• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

npm0925

With the crowds that Obama drew, there's no way McCain is leaving American soil until after the election. The guy is so pathetic; he's given up practically everything he stood for (or pretended to stand for) over the past 8 years for this one long shot at being president.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
laserbeam said:
Being the leader of a country is a Popularity Contest for your own country not to try and make the world happy.

so does the 'cult of obama' thing come from being popular in the US or in foreign countries?

people like you were throwing out this ridiculous insult way before he planned this trip.

btw. making the world happy with your country.. benefits your country as well. insulating yourself from the world has many negative repercussions.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
laserbeam said:
Its the point that it has no bearing whatsoever on the Politicians political ability or ability to govern.

For governing the United States, probably not, but to say it has no bearing in being President is bullshit. Especially when it comes to foreign affairs.

quadriplegicjon said:
so does the 'cult of obama' thing come from being popular in the US or in foreign countries?

people like you were throwing out this ridiculous insult way before he planned this trip.
And it held about as much weight then as it does now.

Why even dignify it with a response?

laserbeam said:
He could better spend his time addressing the American people on how he intends to fix things instead of nifty one liners like Yes we can and Change!
Yeah because he's NEVER said anything about how he intends to fix things, he just goes up to the podium, say "yes we can" and "change" and then leaves.

TDG

Banned
laserbeam said:
It has nothing to do with a complaint against a politician. Its the point that it has no bearing whatsoever on the Politicians political ability or ability to govern.
Bullshit. We don't live in a bubble. We have to interact with other countries, and the way our leader conducts himself effects that.

laserbeam

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
And it held about as much weight then as it does now.

Why even dignify it with a response?

People worship the ground Obama walks on as if hes gonna enter the White House and the world is gonna become cotton candy and rivers of chocolate and free love. There is freakish cult level obsession with Obama on many fronts

Obama is a tool of the system like every other Politician. And like every Politician every 4 years when election time comes they promise everything you want to hear and deliver on basically none of it.

laserbeam said:
It has nothing to do with a complaint against a politician. Its the point that it has no bearing whatsoever on the Politicians political ability or ability to govern.

Being the leader of a country is a Popularity Contest for your own country not to try and make the world happy. He could better spend his time addressing the American people on how he intends to fix things instead of nifty one liners like Yes we can and Change!
Get out of here. Obama talks circles around McCain on actual policy, and especially foreign policy. And even though I'm not a fan of slogans (an unfortunate political necessity) at least Obama's are better than McCain's weak rebuttal "That's not change we can believe in" and repeating "My friends" every third sentence.

Particle Physicist

laserbeam said:
People worship the ground Obama walks on as if hes gonna enter the White House and the world is gonna become cotton candy and rivers of chocolate and free love.

Obama is a tool of the system like every other Politician. And like every Politician every 4 years when election time comes they promise everything you want to hear and deliver on basically none of it.

you are obviously just trolling now.

laserbeam said:
People worship the ground Obama walks on as if hes gonna enter the White House and the world is gonna become cotton candy and rivers of chocolate and free love.

Yep, totally true.

He has secured the cotton candy vote.

laserbeam said:
People worship the ground Obama walks on as if hes gonna enter the White House and the world is gonna become cotton candy and rivers of chocolate and free love. There is freakish cult level obsession with Obama on many fronts

But he does it in style, McCain doesn't.

Seems an easy choice to me.

laserbeam

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
you are obviously just trolling now.

Not at all.

Obama will become President and youll see Hes not gonna sweep into the White House and make the United States suddenly all sunshiney with the world. Iraq isnt gonna magically fix itself,Afghanistan is not gonna magically fix itself.

Islamic Extremists will continue to threaten security around the world. The World is a fucked up place and that is not t gonna magically correct it. The World will remain a fucked up place after we are all dead and buried.

laserbeam said:
Not at all.

Obama will become President and youll see Hes not gonna sweep into the White House and make the United States suddenly all sunshiney with the world. Iraq isnt gonna magically fix itself,Afghanistan is not gonna magically fix itself.

Islamic Extremists will continue to threaten security around the world. The World is a fucked up place and one man is not gonna magically correct it. The World will remain a fucked up place after we are all dead and buried.
It seems the only people that believe the fluff are Obama detractors.

laserbeam said:

Compared to what we've seen with Dubya this is accurate. Not literally, but in a matter of contrast.

laserbeam said:
Not at all.

Islamic Extremists will continue to threaten security around the world. The World is a fucked up place and that is not t gonna magically correct it. The World will remain a fucked up place after we are all dead and buried.

But maybe with a muslim president, they will think twice?

maynerd

Banned
laserbeam said:
Not at all.

Islamic Extremists will continue to threaten security around the world. The World is a fucked up place and one man is not gonna magically correct it. The World will remain a fucked up place after we are all dead and buried.

I don't think any of us think that he's some sort of magician or is going to 'fix' the world. He's just a better choice between McCain and Obama. Not the lesser of two evils sort of way though. I think he will have a positive effect on America. While I believe that McCain will not.

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:
Not at all.

So then....wouldn't you want someone that makes you feel better about it if nothing's going to change no matter what?:p

Particle Physicist

laserbeam said:
Not at all.

Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll .

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll .

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll .

sure..

Funny thing.

You'd think laser doesn't want people to have hope for the future. The future will most likely look like different shades of the present, but hope has never been a bad thing.

Well maybe for a pessimist it is.

Thunder Monkey said:
Funny thing.

You'd think laser doesn't want people to have hope for the future. The future will most likely look like different shades of the present, but hope has never been a bad thing.

Well maybe for a pessimist it is.
Dude, all candidates are equally bad, regardless of their positions. I say we just put a shaved baboon in office and call it a day. If you don't agree you're obviously giving Obama a rimjob.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Dude, all candidates are equally bad, regardless of their positions. I say we just put a shaved baboon in office and call it a day. If you don't agree you're obviously giving Obama a rimjob.

Yay for cynicism! Because indifference is cool!

laserbeam

Banned
maynerd said:
I don't think any of us think that he's some sort of magician or is going to 'fix' the world. He's just a better choice between McCain and Obama. Not the lesser of two evils sort of way though. I think he will have a positive effect on America. While I believe that McCain will not.

Thats a fine belief too. Personally I dont find myself thrilled with either candidate. I just think there is a level of insanity in how some people treat Obama as if he is gonna save the United States and the World.

They say when your young your liberal then as you get older you turn conservative. I skipped the bullshit and took the view that niether spectrum can be trusted with the well being of the people.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Have you seen the mans ass?

I take that as a compliment.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
laserbeam said:
Thats a fine belief too. Personally I dont find myself thrilled with either candidate. I just think there is a level of insanity in how some people treat Obama as if he is gonna save the United States and the World..
Name one person that has said that.

TDG

Banned
laserbeam said:
Thats a fine belief too. Personally I dont find myself thrilled with either candidate. I just think there is a level of insanity in how some people treat Obama as if he is gonna save the United States and the World.
Maybe people are just thrilled to have a democratic candidate who's actually charismatic and has a chance to win the election after 8 disasterous years of a republican president. And by "maybe," I mean "Well duh,".

Nobody (except a few random internet crazies) believes that Obama will be solving all of the world's problems. Some people like you, who are desperate to be the cynical rebels, seem to think that we all do, but we don't. So now that you're done showing us just how uninformed you are, can you stop trolling this thread?

laserbeam said:
They say when your young your liberal then as you get older you turn conservative. I skipped the bullshit and took the view that niether spectrum can be trusted with the well being of the people.
Uh, okay. Well, thanks for sharing your wise views with us.

laserbeam said:

So you're like Lou Dobbs then, criticize both sides without any better ideas except for stopping those damn mexicans from getting into the country

GhaleonEB

laserbeam said:
Who? I've heard people say this for a long time - the whole Messiah meme - but I can't find any (aside from the fringe weirdos on the web, but there's those on all sides of everything). Even Obama's most ardent supporters have some issues with some of his positions, from FISA to gay marriage.

laserbeam said:

Who? I always hear this regurgitated, but I've never met one of these supporters who expect him to wave a magic wand and solve all our problems. I think it's a projection from the opposing side, and that's it. I also think the whole "older people always get more conservative" argument is hackneyed to the point that it's embarrassing to hear. It's another one of those broad generalizations that in my experience doesn't hold water when you talk to people face to face.

Particle Physicist

GhaleonEB said:
Who? I've heard people say this for a long time - the whole Messiah meme - but I can't find any (aside from the fringe weirdos on the web, but there's those on all sides of everything). Even Obama's most ardent supporters have some issues with some of his positions, from FISA to gay marriage.

yeah. people like laserbeam are damn jokes. they have nothing constructive to say about the candidates, they cant form a coherent argument, so they just fall back on insulting the supporters of whatever candidate they dislike.

laserbeam said:
Who would YOU trust with the well being of the people then.. What would it take to pass your test?

laserbeam

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Who would YOU trust with the well being of the people then.. What would it take to pass your test?
Until the government is held more accountable to the people rather then the people accountable to the government I would say there is no one you could trust.

One Side wants to nanny state the government while the other wipes its ass with the constitution. You have to ask yourself if this is what the Founders had in mind when they risked all for it.

laserbeam said:
Until the government is held more accountable to the people rather then the people accountable to the government I would say there is no one you could trust.

One Side wants to nanny state the government while the other wipes its ass with the constitution. You have to ask yourself if this is what the Founders had in mind when they risked all for it.
I'm pretty sure your hyperbole was what they had in mind. Hamfisted generalizations and a holier than thou attitude towards everyone on all sides of every issue are the pinnacle of what the founding fathers intended.

JayDubya

Banned
laserbeam said:
One Side wants to nanny state the government while the other wipes its ass with the constitution.
Nonsensical. Nanny stating the government is wiping its ass with the constitution.

You have to ask yourself if this is what the Founders had in mind when they risked all for it.

Well, you don't have to. GAF is chockablock full of people that could care less. Irregardless.

laserbeam said:

It's funny you mention that because in between saying "change" and "yes we can" Obama has mentioned quite a few ways that he wanted to make our government much more transparent and accountable to the people. Also, Obama has never spoke about running a "nanny state" like your old democrats would, he has stressed personal accountability in many of his speeches.

But how would you know that, all you remember of his speeches is "yes we can" and "change".

Particle Physicist

laserbeam said:

then stop posting in this thread. in your own words, you dont care about any of the candidates running for presidency.. so stop insulting those that care about this election. all you are doing here is trolling .. by your own admission.

besada

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
At any rate, seems as if Obama would rather be a rockstar than visit wounded troops in the hospital...

By that same retarded logic, McCain would rather visit the Fudge Haus than wounded troops.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm pretty sure your hyperbole was what they had in mind. Hamfisted generalizations and a holier than thou attitude towards everyone on all sides of every issue are the pinnacle of what the founding fathers intended.

this.

Tamanon said:
:lol Chris Matthews : "This election has got suddenly close, very close!"

WTF have ya'll been saying the past few months?
What was this in response to? Did Obama screw up big time, did McCain actually do something good or was it both, because Obama's been ahead of McCain by a pretty good margin in most polls.

Tamanon

Banned
polyh3dron said:
What was this in response to? Did Obama screw up big time, did McCain actually do something good or was it both, because Obama's been ahead of McCain by a pretty good margin in most polls.

The Quinnipiac state polls showing McCain closing the gap in a couple states by 2 points or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom