• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UltimaKilo said:
Obama doesn't want them, McCain will make him look unexperienced which is why he has not accepted the town hall debate offers. Brokaw really pressed him on this on last Sunday's MTP.
You know, I've heard this argument from many conservatives.

Now, I'll concede that the Democratic debates were not always Obama's best moments, but as a counterpoint, do you guys also realize that McCain is going to be involved in these debates as well? Have you watched him on the stump and in interviews? Even if you really believe that Obama is an inexperienced twit, I'm truly baffled that you think McCain is going to somehow best him with his firm grasp of the issues. Do Republicans have exclusive access to a different John McCain than the one I've been seeing over the last few months?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
UltimaKilo said:
Obama doesn't want them, McCain will make him look unexperienced which is why he has not accepted the town hall debate offers. Brokaw really pressed him on this on last Sunday's MTP.
tee hee. Obama? unexperienced? that's unpossible!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Steve Youngblood said:
You know, I've heard this argument from many conservatives.

Now, I'll concede that the Democratic debates were not always Obama's best moments, but as a counterpoint, do you guys also realize that McCain is going to be involved in these debates as well? Have you watched him on the stump and in interviews? Even if you really believe that Obama is an inexperienced twit, I'm truly baffled that you think McCain is going to somehow best him with his firm grasp of the issues. Do Republicans have exclusive access to a different John McCain than the one I've been seeing over the last few months?

Not at all, but the debates will be McCain's to loose. I never said Obama was a twit, I really don't think he is. I'll say that John McCain can have good debates, and he can have bad ones. The problem McCain has is if he comes out like he did on Wolf Blitzer's interview last week, looking almost whining with his tone of voice, and very nervous (kinda like Ron Paul in the debates). So yeah, I have seen them both in interviews, and perhaps I should have re-worded what I posted, but I was too lazy. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wasn't the real reason Obama was skipping the townhalls was because he learned that the McCain campaign was packing the halls with supporters? Obama would have been walking into enemy territory, essentially.

ZealousD said:
Wasn't the real reason Obama was skipping the townhalls was because he learned that the McCain campaign was packing the halls with supporters? Obama would have been walking into enemy territory, essentially.

Yes. It was a political trap, and a win-win scenario for McCain. If Obama had accepted, he would have had multiple appearances with him in front of pro-McCain crowds. Since he declined, McCain attacks him for declining.

ZealousD said:

I also remember having read this.

Mumei

Well, I can't say I'm that surprised about these ads. Republicans have always done a good job of attacking what would seem to be their opponent's strongest point; in this case, Obama's popularity here and abroad. I'm not sure how well this particular point will work, but we'll see. It probably depends on how well Obama fights back against it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
ZealousD said:

He wanted Obama to join him in a town hall Q&A like session today at the Urban League. Brokaw pressed him on it last Sunday and his answer was that too many debates are bad.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
UltimaKilo said:
He wanted Obama to join him in a town hall Q&A like session today at the Urban League. Brokaw pressed him on it last Sunday and his answer was that too many debates are bad.

They are. I don't want to have to watch 10 debates. 3 is fine.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
UltimaKilo said:
says the man who was involved in nearly two dozen debates during the primaries. i personally would've liked to see a few town hall-esque debates but Obama's rejection doesn't concede anything to McCain. this is especially when compared to McCain's performance in the Republican debates, where he was consistently surly and sneering whenever any opponent countered him.

UltimaKilo said:
Not at all, but the debates will be McCain's to loose. I never said Obama was a twit, I really don't think he is. I'll say that John McCain can have good debates, and he can have bad ones. The problem McCain has is if he comes out like he did on Wolf Blitzer's interview last week, looking almost whining with his tone of voice, and very nervous (kinda like Ron Paul in the debates). So yeah, I have seen them both in interviews, and perhaps I should have re-worded what I posted, but I was too lazy. :p
In all seriousness, I think McCain has been very fortunate that the spotlight hasn't been cast on him. Maybe he has just embraced it and hasn't really been trying, so perhaps he's been saving all of his political skill for venues such as the debates. But as it stands, I see Republicans going "I can't wait for the debates!" and all I can think is that I agree. McCain has been doing a horrible job speaking on the issues, and if he doesn't elevate his game, I have no doubts that he's going to come across as horrifically out of touch on the issues.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
says the man who was involved in nearly two dozen debates during the primaries. i personally would've liked to see a few town hall-esque debates but Obama's rejection doesn't concede anything to McCain. this is especially when compared to McCain's performance in the Republican debates, where he was consistently surly and sneering whenever any opponent countered him.
He specifically cited those as when he talked about there being too many.

Eric P

mccain has annoyed me so much this week that i have donated again to obama, something i said i wouldn't do again after the fisa thing.

this is just utter bullshit all around

TDG

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I noticed this too. Hurm. Disappointing.
Well, not really knowing the context, I would say that they're right. If it was CNBC then I'd wager they were talking about the stock market, and the richer people, the people who are most likely to have a lot of stocks, are going to have their taxes raised if the dems come into power.

McCain is suffering an unprecidented backlash from CNN commenters: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...on-obama-they-will-call-him-the-one/#comments

look at the comments, ussually u get a handful of McCain supporters in every story, this is a smackdown against him

similiar backlash to the ad on msnbc: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/01/1241902.aspx#comments

50/50 split at abcnews: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/mccain-campaign.html

50/50 split at cbs: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/01/politics/horserace/entry4315500.shtml

I think GAF should get together and work on something collectively to help the campaign. I don't know what we could do... but there has to be something (other then donating).

maynerd

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I think GAF should get together and work on something collectively to help the campaign. I don't know what we could do... but there has to be something (other then donating).

Free hookers for everyone at GAF!

Karma Kramer said:
I say we start a "swift boating" style attack on McCain, go for his strength and spin it.. Namely his time as a POW and his supposed National Security strength.

Somebody with some good video chops and a good voice make a video or two, and we spam the hell out of the blogs with it, call our PAC "Citizens For Truth" or some other empty benevolent name like that

Karma Kramer said:

i think we should get some video talent in here and start making ads against McCain,

AniHawk

So, I'm predicting all the worthless media to go, "IS BARACK OBAMA THE MESSIAH? MCCAIN SEEMS TO THINK SO LOL"

And then they'll spend hours or days talking about how these ads are hurting Obama instead of how fucking bullshit they are of McCain to do.

I just got home and read about all the latest McCain stuff. Has he given a response regarding his latest attack ad? The last time he defended it by focusing on the contrast part of the ad. This time his name doesn't even show up until the "I approved of this message...." part. To me, it seems like someone's got a crush.

Could we work together and make a small youtube video? They play these videos all the time on most network news shows... so if its creative and has a good message... could go a long way in helping.

We could definitely get it to get a lot of hits if we tried.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
polyh3dron said:
I say we start a "swift boating" style attack on McCain, go for his strength and spin it.. Namely his time as a POW and his supposed National Security strength.

Somebody with some good video chops and a good voice make a video or two, and we spam the hell out of the blogs with it, call our PAC "Citizens For Truth" or some other empty benevolent name like that
So you want to sink down to their level or are you just being sarcastic?

Karma Kramer said:
Could we work together and make a small youtube video? They play these videos all the time on most network news shows... so if its creative and has a good message... could go a long way in helping.

We could definitely get it to get a lot of hits if we tried.
I got myself some nice video-capturing software and iMovie, and a youtube account.

Dax01 said:
I got myself some nice video-capturing software and iMovie, and a youtube account.

Well what we should do is make a new thread. But basically we need to come up with what the ad will do... then people need to find clips of Obama or McCain that would work in the video... then someone edit it together nicely.

Shouldn't be that hard.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Maybe McCain will do what W. did yo him in 2000 and spread the rumor that Obama has fathered black babies...

and all obama has to do is bring mcCain's first wife who is paralysed and was divorced by McCain because she got disfigured, tgell her story and its game over.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Here is my GAF screenplay:

John McCain (flashback): I promise to run an honest and decent campaign.

(Across the screen, images of McCain's wonderful new ads play)

(Close-up of John McCain sneers at the camera, as a CGI "Straight-Talk Express transitions the screen to black).

alr1ghtstart said:
Here is my GAF screenplay:

John McCain (flashback): I promise to run an honest and decent campaign.

(Across the screen, images of McCain's wonderful new ads play)

(Close-up of John McCain sneers at the camera, as a CGI "Straight-Talk Express transitions the screen to black).

too soft

Here is a GAF screenplay

Show McCains first wife on wheel chair, explain her trajedy and just add her qoute: he left me after i got disfigured.

(Text: Would you trust this man to take care of us?)

slowly fade to black....

artredis1980 said:
too soft

Here is a GAF screenplay

Show McCains first wife on wheel chair, explain her trajedy and just add her qoute: he left me after i got disfigured.

(Text: Would you trust this man to take care of us?)

slowly fade to black....
PERFECT.

DO IT, that's video number 1.

When she wasn't doing too well, he gave up on her and left her hanging for a young cute blonde with lotsa money.

What makes you think he'll stand by America?

Touchdown

Banned
I remember reading a while back that McCain had to spend all the money before the convention. I wonder if McCain's people just said let's just spend the rest of our money on shredding the character of Obama and see what happens. What annoys me is that every "news" channel plays these moronic commercial/internet ads and gets free play for McCain camp.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Touchdown said:
I remember reading a while back that McCain had to spend all the money before the convention. I wonder if McCain's people just said let's just spend the rest of our money the character of Obama and see what happens. What annoys me is that every "news" channel plays these moronic commercial/internet ads and gets free play for McCain camp.

Well, there is some pushback today. Keith is going to fucking explode later, that is certain. However, even Dick Gregory is calling out some of their bullshit about what McCain really wants this campaign to be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom