, Obama has raised expectations of a chance for the nation to redeem itself in the role that - at various times through history - Europe has loved, respected and relied upon.

"Americans need a change - and what's good for America is good for the whole world," said Maike Smerling, a physician who was born and raised in the former East Germany.
This is going to be something to remember!!

Wish I could be there to see him, and buy some German Obama tshirts.

Tamanon

Banned
Obama apparently has the ability to pass policy changes merely by scheduling a trip to an area. I eagerly await his first visit to Iran at this rate!

Equal time for McCain pics today!

072208mccainmht.jpg

BTW, that pic was taken from the event in New Hampshire today where only one reporter was there to greet him. Ouch. Even Hillary had 2 on her final days!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I bet the GOP & McCain regrets calling Obama out on not having visited all of those foreign countries now.

McCain is losing credibility in his "foreign policy experience" argument very quickly.

PhoenixDark said:
As if the media isn't in the tank for McCain, propping him up whenever he needs it. Good/funny ad but not very truthful. Granted MSNBC is the liberal Fox and suckles at Obama's teats but McCain gets the same treatment from more outlets

Are we watching the same MSNBC? The only show that may be partial to Obama is Countdown. Morning Joe is a 3 hour Obama hatefest (on a normal day) coupled with a "What's wrong with Obama?" that's been pushed since the primaries. Hardball is another extension of the "What's wrong with Obama theme?". Race for the Whitehouse is just an opportunity for good Bush/McCain shilling by Gregory (unless Rachel is the host). Abrams seems pretty moderate but the show may seem to tilt liberal because the republican shills tend to repeat GOP talking points that engage in a substantive debate most times.

Throughout the day, I'd say the news cycle isn't very kind to Obama either (regardless the network).

He may indeed get more coverage but it isn't necessarily positive coverage.

KRS7

Deus Ex Machina said:
On to Jordan...
r3498821310.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) is saluted as he steps off an osprey upon arriving at Marka Airport in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Jim Young (JORDAN) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008 (JORDAN)

Love your photos Deus Ex Machina

One question on that photo. Are US senators usually saluted? I just thought that was kind of weird.

reilo said:
I bet the GOP & McCain regrets calling Obama out on not having visited all of those foreign countries now.

McCain is losing credibility in his "foreign policy experience" argument very quickly.
Obama's getting so much debate ammo, I love it.

reilo

Door2Dawn said:
Rasmussen has McCain leading by 10 in Ohio.

What? EDIT: Bastard stealth edit!

Wow, wtf? This is just wrong:

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters believe that most reporters are trying to help Obama win the election while only 14% believe reporters are trying to help McCain.

Raxus

Tamanon said:
Obama apparently has the ability to pass policy changes merely by scheduling a trip to an area. I eagerly await his first visit to Iran at this rate!

Equal time for McCain pics today!

072208mccainmht.jpg

BTW, that pic was taken from the event in New Hampshire today where only one reporter was there to greet him. Ouch. Even Hillary had 2 on her final days!

Poor McCain. Even Colbert wants something better to do.

Tamanon

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Rep. Joe Sestak Refuses To Be Bullied By Sean Hannity About Obama’s Trip Abroad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zpH_sxpKU

:lol .... Sean, you lost that one badly

Dude, Sestak was hitting EVERY where last night and this morning and each time I saw him he did this thing where he listed off the 4 policy changes that changed to Obama's plan, and then did a cheesy thumbs up at the end.

GhaleonEB

Door2Dawn said:
PPP is shit.
They've gotten their fair share right. The Rasmussen poll is actually the outlier here. They are showing a nine point swing from their last poll a month ago, when everyone else is showing the opposite.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/oh/08-oh-pres-ge-mvo.php

The state will be close, either way.

Also: lolz at British PM tallking about pulling out of Iraq. This really has turned into one of the most epic backfires on the GOP.

I hope they dare Obama to be president next.

GhaleonEB said:
They've gotten their fair share right. The Rasmussen poll is actually the outlier here. They are showing a nine point swing from their last poll a month ago, when everyone else is showing the opposite.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/oh/08-oh-pres-ge-mvo.php

The state will be close, either way.

Also: lolz at British PM tallking about pulling out of Iraq. This really has turned into one of the most epic backfires on the GOP.

I hope they dare Obama to be president next.
HA! nice :lol

mckmas8808

NBC's Mitchell baselessly claimed Obama "has the least foreign policy experience of recent presidential candidates ... except Jimmy Carter"

link

So does anybody here find obvious fault with this? Is it reasonable to believe that Obama has less foreign policy experience than George Bush?

mckmas8808 said:
link

So does anybody here find obvious fault with this? Is it reasonable to believe that Obama has less foreign policy experience than George Bush?
so...Andrea Mitchell...of MSNBC...the same MSNBC that hugs Obama's balls every day?

I think we can stop the crazy bias claims now.

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
link

How much foreign policy experience does, say, a governor of Arkansas have?

mckmas8808

GhaleonEB said:
How much foreign policy experience does, say, a governor of Arkansas have?

And what about an actor turned Republican governor? Don't all the republican love that guy now?

Tamanon said:
Yeah, the last President we had that had foreign policy experience was Bush 41.

maximum: Indeed, and one of the hotter ones!

I would have said that but if my wife was looking over my shoulder she would not approve. She's the MSNBC "Anti-Blonde".

reilo said:
What? EDIT: Bastard stealth edit!

Wow, wtf? This is just wrong:

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters believe that most reporters are trying to help Obama win the election while only 14% believe reporters are trying to help McCain.

It's reality that is helping Obama win, reporters are simply reporting what's happening. If you don't like the facts someone is pointing out, simply say they are teh bias. That's all that's going on here.

mckmas8808

Deus Ex Machina said:
Richardson nails McCain on Fox News: "I don't know why he's whining about this."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FDktWIGEi8

Who is this unprofessional woman. . .and why didn't the journalism school she likely never attended rescind her degree?

Did she just say that Obama will switch his thoughts on Iraq after he gets back?

Does FoxNews even care that McCain is the one and only person that has changed his position on Iraq?

GhaleonEB

maynerd said:
Looks like McCain is gonna play the press loves Obama card.

Just like Hillary it looks like McCain is about to self destruct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfog.../07/22/new-john-mccain-ads-show_n_114277.html
He's attacking his own base now! Joining the nation of whiners.

This is the best summary of just how badly the Iraq trip backfired for McCain that I've read:

[McCain had] spent, several weeks with the main theme of his campaign being, quite literally, to criticize Barack Obama for not having been physically present in Iraq recently. This (of course) got Obama to go to Iraq, thus setting up a dilemma. Either Obama would survey the "progress" in Iraq and change his position, thus making him a flip-flopper, or else he would refuse to change his position, thus making him obstinate and out of touch with reality.

But instead of either of those things happening, Obama went to Iraq and Iraqi leaders said he'd been right all along! That's about as close to "game, set, match" as you get in terms of real world events influencing your political campaign. What's more, given the domestic situation and John McCain's inability to talk about domestic issues persuasively, he can't afford to play for a draw on Iraq.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/205107.php

knitoe

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/04/10/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The newly elected president of Iraq said Sunday he expects that U.S. troops will be gone from his country within two years.

Wow. McCain is really screwed. Now, another high ranking Iraqi official has said US should leave in 1-2 years. Looks, I we are leaving in 2007 at latest. Oh wait...

Look, Iraqi officials serve the Iraqi people, and of course in public, they will say they want US troops to leave in "short time frame." Most people's eyes it means a 1-3 years, but situation on the ground is always changing and they aren't stupid enough to set a definite timetable. Which is the case once again. People are reading too much into their current statements and Obama has taken advantage of it. Of course this is the
Vote4Obama
PoliGAF thread, just carry on.

Wonder what will happen in 10-12 months of Obama's pullout and situation in Iraq gets worse, what will he do? Reverse his pullout plan or continue no matter what under his presidency.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
knitoe said:

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The newly elected president of Iraq said Sunday he expects that U.S. troops will be gone from his country within two years.

Wow. McCain is really screwed. Now, another high ranking Iraqi official has said US should leave in 1-2 years. Looks, I we are leaving in 2007 at latest. Oh wait...

Look, Iraqi officials serve the Iraqi people, and of course in public, they will say they want US troops to leave in "short time frame." Most people's eyes it means a 1-3 years, but situation on the ground is always changing and they aren't stupid enough to set a definite timetable. Which is the case once again. People are reading too much into their current statements.

Wonder what will happen in 10-12 of Obama's pullout and situation in Iraq gets worse, what will he do? Reverse his pullout plan or continue under his presidency.

What's your question exactly? Your post confused me. I've taken that you've attempted to downplay the statements coming from Iraqi officials, which is actually understandable as Maliki has made such noise before.

Edit: Ah, I just saw your little spoiler. Are you yourself a McCain supporter or just an Obama hater?

Tamanon

Banned
knitoe said:

Look, Iraqi officials serve the Iraqi people, and of course in public, they will say they want US troops to leave in "short time frame." Most people's eyes it means a 1-3 years, but situation on the ground is always changing and they aren't stupid enough to set a definite timetable. Which is the case once again. People are reading too much into their current statements and Obama has taken advantage of it. Of course this is the
Vote4Obama
PoliGAF thread, just carry on.

Wonder what will happen in 10-12 months of Obama's pullout and situation in Iraq gets worse, what will he do? Reverse his pullout plan or continue no matter what under his presidency.

So you see absolutely no significance in the leadership of Iraq saying that they agree with Obama's plan? None at all?

reilo

Tamanon said:
So you see absolutely no significance in the leadership of Iraq saying that they agree with Obama's plan? None at all?

Well, the White House would agree with him. Today they would at least. A year ago they would not have.

Tamanon said:
The Iraqi leadeship is just trying to help their fellow muslim become president they can plot and scheme together on how to take over teh worldz with the help of Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright.

am i doing it right guyz?

GhaleonEB

polyh3dron said:
The Iraqi leadeship is just trying to help their fellow muslim become president they can plot and scheme together on how to take over teh worldz with the help of Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright.

am i doing it right guyz?
No, actually you were supposed drop the persecution complex and engage in an actual conversation by answering a simple question (one not even directed at you). Maybe next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom