• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

PhoenixDark said:
Are you serious? Bush's approval rating hovers around 20%, the economy is in shambles, an unpopular war is killing Americans and Iraqis daily, and Obama can't open any significant leads on his republican opponent who he has tried (and constantly failed) to paint as Bush's heir. Please explain to me how that signifies the race is magically a done deal now.
The GOP hasn't been in this bad of shape since post-watergate in 1976. BTW Carter lead by over 20% over Ford in the summer of '76...

Branduil

GhaleonEB said:
The AFL-CIO didn't waste any time.

aflmccainfront.jpg

aflmccainback.jpg
Garbage like this is why I'll never join a union.

Branduil

PhoenixDark said:
Are you serious? Bush's approval rating hovers around 20%, the economy is in shambles, an unpopular war is killing Americans and Iraqis daily, and Obama can't open any significant leads on his republican opponent who he has tried (and constantly failed) to paint as Bush's heir. Please explain to me how that signifies the race is magically a done deal now.
That is pretty odd. By all rights Obama should be decimating McCain in the polls. He'll probably still win but the fact that he's no leading by more seems to indicate he's not doing something right.

TDG

Banned
Branduil said:
That is pretty odd. By all rights Obama should be decimating McCain in the polls. He'll probably still win but the fact that he's no leading by more seems to indicate he's not doing something right.
People just don't buy the McCain=Bush2 message, a lot of people still believe the "John McCain maverick" message, and a lot of people just go with their party's guy.

Cheebs said:
The GOP hasn't been in this bad of shape since post-watergate in 1976. BTW Carter lead by over 20% over Ford in the summer of '76...

I don't think the health of the GOP will have anything to do with the results. The entire election is about Obama and whether people are ready to elect him; as the article states polls show people WANT a democratic candidate, they just apparently don't want Obama (or aren't totally sold on him).

All indicators point to a democratic win/possible blowout yet Obama can't gain a lead. He's up by what, 3-5 points in Michigan and Ohio right now. Those don't strike me as firm holds, and losing both states plus Florida would almost guarantee a loss...and from what I see that's very possible

If he was running against any republican other than McCain he'd probably be winning

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
PhoenixDark said:
If he was running against any republican other than McCain he'd probably be winning
my eyes must be deceiving me then.

if this election has become a referendum on Obama, then McCain's maverickosity has no bearing on this election. his many gaffes, the dubious ties of his advisors, and his sneering disposition matters little to the public.

APF

We haven't had the conventions yet, or a single debate. People still don't even know there's an election coming up, and those who do are sick of the meaningless persnickety coverage. If Obama doesn't get a convention bounce, or starts to lose debates, then worry.

Kusagari

PhoenixDark said:

Bush's approval rating means nothing. Bush would still probably get 35-40% of the vote if he ran again. Most Republicans feel like it's their duty to vote Republican no matter what.

For reference, the difference in popular vote percentage between first and second place finishers in presidential race in recent elections.

2004: 2.4%
2000: -0.5%
1996: 8.5%*
1992: 5.6%*
1988: 7.8%
1984: 18.2%
1980: 9.7%

*significant third party effect

scorcho said:
my eyes must be deceiving me then.

if this election has become a referendum on Obama, then McCain's maverickosity has no bearing on this election. his many gaffes, the dubious ties of his advisors, and his sneering disposition matters little to the public.

Perhaps a poor choice of words. As I said though, that's not a significant lead by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you dig deeper and realize he has weak "leads" in Michigan and Ohio; granted McCain has a weak "lead" in Florida as well, but I think it's pretty safe to say he'll take that crazy place, just as Obama will most likely win Penn. despite his weak leads there.

Yea it's still early but all the signs are in the dem's favor yet...

scorcho

as APF said parsing this much out of polling data before debates have even started yet is a waste of energy. should Obama be polling higher considering the general tenor of the country? sure, but he's also a black freshman Senator who a sizable number negatively view as some inscrutable Muslim.

and as much as we'd like to think we're a post-racial society that isn't the case.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
scorcho said:
as APF said parsing this much out of polling data before debates have even started yet is a waste of energy. should Obama be polling higher considering the general tenor of the country? sure, but he's also a black freshman Senator who a sizable number negatively view as some inscrutable Muslim.

and as much as we'd like to think we're a post-racial society that isn't the case.

Not even that, I don't think they are taking into account the people that are registering for Obama.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:

Exactly.

APF

I'll just say I think the microscopic focus a lot of you folks have on this race (obsessing over daily polls, etc), plus the perceived need to discuss the election 24/7 warps your perspective a great deal re: how most Americans deal with politics and elections. We've come a looong way from literal stump speeches and seven-hour long debates.

scorcho

onto more positive news, barring the death of the top twenty Dems on Obama's shortlist it looks like Hillary Clinton will not be named VP. she's been given the Tuesday slot at the national convention, Bill and the VP Wednesday, then Obama Thursday.

woo.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
onto more positive news, barring the death of the top twenty Dems on Obama's shortlist it looks like Hillary Clinton will not be named VP. she's been given the Tuesday slot at the national convention, Bill and the VP Wednesday, then Obama Thursday.

woo.
Yup. It was a way for them to confirm it won't be her in advance, while still giving her some spotlight.

Banned
scorcho said:

heh, people might not like Obama becuase of his lack of accomplishments or tax policy, not becuase he is black.

Honestly you guys are more obsessed with race than most Americans are.

scorcho said:

This is all correct.

Also people need to understand that a small 3-5% lead in national polls can easily result in a landslide in the electoral college come november.

GhaleonEB

Honestly you guys are more obsessed with race than most Americans are.
We're on a message board talking about politics every day. Just as the gamers on the gaming side are more hard-core than the masses buying Wii Fit, the PoliGAF crew are more in tune and interested than the mainstream public. I think everyone here is pretty aware of that.

I mean, duh.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:
I'll just say I think the microscopic focus a lot of you folks have on this race (obsessing over daily polls, etc), plus the perceived need to discuss the election 24/7 warps your perspective a great deal re: how most Americans deal with politics and elections. We've come a looong way from literal stump speeches and seven-hour long debates.

Exactly this as well. You and scorcho do the talking, I'll do the nodding.

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
We're on a message board talking about politics every day. Just as the gamers on the gaming side are more hard-core than the masses buying Wii Fit, the PoliGAF crew are more in tune and interested than the mainstream public. I think everyone here is pretty aware of that.

I mean, duh.
:lol you are more in tune with politics, yet the only reasoning you guys have for Obama not killing Mccain in meaningless polls is "everyone's part of the klan! RUNNN!!"

maynerd

Banned
APF said:

Who's obsessing?

080811DailyUpdateGraph1_hjkmnbv.gif

gO-bama!

scorcho

:lol you are more in tune with politics, yet the only reasoning you guys have for Obama not killing Mccain in meaningless polls is "everyone's part of the klan! RUNNN!!"
race is a part of it. i have no idea if it is a dominating factor or not (though i suspect it is tied into the whole 'he's not one of us/inscrutable' argument), but i find it pretty ignorant to argue that Obama's race plays no factor at all in segments of the electorate.

i'll take a "small" 5pt win any day of the week and twice on sunday. that's at least 300 electoral votes. and last time i checked, all was needed to win was 270.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Ah, Mr. Smug Laughy Guy, always so condescending. Always. Good shit, avatar299. Must be hard to pull that off.

Incognito said:
i'll take a "small" 5pt win any day of the week and twice on sunday. that's at least 300 electoral votes. and last time i checked, all was needed to win was 270.
What's considered a "landslide" victory going by electoral votes?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
APF said:
We haven't had the conventions yet, or a single debate. People still don't even know there's an election coming up, and those who do are sick of the meaningless persnickety coverage. If Obama doesn't get a convention bounce, or starts to lose debates, then worry.

WTF!? APF the 100% logical one? You know you have too many scared people when APF comes through as the most logical one.

I agree 1000%. And why hasn't more people asked....what would happen if McCain lost by 4%?

tanod

when is my burrito
mckmas8808 said:
WTF!? APF the 100% logical one? You know you have too many scared people when APF comes through as the most logical one.

I agree 1000%. And why hasn't more people asked....what would happen if McCain lost by 4%?

I'm sure there is still a group of people who don't know that Obama has secured the nomination against HRC.

TDG

Banned
APF said:
This is true. We are in the dog days of the election season. Everything we are seeing from the media and the polls is about to seriously change (at the conventions.)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Incognito said:

Exactly, Clinton v Dole and reagan v Carter are both considered landslides, but the popular vote total wasnt that large of a gap.

The point is that such a small margin suggests there's no consensus and isn't breathing room; I'm not simply saying "lol he's only up by 4%, he can't win." And more importantly it suggests Obama is under performing considering the country's current political climate which favors his party

gkryhewy

PhoenixDark said:
The point is that such a small margin suggests there's no consensus and isn't breathing room; I'm not simply saying "lol he's only up by 4%, he can't win." And more importantly it suggests Obama is under performing considering the country's current political climate which favors his party

But he's overperforming relative to other black guys with "hussein" in their names :lol

Wow. I'm hearing that CNN put it out there this morning that the Obama camp might have known about the Edward's scandal before JE came clean. When I think they can't get any worse CNN finds a new low daily.

I seriously think the only voice of reason there is Cafferty. I didn't always agree with Geoffrey Toobin but at least he seemed impartial as part of the evening panel with Gloria "McCain is a Maverick" Borger leaning to the right.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:

The point is its WAAAAY too early to throw in the "why isn't Obama leading by more points" question and seriously being nervous.

People thinking a black freshman senator with the name Barack Huessian Obama to be leading by 20 points nationally is straight stupid. He is running against a well established white military ex POW war hero.

tanod

when is my burrito
maximum360 said:
Wow. I'm hearing that CNN put it out there this morning that the Obama camp might have known about the Edward's scandal before JE came clean. When I think they can't get any worse CNN finds a new low daily.

Doesn't that make the campaign smart?

TDG

Banned
maximum360 said:
Uh, how is that bad? That seems very, very likely to me, especially if they were once considering JE to be Obama's running mate.

tanod

when is my burrito
November 11th, 2008 media narrative: Barack Obama won the popular vote by 5 points and got 330 electoral votes. Why wasn't the margin of victory higher? Does he even have an electoral mandate?

numble

APF said:
People still don't even know there's an election coming up
Yeah, I remember knocking on the door of some apartment in Las Vegas, 19 year old showed up at the door and said he doesn't want to register to vote and will do it "next election." When I started telling him how important it is this time, etc etc, he was like, "Wait, Obama's not president yet? Okay, I'll register."

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
numble said:
I remember knocking on the door of some apartment in Las Vegas, 19 year old showed up at the door and said he doesn't want to register to vote and will do it "next election." When I started telling him how important it is this time, etc etc, he was like, "Wait, Obama's not president yet? Okay, I'll register."
Obama must be doing a damn good job of acting presidential if people just assume he already is...and somehow...apparently...that is bad for him since people will not vote, assuming he's already won.

:lol

On Politico: http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonat...d_turns_McCains_cabin_into_Tara.html#comments

Picking up on blogger and Schumer hopes that Obama will play the class card, David Axelrod offers this riff to Adam Nagourney:

“Obviously, his strategists met on the portico of the McCain estate in Sedona — or maybe in one of his six other houses — and decided what line of attack they were going to use."

To those who have been there -- and, yes, the press was shamefully seduced with RIBS there earlier this year -- the portrayal of a "portico" on the "McCain estate" is laughable.

While new-agey and cosmopolitan Sedona is just down the road, McCain's cabin is at the base of a dusty valley in a fairly remote part of Arizona. There is a long deck that overlooks a stream and man-made (and stocked) pond, but no Monticello-like columns are to be found.

To go after McCain on the ranch would be akin to dinging Reagan for Santa Barbara or Bush for Crawford -- places that are more bucolic than glamorous.

Dems would be better advised to focus on the "six other houses" part of it, and specifically McCain's set-up on the upscale Coronado Island just across the water from San Diego.

Many Americans have weekend cabins.
Not so many condos on the Pacific Ocean.

This must be the other (more like alternate universe) America John Edwards was referring to.

So I guess we even have the McCain defense force on Politico.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, that's the Republican blogger, but yeah that part of it made me chuckle. Sure, many Americans have weekend cabins, they're called houses they can't sell.

NewLib

Banned
maximum360 said:
On Politico:

This must be the other (more like alternate universe) America John Edwards was referring to.

So I guess we even have the McCain defense force on Politico.

Where I live, tons of people have lake cabins/lake houses. Hell, I know some people who could at best be defined as lower middle-class that have lake cabins.

Property just doesnt cost as much as it does in other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom