• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanity Fair counters with mock cover of John and Cindy McCain

Cover-McCain2.jpg

Vanity Fair Covers The New Yorker
by Vanity Fair
July 22, 2008, 12:10 PM

Cover-McCain2.jpgWe here at Vanity Fair maintain a kind of affectionate rivalry with our downstairs neighbors at The New Yorker. We play softball every year, compete for some of the same stories, and share an elevator bank. (You can tell the ones who are headed to the 20th floor by their Brooklyn pallor and dog-eared paperbacks.)

And heaven knows we’ve published our share of scandalous images, on the cover and otherwise. So we’ve been watching the kerfuffle over last week’s New Yorker cover with a mixture of empathy and better-you-than-us relief.

We had our own presidential campaign cover in the works, which explored a different facet of the Politics of Fear, but we shelved it when The New Yorker’s became the “It Girl” of the blogosphere. Now, however, in a selfless act of solidarity with our downstairs neighbors here at the Condé Nast building, we’d like to share it with you. Confidentially, of course.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2008/07/new-yorker-cover.html

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
No, actually you were supposed drop the persecution complex and engage in an actual conversation by answering a simple question (one not even directed at you). Maybe next time?

I think you're being enraged at the wrong person. He was being sarcastic:p

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/22/1215016.aspx#comments

King Abdullah gave Obama a ride to the airport, after their one-on-one meeting one-on-one and a dinner with several American and Jordanian officials at the royal palace today.

The king, who drove the car himself, walked the senator to the edge of the stairs and they chatted briefly, out of earshot of cameras, before Obama boarded.

Obama now heads to Israel for a day packed with meetings.

Golden. Abdullah is now Obama's chauffeur. :lol

knitoe

bob_arctor said:
What's your question exactly? Your post confused me. I've taken that you've attempted to downplay the statements coming from Iraqi officials, which is actually understandable as Maliki has made such noise before.

Edit: Ah, I just saw your little spoiler. Are you yourself a McCain supporter or just an Obama hater?

I actually don't care for either of them, but since this thread has way more Obama supporters, I try to do my little part to keep things in balance.

As for my spoiler, just look at how the thread title is always changing a certain way. Not hard to figure out what's going on in here.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
knitoe said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/04/10/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The newly elected president of Iraq said Sunday he expects that U.S. troops will be gone from his country within two years.

Wow. McCain is really screwed. Now, another high ranking Iraqi official has said US should leave in 1-2 years. Looks, I we are leaving in 2007 at latest. Oh wait...

Look, Iraqi officials serve the Iraqi people, and of course in public, they will say they want US troops to leave in "short time frame." Most people's eyes it means a 1-3 years, but situation on the ground is always changing and they aren't stupid enough to set a definite timetable. Which is the case once again. People are reading too much into their current statements and Obama has taken advantage of it. Of course this is the
Vote4Obama
PoliGAF thread, just carry on.

Wonder what will happen in 10-12 months of Obama's pullout and situation in Iraq gets worse, what will he do? Reverse his pullout plan or continue no matter what under his presidency.

So are you pissed that the Iraqi leaders want to serve their people?

And did you not hear that Obama reserves the right not take out all combat forces within 16 months?

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
I think you're being enraged at the wrong person. He was being sarcastic:p
Ah. My bad.

His post was so spot-on with what gets posted, that my sarcasm detector - which has been borked for years - didn't pick it up. :lol
reilo said:
Oh god Vanity Fair, what can of fucking worms have you opened?
It's not their actual cover, just an online parody.

knitoe

Tamanon said:
So you see absolutely no significance in the leadership of Iraq saying that they agree with Obama's plan? None at all?

They been agreeing with Obama's plans since at least 2005. What does that mean? Are we getting out in 2007?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
knitoe said:
Wonder what will happen in 10-12 months of Obama's pullout and situation in Iraq gets worse, what will he do? Reverse his pullout plan or continue no matter what under his presidency.

I love how the right uses this hypothetical situation as though its concrete fact to disprove Obama.

StoOgE

knitoe said:
Repost:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/04/10/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The newly elected president of Iraq said Sunday he expects that U.S. troops will be gone from his country within two years.

I dont get what the point of this is? They wanted us out back then, they want us out now. Point is they want us out.

And no, we didnt leave in 2007.. not because of what the Iraqi's said but because of who our president was.. whats the point? Bush didnt listen to them so Obama wont?

GhaleonEB said:
It's not their actual cover, just an online parody.
Darn it. Only thing is, Bush and McCain ACTUALLY HAVE BEEN destroying our constitution for years and McCain actually has been known to suck up to Bush. They should have had McCain call Cindy a cunt for a little more accuracy though.

Bottom line is, the Obama cartoon has a bunch of made up stuff in it while the McCain one is based on the truth.

knitoe

StoOgE said:
I dont get what the point of this is? They wanted us out back then, they want us out now. Point is they want us out.

And no, we didnt leave in 2007.. not because of what the Iraqi's said but because of who our president was.. whats the point? Bush didnt listen to them so Obama wont?

Link to where it says Iraqi leadership wants us out today? All I heard is US can leave in 1-2 years with changes depending on the situation on the ground. Doesn't sound like the 2005 article?

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA meets with King Abdullah of Jordan and holds press avail

r2664222443.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (R) shakes hands with Jordan's King Abdullah at Beit Al-Urdun in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Jim Young (JORDAN)

capt.adf41436c9e24c4caae40fdb60e8b379.obama_2008_jorh127.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, walks with King Abdullah of Jordan as he arrives at Beit al Urdun in Amman, Jordan, Tuesday, July 22, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r3577922860.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (R) follows after Jordan's King Abdullah at Beit Al-Urdun in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Jim Young (JORDAN)

r3404128248.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (C) tours the Amman Citadel, an ancient Roman landmark, in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008. Obama is joined by conservation architect May Shaer (R) and US Senator Jack Reed (D-RI). REUTERS/Ali Jarekji (JORDAN)

capt.9ded5b2825ea435f89fa1053aa5c9d1c.obama_2008_jorh111.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., third from left, accompanied by Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., left, conservation architect May Shaer, center, and Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., right, tour the citadel in Amman, Jordan, Tuesday, July 22, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r3609772351.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) attends a news conference at the Amman Citadel, an ancient Roman landmark, in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Ali Jarekji (JORDAN)

r1444700787.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (C) speaks at a press availability at the Amman Citadel in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008. Obama is joined by U.S. Senators Jack Reed (D-RI) (L) and Chuck Hagel (R-NE). REUTERS/Jim Young (JORDAN)

r3021187305.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) gestures during a news conference at the Amman Citadel, an ancient Roman landmark, in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008. REUTERS/Majed Jaber (JORDAN)

r4121310956.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (L) smiles next to US Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) during a news conference at the Amman Citadel, an ancient Roman landmark, in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008. REUTERS/Ali Jarekji (JORDAN)

r3724863119.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) listens to opening remarks at a press availability at the Amman Citadel in Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008.
REUTERS/Ali Jarekji (JORDAN)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
knitoe said:
I actually don't care for either of them, but since this thread has way more Obama supporters, I try to do my little part to keep things in balance.

As for my spoiler, just look at how the thread title always changing a certain way. Not hard to figure out what's going on in here.

What's going on here of course isn't a mystery. Obama is easily the better candidate and thus has most of our support. I think you should bite the proverbial bullet come Election Day and pull the lever for the tall, skinny guy rather than sitting out entirely. I can't imagine that Obama is the greater of the two evils in your mind.

All things being equal, why not fulfill your civic duty for the man that can drain a 3-pointer in front of a million cameras half a world away?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Deus Ex Machina said:
Richardson nails McCain on Fox News: "I don't know why he's whining about this."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FDktWIGEi8

Who is this unprofessional woman. . .and why didn't the journalism school she likely never attended rescind her degree?

i love how the right wing is so adamant that obama will be changing his position on iraq. hilarious, considering whats been happening with mccain's position.

StoOgE

knitoe said:
Link to where it says Iraqi leadership wants us out today? All I heard is US can leave in 1-2 years with changes depending on the situation on the ground. Doesn't sound like the 2005 article?

Thats not true, they wanted us out by 2007 in 2005, instead we gave them a surge. The Iraqi's have not said "get out tommorow" because its not feasible, a 14-24 month removal of troops is probably the fastest safe withdrawl and everyone realizes this.

In 2005 they were basically saying "we would like you to start getting out now", which is what they are saying now.

You are trying to contort a 2 year timeline 3 years ago into meaning "we would like you to leave -1 years ago, pack your bags and be gone in the morning" which is logically inept.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
knitoe said:
As for my spoiler, just look at how the thread title is always changing a certain way. Not hard to figure out what's going on in here.

it changes to reflect the current media narrative. whether its good or bad for obama.

Mumei

Deus Ex Machina said:
Richardson nails McCain on Fox News: "I don't know why he's whining about this."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FDktWIGEi8

Who is this unprofessional woman. . .and why didn't the journalism school she likely never attended rescind her degree?

Huh.

I never knew that op-eds were just opportunities to tell your opinion. I always thought that they were opportunities to argue your position by highlighting the facts which support your position and downplaying the ones that don't.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

knitoe said:
Barack Obama said:
We'll be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in.

How many times does he have to say this before it sinks in?

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah the thread title is pretty consistent with just what is the current newsline going.

But act appalled that forum of mainly younger people on the Internet supports anti-war, young candidate. I know it's shocking.

knitoe

StoOgE said:
Thats not true, they wanted us out by 2007 in 2005, instead we gave them a surge. The Iraqi's have not said "get out tommorow" because its not feasible, a 14-24 month removal of troops is probably the fastest safe withdrawl and everyone realizes this.

In 2005 they were basically saying "we would like you to start getting out now", which is what they are saying now.

You are trying to contort a 2 year timeline 3 years ago into meaning "we would like you to leave -1 years ago, pack your bags and be gone in the morning" which is logically inept.

Did you not read the 2005 article? Summarize, in short, it says if the situation becomes appropriate, US could gone from Iraq by 2007. They are saying the same thing now. Just change 2005 > 2008 and 2007 > 2010.

Please provide a link that states otherwise.

knitoe

Tamanon said:
Yeah the thread title is pretty consistent with just what is the Obama current newsline going.

But act appalled that forum of mainly younger people on the Internet supports anti-war, young candidate. I know it's shocking.

Fixed.

Tamanon

Banned
knitoe said:
Did you not read the 2005 article? Summarize, in short, it says if the situation becomes appropriate, US could gone from Iraq by 2007. They are saying the same thing now. Just change 2005 > 2008 and 2007 > 2010.

“Obama’s remarks that — if he takes office — in 16 months he would withdraw the forces, we think that this period could increase or decrease a little, but that it could be suitable to end the presence of the forces in Iraq.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/u...ics&adxnnlx=1216756889-MFHSykF4GSoITL5T+wiYOA

Knitoe: There is no McCain newsline, even he doesn't spend any of his appearances or interviews talking about his plans or policies, just Obama's.

StoOgE

knitoe said:

Right, and what Im saying is if we started drawing down in 2005 we could have been gone by 2007, which is what they said then as well. And now they are saying if we start drwaing down now we can be out by 2010 which is what I (and Obama) are saying.

I guess to answer your question it is not fundamentally different than what they wanted in 2005, except this time we have a candidate who may not ignore them.

knitoe

StoOgE said:
Right, and what Im saying is if we started drawing down in 2005 we could have been gone by 2007, which is what they said then as well. And now they are saying if we start drwaing down now we can be out by 2010 which is what I (and Obama) are saying.

So you are saying during all the ethnic fighting and possible civil war in late 2005 and 2006, Iraqi leaders still wanted US out? The situation on the ground doesn't matter. Just the timeline.

StoOgE

knitoe said:
So you are saying during all the ethnic fighting and possible civil war in late 2005 and 2006, Iraqi leaders still wanted US out? The situation on the ground doesn't matter. Just the timeline.

Yes. that is also why the american people elected a dem congress in 2006.

but as long as we are playing fun hypothetical lets look to the past games: question: would all the ethnic clensing and civil war have happened had we never gone in?

The right tries to make the entire Iraq argument about the surge, but the real decision was made when we went into Iraq, where we would be greeted as liberators, it would be "easy" and we would be home quickly.. but instead of owning up to that the republicans try and shift the arguement to the surge, ignoring the actual catostrophic decision that started this whole mess.

mccain acts like Obama is out to destroy Iraq with troop withdrawl, when his support for the war caused all the problems he proffesses to want to solve now. Why should we trust someones judgement who was so very very wrong from the start?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
knitoe said:
It's not like we did much in sorting that out.

knitoe

Tamanon

Banned
knitoe said:
How's that different than what I posted from 2005? We could possibly leave in 1-2 years depending on situation on the ground.

Sorry, didn't know McCain is doing nothing.

Because it doesn't mention anything about the situation on the ground. What title would you suggest for the PoliGAF thread?

pxleyes

Banned
knitoe said:
Sorry, didn't know McCain is doing nothing.
He really isn't doing anything...

knitoe said:
Yeah. Situation today in Iraq is just same as 2005 and 2006.
No, we have done nothing to sort out the ethnic fighting. They have been fighting for hundreds of years. We aren't going to just stop it.

StoOgE

knitoe said:

So when do we leave?

In 2005 we couldnt leave because we were losing.

In 2008 we cant leave because we are winning.

So, 100 years and call it a day?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
knitoe said:
Google "post hoc ergo propter hoc"

All the ethnic tension has died down because the various ethnic groups no longer live together.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Novak_backs_off_veep_report.html#comments

Prince of Darkness tells Fox News Channel: His report about McCain announcing his running mate this week may have been “a dodge” by the campaign to grab some headlines from Obama.

The conservative columnist goes on to say he’d gotten the tip from a “very senior McCain aide” and that the campaign “suggested I put it out” so he just posted something online.

Now he says he’s been told by “certain people” he may have been used. Adds if that’s the case, it’s “pretty reprehensible.”

Noooooo shit.

knitoe

Tamanon said:
Because it doesn't mention anything about the situation on the ground. What title would you suggest for the PoliGAF thread?

For thread title, suggest something neutral like "PoliGAF Interim Thread of General Elections and Veepstakes ."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
quadriplegicjon said:
i love how the right wing is so adamant that obama will be changing his position on iraq. hilarious, considering whats been happening with mccain's position.

Will anybody in the media care that McCain just flipped flopped on Iraq like 2 times within the last month?

StoOgE

knitoe said:
For thread title, suggest something neutral like "PoliGAF Interim Thread of General Elections and Veepstakes ."

thats what it is. They update it to add the current news behind that, McCain has had plenty of mentions in the thread title (as did Hillary)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
knitoe said:

Make sure to vote Obama! He chains Obliterations while McCain spams Flying Swallow!

knitoe

StoOgE said:
thats what it is. They update it to add the current news behind that, McCain has had plenty of mentions in the thread title (as did Hillary)

If you are going to mention where Obama is in title than why not also say where is McCain? Ooh I am sorry, McCain doesn't do anything.

Tamanon

Banned
knitoe said:
If you are going to mention where Obama is in title than why not also say where is McCain? Ooh I am sorry, McCain doesn't do anything.

Because McCain being in New Hampshire is not news. I guess we really are becoming a nation of whiners. I don't recall you bitching about it when the title was Bittergate for a while.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
knitoe said:

Why is it that every non-Obama supporter takes upon this extremely hostile, assholish attitude, and then expects to be treated with dignity and respect when they do nothing but try to diminish our intelligence and throw thinly veiled insults at us?

McCain is in the USA. Is that news worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom